Hyde

SENIOR MODERATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan gets technology to preserve mangoes

7-17-2010_108653_l.gif

Updated at: 1330 PST, Saturday, July 17, 2010
KARACHI: Pakistan has got the technology to preserve mangoes for 40 days, which will help to export mangoes through ship with much lesser cost.

A mango exporter Abdul Qadeer Durrani told Geo News that export of mangoes to European countries through airways costs Rs.125 per kilogram whereas the same quantity costs Rs.15 via ship. Hundred tons of mangoes have been exported during current season, he added.

100 rupees difference per kg is a big money guys. That will dramatically reduce the prices of Pakistani mangoes in international market and give an edge over any other comptitor currently existing in the market.

Many western stores do not buy Pakistani mangoes for having a very short life span and if they can preserve it for 40 days not effecting its quality and taste, i am sure it will open another door for the exports in Pakistani mangoes and will get a great boost in exports. This for being reduced prices may not be much effective in total sales but i am sure it will be amusing to see Pakistani mangoes in international stores that will help us increase our exports in long term

Speaking of mangoes, I just bought some Pakistani ones in the UK :D Hopefully, this tech can help more Rs. reach the mangoe farmers.

Speaking of mangoes, I just bought some Pakistani ones in the UK :D Hopefully, this tech can help more Rs. reach the mangoe farmers.

yaar waise ameer banda to waise bhi europe main khaa hi leta hai Pakistani mangoes. It is about £7 pounds per box right?
it doesn't bother much if its £5 or even £10 per box, as we have to eat we don't see the prices.

They must also take measures to reach these mangoes for our poor peoples who cannot afford to buy expensive mangoes. If large amount of mangoes will be exported, it may reduce the mango stock from domestic circuit resulting higher prices in local market. We must increase our growth rate as well if we are planning to export more mangoes in future

From where???

Sorry thats a secret :lol:
I cannot tell you :rofl:
If we tell you, you are also going to obtain the technology
and you are our rivals in the international market

Sorry dear - i cannot tell you that :rofl:

Sorry thats a secret :lol:
I cannot tell you :rofl:
If we tell you, you are also going to obtain the technology
and you are our rivals in the international market

Sorry dear - i cannot tell you that :rofl:

:rofl::rofl:

I have asked a genuine question but you have replied it negatively.

BTW, you don't have to worry about India.

We have already got that technology and that too Made in India. Its the technology developed by (FTD) of the Bhabha Atomic Research Center.

And for your reference:

"You can thank scientists at the food technology division
(FTD) of the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre in Trombay, who have successfully completed research to increase its shelf life and kill all insects, pests and parasites in the fruit using a process known as irradiation.

Irradiation, which uses gamma rays, electron beams or x-rays to kill pests, is mandatory for a fruit to be exported to countries such as the US, Australia, New Zealand and Japan."

BARC gives litchis long shelf life, export tag - Hindustan Times

:rofl::rofl:

I have asked a genuine question but you have replied it negatively.

sorry i was just joking my friend, don't mind

and i believe this is an indegineous technology and we have been working on this since past many years. This is an article from 2009

Pakistan: Technology developed to extend shelf life of mangoes-21food.com

this is from 2008

AARI develops post-harvest tech for mango | Pakistan | News | Newspaper | Daily | English | Online

and article from 2010 is shared in the first post

I STILL DONT SEE ANY MANGOES HERE -___-

USA is a big country yaar. I believe even if Pakistan exports all of its mangoes to USA, still there will be many places where you will not find Pakistani mangoes.

Just wait or come to London for this purpose :P

What tech did they discover? They managed to put a fridge on a boat? Can't believe they hadn't already done that for their deep sea fishing boats.

What tech did they discover? They managed to put a fridge on a boat? Can't believe they hadn't already done that for their deep sea fishing boats.

This is for some other country, (india?) i am hoping similar method may have used

Most of the climectric fruits generate ethylene during ripening which is a catalyst for ripening. If fruit is allowed to ripen further, it undergoes autocatalysis which leads to over-ripening and *******. The cycle can be broken by continuously removing ethylene. The present study reports trial of a range of local preservatives to extend the shelf-life of mangoes. Two approaches were used : adsorption of ethylene; and chemical destruction of ethylene. For mangoes cv alphonso from Ratnagiri district of Maharashtra state were stored at RT of 32–36°C and RH of 70–75% in CFB cartons with the following test-materials : 1. Ethysord - Ethylene adsorber, 2. Stoprot - SO2 releaser, 3. Ethylene Oxidiser 4. Halogen Releaser. Physiological loss weight %, sensory evaluation, microbiological analysis and chemical analysis were conducted on various test days. Result showed that Ethysord kept mangoes in good condition up to the 16th day as against normal life of 8 days with minimum PLW%, highest sensory score, lowest microbial load. Results of the chemical analysis showed that a combination of Ethysord and SO2 releaser achieved best results. Oxidiser and halogen releaser also retarded ripening and achieved better overall condition of mangoes as compared to control samples.

POST HARVEST PRESERVATION OF MANGOES BY CONTROLLED CHEMICAL RELEASE AGENTS AND ADSORBENT

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom