What's new

Pakistan F-16 Discussions 2

No IRST integrated till the block 60,

I'm Little confused here,, because there is so much emphasis being given to IRST to be put on JF-17 and when i heard F-16 Blk 52 came without it,,, it sounds weird to me, Can't Pakistan Requested for IRST with F-16's.
=======================================================
Here is a Report of IRST being tested on F-16 in 1996-97

LOCKHEED MARTIN is building an infra-red search-and-track (IRST) sensor pod for flight demonstration on its F-16 in April-May 1997.
The company sees a substantial export market for the sensor, a podded version of the AAS-42 IRST in service since 1994 on US Navy Grumman F-14Ds. It has been cleared to offer the system to Japan for a McDonnell Douglas F-15 upgrade.
The IRST is a long-wavelength infra-red sensor which can produce a thermal image for display in the cockpit and target data for the mission computer. Compared with a radar, the passive sensor can scan a larger volume at longer range and with higher resolution.
Lockheed Martin Electronic Systems says that interest centres on the ability to launch the Hughes AIM-120 Advanced Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missile with the radar off. The missile would be launched at a detected target and tracked by the passive IRST, with mid-course updates provided via the radar in low-probability-of-intercept mode, and active-radar terminal guidance.
The Orlando, Florida-based company says that combat analyses have indicated that F-16s with an IRST would have an improved loss-exchange ratio against the Sukhoi Su-27 by a factor of 2.3, and against the improved Sukhoi Su-35, which has a reduced radar cross-section, by almost 3.5.
Additionally, customers are interested in using the IRST for "non-hostile" cross-border surveillance, and as an alternative to acquiring expensive airborne early-warning aircraft, Lockheed Martin says. Tests are being conducted of its ability to track tactical ballistic missiles.

Lockheed Martin building F-16 IRST-08/05/1996-Flight International

i guess ur right but chinese 5th eneration will probably a twin engine a/c.........and u kno PAF is very alergic to twin engine aircrafts!

but PAF probably will buy 2-3 squads max...

When we will think of buying 5th generation, then of course we will be having enough money, which means no allergy to twin engine aircrafts!!

Also, if it is the case of only 2-3 squadrons then PAF might give an exception towards twin engines.

When we will think of buying 5th generation, then of course we will be having enough money, which means no allergy to twin engine aircrafts!!

Also, if it is the case of only 2-3 squadrons then PAF might give an exception towards twin engines.

When we have serious funds for it when a nation is willing sell us one ... when we fix the rear end of the force before moving on to bigger toys its clear logic you fix your force first which needs alot of fixing and then move on to bigger and better things plzz read up and understand what PAF is doing for the next few years thx.:coffee:

Gentlemen,

I just read the news that Jamali the ex pm wanted to flood the F 16 jacobabad air base----he is continuously saying that the american base was saved and the canal was breached towards baluchistan.

Any further news---please post. Thanks.

Well I guess there goes the condition about keeping the F-16s at Jacobabad - at least for now...

I'm Little confused here,, because there is so much emphasis being given to IRST to be put on JF-17 and when i heard F-16 Blk 52 came without it,,, it sounds weird to me, Can't Pakistan Requested for IRST with F-16's.
=======================================================
Here is a Report of IRST being tested on F-16 in 1996-97

LOCKHEED MARTIN is building an infra-red search-and-track (IRST) sensor pod for flight demonstration on its F-16 in April-May 1997.
The company sees a substantial export market for the sensor, a podded version of the AAS-42 IRST in service since 1994 on US Navy Grumman F-14Ds. It has been cleared to offer the system to Japan for a McDonnell Douglas F-15 upgrade.
The IRST is a long-wavelength infra-red sensor which can produce a thermal image for display in the cockpit and target data for the mission computer. Compared with a radar, the passive sensor can scan a larger volume at longer range and with higher resolution.
Lockheed Martin Electronic Systems says that interest centres on the ability to launch the Hughes AIM-120 Advanced Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missile with the radar off. The missile would be launched at a detected target and tracked by the passive IRST, with mid-course updates provided via the radar in low-probability-of-intercept mode, and active-radar terminal guidance.
The Orlando, Florida-based company says that combat analyses have indicated that F-16s with an IRST would have an improved loss-exchange ratio against the Sukhoi Su-27 by a factor of 2.3, and against the improved Sukhoi Su-35, which has a reduced radar cross-section, by almost 3.5.
Additionally, customers are interested in using the IRST for "non-hostile" cross-border surveillance, and as an alternative to acquiring expensive airborne early-warning aircraft, Lockheed Martin says. Tests are being conducted of its ability to track tactical ballistic missiles.

Lockheed Martin building F-16 IRST-08/05/1996-Flight International

F-16s dont have integrated FLIR or IRST......hence the Sniper Pod acquired by Pakistan which can easily counter such deficiencies....

1759680.jpg

Here is the first F16C block 52 for Pakistan Air Force during its delivery flight!

Are you sure? Because it doesn't seem to have the dorsal spine for CFTs..?

Are you sure? Because it doesn't seem to have the dorsal spine for CFTs..?

Dorsal spine is in the twin seat version to accommodate the stuff whose place is taken up by the second pilot area.

CFTs have not yet been showed on any newer F-16 jet, even the 4 which came did not had any.

They may come later on or may be the PAF does not wants to show them for now.

Dorsal spine is in the twin seat version to accommodate the stuff whose place is taken up by the second pilot area.

CFTs have not yet been showed on any newer F-16 jet, even the 4 which came did not had any.

They may come later on or may be the PAF does not wants to show them for now.
PAF ordered CFTs but said it'll only use them in certain circumstances.

i guess ur right but chinese 5th eneration will probably a twin engine a/c.........and u kno PAF is very alergic to twin engine aircrafts!

but PAF probably will buy 2-3 squads max...

PAF is allergic at the moment but time will time will cure this allergy for sure ;)

at present PAF is wise enough not to opt for maintainance beasts. it is an intresting fact that despite IAF sheer advantage in terms of number of planes the number of sorties they can fly is not that much higher then ours and thus this narrows the numeric gap! :pakistan:

as for the next generations, the twin engines wont be that much of a trouble. with high technological advancement the number of sorties can be filled in by other 4 and 4.5 generation planes!

i dont see PAF rejection a good fifth generation plane of offer just because it is a twin engine!!
however i still am a hardcore supporter of anti-stealth technology radars, when onboard F-7PGs, can even turn them into Raptor Killers :agree:

regards!

How exactly is it allergic to twin engine aircraft?? :what:
Having operated B-57's, F-6's, A-5's throughout its lifetime, having an allergy to twins makes no sense. And if twin engine's were such an issue, the PAF would never have tried for the EF, Rafale ,Fulcrum or Flanker series.
Its a fairly weird logic there...which Ive only heard from Indian members till now who were unaware of the PAF's history..:blink:

well even though PAF have used twin engines planes in the past, and, by saying that PAF is allergic to Twin engines planes does not means that they can not fly them, but still, the truth is light-megium class single engines planes are preffered over heavier twin engine planes by PAF.

this is a wise choice as mentioned above. the Twin engine, heavy weights are costly to maintaine and require more time of maintainance per flying hour as compared to light fighters. the maintainance night mare, Mig-29 and Su serise are a good example.

if an SU can fly two sorties per day the F-16 can fly three.. and that too with shorter gaps!

regards!

1761313.jpg

Built for Pakistan as 92738 but then embargoed. After many years in storage it became operational in 2003 with the 416th FLTS at Edwards

1761468.jpg

Built for Pakistan as 92617 but then embargoed. Delivered to Edwards AFB Flight Test Center in 2003.

all 14 vipers have been delivered to the PAF !!!

Back
Top Bottom