What's new

Pakistan cricket and Tableeghi Jamaat

Let people practice their religion and have as long beard as they want, what is the fuss about it. The only thing which i personally think is wrong is the interuption of practice sessions by these tablighis as it is mentioned in the article. go and pray for 5 min and then focus on practice.

I remember vividly how Javed Miandad plunged to earth offering a nearly fanatical salutation to the Almighty.

i think the article means Sajda after victory? there is nothing wrong with it, it is the same as christian sportsmen doing the cross thing on their forehead and shoulders(dont know what you call it). And there is nothing fanatical about sajda, it is about people's faith. If sajda is fanatical then i am also a fanatic.

Gone are the days of swaggering cricketers like Asif Iqbal, the young Imran Khan or even Wasim Akram. One can now spot flowing beards on the cricketing field, an unmistakable indicator of the players’ religious beliefs. A talented Christian, Yousuf Yohanna, had to convert to Islam in modern day Pakistan to be considered for the skipper’s post, however much he may deny that to be the purpose.

Clearly the days are not gone, one needs to look at Akhtar, Malik, Asif and many others who still have some of the swagger that past cricketers had. As for Youhana, he has clearly stated that he converted because it was his decision and his decision alone.

The cricketing demigods of Pakistan, who used to pull out wickets in moments of triumph, or jump in delight, exchange high fives or thump each others’ back were first seen genuflecting on the ground after the 1992 World Cup victory. I remember vividly how Javed Miandad plunged to earth offering a nearly fanatical salutation to the Almighty.

What is fanatical about a sajda?

Pakistan just won the world cup and in a fit of emotion, Miandad just kneeled on the floor, something which many cricketers do.

Its offensive to associate a sajda with fanaticism but such is expected from third rate journalism/

Today, there is no flamboyance, which till not so far back, was associated with Pakistan’s cricket stars, especially off the field. Barring a handful like Shoaib Akhtar, Pakistani cricketers can be seen lined up on the field doing namaz between practice sessions, than at pubs or bars or even the gym. No Pakistan cricketer these days begins an interview without saying Bismillah ir-Rahman ir-Rahim. His answer throughout will be peppered by loads of Inshallahs.

What is this writer talking about?

Akhtar, Afridi, Asif, Butt and a number of others are known equally for their flamboyance and controversial life as they are for cricketing prowess.

Just because the cricketers have been seen praying, it does not mean that the do not go to the pub, bar or the gym. As for Bismillah, nothing wrong in that but Younis Khan, Malik etc do not start their interviews Bismillah.

It’s a bit scary, but many times during an India-Pakistan tie, one can spot fans of the Pakistan team appeasing the beads of the rosary or uttering incorrigible prayers like zealots on a mission to defeat enemy No. 1, India.

How absurd and offensive, just because a couple of bearded men are praying for a win, much like many others do, does not mean they zealots.

Former opener Saeed Anwar, who lost his daughter, was among the first who turned to religion for solace. One would argue that it may be a natural thing to happen. But then, he began to sermonize! His team members were the first circle of people within his influence. Former captain Inzamam-ul-Haq’s family already had a religious background. Slowly, the youngsters were lapping up whatever the seniors dished out as advice even on deeply personal issues.

Haq was always religious and to impress him, many acted religious for the sake of selection, outside of this, they did whatever that wanted to do.

After announcing retirement from cricket in 2003, Saeed Anwar has devoted his life to preaching Islam. Recently, he led prayers during the funeral of Wasim Akram’s wife Huma in Lahore.

Whats wrong with that?

The changes in the psyche of the Pakistan team are symptomatic of the times the country is encountering. Two decades ago, nobody could have imagined the metamorphosis of the playboy Imran Khan into a born again Muslim. He not only encouraged his Jewish wife to adopt Islam, take on a Muslim name, but also cover her head! A divorced Imran is now often seen in the company of those who hold radical views, have connections with the Taliban and even clerics like Maulana Fazlur Rehman, whom he wanted as PM!

It was Jemima’s own decision to convert to Islam, no one forced her to convert.

As for Imrans associates, that is for political purposes only.

Similarly, Imran, even in his younger days used to say that he did not like clubs/bars and he did not drink. He is still the same Imran he was then and it is absurd to call him a born again Muslim.

From the beginning of this millennium, there have been increasing and constant incidents of enforced religiosity in the team, a development which has been noted by and frowned upon by the Pakistan Cricket Board, but to little avail.

Examples?

According to Pakistan daily Dawn’s Nadeem F Paracha, cricketers instead of sticking to the nets for practice, were regularly assembled and lectured to by Tablighi Jamaat members including speeches by Junaid Jamshed, who went on record saying he wanted to convert late coach Bob Woolmer. Other members like Kamran Akmal, Shoaib Malik, Yasser Hamid, Rana Naved-ul-Hasan and Salman Butt had, at one time, grown beards or at least stubbles to impress Inzy. And Yousuf Yohanna aka Mohammad Yousuf apparently tried to proselytize New Zealand’s Daniel Vettori!

Oh, no, not the damn stubble.

Stubble is truly a sign of an extremist.

According to Paracha, even youngsters like Afridi, who were holding out, have been won over by the Islamic group and are now staunch followers of the faith. Obviously, it suggests that the dressing room culture of the team has been transformed beyond recognition.

Afridi is from a conservative part of the country but his cousins who live in Karachi are liberal and progressive, I know, one of his cousins was my teacher.

How would it be if the Pakistan team gets more and more into dogma? During Football World Cup, UAE had declared Vuvuzela as ‘haram’ because it was too loud. Tomorrow, Pakistan may not want its women to play cricket or ask women and men to sit in segregated compartments in the auditorium or not want women to watch men playing at all! Would it be okay for the team to play with alleged infidels in the first place?
What kind of nonsense is this?

This paragraph is just infuriating and the use of terms is just downright pathetic. First of all the writer is assuming things and we all know that assumption is the mother of all **** ups.

One may contend that what I am suggesting is a little too far fetched, but I would like to counter ask whether anyone had expected the Pakistan team to assume even the slightest religious hue in 1975? Yet, it has happened. One can never discount for what may happen in 2035.

That is why you wait and see, in 75 you might have thought one thing but like I said, you cannot assume anything.

All in all an absurd and offensive article which reeks of cheap journalism.

I guess a liberal secularist like me would be counted as a zealot too by this writer.

Back
Top Bottom