What's new

Pakistan Navy interested in type 056

Probably should now work towards a local solution after Milgem and Damen....
Should rather focus on X-Craft subs local solution(like the rumored at PN SF Base), Istanbul class and 052 class (2025+) and if there is still some juice left probably try raising a squadron for own air cover, recon and ASW/AShW...

Two very different platforms with two very different roles. Daemon just arrived here, Sailors are still searching for the washrooms and you have given your verdict that PN ios not happy with them

Daemon is based on commercial super structure that is why its not expensive. It is an ideal ship for patrolling but not suitable for war time deployment. Pakistan could have easily configured Type 056 in the same price range but as Navy already declared it as OPV so no point calling it a corvette. You can easily check why its super structure is not ideal for Military deployments on Google. Pakistan effectively took a lemon in the first place bcz they were worried about cost associated with it.

Two very different platforms with two very different roles. Daemon just arrived here, Sailors are still searching for the washrooms and you have given your verdict that PN ios not happy with them
If Pakistan is really looking for a ASW corvette and Type 56 is not a done thing and they could look for ships in Europe than two main competitors of Type 56 are SIGMA and GOWIND class Corvettes.

If Pakistan is really looking for a ASW corvette and Type 56 is not a done thing and they could look for ships in Europe than two main competitors of Type 56 are SIGMA and GOWIND class Corvettes.
bro...why do we create a binary between low-cost China and high-cost Europe? Why not take the middle-path of locally designing (alone or with Turkish assistance) a corvette and building it locally? We must end this narrative (of limiting choice to Chinese or Western) as it drains our budget and kills our industry.

bro...why do we create a binary between low-cost China and high-cost Europe? Why not take the middle-path of locally designing (alone or with Turkish assistance) a corvette and building it locally? We must end this narrative (of limiting choice to Chinese or Western) as it drains our budget and kills our industry.
That is the way forward and that is exactly why decision to produce MILGEM Corvette in Pakistan is great decision. Also we need to design more fast patrol boats and fast missile boats and than shift our focus on Corvettes and Frigates and even destroyers. I was just saying if we are going to buy corvette we should look around for best options and choose one. For example GOVIND 2500 has more fire power than Type 56 and more expensive but needs half the crew which Type 56 needs. In short we should look at all pros and cons before making a big decision.

That is the way forward and that is exactly why decision to produce MILGEM Corvette in Pakistan is great decision. Also we need to design more fast patrol boats and fast missile boats and than shift our focus on Corvettes and Frigates and even destroyers. I was just saying if we are going to buy corvette we should look around for best options and choose one. For example GOVIND 2500 has more fire power than Type 56 and more expensive but needs half the crew which Type 56 needs. In short we should look at all pros and cons before making a big decision.
Bro the 'best option' for a corvette is to work with Turkey to design one locally. Whatever you're expecting China or Europe to do for us, the Turks will do that and more. Just look at the MILGEM-J. They took the Ada class, stretched it, and then added VLS. So, the capabilities you're looking at in the Gowind 2500, I guarantee you the Turks will be able to help us design a ship of similar size with the same capabilities, including VLS.

Examples:

Delta Marine C-1200:
HO5_OV70U0jcC_8aTLgAoXbnMDJJSF-Rd-2Bj74wSZeftOieBYdL1RRqqE6LQM9egY0k68PybYPQG9eZNpe8EgqsUugkFd0fSmZSgBaQRYxG4I_aAx8XPJnOHfrEPJc259ACFtbGBKBc-V9SDw

v7NxAa7ys0Vt4mwja1DR1DAgfO24G-UJkvIlkl21qfSW4puevTX2oU3GILxFMLOB0eqToYUPSGLilzsHaExtm3wpD0bgnGWMLECTBJ5mEVlvQ1m6ZnIZ-tUkzz2Ffcj-RNQkM13gbUe1hgkePw

RMK Marine Corvette Concept:
RMK_Marine_IDEF_2015_Corvette.jpg

STM CCT Concept for Brazil
DgjJey8X4AECNRS

I think the costs of building an indigenous weapons system with a bunch of imported sub systems is very high compared to just buying it up front.

I think the costs of building an indigenous weapons system with a bunch of imported sub systems is very high compared to just buying it up front.
I'd agree if it was a competition between different Chinese options, e.g., 056, a variant of F-22P, etc. But my point is if we bring in the Europeans, then the local option is probably as cost-effective, if not more. The European stuff is actually very expensive.

We CAN NOT design locally. Period.
The NRDI's ship design workforce is specially mediocre at best. They can undertake modification/complex repair/rebuild tasks but not original design. The greater emphasis is on churning out pathetic and useless research papers rather than on actual R&D. I have had the opportunity of meeting some people and they just left me with a sense of foreboding that we are destined to buy everything from abroad with only a label of 'Transfer-of-technology'.

PN has taken interest in the type 056, especially the ASW version, at this stage it is a study analysis of the platform capabilities and other aspects.

If this interest is changed into a firm order, upto 8 vessels could be purchased. Again this is subject to finance and some other considerations.
If PN believes that it need more ships in short interval of time then eyeing Type56 make sense. Eight of them can be delivered, I guess, within 3-4 years.

Though PN has only conducted a Feasibility study yet but it still highlights that the need is there. Western options are expensive and domestic product takes very long time, so when one need more ships in less time & less cost, China is the only place to look at.

@Rafi you should look into PN plans regarding OHP.

Last edited:
We recently inducted 1500 ton Ships for PMSA. If one wants to build local industry than why not use same design and improve it locally just as they did with Azmat class.

Best option is to build two more Milgem class corvettes in Pakistan with customized weapons.

bro. what do you think of Israel's Saar-class frigate? and I heard that Iran has been developing 7000-ton class DDG. what do you think?

Seems china is pushing alot of its hardware to pakistan recently through this means..simply to balance out india
bro. You misunderstand us.

1. We did not ask Pakistan to buy our warships.

2. We do not rely on exporting weapons to achieve certain political goals.

3. We will not restrict how you use these (we export to you) weapons.

4. You can buy European warships, buy Turkish warships, buy warships of any country. It is your right. But this has nothing to do with us.

5. If you buy our warship. we will sell it to you. If you don’t buy our warship. we do not have any requests.

I think Pakistan would prefer Russian-style warships: small tonnage & high firepower.:p:
bro. tell the truth. I'm more shocked by Iran's 3000-ton DDG. It has 96 cell VLS !!

d4baa9ec8a136327b65373519e8fa0ec09fac7f8.jpg

896d6e061d950a7bcb2efea605d162d9f2d3c91b.jpg
360截图20200728233502838.jpg

:tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup:

I was very shocked. Iran, Turkey, and Israel have such powerful warship technology! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom