What's new

Pakistan must manufacture it's own heli

In Japan , Misubishi - Honda and other Auto giants also have a role in Japanese military , we on other hand have sold out our own research and development in favor of quick donations from other countries, with UK their Rolls Royce engines , and with Germany we all know their BMW company was once also providing military engines I am sure I read that....

The reality is that we have solid our our sovereignty , once we said yes its ok to import engines and cars from other countries , and killing our own markets .... local auto makers went bankrupt , and the small gains that crooks made they are probbly dead now ...

This is why , for our JF17 Thunders we have to rely on Russian Engines , because our leaders did not had the mind to move our Auto Manufacturing sector

All these Auto gaints were key factor in world wars , becasue they drove the tanks and other military vehicles on their engines and technology ...and german engines were renowned for their performance.

Obviously here we are 2011 , and we have 0 Auto company , that is a independent Research and development

Most companies are "collaborations" all the research and development is done outside , they merely assemble the parts
and call it a Pakistani Suzuki , or Pakistani bike, or Pakistani SUV ....

There is no pride unless the damn engine is made locally

And surprisingly , we have the resources but no one finds necessary to train a generation of engineers who will move our nations forward, instead we keep importing this vital need for our country's survival from outside

Azad !

in the name of all that is holy !
I beg you, please stop !

Thanks for posting your valuable comments. I have read each and I agree with the Aamir that we need to spend more on education and I also agree with others who have suggested to join existing platforms.

The idea is to make Pakistan strong. We can do that by generating more tax but we need new industry for businesses to invest and earn revenue and pay tax. Helicpoter manufacturing will help our defence and also bring investment and will eventually generate tax.

Funds will NOT be a problem. In 1998, a well known Pakistani businessman temporarily moved from Pakistan to Canada due to threats from the Sharif family. He told his host that since he will be here for a few days so he need to transfer some funds to a Canadian bank. His host took him to a bank and that Pakistani businessman transferred $34 million. Pakistanis have a lot of money and they will invest in Pakistan if the security and business conditions are right.

We will never know our potential unless we try.

I would say that we divide the project in different phases. Phase one could be selection of a simple two seater heli for civilian purposes as a role model. the goal is to have a reasonable cost so that businesses and individuals can afford it. Trust me tehre will be many individuals in Pakistan who woule like to show off their wealth.

Any ideas on phases and two seat heli?

Why would you want a local heli?
Its a simple issue of supply and demand..
You have a small demand for now..and the Chinese can meet it.
The Iranians manufacture their local choppers because nobody else will sell to them, you havent reached that point yet.
What you need is local Solar power, local wind power.
What you need is local hybrid car solutions..

BMW actually helped Germany in WWII develope some of their most advance engines for German aircraft.

Why would you want a local heli?
Its a simple issue of supply and demand..
You have a small demand for now..and the Chinese can meet it.
The Iranians manufacture their local choppers because nobody else will sell to them, you havent reached that point yet.
What you need is local Solar power, local wind power.
What you need is local hybrid car solutions..

Do u want to end up like Iran? iran still has oil so even in the toughest of sanctions in can go ahead with such project ............But we cant!

Why not invest in a heli or do a JV with turkey,china or Ukraine? or hell buy a heli frm china with ToT!

We do have a shortage of helis.

Pakistan needs helicopters not only for military purposes but civilian purposes for transporting people with a medical emergency to hospitals when needed. Helicopters for businesses and other reasons.

Helicopters are needed

a) For Air rescue, emergency patient lifts to hospitals from remote areas
b) For Tracking smugglers
c) For stopping illegal border crossings
d) For monitoring Pakistani sea costs , for drug traffickers

Also for Natural Disaster releif copters are needed to take water and airlift people from roofs

They can be used to carry water and drop it on top of buildings to releif fires

Finally Gunship helicopter and , transport services are needed to deploy troops on top of buildings where they come done to clear out garrison buildings (example PNS mehran case , you don't rush from ground on garrision building)

Since 80's our Auto sector has bit the dust , why becasue , Mr Zia imported the policy that , we will not manufacture anything , but we will import it

Guess what ... now we have sanctions and we can't build a helicopter because we do not have the tools

We are almost 40 years behind in term of automotive engineering , and also basic engines every thing related to engines are imported in from outside:sick:

Also finally cities like Karachi , where terrorist fire and run on motor bikes , if we have police copters in air the terrorist on bikes would not be as efficient as they would get captured

During 60-70's we enjoyed a mini industrial good time , where we had big industries in Pakistan profitable companies , and with 80's our progressed diminished and we are now where we are becasue local manufacturing sector reaks

i say build something like the A 10 and annihilate anhthing that tries to cross pakiatan afghanistan border.

BMW actually helped Germany in WWII develope some of their most advance engines for German aircraft.

Of course, BMW is known now becasue they were the company that fueled German Strength !!

Similarly Japanese companies , example Mitsubishi , is all over engineering projects from cars, to nuclear plants in Japan why because Japan supports its local companies , to sell cars in Japan , they make $$ from it and this is later used to build roads, and other engineering projects.

Even India , has a solid policy to NOT allow import of expensive cars , unless big duties are paid

In Pakistan - its not any XYZ person can bring a car (registered or unregistered) just ship it and bring it to Pakistan. Which has killed off Pakistani Automotive sector 100%

And normally engineering , companies in automotive sector are what give you big engines down the line for your planes, and helicopters and Tanks

This is why we are importing engines

Similarly Ford, Rolls Royce , played vital roles for Allied force during WW2 and today they continue to inspire next generation engines and ideas mean while Gilani will still tell you next month his imported car will arrive and clear customs proudly that it will be a joint venture , and marvel of engineering

Its not even that we don't have the people or capacity or desire I look at our mechanics , I mean the miracles they perform to make some of the cars function , I mean all they need is mentoring and I am sure , we can also develop a solid "real engineering" base in Pakistan for auto sector. Not just blindly importing in cars or setting up dealerships claiming its Pakistani made when its just a assembly line

What missing is lack of vision and long term vision

I mean we are thirsty our current solution is oh just go to Lala ji's shop and buy mineral water bottle shipped from Australia mind you , anytime , australia says they do not have water we are doomed

But , we could simply get water from Pakistan if we just moved our lazy self and drilled a hold and took out water with a little discomfort but our current mentality is ... oh no problem just drink mineral water from bottle pay the money ... all will be well

Uses of Helicopter (In case it is affordable)
1. Army Aviation
2. Navy, Air-force
3. Coast Guard
4. Anti Narcotics
5. Air Ambulance
6. VIP transport
7. Police
8. Rangers
9. Tourism
10. Export

Its really mind numbing why our Army does not wants Helicopters ? Why there is no logic , any military General would say look we need Copters to protect our troops on ground - the neglect is surprising and shocking if we even had initiated a plan back in 80's by now we would have been flying 3 variants of local Pakistani copters -

Do u want to end up like Iran? iran still has oil so even in the toughest of sanctions in can go ahead with such project ............But we cant!

Why not invest in a heli or do a JV with turkey,china or Ukraine? or hell buy a heli frm china with ToT!

We do have a shortage of helis.

Yes, but we dont have a shortage of suppliers..
You dont just get up in the morning and do a JV..
A JV means you expect a return on your investment.
A JV means you invest more per heli since you partake in the development.
A Jv means you have to meet economy of scale.
Our req is 40-50 more heli's tops..
Not 200 like India..
and unlike Turkey we dont have a local industry base that does not need a massive upgrade to handle such a project.

Pakistanis have transfererred $2.1 billion to Malaysia since 2002 and Pakistanis have over $200 billion YES $200 billion in Swiss banks. This doesn't include the Pakistani wealth in North America, UK and the ME. On top of that there are many rich Pakistanis with their wealth in Pakistan so funds are never going to be a problem as long as it is a viable project.

We need helis for civilian and military purposes and there is a lot of demand. To think that Armed forces are not interested in a heli is not correct. It has always been the issue of limited resources so this project can take care of that issue.

US invented electronic microscope while working on a space craft. By going for a Pakistani heli we are also opening roads for other technology and platforms.

Pakistan needs to do a lot of stuff.
You can't just invest a few billions and make a helicopter.It just isn't like that.
This kind of stuff starts from the roots,you invest in your countries security,education,healthcare,business,human development,better quality of life,industry,research and years of this funding will result in a team of qualified dedicated and hardworking engineers ready to do wonders for you.You can't become a super power overnight.Stop idealizing US;it is a 200 year old country and has seen it's share of history.You have to plot your own course and take it slow and steady.

In Japan , Misubishi - Honda and other Auto giants also have a role in Japanese military , we on other hand have sold out our own research and development in favor of quick donations from other countries, with UK their Rolls Royce engines , and with Germany we all know their BMW company was once also providing military engines I am sure I read that....

The reality is that we have solid our our sovereignty , once we said yes its ok to import engines and cars from other countries , and killing our own markets .... local auto makers went bankrupt , and the small gains that crooks made they are probbly dead now ...

This is why , for our JF17 Thunders we have to rely on Russian Engines , because our leaders did not had the mind to move our Auto Manufacturing sector

All these Auto gaints were key factor in world wars , becasue they drove the tanks and other military vehicles on their engines and technology ...and german engines were renowned for their performance.

Obviously here we are 2011 , and we have 0 Auto company , that is a independent Research and development

Most companies are "collaborations" all the research and development is done outside , they merely assemble the parts
and call it a Pakistani Suzuki , or Pakistani bike, or Pakistani SUV ....

There is no pride unless the damn engine is made locally

And surprisingly , we have the resources but no one finds necessary to train a generation of engineers who will move our nations forward, instead we keep importing this vital need for our country's survival from outside

I beg to differ with you. In India during the Licence Raj, there ere very few car models and motor bikes available in the market. Once economy is opened for foreign companies, it has created a healthy competition and Indian companies started producing lot of new stuffs. Now Tata, Mahindra, Leyland and Bajaj are few of the many leading Indian automobile companies which are going very well in India. It is up to the government to make policies to open the market for fireign companies and at the same time to protect domestic industries.

Back
Top Bottom