What's new

Pakistan Army's VT-4 Main Battle Tank | Updates & Discussions

Nope. You should know that from the days before even you occupied the lofty heights of "Moderstar". Sometimes you have to call a spade a spade. And you know that guy is a cheap spade.
You are allowed to call a spade and spade when you deem this necessary but without insulting other members.

Your point will carry much more weight without insults in the mix. Insulting defeats the purpose of a conversation.

@PanzerKiel

I have question for others general knowledge as well.

From the Azerbaijan videos I've noticed one particular thing and very few picked up on it, the hits the drone's been doing was located where the engine is to de-mobilize the tank without taking a chance on the turret (possibly due to armor), is our VT-4 and other tanks protected from a hit there whereas the armor is probably the thinnest?

Or would you bring this up to our planners to create some sort of plating in a upgrade program to cover this weak spot as well?
If you do not have adequate air defenses like the Armenians to shoot down the drones, once the drone goes into position for the kill, any tank would be finished off due to the thin top armor. Tanks are designed for protection from ground threats ... not aerial threats. I'm sure those Azeri drones could have destroyed those Armenian tanks had they targeted the turret.

I think by 2025, we may be looking at:
1. 1000 VT-4
2. Approx. 700 AKs
3. T-80UD 320
4. Type 85 IIAP 268
5. Approx. 600 AZ
6. Approx. 600 Type 59s
7. Type 69 II MP 158

6 from the list could be put in storage / reserve or even retired. If they are retired, perhaps AZs could be put in reserve / storage along with Type 69s, which also have been upgraded (?? or so I guestimate).

Ideally, PA would look to standardize on VT-4, AK and T-80 UD, keep in reserve Type 85, Type 69 and AZ, while retiring / giving away to FC Type 59s. This would create a meaningful war reserve which Pak so far has lacked. Also, since AZ and Type 85 shoot the same ammo as VT-4 / AK / T-80 UD, them being kept in reserve makes sense more than vanilla Type 59 / 69.
It should be that. We need those Tanks

so the initial order has been of 4 regiments - obviously to re-equip the armour with the 6 AD's organic brigades. Follow-up will definitely be enough for 3 regiments; kinda like the T80-UD pattern. 1 as the Div Recce Regt and 2 for the Armd Bde that can can operate directly under Corps HQ. I reckon that's all the armour the I Corps has, as I wouldn't expect it's supporting infantry divisions to hold integral armour as such (19 ID could have one?) Apparently the ARN/ARS like to keep commonality in armour type.

so the initial order has been of 4 regiments - obviously to re-equip the armour with the 6 AD's organic brigades. Follow-up will definitely be enough for 3 regiments; kinda like the T80-UD pattern. 1 as the Div Recce Regt and 2 for the Armd Bde that can can operate directly under Corps HQ. I reckon that's all the armour the I Corps has, as I wouldn't expect it's supporting infantry divisions to hold integral armour as such (19 ID could have one?) Apparently the ARN/ARS like to keep commonality in armour type.
Haven't we done away with the div recce unit and Won't 300 tanks make up 5 Regts

Last edited:
Haven't we done away with the div recce unit and Won't 300 tanks make up 5 Regts

There are no more light armored brigades in the division. All are now heavy with two armour regiments each. That makes 264 tanks. Then, there are three HQ Squadrons of the three armored brigades, and the HQ squadron of the division itself. Then couple of tanks are required at the training centre and armour school as well for training purposes.

Quoting from a document, "The Wrong track: Errors in American tank development in World War II."

"The 3rd Armored Division entered combat in Normandy with 232 M4 Sherman tanks. During the European Campaign, the Division had some 648 Shermans completely destroyed in combat and we had another 700 knocked out, repaired, and put back into operation. This was a loss rate of 580 percent."

M4 Sherman was a "death trap". Todays tanks are much better overall in reliability, protection, firepower and mobility. Considering that 580% wouldn't be applicable today, still if 100% loss rate is applicable, PA would need double the strength the of VT-4 for just one Armored Division. Not 300 but 600 VT-4.

There are no more light armored brigades in the division. All are now heavy with two armour regiments each. That makes 264 tanks. Then, there are three HQ Squadrons of the three armored brigades, and the HQ squadron of the division itself. Then couple of tanks are required at the training centre and armour school as well for training purposes.
how scouting is done for the area in the age of drones?

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom