What's new

Pakistan – living in denial?

You didn;t question me but I'll answer you the very same way the author writes. Pakistanis cry all the time about the "negative propaganda" as well.

Not much is really going our way. We face huge problems today and are at the heart of a war. There isn't really anything good to report everyday, there's a lot of bad stuff to report.

Meanwhile, people do have to write this and try to say it loud so that our future generations don't fall into the jihadist trap.

Sir Ji with all due respect to you and your knowledge of the world, I would like to disagree with you. You cant paint all of us with the same brush. We have problems, but we are also trying to fix them. This war was never about religion, but was religion dragged into it. Yes. Just so that the support of the masses can be exploited. And that is it. As far as the TV anchors and all go neither do they represent all of Pakistan, nor our interests. All they represent is their own interest and their own benefit. And for that if they have to use any tactics they dont hesitate from using it.

I have a question for you and many of your friends, first let me start by saying thank you for posting that article, but seriously dont you guys have any thing else to do but to find articles that show us in bad light either intentionally or unintentionally, articles that are highlighting our problems? Good that you guys are so concerned about us. But when ever we see any thing about india its india booming, india this, india at the top of the world. Dont any thing go wrong in india at all. Or are you guys too busy finding articles about Pakistan that y'all forget to look at your own problems?

And just to clarify, as I might get accused for it I am not trying to troll, rather its a genuine query.

then again.. you are looking at the messenger rather than the message and doing so you are in a way validating the writer's words.. and nobody said that India doesnt have any problems..but you dont find many Indians blaming the "foreign hand" for it's each and every problem..

Not much is really going our way. We face huge problems today and are at the heart of a war. There isn't really anything good to report everyday, there's a lot of bad stuff to report.

Why we will all be OK

Wednesday, June 09, 2010

By Mosharraf Zaidi

The writer advises governments, donors and NGOs on public policy.

The seriousness of Pakistan's problems is so severe that it is natural for people to be sick with worry about the future of the country. Pakistani blood is treated cheaply by terrorists, by other countries, but most of all, by the military, religious and political elite of Pakistan itself. Pakistani children don't have enough schools, their schools don't have enough teachers, their teachers don't have enough training, and their training doesn't have enough substance. Aspiring Pakistani mothers face dire social indicators, including high maternal and infant mortality rates, poor primary school enrolment rates and water-borne diseases that have no business being in business in the 21st century. Baby girls are raised to face a lifetime of gender-based discrimination. Politicians are corrupt, judges are self-righteous, and there is no electricity. A national obsession with symbolism that borders on the insane has made more of a mockery of faith and ideology in Pakistan than any cartoon or conspiracy ever could.

Last Friday afternoon at the TEDx Karachi event, with the country as pregnant as it ever is with these burdens, a number of speakers did something that we all need to do a lot more of. They inspired hope. TEDx organisers Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy, Awab Alvi, Batool Hassan, Meher Jaffri, Hiba Ali Raza, Asad Rahman and Sumaira Jaffery should be proud of themselves. It is not easy to be hopeful and optimistic in this environment. They helped make it easy.

TEDx Karachi speakers spoke from the heart, embraced the collective vulnerability of millions of Pakistanis, and infused their inspirational messages with the rigour and granularity of real-world success. They didn't just do this by appealing to our rational best selves. They did it by appealing to the connectivity we all share as human beings. For one afternoon at least, I was forced to consider how important inspiration just might be, in the long, arduous and exhausting quest for a Pakistan that works for all Pakistanis, not just those that have captured the state using guns, God and giveaways.

What rational reason did Abdul Sattar Edhi have to do what he has done for as long as any of us can remember? Edhi ambulances are almost the only certain thing in the uncertainty of Pakistan. So too is our comfort in making donations to his charitable work. The same Pakistan that we lament, Bhutto and Zia's Pakistan, is the one that produced Abdul Sattar Edhi.

Edhi is not alone. He just shines brighter than most of Pakistan's galaxy of heroes. All of them were the product of this same broken, orphaned, dysfunctional and dangerous Pakistan. If we spend so much time lamenting the bad and the ugly that we do unto ourselves in this massive and confounding country, perhaps we should spend just a moment every day, celebrating the good too?

We should celebrate Prof Abdus Salam. Not only because he won a Nobel Prize, but because despite the manner in which Pakistan shunned and rejected him and his people, he never stopped loving Pakistan. We should celebrate Shehla Zia Khan who helped set the table for public-interest litigation in Pakistan, and fought tirelessly for women and minorities her whole life. We should celebrate Akhtar Hameed Khan who helped define development. We should celebrate Hakeem Said who taught us what the word Hamdard really means. We should celebrate Razia Bhatti, who valued the truth over the best job in her business.

And whoever made the rule that we need to wait for people to die before we celebrate their genius? We don't and we shouldn't. Nor do we need to agree with everything these heroes say and do. But we must salute them for standing up and doing magnificent and courageous things.

We should celebrate Asma Jahangir's lifetime of work for the rule of law and human rights, in the face of aggressive and sometimes violent opposition. We should celebrate Ansar Burney, who fights for poor people in prisons. We should celebrate Aasim Sajjad Akhtar, an uncompromising leftist in an era when most on the left have found rolling green hills of neocon pastures much more comfortable. We should celebrate Junaid Jamshed, a born-again Muslim preacher and entrepreneur, in an epoch of pop music celebrity worship and self-worship.

Of course, we're not comfortable with celebrating heroes we don't agree with. We should get over it. If the problem is that we're too married to our ideas about what Pakistan should represent, then the other side -- whether it is left, right, centre or elsewhere -- isn't the only guilty party. We, wherever we are on the spectrum, are just as guilty.

Let us celebrate Imran Khan. He's clearly learning disabled when it comes to recognising and accepting failure. But that's not always been a bad thing. Cricket is just a game, but Khan's cancer hospital was built with Pakistani money in the same lost decade of BB and Nawaz Sharif that we lament all the time.

Let us celebrate Agha Hasan Abedi. The end of the BCCI was ignominious, for sure. But before it fell, it rose to be the 7th largest bank in the world. If any of the Citibank, IMF or WB bureaucrat babus that are responsible for keeping Pakistan afloat had half the imagination and audacity of Abedi, Pakistan may not have been the economic basket case that it is today.

Let us celebrate the Pakistani policeman and soldier. Officer or not, they put their bodies between us and the bullets and bombs that seek to destroy us. They don't make foreign policy. They don't steal land. They don't promote extremism. They just go out on the battlefield and fight. For us.

Nobody is suggesting that we should stop thinking critically. But the darkness and gloom that prevails over most Pakistanis, no matter what kind of ideology we claim to represent, is a disease for which there are living, breathing, walking remedies all around us.

Dr Umar Saif is an award-winning computer scientist that left a teaching and research position at MIT to teach in Pakistan. Novelists Mohsin Hamid and Mohammad Hanif moved back to Pakistan after long periods abroad, so that they can contribute their unique talents to their country. While they were abroad, a sea of nameless, faceless journalists, lawyers, accountants, doctors, bankers and farmers got up and went to work every day, doing the best they could. Did they run the traffic light on occasion? Litter out of their vehicle? Drive out of lane? Sure they did. But if we start condemning and convicting every little thing, there will be no chance for us to see the beauty in us and around us. We cannot be held hostage to ugliness all the time. It is unproductive, uninspiring, and subhuman to be so beholden and captivated by our failures.

At TEDx Karachi, the final speaker was Jacqueline Novogratz, best-selling author and head of the Acumen Fund, which seeks to stimulate for-profit ideas that help poor people tackle problems like housing, cash-flow and clean water. Jacqueline spoke of how deeply inspiring her relationship with Pakistanis has been. Novogratz inspires admiration instantly, but we should listen carefully. If the Pakistanis working with the Acumen Fund can inspire a globally renowned thinker and doer, why shouldn't they inspire Pakistanis themselves?

On Sunday night, Coke Studio premiered its third season. Sure, multinational sponsorship of everything should be questioned. Sure, fusion music should be critiqued. But when producer Rohail Hyatt was pouring his life-force into putting Arif Lohar at the centre of an arrangement that sparkled because of Meesha Shafi's haunting voice, and Louis Pinto's enduring percussion genius -- he wasn't paying attention to the bad and the ugly. He was making good on Pakistan's promise. There is genius and beauty in all of us. We should spend a little time, every day, just appreciating that. We'll all be OK, because we'll never let Iqbal and Bulleh die. I'll drink a Coke (and for fairness' sake, a Pepsi) to that.

:pakistan:

@ Capt.Popeye
@ deckingraj

Well I dont agree to the article completely, when it says Pakistanis live in denial. Well not all of them, some do. And most of the people who do are following some party or other, which is keeping them uninformed because they want to make maximum gain out of the status quo.

None of us is obliged to agree to that article or similar ones. The only that needs to be done is to read, analyse, form some opinions and look for some remedies if needed or just chuck it out the window.
But finally, our actions and our consequences.

This sentence shows the heart of your denial. It is the USA's fault! Grow up. It isn't the USA's fault. It's the fault of the culture of Pakistan in all its many dysfunctions: religious leaders, political leaders, education system, yellow journalism media, ISI, PA, and the ignorant "Pakistani man in the street". The USA doesn't exploit Pakistan. It's the other way around. The USA gets nothing but grief from Pakistan. Pakistan and Iran are the twin bastions of terrorism in the world today. Iran because it likes it that way, Pakistan because it can't seem to govern its own territory.

Just because I think like that I am in denial. And just because you are an american who dont want to open your eyes to see the reality you are not. Dont you remember what the american gov did when the Afghan war was over, and even now. Even today when we are sacrificing our lives fighting a mess, to which your country is a party to as well. What do we get in return constant criticism, and then when we are trying to make a nuclear deal with the Chinese who is coming up with statements to halt it. And the terrorism that is flourishing in Pakistan is some what due to the american policies, and your financing of the same terrorists. And you think that Pakistan is exploiting the americans, lol. Tell you what tell your country to stop using our territory for transit to Afghanistan, and man the border on the other side rather then running away. Let us clean the mess in our country and you handle the afghan side which you guys are so un capable of.

No I didn't miss it. What does this have to do with our supposed "exploitation" of Pakistan?
I was referring to how it plays into creating 'anti-American sentiment', and is a legitimate gripe.

On the exploitation part, the US did dump Pakistan (sanctions over the nuclear program, while ignoring the Israeli one) after its objectives were achieved against the Soviets in Afghanistan, and that experience has colored the current US-Pak relationship - no one expects the US to hang around and actually follow through on its stated 'commitment to a long term relationship with Pakistan', and the opposition to the nuclear deal validates that impression.

To be fair you have to admit that actions like these by the US (blatantly playing favorites and transactional relationships) are not going to help advance the US's image in nations affected unfavorably.

then again.. you are looking at the messenger rather than the message and doing so you are in a way validating the writer's words.. and nobody said that India doesnt have any problems..but you dont find many Indians blaming the "foreign hand" for it's each and every problem..

No sir I am not only looking at this messenger but many messengers. You have rather taken my comments out of context, might as well read it again. And also go through the form and see how many threads are open every day with Pakistan realated issues, by the indian members here which are either Pakistan bashing or just constant criticism of Pakistan. But non or very few about india and that is what my point was. And ps that dont mean that I live in denial I know the reality of my country, and I know the issues that my country is facing.

This sentence shows the heart of your denial. It is the USA's fault! Grow up. It isn't the USA's fault. It's the fault of the culture of Pakistan in all its many dysfunctions: religious leaders, political leaders, education system, yellow journalism media, ISI, PA, and the ignorant "Pakistani man in the street". The USA doesn't exploit Pakistan. It's the other way around. The USA gets nothing but grief from Pakistan. Pakistan and Iran are the twin bastions of terrorism in the world today. Iran because it likes it that way, Pakistan because it can't seem to govern its own territory.
Do you think you saying that Its not USA fault is not living in denail mode. You created this mess with us. It was a joint venture :lol: remember. Jihad against Soviets. These taliban are those very same people. The difference between us is that we created mess in our own country and you created mess in someone elses country. you left them thinking that these rag tag people will never be able to reach you so why waste more time. But they did reach you on 9/11. You own fault. before advising us that "dont live in denial you should work on it yourself."

As far Yellow journalism is concerned you in living in denial mod in that case too. How many weapons of Mass destruction were found in Iraq. Your media was full of stories before attack remember???

The USA gets nothing but grief from Pakistan

Pakistan is not getting any great brotherhood or biggest Non-NATO ally examples from USA either. You must have missed US opposing Pak-China nuclear story. And if you think this thing is connected with terrorism as good economy will lead to low terrorism. But looks like USA dont want this.

Good articles posted by both desiman and Sparklingway...The articles portray the reality in some parts of Pakistan(definitely not all..).But I personally feel that there has been a bit too much cherry picking...Anyways,that was just a personal opinion.A lot of positive developments have also taken place in Pakistan in the past years,the most significant being the support for War on Terror.This can be seen as a major shift in the policy.Now,as the time passes,more and more people in Pakistan r actively participating in the protest against terrorism.
About 63 % of the total population of Pakistan is under the age of 25.They are the architects of future Pakistan.I have been recently following some TV programs about the Pakistani youth on youtube,and I am under the impression that there is a sizable population of Pakistani youth who are educated and more aware,and thereby capable of employing their own logic.I wish we will be able to see a modern,economically as well as socially stable Pakistan in the coming years,led by the present generation youth.
So,let us hope for the best!!A stable Pakistan means a stable South East Asia

well there are many legitimate reasons why it is being opposed, im sure you know why already.
The terrorist will steal the Nuclear tech from us and use it to make weapons in their high tech factories.......right?

And also go through the form and see how many threads are open every day with Pakistan realated issues, by the indian members here which are either Pakistan bashing or just constant criticism of Pakistan. But non or very few about india and that is what my point was.

May be a coincidence, but would one of the reasons be the name of the Forum; that many threads are Pakistan related. While the bashing seems to be going on both sides; it is all really absurd.
Believe me, bashing you for your problems will not cause my problems to vanish. They will still follow me like a shadow
:cheers:

To be fair you have to admit that actions like these by the US (blatantly playing favorites and transactional relationships) are not going to help advance the US's image in nations affected unfavorably.

I do admit that the USA plays blatant favorites with Israel. I hate that it does. I think that this damages US security more than any other foreign policy "mistake" we have made or are making. But, also, I am not a believer that "perception is reality". Perception is perception, nothing more. The US does not exploit Pakistan. It wants Pakistan to control its territory and stop allowing international jihadis from operating out of its territory. The US would love for Pakistan and India to bury the hatchet and to both prosper. That is the reality. Pakistan's doctrine of "strategic depth", to which it still clings, is Pakistan's biggest policy mistake, rivaling the self-destructiveness of our own Israeli policy. IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom