What's new

Pakistan Could Have Become an Asian Tiger By Now

In his defense, he did have his hands full with pleasing the Americans and dealing with the nut bags who had just about then started targeting the Pakistani state. He did get undue heat for the Lal Masjid op, I don't think he'd have relished the $hit that the "old guard" would have piled on to him had he actually sat down to make some fundamental changes.

You could be right that there was so much instability in the neighborhood and Musharraf couldn't afford to rock the boat within Pakistan.

One fact remains; institutions have failed to be created in Pakistan. Save probably one. Now members of that institution have ruled for long enough in direct terms (lets leave out indirect control). So why did not the institutions then get created in the same mould as that one?
That then leads one to question: did even the members of that institution have a short-sighted, selfish agenda?

That is my biggest beef with the Pakistan army.

As much as I respect the rank and file for doing their patriotic duty, it is the generals who bear the blame for allying themselves with the feudals.

Every industrialized nation on earth has undergone land reforms -- some more violently than others -- before they could even begin to attain their people's potential.

How on earth can you expect a nation to progress when the political scene is dominated by a group whose entire existence depends on keeping the masses poor, uneducated and dependent?

Last edited:
You could be right that there was so much instability in the neighborhood and Musharraf couldn't afford to rock the boat within Pakistan.

That is my biggest beef with the Pakistan army.

As much as I respect the rank and file for doing their patriotic duty, it is the generals who bear the blame for allying themselves with the feudals.

Every industrialized nation on earth has undergone land reforms -- some more violently than others -- before they could even begin to attain their people's potential.

How on earth can you expect a nation to progress when the political scene is dominated by a group whose entire existence depends on keeping the masses poor, uneducated and dependent?

Just with reference to the underlined part, even Musharraff did not grab power with some altruistic motives in mind. He was more mindful of protecting his own backside.
Coincidentally, 9/11 took place; he got onto the band-wagon (reluctantly or not); Funds flowed in, "creative accounting" was used; and some kind of 'success story' got created.
His institution could not rock the proverbial "boat" at any time (even before him) because that institution was an important occupant of the boat; even when it was not steering the boat!

The rest of the post is absolutely correct.

well bhai thing is pakistanies love to hate every thing indian more than they should be concerned in finding ways to bring pakistan owt of this constant cycle of there "blunders, plunders and surrenders"

now the thing is pakistani elite & establishment & pakistani population in general is not willing to come owt of there love of thekedary of ummaha and hate and obsession against hindu indians and india

cause thats the onli things that is there national identity and keeping them united still

now if they want to serousli come owt of this mess it will take very harsh decisions

1. uproot this feudalism

2.rewamp there beurocracy and judecearry

3. rewamp there current education system

4.rewamp there tax collection system

5. make peace with india and drop thsi kashmeer obsession till they are strong enof

6. open trade routes between india to central asia wia pakistan

and work evry very hard on these points for at least two to three decades sincearli onli then pakistan can make a break even but the reality is all of the above is not going to happen in near future cause pakistanies love to live in denial and dream of messiah that will come one day and unite them so they can settle scores with hindu indians and then evry thing will be on track ...now what do you call that ???

Too right mate.Pakistan created in name of religion.But now live only for religion.

10-year exemption from audit likely for tax evaders - DAWN.COM
A good bonus for tax evaders in pakistan.
Still they are coming towards us for peace in kashmir.A good people see good sides of a country.Some people can only see the poverty in India.But they cant see our achievements even in this diversity challenges inside and disturbance from volatile South Asia.They cant see India overtaking them.We Indians acknowledge chinese are overall above us,but pakistanies cant accept
they are below India.In their eyes they can see the poverty in BIMARU and filth of ugly Indians(pakistan are talking like that).They cant digest our achivements in space,nuclear sector etc.
They cant see developed south Indian state and developed north Indian states.But I like their behaviour.'Live in Denial' of pakistanis after all that is good for us Indians,before they wake up we can move more towards good and prosperus.We proud what we are,even if their is a poverty.we dont claim we are successors of superior race,like pakistan claim that they are successors of Arabs.
If pakistan take mass land reforms and make a good taxing for rich people.Uprooted all kind separatism and terrorism ,their is a hope for pakistan but all it will take time at least 2 to 3 decades
under democratic set up.Otherwise they need military regime for fast recovery

I am sorry but I have to disagree 100% on this.

"Here are some figures from Economist magazine's EIU 2013:

Bangladesh GDP per head: $695 (PPP: $1,830)

Pakistan GDP per head: $1,410 (PPP: $2,960)

Pakistan-Bangladesh GDP per head Ratio: 2.03 ( PPP: 1.62)"

This for a start is simply wrong.

BD's actual GDP/capita in US dollars is over 1000 dollars and not 695 dollars using the 2005 base year that Pakistan now uses. That figure is from 3 years ago and using the old 1995 base year to boot!

The other thing to mention is that Pakistan's glory days in the 1960s resulted in GDP growth of 6% a year, which is around 3% GDP/capita, so that is not really all that impressive when you consider that S Korea/taiwan had GDP/capita growth of 7%+ a year for decade after decade. A major reason for this was the massive fiscal transfers that were happening from East Pakistan(now Bangladesh) to West Pakistan(Pakistan) and we saw the result of what happened to Pakistan's economy when this money was turned off in the 1970s. True in the 1980s Pakistan again grew by 6% a year but then it was US aid that helped Pakistan due to the Soviet Invasion of Pakistan.

Without wishing to sound negative, Pakistan has not been able to prove itself capable of fast GDP/capita growth since independence, even with BD and US money in the 1960s and 1980s.

5% a year GDP/capita would be a minimum a year sustained over decades, and Pakistan only managed 3.5% a year maximum in the 1980s.

I hope Pakistanis do not think that I am trying to put down Pakistan but it it best to be honest and not live in some fantasy that never really existed. The leaders of the subcontinent, apart from Sri Lanka, have proved grossly incompetent when it comes to the economy since independence.

Silly analysis-architect of Kargil conflict and killing of Benazir Bhuto and legal fraternity disenchanted-all these was drain on the Pakistan economy,Pakistan railway infrastructure and air travel were in shambles.What good did he do-Al-Khalid and JF 17 induction -do these things help to eradicate poverty in Pakistan.Use commonsense

I have little regard for Benazir. As for legal fraternity, his firing the Chief Justice somehow vindicated by chief Justice's actions regarding missing person case, not taking notice of election rigging and his son's massive corruption.

Pakistan railway and PIA were doing much much better under Musharraf than under this so called democracy. Also dont forget Pakistan Steel was in profit. Please read and analyize without tainting it with your sentiment.

As I said I m not fan of Musharraf. But you have to give it to him for good governance and high growth in economy. Plus dont forget under his rule Pakistan was a much more popular (in a good sense) country in the west.

If only one could turn the clock back to 1965 & undo all the knots tied after that! Only other day I heard some Indian analyst claiming that Pakistan was the second most industrialized nation in Asia behind Japan in mid 60s. Course of path it has taken afterwords is quite evident today. Pakistan changed it's course in the mid 60s from being a social security state to a national security state... & the outcome of that is not too pleasant!

Then again, as they say.... hindsight is the best sight!

Last edited:
Yea and India could have owner of the zoo. Stop trying to think on what could have been and instead look at what in fact is right now. South Asia is the poorest region of Asia. Compare that to South East Asia(Singapore Thailand etc) and East Asia(Japan Taiwan Hong kong South Korea). We are the worse and we should think of what can be done in future instead what could have been

Could have, would have, should have are all suppositions. Let us ignore what could have been and concentrate on what should be done. No economic progress is possible unless terrorist & sectarian problem is resolved and this can’t happen until Taliban menace is eliminated.

But then who worries about stupid Economics? If Taliban lovers the bigot Munawwar Hasan have their way: Taliban could have FATA and a chunk of KPK under their control in exchange for TTP to leave rest of Pakistan alone. Rest of the population would be constantly worrying about whether the beard is of the right length or if the shalwar is above the ankles, else Taliban will be annoyed and start suicide bombings again.

Let us do our utmost to stop this from happening rather than sulking about what could have been.

I understand what Riaz is doing and I agree with him to the extent that the nation needs morale boosting and a reminder of good achievements. Especially when most of the Pakistani media excels in kicking us while we are down.

However, I disagree with him on what constitutes progress.

When I think of Pakistan, I think of the poor masses who lack even basic necessities; the young people whose potential is never realized because the government can't even give them 24 hours of electricity; or the salaried people who are stuck carrying the income tax burden while most of the richer folks hitch a free ride.

I don't measure progress by the nation's average bank balance, or the number of American fast food joints, or the number of car dealerships.

I measure it by the number of world class athletes, scientists, artists, universities that Pakistan produces. We have the potential. There were times when we could hold our own against the best of them in almost all these fields. It's sad to see how far we have fallen.

All of these components made significant progress in years 2000-2007.

Poverty was cut in half from 34% to 17%

Education spending dramatically increased as reflected in faster human development.

Number of universities more than doubled.

Electricity was much more reliable.

An excerpt of IMF LOI signed by PPP govt finance minister in 2008: "Pakistan's economy witnessed a major economic transformation in the last decade. The country's real GDP increased from $60 billion to $170 billion, with per capita income rising from under $500 to over $1000 during 2000-07". It further acknowledged that "the volume of international trade increased from $20 billion to nearly $60 billion. The improved macroeconomic performance enabled Pakistan to re-enter the international capital markets in the mid-2000s. Large capital inflows financed the current account deficit and contributed to an increase in gross official reserves to $14.3 billion at end-June 2007. Buoyant output growth, low inflation, and the government's social policies contributed to a reduction in poverty and improvement in many social indicators". (see MEFP, November 20, 2008, Para 1)

Haq's Musings: Musharraf's Economic Legacy

I am sorry but I have to disagree 100% on this.

"Here are some figures from Economist magazine's EIU 2013:

Bangladesh GDP per head: $695 (PPP: $1,830)

Pakistan GDP per head: $1,410 (PPP: $2,960)

Pakistan-Bangladesh GDP per head Ratio: 2.03 ( PPP: 1.62)"

This for a start is simply wrong.

BD's actual GDP/capita in US dollars is over 1000 dollars and not 695 dollars using the 2005 base year that Pakistan now uses. That figure is from 3 years ago and using the old 1995 base year to boot!

There are many other development and stds of living indicators indicators which support the big income gap between Pak and BD.

Pakistan-Bangladesh GDP per head Ratio: 2.03 ( PPP: 1.62)

Bangladesh-Pakistan GDP (Source: World Bank)

Upward Economic Mobility:

Pakistan has continued to offer much greaterupward economic andsocial mobility to its citizens than Bangladesh and India over the last two decades. Since 1990, Pakistan's middle class had expanded by 36.5%, India's by only 12.8% and Bangladesh's by just 8.3%, according to an ADB report titled "Asia's Emerging Middle Class: Past, Present And Future.

Per Capita Energy Consumption:

Energy consumption in this day and age generally indicates a nation's level of industrialization, productivity and standards of living. Going by this yardstick, Pakistan's 14 million BTUs per capita consumption is well ahead of Bangladesh's 6 million BTUs per capita as estimated by US Energy Information Administration for 2009.

Per Capita Cement Consumption:

Cement use is an important barometer of national economic activity in developing countries. Pakistan's cement consumption of 132 Kg per capita is significantly higher than Bangladesh's 85 Kg per person.

Agriculture Value Added Per Capita in Constant 2000 US$ (Source: World Bank)

Job Growth:

Pakistan's employment growth has been the highest in South Asia region since 2000, followed by Nepal, Bangladesh, India, and Sri Lanka in that order, according to a recent World Bank report titled "More and Better Jobs in South Asia".

Total employment in South Asia (excluding Afghanistan and Bhutan) rose from 473 million in 2000 to 568 million in 2010, creating an average of just under 800,000 new jobs a month. In all countries except Maldives and Sri Lanka, the largest share of the employed are the low‐end self-employed.

Other Facts:

Here are a few other relevant data points in comparing Bangladesh and Pakistan:

1. Bangladesh is still categorized by the World Bank among low income and least developed countries of the world, while Pakistan is a middle income country and classified well above the list of least developed countries of the world.

2. Bangladesh is ranked as 11th poorest country in the world by the World Bank in terms of the percentage of population living on $1.25 or less a day. Neighboring India is the 14th poorest on this list, while Pakistan does not show up on it. The rest of the nations on this list are all in sub-Saharan Africa.

3. In 1947, East Pakistan started with a lower economic base than West Pakistan, and the loss of its Hindu Bengali business elite in 1947 left it worse off. It also didn't have the benefit of the large number ofMuslim businessmen who migrated to West Pakistan, particularly Karachi, after partition of India in 1947.

4. Pakistani economist Dr. Ishrat Husain explains it well when he says that "although East Pakistan benefited from Ayub’s economic reforms in 1960s, the fact that these benefits were perceived as a dispensation from a quasi-colonial military regime to its colony—East Pakistan—proved to be lethal."

World Hunger Index Rankings

It must, however, be acknowledged that Bangladeshi economy has been outperforming Pakistan's in the last few years, particularly since President Musharraf's departure in 2008. Bangladesh has also made significant strides on various social indicators and it now ranks just one notch below Pakistan on human development index 2011. Bangladesh's family planning efforts have been remarkably successful in lowering the fertility rate of Bangladeshi women, an area where Pakistan significantly lags behind the rest of South Asia.

Haq's Musings: Comparing Bangladesh With Pakistan in 2012

Last edited:

2. Bangladesh is ranked as 11th poorest country in the world by the World Bank in terms of the percentage of population living on $1.25 or less a day. Neighboring India is the 14th poorest on this list, while Pakistan does not show up on it. The rest of the nations on this list are all in sub-Saharan Africa.

You need to update your chart, poverty in India is reduced by half to 21.9%

Poverty declines to 21.9% in 2011-12: Planning Commission - The Times of India

EVERYONE IS COMPARING REAL DEMOCRACY WITH IDEAL DICTATORSHIP ; YOU SHOULD COMPARE REAL WITH REAL AND IDEAL WITH IDEAL .

REAL DEMOCRACY CAN BE COMPARED WITH DICTATORSHIP IN STATES LIKE LIBYA , EGYPT, ZIMBABWE; CUBA , SOUTH AFRICA OR INDIAN STATES LIKE W.BENGAL

IDEAL DICTATORSHIP CAN BE COMPARED WITH IDEAL DEMOCRACIES LIKE IN UK, JAPAN OR INDIAN STATES LIKE GUJRAT, RAJASTHAN.

P.S The stats given here about indian poverty levels and nos. are absolute B.S . After China it is India who has seen the largest reduction in poverty levels and a reduction of almost 250 mil in absolute nos.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom