What's new

Pakistan buys additional medium-range SAMs

Year Book 2014-2015
2014 2015.jpg

Excellent news.

For those who are doubting if it is 6 launch vehicles or six systems, look at the total number of radars we have bought til date! The number clearly suggest that these are 6 SYSTEMS. Normally a HQ-16 battery consist of 4 launch vehicles, a radar and C&C vehicle.

This is a great purchase indeed.

This is definitely great but whart about long range SAMs. We definitely lack on this front.

can you provide a link or an image/video prove that BARAK 8 can intercept air to air missiles thank you sir
Well, it suppose to, according to channel 2 , it defeated a cruise missile that simulate yakhont
http://www.mako.co.il/news-military...41004.htm?sCh=3d385dd2dd5d4110&pId=1898243326
also, according the company's promotion video, it clearly shows that it should counter such threads
Also, Important note that, while Iron dome is an anti missile battery, it also counters drones

This is definitely great but whart about long range SAMs. We definitely lack on this front.

Our short and medium range assets will probably be increased in the short term with long range SAMs being inducted if and when S400 comes online for india.

It will be fine by me if we plug all holes in Low to Med category first and then move to fewer numbers of Long range SAM as well. First a good med/Low level air defense net is essential and that is what is being worked on. Once that is all done and in place we can always select some long range missile system in limited numbers.

Step by step and well planned progress while keeping in view the budgetary constrains and urgent need. Right said as above ( @Arsalan ), ASAP the Medium/Low area is addressed, IMO, we will be moving to High area that too with possibility of integration a system that can work in network centric mode/inter-linked with the existing systems, most probably.

trolling and sarcasm bro.
can you stop trolling and discuss it properly?

Well, it suppose to, according to channel 2 , it defeated a cruise missile that simulate yakhont
http://www.mako.co.il/news-military...41004.htm?sCh=3d385dd2dd5d4110&pId=1898243326
also, according the company's promotion video, it clearly shows that it should counter such threads
Also, Important note that, while Iron dome is an anti missile battery, it also counters drones
no sir you don't understand my point, i am asking air to air missiles not anti ship missiles or UAV

Nothing concrete on long range SAM. Just mentions interest,

http://missilethreat.com/defense-systems/ft-2000/

Negotiations are in advanced stage.

Will China Sell New Long-Range Surface-to-Air Missiles to Pakistan? | The Diplomat

But sir he said that we had inducted HQ-9 long time ago and you said we have been negotiating it, i am just saying that it is just a rumors nothing else

In June 2013, wantchinatimes.com reported:

Pakistan is also negotiating with the Chinese government to purchase its HQ-16 and HQ-9 surface-to-air missiles. Senior official in Pakistan told the Kanwa Defense Review that the only obstacles standing between Pakistan and China signing a contract is the current price of the missiles.

In May 2016, it was reported:

Pakistan is ready to make a decision over the procurement of new Chinese air defense systems once it receives a complete sales proposal, Pakistan’s Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif said during a high-level meeting with senior Chinese officials last Friday in Islamabad, according to a press release issued by the Pakistani Prime Minister’s Office.

“The Prime Minister said that the decision for induction of Air Defense System in Pakistan by CPMIEC would be finalized after receipt of complete proposal from the Chinese side.

Excellent news.

For those who are doubting if it is 6 launch vehicles or six systems, look at the total number of radars we have bought til date! The number clearly suggest that these are 6 SYSTEMS. Normally a HQ-16 battery consist of 4 launch vehicles, a radar and C&C vehicle.

This is a great purchase indeed.

Nine systems (batteries) have been purchased. A battery of the HQ-16 consists of four launcher vehicles, command post, two radar vehicles, missile transport and reloading vehicles, power supply vehicles and so on. Most of them are based on the same 6x6 high mobility chassis.

We have 10 batteries of Spada SAM too. They are also medium range SAM's i guess.

According to MBDA, Spada 2000 has Area intercept coverage of 20 km. So, it is a short-range SAM.

Interesting.But LY-80 has a range of 45km, how will they counter India's Barak-8 SAM with a range of 90km?
Silly post. One SAM doesn't counter another. A SAM counters aircraft and other flying objects. Whether LY-80 is fitting, depend on what other systems Pakistan has, and the air threat, not on what India has in terms of SAMs.

India version will probably be 150 km
In which case the proper comparison is moving toward HQ9

anti missile is not for intercept air to air missiles but build for ballistic missiles and cruise missile, name me one SAM of the world that can intercept air to air missile
I know naval surface to air missiles that can kill an incoming 4,5" artillery round (Sea Wolf). I'm sure that if e.g. a semi-active radar homing missile like the Sparrow were used to shoot at a Sea Wolf equipped ship, the system would have no problem knocking it down.

We have 10 batteries of Spada SAM too. They are also medium range SAM's i guess.
They are SHORADS (10-20km)

I know naval surface to air missiles that can kill an incoming 4,5" artillery round (Sea Wolf). I'm sure that if e.g. a semi-active radar homing missile like the Sparrow were used to shoot at a Sea Wolf equipped ship, the system would have no problem knocking it down.
Anti missile batteries should have no problem to face long range air to air missiles

Russia offered export versions of both Buk & Tor anti air missiles as well as PantsirS2.
Seems we took wise decision of following LY80 instead of opening a zoo of various types of air defense with similar capabilities.
It will be wise to consider Hq9 advance versions for long range high altitude aerial defense once medium range systems are required in sufficient numbers.
I guess Pantsir was dumbed in favor of Hq7B .......
Which once again, is good decision.

Anti missile batteries should have no problem to face long range air to air missiles
Don't bring off topic discussion plz ......

Neither Barak-8 not Iron Dome has been used against AIR TO AIR missiles (i.e. those carried by one aircraft against another aircraft). It is silly to claim this: why would a groundbased surface to air missile system be used for such a purpose - interfering with one aircraft attempting to kill another with a missile - in the first place (try picturing an actual scenario in which this would happen)?

Back
Top Bottom