What's new

Pakistan – living in denial?

I would say not all pakistanis are living in denial....infact most of them are aware of this situation and are also worried about it,but there is nothijg actualy in their hands...time is certainly not for denying or accepting but finding solutions....but the solution is a long term one....education and change of general mindset of the people in the society.....but again IMVHO (not to offend anyone)the picture is also largely created by the religious fanaticism.....the more we are like that, the more we tend to belive the narrow thoughts of the narrow minded people. and you know who they are...thy tell us guns are better than books and we follow them.

Amazing article and a must read for sure.

Yes really amazing. why because atleast it is not about the pakistan that i live in ... looks more of a fantacy dramatized and terrorized story of pakistan Of MARS . Pakistan is this pakistan is that...:blah::blah:.... may be there is pakistan on MARS as well???:what:
because atleast the writer and the poster of this don't know anything about my pakistan.

Just another Pakistan bashing article and an indian is posting it... :disagree:

May be a coincidence, but would one of the reasons be the name of the Forum; that many threads are Pakistan related. While the bashing seems to be going on both sides; it is all really absurd.
Believe me, bashing you for your problems will not cause my problems to vanish. They will still follow me like a shadow
:cheers:

True. And I agree with you, I guess I was just annoyed by some one who told me yesterday that Pakistani news outlets are not credible for the info they dish out. We cant just cherry pick what we want to believe in. And yes you are right as we are on a Pakistani forum so that is self explanatory. :cheers:

Hi
The extract of the article in the words of the author is like this " Pakistan is a safe heaven for Taliban & other extremists, its not an appropriate place for investment at all & don't even go there for vacations even if you have relatives over there since its not safe, all media outlets are under Mullah's control especially those who are wary of CIA Mossad nexus are the biggest religious extremists and there fore since my bigotry will be denied by Pakistanis so they are in denial & me Mr. know it all should receive the praise"

One word Propoganda

Proud to be a Pakistani

By Basil Nabi Malik

June 13, 2010

The writer is a lawyer with Malik, Chaudhry, Ahmed and Siddiqi in Karachi (basil.nabi@tribune.com.pk)

I came across a small blog the other day in which a ‘social activist’ was asked to highlight five great things about Pakistan. The activist refused to do so, saying that he/she couldn’t think of one good thing to say about the country, nor would he/she lie for the sake of indulging the public. Now at the risk of sounding reactionary, I must say that I was surprised to read that response from an activist who apparently was trying to bring a positive change to the country. And clearly, I don’t agree.

Although we may have a lot to complain about, we certainly have things to celebrate, one of which is our youth. When the earthquake came to the North, I personally saw how the youth rose to the challenge and risked their lives, money and valuables to help Pakistanis in need. Students from ‘elitist’ universities were seen jostling up rugged terrains with a couple of bottles of water and a backpack full of relief goods, for the simple reason that this was the only method of reaching those inaccessible areas where trucks or helicopters could not reach. They did it at their own volition, and at the risk of their lives.

I have seen this youth take the politics of Pakistan in their hands and force it to bow to the will of the people. When the judiciary was attacked by a not so benevolent dictator, it was the youth amongst the lawyers and civil society who declared constitutionalism as their slogan and used all peaceful means to achieve their goals. And that too at a time when the political parties wouldn’t dare to openly oppose General Musharraf and frankly, couldn’t care less for the cause of the judiciary.

I have also seen students from impoverished backgrounds who end up in Harvard, Columbia and other Ivy League institutions through sheer determination and hard work. Their motivating factor was the ability to better the lives of their fellow countrymen on completing their education. And finally, I have also seen members of the youth dreaming of and planning to set up schools and universities in the rural areas of the country for the greater good of society, and in fact, many actually succeeded in building the same on a non-profit basis.
The point of stating all of this, and perhaps the obvious, is that not all is lost as some would have us believe. There are so many wrongs in this society, but clearly our older generation must have done something right to bring up a youth which has such ambitions considering the prevalent sense of hopelessness.

An incident that took place recently sums up the state of affairs as I see it. A friend had been thinking of how he could make a difference in this country. So one random day he gifted me a book titled Three Cups of Tea. The inspiring book is about the journey of Greg Mortenson who raises funds for and successfully establishes a network of schools across Gilgit-Baltistan through sheer perseverance and dedication. Although clearly moving, the real message for me was contained on its inside page, where the friend wrote a small message which said “Dear Basil, maybe this is the first step!” Well, my friend, if not the first step, it surely is a step in the right direction.

Published in the Express Tribune, June 14th, 2010.
of course nothing is imposible:flame:

Hi
The extract of the article in the words of the author is like this " Pakistan is a safe heaven for Taliban & other extremists, its not an appropriate place for investment at all & don't even go there for vacations even if you have relatives over there since its not safe, all media outlets are under Mullah's control especially those who wary of CIA Mossad nexus are the biggest religious extremists and there fore since my bigotry will be denied by Pakistanis so they are in denial & me Mr. know it all should receive the praise"

One word Propoganda

I believe who thinks we are going to vanish due to all odds are living in denial because problems enhance qualities and spirit:pakistan:

Isn't it becoming really monotonous the way all these pessimistic articles are being written by people who hardly know whats really going on in Pakistan?

Yes, we do have our problems, but we are dealing with them in our own way.

Yes, our politicians are corrupt and the Government is inept but we, the people of Pakistan, our digging our way out of the hole these politicians put us in. Slowly, but surely, we'll make it through inshallah.

The youth of Pakistan is not in a state of denial. We know exactly what is going on. We are educated, patriotic, opinionated and full of vigor and vitality. We will set our country right, and we have already started doing so.

Nobody even bothers what these t.v.anchors and politicians have to say. They can blabber all they want but it hardly puts a dent in our resolve. We will prevail.

We thank all of our foreign friends, and respect our enemies, for we have learned from them. We have learned not to depend on anyone else but ourselves, we have learned that to excel, we must work diligently and purposefully.

And please, do not be overly concerned about us, we will take care of ourselves, its time you looked after your own first.

WE, thank you all.

regards,

I do admit that the USA plays blatant favorites with Israel.
It is not just Israel, with the Indian NSG exemption and open opposition to the Sino-Pak NPP deal, the US is clearly playing favorites and applying double standards here as well.

The US does not exploit Pakistan. It wants Pakistan to control its territory and stop allowing international jihadis from operating out of its territory.
That is a simplistic argument and demand to a very complex problem, as no doubt you are aware of given NATO failures in Afghanistan, despite the enormous combined military and economic resources NATO can bring to bear on the issue.

And while NATO member nations can call it a day at some point in time and go home and 'increase racial profiling and airport security and databases' to catch potential terrorists, Pakistan will be stuck with the consequences of whatever mess NATO leaves behind in Afghanistan, a mess that will have severe implications for Pakistan given the porous and uncontrollable Afghan-Pakistan border.
The US would love for Pakistan and India to bury the hatchet and to both prosper. That is the reality. Pakistan's doctrine of "strategic depth", to which it still clings, is Pakistan's biggest policy mistake, rivaling the self-destructiveness of our own Israeli policy. IMHO.
Playing favorites and applying double standards does not illustrate any manner of equal treatment.

Pakistan's doctrine of 'strategic depth' is very simply to not have a hostile Afghanistan that claims its territory, nor to make enemies out of a group (Afghan Taliban) that will likely control a significant amount of territory if the US withdraws prematurely. Credibly show Pakistan that the US is committed to the effort in Afghanistan and will do all it takes and as long as it takes to fix the issue, and will not abandon the region once again, and the US will likely get even more support.

As it is we have a potential deadline of withdrawal starting in a year, partly successful to failed military offensives in Marjah, withdrawals out of Eastern Afghanistan districts now run by the Taliban, and opposition to Sino-Pak civilian nuclear cooperation (under IAEA safeguards), that belie any statements of 'long term commitment'.

The terrorist will steal the Nuclear tech from us and use it to make weapons in their high tech factories.......right?

How about the whole A Q Khan episode being repeated again, getting an NSG approval for Pakistan will almost be next to impossible. The NSG is still very much investigating that whole case and getting anything for Pakistan at this point seems like a fairytale.

Yes really amazing. why because atleast it is not about the pakistan that i live in ... looks more of a fantacy dramatized and terrorized story of pakistan Of MARS . Pakistan is this pakistan is that...:blah::blah:.... may be there is pakistan on MARS as well???:what:
because atleast the writer and the poster of this don't know anything about my pakistan.

Just another Pakistan bashing article and an indian is posting it... :disagree:

the poster may b indian,but the writer is pakistani,i dont know about pakistan of mars,but if u want to still live in denial one day pakistan will definitely become like mars

How about the whole A Q Khan episode being repeated again, getting an NSG approval for Pakistan will almost be next to impossible. The NSG is still very much investigating that whole case and getting anything for Pakistan at this point seems like a fairytale.

A Q Khan or no A Q Khan, India and Pakistan are signatories to almost exactly the same treaties regarding nuclear issues. Hence both deserve the same treatment.

Our sites are secure. Material is secure. Warheads our secure. Proliferation is not an issue anymore.

No hypocrisy. Give us nuclear fuel like India, let Chinese give us reactor support and if the US seriously wants to see us come out of the WoT as a stable nation, give us reactors to help ease our electricity crisis.

A Q Khan or no A Q Khan, India and Pakistan are signatories to almost exactly the same treaties regarding nuclear issues. Hence both deserve the same treatment.

Our sites are secure. Material is secure. Warheads our secure. Proliferation is not an issue anymore.

No hypocrisy. Give us nuclear fuel like India, let Chinese give us reactor support and if the US seriously wants to see us come out of the WoT as a stable nation, give us reactors to help ease our electricity crisis.

Words of a wise man...However Sir the world is full of hypocrisy....and they say "there is no free lunch"....I believe NSG waiver is a big thing for Pakistan and was wondering what you have to do to bag this goodie??? Obviously there has to be some give and take from the usual status quo between US and GOP....Also do you think Iran-Pak pipeline has any after effects???

I disagree here... Pakistan and India are not equals in terms of the need for civil nuclear technology. India getting a handle on green energy is important not just for India but for many others as the pollution from thermal power plants can be limited. Pakistan is yet to exploit the hydel power it can generate and is far from basic water management in several parts forget power. India on the other hand cannot afford large scale dam construction because of settled population in most places where a hydel power plant is feasible. India is also exploring wind and solar energy to a large extent. Such steps from Pakistan are in most cases symbolic or produce very little to be counted.

In terms of energy Pakistan and India are two different entities. With respect to Indian objections to NPT, Indian stand is not Pakistan specific and India will not sign a discriminatory law even if Pakistan was willing to do it. Pakistan and India in terms of Nuclear history are very different. India started its development in 70s and Pakistan started well into the 80s.

So your comment of equal status for India and Pakistan is not correct.

Also do you think Iran-Pak pipeline has any after effects???

I don't think the US could have used the IPP as a negotiating tool, simply because the US administration on its own cannot guarantee passage of a civilian nuclear cooperation bill through the US legislature. By most accounts, the Indian exemption would not have been passed either had it been delayed for a couple of months till the democrats took control of the houses.

So given the inability of the US administration to guarantee a nuclear deal/exemption in the near term, there is no way Pakistan would have accepted US requests to not go ahead on the IPP.

In any case, the US was offering to fund the construction of transmission lines from the CAR's to supply over 1000 MW worth of electricity, in lieu of the IPP. The nuclear deal, AFAIK, never came up for a quid pro quo on any issue under discussion.

I disagree here... Pakistan and India are not equals in terms of the need for civil nuclear technology. India getting a handle on green energy is important not just for India but for many others as the pollution from thermal power plants can be limited. Pakistan is yet to exploit the hydel power it can generate and is far from basic water management in several parts forget power. India on the other hand cannot afford large scale dam construction because of settled population in most places where a hydel power plant is feasible. India is also exploring wind and solar energy to a large extent. Such steps from Pakistan are in most cases symbolic or produce very little to be counted.

In terms of energy Pakistan and India are two different entities. With respect to Indian objections to NPT, Indian stand is not Pakistan specific and India will not sign a discriminatory law even if Pakistan was willing to do it. Pakistan and India in terms of Nuclear history are very different. India started its development in 70s and Pakistan started well into the 80s.

So your comment of equal status for India and Pakistan is not correct.
You are quibbling over semantics and clutching at straws to make a case for 'unequal treatment'. Given India's much larger size, it is obvious Indian energy requirements and investments will be larger, But Pakistan and its requirements are smaller than India's only in a relative sense. Pakistan is a nation of 180+ million by some estimates, and the population will rise to close to 300 million in the next few decades.

This increase in size poses a serious issue in terms of meeting energy requirements, not just to cater to the increased population, but also to increased energy consumption from a growing middle class with greater access to energy consuming products, as well as increased industrial capacity, both of currently produced goods and services as well as increased types of produced goods and services.

All this added together poses significant issues in terms of energy, and Pakistan will have to resort to hydro, renewable as well as nuclear energy to meet these requirements, and given the length of time taken to construct most NPP's (the current Chashma plants took almost a decade to construct) the need for investing in nuclear energy to allow it to be on tap in the future is now.

Back
Top Bottom