What's new

Pakistan interested in buying T-50 trainer and 1500 HP engines from South Korea

I suppose that K8 could be upgraded now.... current version is at least ten years old... Both airframe and systems could be upgraded.
This design also have some space for upgradation. But PAF can also demand ToT of L-15 LIFT from China. PAF has to decide whether to buy 50-60 L-15 or design a new LIFT aircraft. Facility at home will also provide some more opportunities in other fields of aircraft manufacturing. Our govt constructed a metro bus project in Lahore, less funds will be needed to procure L-15 fleet for training program as compared to that project.

i dont know about the tank engine but i know he stx would build a shipyard in gwadar if pakistan purchased the t-50.
T-50 is expensive to maintain as compared with yak-130 but if there is investment coming with t-50 than it is good option..

stx would build a shipyard in gwadar if pakistan purchased the t-50.

These r expensive trainers we can buy Yak from Russia too that doors is open too I guess the main replacement would be f7 t of No 2 sqd but it's based on F16 must say would be ideal for PAF training since front line Aircrafts r F16 and jf17

If we select T50 over Yak130, then say bye bye to Su35.

If S. Korea will build a STX shipyard in Gwadar then it's a no-brainer. Forget the SU-35s. In the short term sure Russia will be a little let down, but it's not like Pakistan can buy squadrons of 35s.

S. Korea is a rising darling, there's possibly no way it can fu<k up, even if it does a Crimea over the couple of rocks it has a dispute over with Japan. The R&D potential & manufacturing are rising a highly educated workforce, variables are being introduced where S. Korean companies need to send their factories offshore, and if IF Pakistan can fix their electricity problem those factories will be shifted from China, Philippines, Thailand to Pakistan, because of the rising costs of doing business there.

S. Korea companies are usually holding companies that are vertically integrated, and have divisions that reach beyond their core business. STX is engaged in Shipbuilding, Energy, Construction, and many smaller divisions start a relationship with one and pretty soon you'll have the entire company.

i dont know about the tank engine but i know he stx would build a shipyard in gwadar if pakistan purchased the t-50.

STX building a shipyard would be a fantastic development. I'd say there are implications there for the Pakistani Navy and building good surface vessels.

T-50 is expensive to maintain as compared with yak-130 but if there is investment coming with t-50 than it is good option..
can you explain how you know the t-50 is expensive to maintain. please provide the source.

STX building a shipyard would be a fantastic development. I'd say there are implications there for the Pakistani Navy and building good surface vessels.
i like to think of it as a seed. you need one then more will come. but the govt need incentives. Chinese ship builders would be a more realistic option.

CONTENT PREVIEW
Industry
ADEX 2015: Pakistan, South Korea explore joint defence production
Jon Grevatt, Bangkok - IHS Jane's Defence Industry
20 October 2015
Pakistan's government has said it is talking to South Korea about a programme of joint defence production and the establishment of joint ventures.

A statement from Islamabad on 20 October said Pakistan's minister for defence production, Rana Tanveer Hussain, and Oh Won-Jin, the director general of defence industry promotion at South Korea's Defense Acquisition Program Administration (DAPA), agreed to an expanded partnership at the Seoul International Aerospace and Defence Exhibition (ADEX) 2015.

The statement said both sides are looking at a programme of collaboration featuring technology transfers leading to defence production. Joint ventures between the defence companies of both countries would facilitate the production programmes, the statement said.

T50 aint cheap 30 million a pop attack version the trainer version maybe a little less
L15 could have been done already
Yak 130 is 15 milion a pop would have been better

What can South Korea offer to Pakistan?

Aircraft
  • KAI KUH-1 Surion transport utility helicopter
  • KAI T-50 Golden Eagle family of supersonic advanced trainers and multirole light fighters, including the following variants:
    • T-50 (advanced trainer version)
    • TA-50 (lead-in fighter trainer and light attack version)
    • FA-50 (multirole fighter all-weather version)
    • T-50B (aerobatic specialized T-50 version for the ROKAF's aerobatic display team, the Black Eagles)
Vehicles
Vessels

Other

IMHO, 1) South Korea can offer state of the art shipyard by Hyundai Heavy Industries at Gwadar port. It will boost economy, and more jobs....
It is necessary to move assets from Karachi to other ports, Gwadar and Ormara.

2) 1500hp tank Engine for AK2 and Haider tank.

3) T-50 Trainer & Light fighter with some kind of TOT or request to build these locally in Pakistan.

4) Join project to build Larger Frigate/Destroyer for Navy

5) Joint development of SAM system:
a) Cheolmae 4-H (150 KM range) interceptor designed to take down ballistic missiles.
b) MR-SAM for the South Korean Multi-Tier Defense System
C) M-SAM missle smilar to Patriot Pac-3

Last edited:
3d-gif-puppy.gif

I don;t know how true this news is, but I hope common sense prevails and Pakistan does not buy an aircraft is emabargo prone (due to it's US components). It would be better to for something Chinese. The ToT, and the level of customization, are two things no one else can offer Pakistan.

I don;t know how true this news is, but I hope common sense prevails and Pakistan does not buy an aircraft is emabargo prone (due to it's US components). It would be better to for something Chinese. The ToT, and the level of customization, are two things no one else can offer Pakistan.

Pakistan has learned it's lesson and Pakistan can't afford to but all it's egg in the same basket.
I think this necessary that Pakistan build strategic defense relationship with other countries. South Korea can offer expertise to Pakistan in defense production and R&D.

If we select T50 over Yak130, then say bye bye to Su35.
But T50, Tank engines (for T99) and ship yard at gwadar are very appreciable steps......
Russia is not that child we can still go for SU-35 and buy T-50. As for shipyard that is good but I am looking for new Frigates and destroyers from South Korea.

Pakistan has learned it's lesson and Pakistan can't afford to but all it's egg in the same basket.
I think this necessary that Pakistan build strategic defense relationship with other countries. South Korea can offer expertise to Pakistan in defense production and R&D.

Well I see it differently. After CPEC, China is equally reliant on Pakistan. Secondly, China is extremely serious about Pakistan's defence as well. Lastly, in wars, China has a very good track record of supporting Pakistan. I wouldn't over look these things easily, and go for a Korean platform with major US components.

Back
Top Bottom