What's new

Pakistan – living in denial?

Proud to be a Pakistani

By Basil Nabi Malik

June 13, 2010

The writer is a lawyer with Malik, Chaudhry, Ahmed and Siddiqi in Karachi (basil.nabi@tribune.com.pk)

I came across a small blog the other day in which a ‘social activist’ was asked to highlight five great things about Pakistan. The activist refused to do so, saying that he/she couldn’t think of one good thing to say about the country, nor would he/she lie for the sake of indulging the public. Now at the risk of sounding reactionary, I must say that I was surprised to read that response from an activist who apparently was trying to bring a positive change to the country. And clearly, I don’t agree.

Although we may have a lot to complain about, we certainly have things to celebrate, one of which is our youth. When the earthquake came to the North, I personally saw how the youth rose to the challenge and risked their lives, money and valuables to help Pakistanis in need. Students from ‘elitist’ universities were seen jostling up rugged terrains with a couple of bottles of water and a backpack full of relief goods, for the simple reason that this was the only method of reaching those inaccessible areas where trucks or helicopters could not reach. They did it at their own volition, and at the risk of their lives.

I have seen this youth take the politics of Pakistan in their hands and force it to bow to the will of the people. When the judiciary was attacked by a not so benevolent dictator, it was the youth amongst the lawyers and civil society who declared constitutionalism as their slogan and used all peaceful means to achieve their goals. And that too at a time when the political parties wouldn’t dare to openly oppose General Musharraf and frankly, couldn’t care less for the cause of the judiciary.

I have also seen students from impoverished backgrounds who end up in Harvard, Columbia and other Ivy League institutions through sheer determination and hard work. Their motivating factor was the ability to better the lives of their fellow countrymen on completing their education. And finally, I have also seen members of the youth dreaming of and planning to set up schools and universities in the rural areas of the country for the greater good of society, and in fact, many actually succeeded in building the same on a non-profit basis.
The point of stating all of this, and perhaps the obvious, is that not all is lost as some would have us believe. There are so many wrongs in this society, but clearly our older generation must have done something right to bring up a youth which has such ambitions considering the prevalent sense of hopelessness.

An incident that took place recently sums up the state of affairs as I see it. A friend had been thinking of how he could make a difference in this country. So one random day he gifted me a book titled Three Cups of Tea. The inspiring book is about the journey of Greg Mortenson who raises funds for and successfully establishes a network of schools across Gilgit-Baltistan through sheer perseverance and dedication. Although clearly moving, the real message for me was contained on its inside page, where the friend wrote a small message which said “Dear Basil, maybe this is the first step!” Well, my friend, if not the first step, it surely is a step in the right direction.

Published in the Express Tribune, June 14th, 2010.

You mentioned good things about Pakistani people, we all agree they are very good and hardworking. What about the good things in country, government?:azn:

Omar,

Analyzing and understanding our weaknesses only makes us stronger, even if the commentary on our perceived weaknesses may not necessarily be completely accurate (and lets accept that there are differences of opinion on that count).

I often say that there no other nation has commentators in the mainstream media as self-critical and amenable to introspection as Pakistan, and while annoying at times, it is also a source of pride and confidence that we are willing to look deep into ourselves to understand ourselves better.

I have a question for you and many of your friends, first let me start by saying thank you for posting that article, but seriously dont you guys have any thing else to do but to find articles that show us in bad light either intentionally or unintentionally, articles that are highlighting our problems? Good that you guys are so concerned about us. But when ever we see any thing about india its india booming, india this, india at the top of the world. Dont any thing go wrong in india at all. Or are you guys too busy finding articles about Pakistan that y'all forget to look at your own problems?

And just to clarify, as I might get accused for it I am not trying to troll, rather its a genuine query.

I share the same sentiments...either it is Pakistan's economy/aid or Indian toilets. Such a waste of time.

A Q Khan or no A Q Khan, India and Pakistan are signatories to almost exactly the same treaties regarding nuclear issues. Hence both deserve the same treatment.

Our sites are secure. Material is secure. Warheads our secure. Proliferation is not an issue anymore.

No hypocrisy. Give us nuclear fuel like India, let Chinese give us reactor support and if the US seriously wants to see us come out of the WoT as a stable nation, give us reactors to help ease our electricity crisis.

sparklingway i respect your attitude and reasoning but just being signatories on a treaty dint stop nuclear material from Pakistan ending up in Libya and North Korea. India and Pakistan cannot be compared in terms of nuclear technology as India has a spotless record and that has been acknowledged by the NSG and the US. I just dont buy this logic that just because India has something Pakistan must be given the same treatment. India has built its reputation over a long period of time which Pakistan still hasnt managed to. Even we had many sanctions on us after the Pokran test but rather being deterred we worked hard to keep our nuclear program spotlessly clean and because of that we today have the capability to negotiate nuclear deal with countries like France, Canada and the US.

The WOT has nothing to do with the nuclear deal and cannot be related, Pakistan can be stable with or without a nuclear deal so that point does not work. Pakistan's energy requirements are infact quite modest in comparison and just utilizing Pakistan enormous hydro and wind power potential can take care of that issue. Pushing for a nuclear deal seems more than competing with India rather than having a genuine requirement.

I personally believe that Pakistan is going after the nuclear deal as a tit for tat obsecession with Indo US nuke deal. Using the same amount of International diplomatic currency, Pakistan can get much more from the international community which can be more beneficial to the people of their country. This obsession of maintaining visible parity with India is costing Pakistan just too much of that capital with a not too great Return on Investment.

As far as India goes, this really is insignificant except as an opportunity to cause trouble for Pakistan by making some noise, but I would rather India not do that and focus elsewhere..

Oh man for the last twenty years I am listening one thing and that is Pakistan will breakup like USSR, but I have notice that Ex-Pakistan's who talk like that get a lot of support of Indians.
They are the same Pakistan who invest in Pakistanis housing market and stock exchange.

Last edited:
This sentence shows the heart of your denial. It is the USA's fault! Grow up. It isn't the USA's fault. It's the fault of the culture of Pakistan in all its many dysfunctions: religious leaders, political leaders, education system, yellow journalism media, ISI, PA, and the ignorant "Pakistani man in the street". The USA doesn't exploit Pakistan. It's the other way around. The USA gets nothing but grief from Pakistan. Pakistan and Iran are the twin bastions of terrorism in the world today. Iran because it likes it that way, Pakistan because it can't seem to govern its own territory.

Charlie Wilson will be smiling at your from the grave and would be saying that thanks Pakistan else USSR would have been in Indian Ocean today.

Yes its not US fault but US could have save Shah of Iran and (both) Bhutto things would have been different in both the countries by now.

The territory Pakistan can't control was out of control of British too for hundreds of years.

Ruhollah Khomeini was in exile in Europe, why was he allowed to go and through Shah of Iran government. From Europe Ruhollah Khomeini was preparing the Iranian Revolution and west was quite , why ???????

Last edited:
I personally believe that Pakistan is going after the nuclear deal as a tit for tat obsecession with Indo US nuke deal. Using the same amount of International diplomatic currency, Pakistan can get much more from the international community which can be more beneficial to the people of their country. This obsession of maintaining visible parity with India is costing Pakistan just too much of that capital with a not too great Return on Investment.

As far as India goes, this really is insignificant except as an opportunity to cause trouble for Pakistan by making some noise, but I would rather India not do that and focus elsewhere..

I do not think that it is such a knee jerk reaction by Pakistan as you are making it out to be.
A member was earlier pointing out about Hydro electric power and how Pakistan should focus on it more.
We do not have control over our water and Hydro electric power also varies significantly depending on the reservoir, not to mention that dam construction is also a heavy investment and time consuming project.
The key here is that after such a heavy investment, we still will not have assured electricity production if the water inflow is not adequate, due to many reasons.

Oil is expensive and also not something we have locally.
Gas is also in short supply.
Coal reserves are ample but mining will take time as well.
The main sources in future will have to be Nuclear and Coal if we hope to achieve a viable energy generation mechanism.

The terrorists horde may have done damage but people of Pakistan will prevail against them, as long as we have an economic recovery.
The recovery will only take place when the nation overcomes its energy crisis. Only then can we expect industrial growth and overall prosperity.
If we achieve a viable energy mechanism which reduces import of oil we shall have even more healthy growth of economy.

Let me assure you that Pakistan has parity with India as far as military use of Nuclear technology is concerned.
Also since we have a credible and ample nuclear weapons technology setup, we do not need the civil Nuclear deal for this purpose since we have this aspect covered.
Civil nuclear deal with Pakistan will not be a threat to anyone, including India.
The reason we want a civil nuclear deal is to ensure that we have access to the global market and can use nuclear technology for large scale electricity production and other peaceful endeavors.
Pakistanis are resourceful but without this access we cannot develop our nuclear program to the level we desire for energy generation.

The use of nuclear technology in desalination of water is also something very practical in the long run, since Karachi is on the coast and is home to a significant population of Pakistan.

For all this to happen, Pakistan needs the civil nuclear deal.

Last edited:
I do not think that it is such a knee jerk reaction by Pakistan as you are making it out to be.
A member was earlier pointing out about Hydro electric power and how Pakistan should focus on it more.
We do not have control over our water and Hydro electric power also varies significantly depending on the reservoir, not to mention that dam construction is also a heavy investment and time consuming project.
The key here is that after such a heavy investment, we still will not have assured electricity production if the water inflow is not adequate, due to many reasons.

Oil is expensive and also not something we have locally.
Gas is also in short supply.
Coal reserves are ample but mining will take time as well.
The main sources in future will have to be Nuclear and Coal if we hope to achieve a viable energy generation mechanism.

The terrorists horde may have done damage but people of Pakistan will prevail against them, as long as we have an economic recovery.
The recovery will only take place when the nation overcomes its energy crisis. Only then can we expect industrial growth and overall prosperity.
If we achieve a viable energy mechanism which reduces import of oil we shall have even more healthy growth of economy.

Let me assure you that Pakistan has parity with India as far as military use of Nuclear technology is concerned.
Also since we have a credible and ample nuclear weapons technology setup, we do not need the civil Nuclear deal for this purpose since we have this aspect covered.
Civil nuclear deal with Pakistan will not be a threat to anyone, including India.
The reason we want a civil nuclear deal is to ensure that we have access to the global market and can use nuclear technology for large scale electricity production and other peaceful endeavors.
Pakistanis are resourceful but without this access we cannot develop our nuclear program to the level we desire for energy generation.

The use of nuclear technology in desalination of water is also something very practical in the long run, since Karachi is on the coast and is home to a significant population of Pakistan.

For all this to happen, Pakistan needs the civil nuclear deal.

Like always, its a pleasure to read your posts.

My point though was not on the parity of Nuclear weapons since ability to cause even a single nuclear explosion in the opposing country is enough as a deterrant.

My point was more on the ask for this deal. It seems it caught momentum once the Indo US deal came into picture and even the tone from Pakistani establishment leans towards the arguement that since India got this deal, so should Pakistan.

My opinion was around incremental cost (not just money but other aspects like international diplomacy, effort, security infrastructure etc) of energy production for Pakistan thru multiple means. There are much lower hanging fruits on that front that can be plucked with much less effort than aiming for a nuclear deal. I agree that both can go in parallel, but then there is only so much that Pakistan (any country) can focus on at a point in time. So in my opinion it seems that the drive towards a civil nuclear deal is more driven by attaining a visible parity (status wise) with India than by the actual need on the ground that can be serviced by more traditional and less effort intensive means.

Just my 2 cents....

India and Pakistan cannot be compared in terms of nuclear technology as India has a spotless record and that has been acknowledged by the NSG and the US.
I am happy for India, but has India faced the problem Pakistan has? I know they have militants, but surely not bad as the Taliban? Have they been portrayed as a terrorist nation by some Western media? Do they have to deal with terrorist bombing every week? Or waste money to hold border posts near Afghan? Or a extremist ideology that is in danger of spreading all around the country?

Yes, Pakistan has a worse record then India but Pakistan has face many more obstacle. I'm not happy of our current situation but with all due respect, India cannot be compared to Pakistan.

I can not see any connection between AQ Khan network and Taliban problem. Please elaborate.

I am happy for India, but has India faced the problem Pakistan has? I know they have militants, but surely not bad as the Taliban? Have they been portrayed as a terrorist nation by some Western media? Do they have to deal with terrorist bombing every week? Or waste money to hold border posts near Afghan? Or a extremist ideology that is in danger of spreading all around the country?

Yes, Pakistan has a worse record then India but Pakistan has face many more obstacle. I'm not happy of our current situation but with all due respect, India cannot be compared to Pakistan.

Link:

Chowk: Current Affairs: Lets Accept It!

Lets Accept It!

Ali Chishti June 16, 2010

We fell prey to the temptation of nurturing militancy in the name of Islam and thought this to be an easy option as a mean of promoting our strategic goals in the region, particularly in Afghanistan and India. We (Pakistanis) called it ‘Jihad’ and we paid the Jehadis after every Friday prayers athundreds and thousands of mosques all over, Pakistan…obviously the intention was to mobilize and motivate our great, “Martial”, Pakistani Army and irregular armed forces (Mujahideens) of all kinds in the name of Islam.

Pakistan first employed this so called, ‘Islamic Strategy’ against the Soviets forces in Afghanistan from 1979 onwards. By labeling it as an Islamic case, Pakistan managed to receive financial support from Saudia Arabia and various other Muslim countries. Our ‘Islamic Strategy’ got support from the US and China merely because it was directed against the Soviet Union, and they are now reaping it’s bitter consequences as now: they are finding difficult to contain this Frankenstein which probably now has turned into a Godzilla. The involvement of “our”, ISI and participation of Jamaat-i-Islami workers, and activists of its student wing, the Islamai Jamaat-e-Taliba in the Afghan Jihad is no secret. For Pakistan, Afghan Jihad served well and after the withdrawal of Soviet forces from Afghanistan, it started applying export of Jihad strategy against India. We called it, “Intafada” (grand uprising) forgetting that Kashmiris ditched us in 1965 (refer to Ayub Dairies).

Then we believed that the Taliban our baby, who once controlled Afghanistan will be "obedient” and would give our army strategic depth vis-à-vis India. The Talibans who began as reformers, following an “imported sect” (Wahabism) and who imposed an holy war against infidels sent out mercenaries from Afghanistan to kill our people (Pakistanis) who disagreed with there version of Islam – causing more than, 6,000+ sectarian killing in Pakistan from 1996-2001 alone. Jihad however, does not sanction the killing of fellow Muslims on the basis of ethnicity or sect. Yet the Talibans used it for just that. Statistically more then 80,000 Pakistani militants mostly from South Punjab whom we originally nurtured as a proxy against India had fought with the Talibans since their emergence in 1994, which provides for a ‘huge militant’ fundamentalist base for a Taliban style Islamic revolution in Pakisan. The Talibans have thus established close ties not only with the military but with many sections of the Pakistani society. Results? Attacks on Sri Lankan Cricket Team to the attack on GHQ to the recent massacre of Ahmediya community. Armageddon!

Didn’t we create and nurture Taliban and Al-Queda? For transnational terrorism to achieve predominance in the Islamic world? Our establishment apparently felt that by facilitating the vicious partners in the Talibans-Al-Qiada it can obtain their help in pursing its own foreign policy objectives. The most common rationale given for this belief by people like Hamid Gul and Aslam Baig was that our collective effort succeeded in defeating the Soviet Union; forgetting the role of Allied Forces and Afghans completely. Nawaz Sharif the leader of PML-N shouldn’t forget that Lashkar-e-Jhanvi a Sunni sectarian group attempted to assassinate him too in 1999. Besides, our government has encouraged the establishment of such a large number of Islamic militant organizations and groups (such as Taliban, Harkat-ul-Mujahideen, Lakhkar-e-Taiba, Hizb-ul-Mujhadhideen, Hizb-e-Wahadat, Supah-e-Sahaba, Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, Sipah-e-Mohammad and Jaish-e-Mohammad) in the last two decades. The growth of such organizations continued unchecked even during the post-Zia democratic movements and the enlightened moderation guy, former President Pervez Mushraff didn’t do much either. Infact, he played a "bluff".

We have to take the blame for the backlash of our Afghan policy in terms of increased militancy and terrorism at home. The decades long involvement and investment by our agencies in Afghanistan had backfired, and the experience gainaed by militants in the use of explosives and light and heavy weapons are now being applied against our own people. Besides, thousands of volunteers affiliated with the militant religious organizations trained in guerilla warfare in Afghanistan continue to report at the military camps in the Taliban controlled areas of the country every month.

The sad part is that the Islamic parties and militant outfits have given rise to what may be called a Jehadi culture with Jihadi movements and Jihadi strategies which are deployed inside and outside the country by vested interests. The consequences, in terms of instability, disruption, disaffection, conflict and contradiction, within Pakistan and outside is there for everyone to see. Our leadership irrespective of its personal values, attitudes and lifestyles has chosen to ride the Islamic tiger for electoral gains and is now finding it difficult to dismount it. In the wake of their successes, the militant Islamic parties have started pressurizing our government on domestic and foreign policy.

Today we face a Catch 22 situation. “We” and not Black Water, US, Israel or India are responsible. Let’s Accept it. We are paying a heavy social and political price for: patronizing the militants in terms of social and political sects since some of the above-mentioned militant groups are involved in religious and sectarian violence within Pakistan and abroad with our knowledge – apparently, the situation is likely to deteriorate. The growing menace of religious fundamentalism is posing threats to religious tolerance, freedom of expression, civil society and civil liberties. The present regime confronts an acid test and its survival is at stake. The most frightening aspect of fundamentalism in Pakistan is that society itself is becoming fundamentalist and parties based on religion have formed their own armies. It is easier to face a fundamentalist government, not a fanatical society. Instead of the enlightened version of Islam it is the fundamentalist extremist Taliban kind of version which is being promoted and imposed in Pakistan.

Pakistan’s peculiar brand of Islam is based on distortion, fundamentalism, misrule and sadly terrorism. It has done to Pakistan irreparable damage in terms of dismantling civil structure of the country and pushing it on a path of self-destruction.

The issues on the Pakistan’s national agenda which require immediate attention include management of the economic crisis, decentralization of power, religious tolerance, people’s participation in policy-making and people’s pressing need for relief from unemployment insecurity and inflation. No theocracy which is by definition a highly centralized authoritarian entity, can solve these problems. In the present age no nation can avoid becoming a pariah without standing firmly by democracy, peace and the basic rights of all human being. There lies Pakistan’s salvation.

Pakistan vs Pakistan – by Shiraz Paracha | Let Us Build Pakistan

Pakistan vs Pakistan – by Shiraz Paracha
June 18th, 2010 Abdul Nishapuri Leave a comment Go to comments
LUBP Exclusive

Pakistan is a country of contradictions and conflicting identities. It is a country that is at war with itself. A vast majority of Pakistanis are confused and most of them have no clear sense of their place in the world. The military in Pakistan has been in the driving seat since the creation of Pakistan. It is the military, which sets the direction for Pakistan. The military creates national heroes and invents villains. The military makes and remakes history in Pakistan, and often it rewrites history based on the imagination of its commanders.

The fate of Pakistan depends on the ‘wisdom’ of a few generals who sit round a table and decide how the country should be governed, what its ideology should be, how it should be identified in the world, and what its internal and external policies should be. This is the military’s Pakistan and the military’s vision of Pakistan.

As opposed to the military’s vision of Pakistan, there are other visions and identities of Pakistan in Pakistan. To some it is a secular state, others see it as an Islamic state while several political and ethic groups do not want to be part of Pakistan.

The military is the main player and decision maker in Pakistan. Others are either its junior partners or weak adversaries. Civil bureaucracy, big landowners, businessmen and traders as well as religious parties and a powerful section of the Pakistani media are the military’s constituency. They all have been generals’ bedfellows.

The poor of Pakistan are disempowered. They are divided and the most of them have a confused sense of national identity. Since 1977, the military and its junior partners pitched Pakistanis against each other by using religion and ethnicity.

The military has a deep mistrust of civilians, particularly politicians. The military believes it is the only institution that can keep the country united. The military has been using Islam and Urdu language to glue Pakistan together.

Pakistan has a great potential to survive as a state. Historical and cultural bonds among the people of Pakistan are strong. The people of Pakistan have been living together long before the creation of Pakistan. They have similar religious beliefs and practice identical traditions. Pakistanis understand and communicate in common languages. Their food tastes and dress codes are similar. The shared historical experiences and common culture unite Pakistanis.

Geography and dependence on common natural resources are other binding factors. All the four provinces and the Northern Areas of Pakistan economically rely on each other. Without water from the Khyber Pukhtoonkhwa, the Punjab can not produce grains and other agricultural products that feed the whole country. The Baluchistan provides energy in form of gas, and it has untapped natural resources. The Baluchistan also offers some strategic depth that Pakistan needs. The port city of Karachi, the country’s main business hub, is the backbone of Pakistan’s economy.

Pakistanis are extremely smart and talented people. They are warm and loving. The Pakistanis are among one of the best skilled and unskilled workers in the world. Pakistan’s human resources are one of its strengths. It is a country that has obtained nuclear and missile technologies without having a sound scientific and technological base.

Pakistan, however, is a troubled state despite possessing the ability to be a strong and stable country. For the last few years, Pakistan has been also at odds with the rest of the world. The country has been a target of vicious propaganda that has destroyed Pakistan’s international image and the public opinion around the world has turned against Pakistan. The ruling elites of Pakistan cannot counter the negative propaganda because they are intellectually dishonest. And actually they are the ones, particularly the military and the mullahs, who are responsible for the ideological illusions. Perhaps the military and its partners in civil bureaucracy and in religious circles are aware of the shallowness and superficiality of the political and ideological discourse that has been officially adopted in Pakistan.

Indeed, the ideological fathers of Pakistan and the inventers of Pakistan’s false identity feel insecure. They lack confidence. They hide behind a victim mentality and to overcome their fears they have turned Pakistan into a security state that perpetually faces threats of extinction.

Generally the military has been running Pakistan with a commando mentality where achieving a target is important. It does not matter how it is achieved. In such a line of thinking, the rule of law is not a priority. From the military’s point of view Pakistan faces security threats from all sides, therefore, the country is at war and this is the war of survival. With this mindset the military acts and behaves like a paranoid mother. It does not trust anyone, and it is not ready to allow Pakistan to grow independently.

Probably that is why, to the military, the Constitution a piece of paper, and in the eyes of generals politicians are greedy and incompetent fools. From the military’s perspective breaking a law is legitimate and violation of privacy and human rights is acceptable because defending Pakistan is a much bigger goal than building a healthy civil society.
Human life does not have much value in Pakistan because in the military’s view those who die in ‘protecting’ Pakistan—the fortress of Islam are ‘shaheeds’. The Taliban, now, justify their acts by the same logic.

Since military does not respect the rule of law, human rights or the civil society, some of its officers have been violating the law without a shred of shame or regret. Examples of General Zia-ul-Haq, General Aslam Bag, General Hamid Gul, General Asad Durrani and General Pervez Musharraf show us that some of the most senior generals of the Pakistan Army were irresponsible and reckless. Junior officers such a Brigadier (retd) Imtiaz followed his seniors in playing foul.

In order to provide Pakistan with a hero and an icon, the military minds of Pakistan invented a new image of Muhammad Ali Jinnah, the leader of the Pakistan movement, after Jinnah had died. In his life Jinnah followed Victorian values but after death he was Islamized and was portrayed as an icon of the Islamic ideology of Pakistan.

Jinnah had his own contradictions. He had a love and hate relationship with the West.

Towards the end of the 19th century he went to England at a time when Britain was going through significant social and political changes. Centuries-old British traditions and beliefs had been replaced by liberal political ideas. Jinnah was inspired and attracted by those changes. He was mesmerized by the British system. While in Britain, Jinnah adopted English manners, he drank alcohol, ate pork and wore English dresses. He liked and copied English culture but at the end of the day he was a colored man.

The 19th century Britain was deeply racist and class differences were conspicuous in the British society. The English would never accept an Indian as an equal. They would not offer him true respect. Jinnah and other Indians in Britain were from an uncivilized culture and were perhaps viewed as inferior human beings. Indians could copy English manners but the master race was too proud of its history and culture, and with its place in the world.

Jinnah learnt the lesson. His ego and his intellectual pride were hurt in England. Upon his return to India, Jinnah joined the All Indian Congress Party and campaigned for the Indian independence. But in his heart Jinnah was not comfortable. He was not at peace with his Indian identity and, perhaps, he never felt at home in India.

Unlike Jinnah, Gandhi was a part of the Indian soul. He understood his country, its people and their culture. Gandhi attracted the Indian masses because of his charismatic leadership and his understanding of the public psychology. Gandhi dressed like them, he spoke peoples’ language, and he would cross boundaries of race and religion to appear as a true Indian.

On the other hand, Jinnah had a different personality. He was reserved and closed. He was serious and composed. He was honest and sincere but at the same time he was an intellectual with an aristocratic touch. Jinnah was impressed with the late 19th century liberal British political thoughts and he liked Victorian manners. He was a true gentleman but of a different skin color. Jinnah was a misfit in India but he was a misfit in Britain, too.

May be it was Jinnah’s deep identity vacuum and inner crisis of his place in the world that when he joined the All India Muslim League, he turned his dilemma of identity into his greatest strength. He offered a new solution and his solution was the search for a new identity, a separate identity, for himself and his fellow Indian Muslims.

Eventually, he found his identity in form of Pakistan. But once he achieved his goal he saw a larger problem. What kind of country Pakistan would be?

In his addresses just before the creation of Pakistan and after the independence, Jinnah tried to explain what his new country was about. His love for the liberal Western political thought led him to say that Pakistan would be a modern state, which would treat all its citizens equally regardless of their faith, race or creed. And yet the same Jinnah, in his other speeches, pronounced Pakistan a place to experiment Islamic rules and values.

Jinnah died without resolving the identity paradox. He lived with a dichotomy and he died with a dichotomy but Pakistan still faces consequences of Jinnah’s paradoxes.

The military rulers of Pakistan have re-invented Jinnah that fits the military’s vision of Pakistan. Under this vision, some truths cannot be brought to the light and troubling questions are avoided. The result of such a discourse is that everybody, from ordinary people of Pakistan to the media and politicians, lives dual lives and follows double standards. For example, corruption is common among government servants and other segments of the Pakistani society but the most corrupt pretend to be most patriotic Pakistanis and true Muslims. Many drink alcohol but also do not miss Friday prayers. The majority of Pakistanis follow Arabic rituals without understanding the language and the Arabic culture. They are sensitive about their Pakistani identity and yet they adopt and follow foreign cultures and identities.

Pakistanis leave Pakistan and even take citizenships of other countries but then they create ‘little Pakistans’ abroad. In Britain, Pakistanis are the only community who are more engaged in Pakistani politics than the British. Pakistani political and religious parties have their branches and offices abroad. Pakistanis have left the country and have adopted foreign nationalities and yet they are part of the peculiarities and hypocrisies of the Pakistani society.

The above behavior is a sign that we Pakistanis have a problem related to identity. Many of us have an inflated superiority complex and at the same time we are also victims of a misplaced fear about our identity. As a society and as people Pakistanis are not calm and relaxed. There is no real sense of belonging and not a single purpose over which all Pakistanis can agree. This makes Pakistan at war with itself and with other cultures.

Indeed, Pakistan needs fundamental changes in direction and in its political and ideological discourse. Such a change will not be easy. It requires a very big vision and broadminded approach. Pakistan is sucked by violence and intolerance. For a meaningful change, the military must give up its obsession with building and controlling the Pakistani society under an identity that is based on fear, hatred and false pride. Secondly, the military and the civil society should stand up to religious pressure groups and must not bow to their blackmailing. The change in Pakistan should start from the cleaning of the education system and this alone is a momentous task.

The current Army Chief, General Ashfaq Pervez Kayani, has brought some positive changes with regards to the military’s involvement in politics and under his leadership the military seems to have taken a back seat but it is not enough. The military should not be completely excluded from Pakistan’s foreign and domestic affairs but it should sincerely let the civilian leadership to steer Pakistan out of its current state. The military can have advisory role. Pakistan needs peace not an agenda of an expansionist super power.

Last edited:
self-delete: P Hoodbhoy opinions about current affairs in Pakistan...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom