What's new

Pakistan Navy interested in type 056

Rafi

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
PN has taken interest in the type 056, especially the ASW version, at this stage it is a study analysis of the platform capabilities and other aspects.

If this interest is changed into a firm order, upto 8 vessels could be purchased. Again this is subject to finance and some other considerations.

PN has taken interest in the type 056, especially the ASW version, at this stage it is a study analysis of the platform capabilities and other aspects.

If this interest is changed into a firm order, upto 8 vessels could be purchased. Again this is subject to finance and some other considerations.
Although they are Corvettes but Pakistan could use them as OPV. Just like our Yarmook. I am taking a guess and I seriously believe Type 54 A order will also increase could go up to 8 Ships

where did u get this info from ?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_056_corvette

should be going for destroyers
Destroyers and big Frigates with VLS for Land Attack Cruise Missiles are must for offensive capability

IMO ... if accurate ... the PN should probably either stick with using the Damen OPV 1900 (with ASW modules) or commission NRDI to design a multi-mission corvette in-house. If the latter, leverage Damen's philosophy of using commercial standards for build quality, but load with AShW, ASW and AAW (via a VLS module).

IMO ... if accurate ... the PN should probably either stick with using the Damen OPV 1900 (with ASW modules) or commission NRDI to design a multi-mission corvette in-house. If the latter, leverage Damen's philosophy of using commercial standards for build quality, but load with AShW, ASW and AAW (via a VLS module).
Damen SIGMA Corvette also fall in same category at least when it comes to firepower although they are more expensive

Looks like a pretty aged design, considering Bangla has it.

You need count in two factors
1.kick back/comissions
2. Chinese cheap financing

You need count in two factors
1.kick back/comissions
2. Chinese cheap financing
I can get (1), but (2) would be weird as that'd still mean spending X per year anyways.

I think it'd be better to get NRDI to use what's learning from the MILGEM to design a smaller corvette. NRDI could even get the Dutch, Turks, Poles, etc to help. With the right team, we can get a 1,500-ton ship with AShW, ASW as well as AAW via an 8-cell VLS. Build some commonality with the MILGEM-J.

I can get (1), but (2) would be weird as that'd still mean spending X per year anyways.

I think it'd be better to get NRDI to use what's learning from the MILGEM to design a smaller corvette. NRDI could even get the Dutch, Turks, Poles, etc to help. With the right team, we can get a 1,500-ton ship with AShW, ASW as well as AAW via an 8-cell VLS. Build some commonality with the MILGEM-J.

Will this not mean starting from drawing board?

Which, inadvertently, means 15 years (at least) for the ship to enter the waters.

may be PN is working on a new Strategy to use smaller ships to counter much larger IN ..

Will this not mean starting from drawing board?

Which, inadvertently, means 15 years (at least) for the ship to enter the waters.
Ship design works a little differently from aircraft.

Pakistan doesn't make any of the major inputs for a ship, even if it designed the ship locally. The steel, engine, the electronics, etc, will come from abroad regardless. So, all of those inputs are available off-the-shelf.

The challenging part is to design that actual vessel -- so configure/layout the inputs, ensure weight distribution, and meet sea state requirements, etc. However, once you develop the expertise, it doesn't take long to design a solution -- that is why there are a lot of 'ship designers' in the world (including places like Romania, Poland, etc).

I think the NRDI can design a corvette if given the opportunity, especially if it taps into expertise from Turkey, the Netherlands, etc. It won't take 15 years for the first ship to enter waters, perhaps 3-5 years.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom