What's new

Pakistan in talks for 4 Ada Class Corvettes, T-129 Helicopters & modernization of agosta fleet

Taiwan signs for two OHPs
190 Million USD for two vessels
Taiwan is looking to replace its very old ex-US Knox class / Chi Yang class frigates (which the Taiwanese have armed with deck mounted canister launched Standard missiles and Thales STIR plus Thales DA-08 radar taken from even older ex-US destroyers which they modernized, and fire Harpoon from some (2+ ?) cells of forward ASROC launcher). Hence, OHPs without Mk13 launcher should not be a problem for them.

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2015/05/02/435005/Taiwan-Navy.htm

sh_frig_knox_v3.jpg

dgpN0.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff_head/sets/72157652129000752/

https://www.kcfpa.org/rocs-fen-yang-ffg-934

Taiwan's own Perry's feature fuinctional Mk13 for SM1 and Harpoon (though latter probably not carried) and HS-2 and -3 antiship missiles atop the superstructure as well as additional 2x 40mm cannon.

1106%281%29.jpg

And, yes, as Tay indicated, Taiwan is a special case.

Last edited:
I still dont see why pn doesn't try to acquire the 3-4 remaining Adelaides as they retire. They are good ships able to serve another 15+years and would be dirt cheap.
Question is whether Australia would be willing to sell its ships to Pakistan, and - if so - at what price. The ships would still overwhelmingly use US weapons, sensors and parts, which are seen here (at the forum) as less desirable due to 'strings attached'. So, another question would be whether the US would be willing to provide logistical support in case of any such acquisition.

As for MiLGEM, we will have to wait and see. It PN wanted to get MILGEM - ADA, one wonders why for cost and systems and patrol, one wonders why it didn't go for the chinese 1500t multi-mission frigate with its 2 ciws and 24 vls cells. If you replaced the rear ciws with PDMS like FL-3000N it would be even better. A cost effective small patrol sized vessel capable of a bigger punch.
There are plenty of potentially promising ship designs out there. Choices should start by outlining what the ship should be able to do / capable of. E.g. in terms of range/endurance/seakeeping (operating alone or within a group, potentially with higher end ships), and in terms of weapons/sensors (multirole or specialized ship or ships). Then you see of there are existing designs that fit the bill 'as is' or with some adaptations, or whether something designed to order is best. Logistically, if difference ships are used, it would be nice if these share components and systems, to bring down costs, including of acquisition, training and maintenance.

If you read my post about the FACs being used for patrol i stated it was to supplement larger vessels to make up numbers. PN would still have 8 large surface vessels (4 F-22P, 1 OHP, 3 Istanbul class), and 11 AIP subs. Having more FAC means those ships would be patrolling the EEZ and the FACs would be responsible for the litoral waters. You would have far more capabilities with those three better equipped surface vessels and 1-2 FAC than with 4 Ada.
fZdAiW6.jpg

PN would have far more capabilities is they got e.g. 3-4 Alvaro de Bazan / Hobart ships. Except, should this be realistically attainable (importantly, but not solely a money issue), there would not likely be much left for anything else....
  • There is the matter of block obsolescence needing to be addressed (i.e. need for a certain number of new hulls)
  • There is the reality of (very) limited resources
  • There are the limitations on where/from whom PN could acquire ships/weapons/sensors.
  • There is the 'obsession' (for lack of a better term) on 'facing the IN', which is NOT what the day to day reality of PN operations mainly consists of.

The smaller Nansen class (Bazan/Hobart little sister): also nice. Still, NOT a realistic option.
ZahYumA.jpg

In the 'small' department, why not some of these:
37121.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baynunah-class_corvette
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/baynunah-class-corvettes-united-arab-emirates.356894/

About 900 tons, 2,400 nmi range, 30+ knots
Armament:
  • 1 × OTO Melara 76 mm/62 caliber naval gun
  • 2 × Rheinmetall MLG 27 27 mm guns
  • 8 × MBDA MM40 block 3 Exocet missiles
  • 1 × mk49 mod3 21-cell RAM launcher for RAM block 1A missile system
  • 2 Mk48/56 VLS (4 cells > 8 ESSM)
  • Aft helicopter deck and hangar (Z-9 capable)
No ASW/Sonar except if/what carried by helicopter.

Cost, as of February 2009, is US$820 million for the entire 6 ship programme (i.e. $137million approx. 'unit cost')

The class is based on the CMN Group's Combattante BR70 design. The first was built in France by Constructions Mécaniques de Normandie, while the rest are being built in the UAE by Abu Dhabi Ship Building (ADSB). ADSB had hoped to secure further orders for the class from the Saudi and Kuwaiti navies but these are no longer interested. Which may make UAE/ADSB very willing to work with PN.

I could picture a version:
  • equipped with mainly Chinese equivalent weapons but a Western SAM
  • patrol/ASW oriented, with lighter/lesser armament, fewer/smaller diesels (=lower top speed), possible greater bunkerage (=more range), using the same hull and core systems.
UAE+Baynunah+Class+Multi-Role+Guided+Missile+Corvettes+export+pakistan+saudiarabia+missile+c802+c803+hq016+essm+MK56+eight-cell+vertical+launchers+for+RIM-162+ESSM+21-cell+RAM+launcher+for+RAM+block+1A+%25282%2529.jpg

Last edited:
On the topic of multi-mission modularity:

Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding has developed its vision on mission modularity and has created the unique SIGMA Multi Mission Bay. The SIGMA Multi Mission Bay is designed to fulfil the need for flexibility in naval defence through Mission Modularity.
It provides operational flexibility and increased availability in corvette size ship design. Enabling easy exchange of specific mission modules through life, it also increases future growth potential, while reducing cost of modernizations.
The covert area of the SIGMA Multi Mission Bay ©, at the stern of the SIGMA class vessels, offers flexibility to support various missions within one single class of ships, ranging from Humanitarian Aid, Special Forces Support, Anti Submarine Warfare, Mine Counter Measure Operations to Mine Laying capabilities. Making the SIGMA Multi Mission Bay © the true force multiplier for the highly successful SIGMA platform.
http://www.navyrecognition.com/inde...i-mission-bay-at-balt-military-expo-2014.html

DAMEN_mission_bay_Balt_Military_Expo_2014_Show_Daily_News.jpg

http://www.navyrecognition.com/imag...y_Balt_Military_Expo_2014_Show_Daily_News.jpg

Damen Compact SIGMA (Ship Integrated Geometrical Modularity Approach) Series, with ship sizes ranging from 600 tonnes to 1500 tonnes displacement and a length over all from 59 m to 87 m. Same combat systems and capabilities as larger SIGMAs, but with a shorter range and a mission endurance of up to two weeks. '
Compact_Sigma_Damen_DSEI_2013_2.jpg

Front: Compact SIGMA 8011 (1151 tonnes displacement)
Middle: Compact SIGMA 6609 (679 tonnes displacement)
Back: Compact SIGMA 7310 (907 tonnes displacement)

Compact_Sigma_Damen_DSEI_2013_3.jpg

In this configuration it shows an Integrated Mast Module, 8x anti-ship missiles, a 76mm main gun, a special mission container at the stern and two RAM launchers.
http://www.navyrecognition.com/inde...igmaq-line-of-corvettes-during-dsei-2013.html

made in france :cheesy:
Lots of things made in France. So, what does that mean?

One who rule the seas will rule the world
Unfortunately Muslims in sub-continent never Give Navy respect , time money and Place it deserves. Pakistan is fallowing the same path . If u look at Navies from all Muslim worlds , They wont even match India all combined.
In Pakistan we always buy cheap and short legged items for Navy , Hell some time I still don't believe we have Ag-90 Subs.
I will say again , Buy 5000+T Frigates and Destroyers with 2000T+ Coverts and 1000T+ FAC and up to 500T+ M. Boats.
Yes they will cost us money but its better to have few good ships then lots of junks . One 5000T+ Frigates with 64 Vls and other modern Eqm is equal to 3 F22s we have and it will cost less then 3 F22s in long Run.
But we will have small Firgs with poor Air Defence and Little Coverts with No defence , If ask about war we will say We will kill Indian Ships " May I ask ? With What ?????" and one more thing we talk one more solution to every problem we have , Yes you all guess right "JF-17". JF-17 Hai NAAA
Our navy only want to defence our 12km of coastline , That's IT , "A Defensive Navy" .
Our Air Force wont want to attack deep in enemy land , and they even struggle to defend our own Air from enemy "There U Go The Defensive Air-Force".
May ALLAH Help us all , and Bless Pakistan with some one who really can turn table around.

Unfortunately Muslims in sub-continent never Give Navy respect , time money and Place it deserves. Pakistan is fallowing the same path . If u look at Navies from all Muslim worlds , They wont even match India all combined.
In Pakistan we always buy cheap and short legged items for Navy , Hell some time I still don't believe we have Ag-90 Subs.
I will say again , Buy 5000+T Frigates and Destroyers with 2000T+ Coverts and 1000T+ FAC and up to 500T+ M. Boats.
Yes they will cost us money but its better to have few good ships then lots of junks . One 5000T+ Frigates with 64 Vls and other modern Eqm is equal to 3 F22s we have and it will cost less then 3 F22s in long Run.
But we will have small Firgs with poor Air Defence and Little Coverts with No defence , If ask about war we will say We will kill Indian Ships " May I ask ? With What ?????" and one more thing we talk one more solution to every problem we have , Yes you all guess right "JF-17". JF-17 Hai NAAA
Our navy only want to defence our 12km of coastline , That's IT , "A Defensive Navy" .
Our Air Force wont want to attack deep in enemy land , and they even struggle to defend our
own Air from enemy "There U Go The Defensive Air-Force".
May ALLAH Help us all , and Bless Pakistan with some one who really can turn table around.

Luv ya bro i thought same
and lol yea we have jf17 for every solution

Our Air Force wont want to attack deep in enemy land , and they even struggle to defend our own Air from enemy "There U Go The Defensive Air-Force".
Really?

In what way are ex-UK Type 21s short-legged? Supported by tankers, these UK built ships served combat duty in the South Atlantic / Falklands War, remember. Keeping that in mind, now look at ship classes used by PN in past and present.

F22P (4 units)
  • 4,000 nmi (7,400 km)
ex-US Perry class frigate (1 unit)
  • 5,000 nautical miles at 18 knots (9,300 km at 33 km/h)
ex-UK Type-21 frigates (6 units):
  • 4,000 nmi (7,400 km; 4,600 mi) at 17 knots (31 km/h; 20 mph)
  • 3,500 nmi (6,500 km; 4,000 mi) at 18 knots (33 km/h; 21 mph)
  • 1,200 nmi (2,200 km; 1,400 mi) at 30 knots (56 km/h; 35 mph)
ex-US Brook/Garcia class frigates (6+6 units)
  • 4,000 nautical miles (7,400 km; 4,600 mi)
ex-UK County class destroyers (1 unit):
  • Range: 3,500 nm
ex-UK Leander class (2 units):
  • 7,400 kilometres (4,600 mi; 4,000 nmi) at 15 knots (28 km/h; 17 mph)
ex-US Gearing class destroyers (2 units):
  • 4,500 nmi (8,300 km; 5,200 mi) at 20 knots (37 km/h; 23 mph)
PN must balance quality and quantity of hull, with a view to both the nature of threats and the area(s) to be covered. Its strategy/doctine has been sea denial. It like will remain so (even if sea denial is now called differently)

Last edited:

Attachments

• STM-LFG-01.PNG
    STM-LFG-01.PNG
    276.7 KB · Views: 104
@Penguin I think this is the ship designer responsible for the MILGEM and the Pakistan Navy Fleet Tanker. Its product catalogue has a "Light Frigate" (LF-2400) that seems to be derived from the MILGEM corvette. The LF-2400 seems to have the space for VLS.

http://www.deltamarine.com.tr/pdf/products/Naval Ships/Naval_Ships_Portfolio_Delta_Web.pdf

Milgem designed in cooperation between Deltamarine and STM.

LF-2400 is MILGEM with some length added (+9.6m waterline, +8.5m overall). CODAD instead of CODAG propulsion > lower top speed (27 instead of 29), longer range (5000nm instead of 3500nm). I see no VLS, though the text does refer to SAM installation.

Milgem designed in cooperation between Deltamarine and STM.

LF-2400 is MILGEM with some length added (+9.6m waterline, +8.5m overall). CODAD instead of CODAG propulsion > lower top speed (27 instead of 29), longer range (5000nm instead of 3500nm). I see no VLS, though the text does refer to SAM installation.
That's what I mean, it seems to have assured space for VLS. The MILGEM's angular bridge was swapped for a flat design, one that seems to provide space for VLS in front of the bridge and behind the gun.

Certainly as reputable member Penguine stated we did have operated few other ships in past

However , now at present many of those ships have been retired.

The 90's was certainly a dark time for our Navy

We do seriously need to grow the Corvette class ships in our navy, and certainly add some frigate force in reasaonble numbers.

So far we have two avenues to improve our Navy

a) Fast Attack ships which we produce indegneously (Azmat Class frigate), 4 more units would be welcomed sight.

b) Cooperation with Turkey on Corvettes or possibly Frigate ships (Up to 4 initially as the thread starters indicated) , now if it gets upgraded to Frigate ships
we will just have to wait and see

Milgem, would still be a quantative improvement in Navy , to train new sailors
and get more sailors experience at sea with advance weapons on board the new ship

Ada%2Bclass%2BII.jpg

Certainly a respectable sized ship , 4 to 6 of these in Pakistan Navy would still be a step forward
Ada_class_4.jpg

One can clearly see the size of the ship in comparison to some common ships close to shore , and certainly a decent sized vessel

PakistanNavy.png

Expectation is for 4 to 8 Corvettes from Turkey loaded with latest goods , and Istambol class Frigate with VLS would be a OVER ACHIVEMENT

It is make it happen year
Nawaz-erdogan.jpg

Last edited:
That's what I mean, it seems to have assured space for VLS. The MILGEM's angular bridge was swapped for a flat design, one that seems to provide space for VLS in front of the bridge and behind the gun.
IMHO, there does not appear to be significantly more space between main gun and forward superstructure edge, or between rear of bridge structure and stack, which is where other variants (Istanbul class) show 'stretch' (for Mk41 and extra 2x4 Harpoon). I'm not saying it is not possible, just that the image doesn't convincingly show it. The description does list a SAM system, but that could well be RAM (I don't see another system depicted in the image).

As is, a PN variant of Milgem (or FL-2400) could well be fitted with Chinese weapon systems like C802, FL300N, PJ26 76 mm gun, a pair of 25 or 30mm cannon (which may be preferred over US weapons like Harpoon and RAM, not necessarily because of better capability/quality but in view of reliability of logistics/continued deliveries). European sensors and electronics do not appear a problem (see earlier PN acquisition / modernization and how both Turkey and China sourced ships have been outfitted)

Thanks for the pdf by the way, it is very informative.

Last edited:
What Do you all think about Gowind 2500 corvette.
The Gowind 2500 is the biggest variant in the Gowind family which was designed and developed by DCNS "france" to conduct missions in littoral zone such as anti-submarine warfare. The Gowind family includes vessels with lengths from 85m to 102m and displacement from 1,000t to 2,600t.

General specs :

- Displacement: 2600 tons
- Length: 102 m (335 ft)
- Propulsion: CODAD
- Speed: 25 knots (46 km/h; 29 mph)
- Range: 4,000 nmi (7,400 km; 4,600 mi) at 15 knots (28 km/h; 17 mph)
- Endurance: 11 days
- Boats & landing craft carried: 2 × 9 m (30 ft) RHIBs
- Complement: 80
- Sensors and processing systems: DCNS SETIS CMS , SMART-S 3D radar.
2014-09-05-gowind-2500-avec-tanan-arme-jpg.360307

959590000-jpg.360312

siw8o-jpg.360314
2539197-jpg.360320

We can remove the auto guns at the back and put in CIWS and still have space for Short Rang SAMs.

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/gowind-2500-corvette-updated.466717/#post-9297379

Last edited:
The Avante is not stealth, old design; the MOSAIC
still but a design and so is the Hyundai if active.

It is correct that the latter is a lot of ship for a very
very low price. If the timetable coincides with Pakis-
tan's needs and means, it would be a fine choice too.

But still, get half a dozen or more in bulk slash series.
And maybe, if money is scarce then pick DCNS or Orriz
and play on the sizes to mix-match a fleet of same design.

I was just pointing out that the idea of a single class fits
the Pakistani paradigm as long as it gets longer range
effectors to clear out its bubble of the Indian ocean if ...

Good day both, Tay.
The Avante may not be stealth but when it can pack an 8 vls mk41 with 32 essm (50km range) vs 16 mica,s (20km) of the Gowind ...well,I know what I would choose...

Nope, the Gowinds made in Egypt as we speak have the Sylver
A-43 and that authorizes the Aster 15 ( but not Scalp naval ). +10 km.
Then go for an A-50 instead with a raised section behind the gun
as on the 1000 model and voilà : Aster 30 and 120Km.

Thus equipped, a Gowind 2500 is plenty powerful a littoral ship.
The MICA only A-35 is only the bare bones baseline model.

In any case, stealth does play a role alongside range for if the
aircraft doesn't know you're a warship or even truly there, you
still enjoy first fire even at a lowly 20 km.

The only sad thing is that I seriously doubt the A70 could fit in.

Good day to you mate, Tay

What Do you all think about Gowind 2500 corvette.
The Gowind 2500 is the biggest variant in the Gowind family which was designed and developed by DCNS "france" to conduct missions in littoral zone such as anti-submarine warfare. The Gowind family includes vessels with lengths from 85m to 102m and displacement from 1,000t to 2,600t.

General specs :

- Displacement: 2600 tons
- Length: 102 m (335 ft)
- Propulsion: CODAD
- Speed: 25 knots (46 km/h; 29 mph)
- Range: 4,000 nmi (7,400 km; 4,600 mi) at 15 knots (28 km/h; 17 mph)
- Endurance: 11 days
- Boats & landing craft carried: 2 × 9 m (30 ft) RHIBs
- Complement: 80
- Sensors and processing systems: DCNS SETIS CMS , SMART-S 3D radar.
2014-09-05-gowind-2500-avec-tanan-arme-jpg.360307

959590000-jpg.360312

siw8o-jpg.360314
2539197-jpg.360320

We can remove the auto guns at the back and put in CIWS and still have space for Short Rang SAMs.

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/gowind-2500-corvette-updated.466717/#post-9297379

Obviously pretty machine

Back
Top Bottom