What's new

Pakistan could take additional Jordanian F-16s

atlssa

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Source: Flightglobal.com

Pakistan could acquire more Jordanian Lockheed Martin F-16 A/B Block 15 aircraft, as it prepares to receive the final two examples of the current deal for 13 aircraft.

An air force spokesman says the number of F-16’s could increase, but did not provide specific numbers.

From late April, Pakistan has received 11 former Jordanian F-16s. The arrival of the last two aircraft is expected soon, says the spokesman.

Pakistan decided to acquire used aircraft, as opposed to new ones, owing to budgetary concerns.

Based on Flightglobal’s World Air Force’s directory, the deal reduces Jordan’s F-16 fleet to 29 examples, and boosts Pakistan’s to 50.

Media reports from Pakistan quote air force officials saying that on average the airframes still have 3,000 flying hours, and should serve for an additional 20 years.

Pakistan could take additional Jordanian F-16s - 5/14/2014 - Flight Global

We should collect all of the World's F-16's at cheap prices.

We are the major buyer and the selling countries have two options.

Either sell their F-16's to Pakistan and make at least some money to buy newer aircrafts OR Put their F-16's in the Warehouse to rust away and make Zero dollars. This is a buyers market for Pakistan because there are not that many Buyers on the market who have expertise in F-16's to purchase them in large numbers. Buying in small numbers is not cost efficient because then you have to set up the whole infrastructure to support the F-16 Maintenance. Pakistan is in the enviable position because it already has extensive infrastructure to support old F-16's and we are experts in operating and maintaining these birds.

Last edited:
Exactly, The F16 is a fantastic plane and with or without upgrades is still a very potent plane against any foe

If we can pick up these f-16s at reduced prices then we can continue to build up both our F16 & JF17 fleets to make a very potent airforce.

This is why the J10B option is not being considered, why induct a new plane that will take years and lots of money to master when we can buy dirt cheap F16's where we already have all the experience in the world with them

Build up up our fleets and then go for a 5th gen option in about 10 years time

I have to submit my honest opinion that PAF has some very good planners and professionals which have made it possible for the country to get the most BANG for the BUCK. Indeed, the kind of Financial management show the PAF has put up does make me praise them. I also feel this a complete master-stroke as it allows time for the Chinese to hone their manufacturing skills and eventually once ready you guys can shift to Chinese jets with no strings.

Sometimes I think having a somewhat strong Financial muscle makes us complacent in our decision making. I was reading about the IAF Mirage upgrade deal and I think we could have better utilised those funds. $ 40 million per plane sounds awfully lot even with the capability it brings to us. Following PAF, I think we could too look for some second hand mirages.

But Good choice. Interesting times for Military followers.

If we are counting on getting more MLU kits ... that may or may not materialize based on what the US stance on this whole scenario is going to be. At the moment we have 15 mlu kits to spare. 13 of those could be utilized to upgrade the ex-RJAF ADFs we just got. That would leave 2 to spare for sure.

Whether the US would actually clear the sales of more mlu kits, may not be a done deal.
It is likely they wouldn't mind because that would create demand for new fighter jets else where and promote sales of mlu kits from the US directly. But whether that weighs anything in their greater scheme of things remains to be seen.

Back
Top Bottom