What's new

Pakistan Interested in Russian Air Defense Systems

What makes you assume PA is looking for those systems? The systems that match current search is BUK m3 and S300 PMU2/3, not pantsir and Tor. The majority of the fund will be for a Himad and Lomad system, with some consideration of western shorad as terminal defense.

I have discussed this with PA officers who are serving in armor division and PAA they all have agreed that Pantsir S-2, Tor & buk-M3 type systems are must have for battlefield protection.

Pantsir S-2 is favorite choice for moving forces because it moves among them and can provide protection against smart munitions too.

I have discussed this with PA officers who are serving in armor division and PAA they all have agreed that Pantsir S-2, Tor & buk-M3 type systems are must have for battlefield protection.

Pantsir S-2 is favorite choice for moving forces because it moves among them and can provide protection against smart munitions too.

Armor officers are not air defense officers, or specific departments related to procurement. This would be opinion or speculation. A good to have could be many systems, but not on the procurement priority. That said, pantsyr remains an effective CIWS.

Armor officers are not air defense officers, or specific departments related to procurement. This would be opinion or speculation. A good to have could be many systems, but not on the procurement priority. That said, pantsyr remains an effective CIWS.

Even when I used to work in MoD, all PA officers knew the importance of air defense and where we are lagging behind, it was lack of adequate funds, but now it seems air defence have become priority due to cold start type doctrine of India.

Tor m2, Pantsir s1 & M2 Buk is hopefully what Pakistan wants. They were offered by Russia to Pakistan last year.

Not quite, we have modernized our entire fleet at home including new thermal imagers, FCS, laser defense system etc.

The top Russian T-80 variant as of now is the T-80UA that combines T-80U's turret over T-80B's hull. The problem is that the entire t-80 program got halted many years ago due to budgetary constrains and Ural's ploy of convincing the army that the t-72 based t-90 with t-80s optics, fire control and armor was a cheaper, safer and better option.

to this day, the Russian army prefers t-80U over any t-90 variant, and for obvious reasons.

the hulls for T80 U and T-80 UD is same?

Pakistan will not seek long range SAM systems like S-300/S-350/S-400 from Russia. China will be the source of long range AD system for Pakistan and a deal for HQ-9 (probably with AESA radar) is believed to have been discussed by PM Nawaz Sharif with Chinese officials.

In 2014, Pakistan was offered the Pantsir-S1, Tor M2KM and Buk M2E by Russia. Instead, PA ordered 10 FM-90 (HQ-7B) short range AD systems from China and additional batteries will be purchased if required.

LY-80 (HQ-16A) was acquired by PAF for medium range AD role. PA lacks medium range AD capability and may be interested in Buk M2E (offered by Russia) or Buk M3 (if available for export).

Yes, Pakistan would be, but the Spada situation is not allowing full engagement.
I believe the CAMM/CAMM-ER would be more of a naval acquisition for a new surface combatant (e.g. Turkish corvettes) and not land based, especially since the MR-SAM portfolio is filled with the Spada and HQ-16.

I believe the CAMM/CAMM-ER would be more of a naval acquisition for a new surface combatant (e.g. Turkish corvettes) and not land based, especially since the MR-SAM portfolio is filled with the Spada and HQ-16.

Spada 2000 has a range of 20 km which means it is a SR-SAM.

so India is buying the s400 (interestingly the only big Russian defence agreement in recent times)

Iran also either bought the s400 or the s300.

Now If pakistan agrees a deal for the s400 majority of the sub content would be off limits for most air forces.

we really do not need tanks...battles of future will be based on aerial power , ability to strike trough sea as well , like cruise missiles and long range fighters..
Even Ajit doval said that the days of tank battles are gone...

we really do not need tanks...battles of future will be based on aerial power , ability to strike trough sea as well , like cruise missiles and long range fighters..
Even Ajit doval said that the days of tank battles are gone...

I agree with what you said except Ajit Doval is not a military officer or strategist

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom