What's new

Pakistan Leads South Asia in Innovation Efficiency

If the USA was ahead on this list, there would be no cost arbitrage, no outsourcing to India or any other third world nation, and there would be no Indian code coolies.

India's IT sector business is essentially driven by low-cost call centers, first-line tech support, simple repetitive code writing, and execution of pre-defined test suites. A typical Indian IT worker is increasingly being called a "cyber coolie" or sometimes a "code coolie", the former term having been coined by an astute Indian columnist Praful Bidwai back in 2003.

Haq's Musings: Indian IT Sweatshops Exploiting Cyber Coolies?

An ignorant posting blogs on things he has no idea about. I have more than one decade of IT experience. Only an inane person will say you just said.
By the way Pakistanis are dying to get the same coolie job, I get lots of applications from Pakistani's.

An ignorant posting blogs on things he has no idea about. I have more than one decade of IT experience. Only an inane person will say you just said.
By the way Pakistanis are dying to get the same coolie job, I get lots of applications from Pakistani's.

Are you suggesting that there would still be outsourcing to India and other low-cost destinations if Americans and Europeans were willing to work for the same low wages that Indians do?

It's a verifiable fact that Pakistan had a current account surplus in 2010-11 while India had a current account deficit in the same period.

India Current Account

Pakistan Current Account

That means no one is lending goods to pakistan on credit. Everyone is asking for hard cash in US dollars.
Remember for 5-7 billion dollars Zardari made countless trips to world bank and IMF door steps. This is proof for the pathetic condition of pakistan.

Are you suggesting that there would still be outsourcing to India and other low-cost destinations if Americans and Europeans were willing to work for the same low wages that Indians do?

Yes.. cost is one factor and not everything.
First they did not have enough people to do the work at onshore. This could be understood by looking at amount of people working onshore at same cost. h1b is not a low cost solution, also many companies did not have outsourcing model at all. One I am currently working with and people here including me charge more than locals, so we are not a low cost solution.

secondly you did not mentioned just cost in your blog, you said we are mostly into BPO which clearly told me about your ignorance, IT started decade before BPO in India.

Also not every IT job is high tech and not every American is smart. At my company lead Architect is Indian and many Architect including Americans report to him. We are working for a big shot and this is a muti million dollar program.

Living in Silicon Valley, Riaz should know that Indians are present in all levels of the IT industry, from CEOs to basic programmers.

Yes.. cost is one factor and not everything.
First they did not have enough people to do the work at onshore. This could be understood by looking at amount of people working onshore at same cost. h1b is not a low cost solution, also many companies did not have outsourcing model at all. One I am currently working with and people here including me charge more than locals, so we are not a low cost solution.

secondly you did not mentioned just cost in your blog, you said we are mostly into BPO which clearly told me about your ignorance, IT started decade before BPO in India.

Also not every IT job is high tech and not every American is smart. At my company lead Architect is Indian and many Architect including Americans report to him. We are working for a big shot and this is a muti million dollar program.

Cost has been and continues to be the primary driver of all outsourcing from US and Europe.

BPO jobs account for most of the ITES outsourced work in India. And all of the IT and ITES sector jobs in India make up 1-2 million jobs...a drop in the bucket for a country with 1.2 billion people, most of whom work in agriculture and textiles.

About 60% of India's workforce is in agriculture. Textile industry is the second biggest employer, accounting for a fifth of India’s exports, and employs almost 10 percent of India’s workforce, or some 35 million people, and has the potential to add another 12 million new jobs --dwarfing the 1-2 million jobs created by the much-heralded IT and BPO sector, according to a World Bank report.

Haq's Musings: Agriculture and Textiles Employ Most Indians and Pakistanis

Indians (and others including Pakistanis) working in the United States are generally trained in the United States with advanced degrees from US schools. They have had the benefit of a much higher quality education and training than their counterparts in India.

Some India watchers such as Fareed Zakaria, an Indian-American who often acts as a cheerleader for India in the US, have expressed doubts about the quality of education at the Indian Institutes of Technology. In his book "The Post-American World", Zakaria argues that "many of the IITs are decidedly second-rate, with mediocre equipment, indifferent teachers, and unimaginative classwork." Zakaria says the key strength of the IIT graduates is the fact that they must pass "one of the world's most ruthlessly competitive entrance exams. Three hundred thousand people take it, five thousand are admitted--an acceptance rate of 1.7% (compared with 9 to 10 percent for Harvard, Yale, and Princeton)."

Haq's Musings: More on Quality of Higher Education in India and Pakistan

That means no one is lending goods to pakistan on credit. Everyone is asking for hard cash in US dollars.
Remember for 5-7 billion dollars Zardari made countless trips to world bank and IMF door steps. This is proof for the pathetic condition of pakistan.

You've just established that you are totally clueless about the meaning of current account deficit.

^ He showed his cluelessness by the following post

WOT is keeping pakistan's economy running. It gets much needed foreign exchange from US aid. It is interest of pakistan to keep WOT go on.

WOT in afghanistan ends next year, AID also dries up soon. I wonder how pakistan is going manage?

I had a big laugh at such a post. How one can be so ignorant and deluded, and believe in things that contradict ground reality absolutely a 180 degree, not quite sure.

Not only is WoT not running Pakistan's economy, it is the primary factor that's causing the economy to not speed up.

Cost has been and continues to be the primary driver of all outsourcing from US and Europe.

BPO jobs account for most of the ITES outsourced work in India. And all of the IT and ITES sector jobs in India make up 1-2 million jobs...a drop in the bucket for a country with 1.2 billion people, most of whom work in agriculture and textiles.

About 60% of India's workforce is in agriculture. Textile industry is the second biggest employer, accounting for a fifth of India’s exports, and employs almost 10 percent of India’s workforce, or some 35 million people, and has the potential to add another 12 million new jobs --dwarfing the 1-2 million jobs created by the much-heralded IT and BPO sector, according to a World Bank report.

Haq's Musings: Agriculture and Textiles Employ Most Indians and Pakistanis

Indians (and others including Pakistanis) working in the United States are generally trained in the United States with advanced degrees from US schools. They have had the benefit of a much higher quality education and training than their counterparts in India.

Some India watchers such as Fareed Zakaria, an Indian-American who often acts as a cheerleader for India in the US, have expressed doubts about the quality of education at the Indian Institutes of Technology. In his book "The Post-American World", Zakaria argues that "many of the IITs are decidedly second-rate, with mediocre equipment, indifferent teachers, and unimaginative classwork." Zakaria says the key strength of the IIT graduates is the fact that they must pass "one of the world's most ruthlessly competitive entrance exams. Three hundred thousand people take it, five thousand are admitted--an acceptance rate of 1.7% (compared with 9 to 10 percent for Harvard, Yale, and Princeton)."

Haq's Musings: More on Quality of Higher Education in India and Pakistan

Can you prove BPO jobs in India are more than IT. Please put absolute numbers not yearly. As per my understanding BPO is not even half of IT.

Can you prove BPO jobs in India are more than IT. Please put absolute numbers not yearly. As per my understanding BPO is not even half of IT.

Do you have any data to support your contention that there are more IT jobs than ITES-BPO jobs in India?

In fiscal 2010-2011, Pakistan received only nominal aid from US because of serious differences and no loans from IMF with the program on hold.

In spite of that, Pakistan's current account was slightly in the positive, a much better situation than the massive current account deficits India suffers.

Why?

Because Pakistan's exports and remittances reached new highs during the year.

Haq's Musings: Pakistan's Exports and Remittances Rise to New Highs

Prey tell on how does current account balance is linked to IMF loans and aid? loans and aid are linked to Forex reserves for sure.. but current account balance ???

its less than 20% at the last count..

Back
Top Bottom