What's new

Pakistan Army's T-129 ATAK Helicopter Deal | Updates & Discussions.

any recent news on Pakistan's procurement of T-129 ATAK Attack helicopter?

Turkey is already producing F-16 Under license if im not wrong........?

regards,

sunny

Turkey is already producing F-16 Under license if im not wrong........?

regards,

sunny

Yes that is correct we also do the Engines. We have actually built Fuselages and wings for USAF F-16s and completely built a number of Block 40 F-16s for the Egyptian Air Force. Along with all of ours.

It will be as heavy as apache and as light as cobra :) im thrilled :bounce:

Not really, Apaches emtpy weight is over 5000 Kg, but that is the maximum take off weight of the AW129/T129. Apache is a heavy weight combat helicopter, AW129/129 is only in the light combat helicopter class like the Cobras, or EC Tigers.

Not really, Apaches emtpy weight is over 5000 Kg, but that is the maximum take off weight of the AW129/T129. Apache is a heavy weight combat helicopter, AW129/129 is only in the light combat helicopter class like the Cobras, or EC Tigers.

I meant its firepower... with this twin engines, it will have no problem wit carrying hellfire missiles or Turkish equivalent UMTAS missiles... I mean its body may be light but its armament is HEAVY :)

M230 doesnt meet our needs, our troops are sometimes getting very close of enemy, M230 is not accurate and has area effect explosive projectiles, it has high risk of damaging our own troops

So, M197 20 mm gatling will do the job :)

Last edited:
In regards to the Cobra, they are probably available in abundance however I am not sure wether the Cobra helicopter is very suitable for Pakistan.

Pakistan has like Turkey high mountains and needs a helicopter that can fully armed hover up to 4 - 6 km. The single engined Cobra can not!

The double engined super Cobra can, but they are not available cos the US marines is converting them into King Cobra helicopters.

That's the main reason why Turkey selected the T-129 attack helicopter, the helicopter is suitable for the Turkish mountainous landscape (also for Pakistan)
regards

Nasilsanez!

Thanks for the info on the limited capabilities of the single engine Cobras. I mentioned the cobras as a good stop-gap measure and we could easily fill our attack helicopter void as they are in abundance sitting in US Storage centres, we should be procuring regardless.

Pakistan has an extreme shortage of helicopters, we started off with a small fleet of 20 dedicated attack helicopters(cobra's) and I dont think we've made any significant increases in the past decade or so that can be called a major expansion.

We have used retrofitted and ageing puma's and M-17 etc.. but these are not dedicated attack helicopters.

Is it such a major overhaul to upgrade the single to a double engined cobra? while Pakistan does require a helicopter that can handle our rough terrain(our major anti-tank need is our eastern border-Sindhi Dessert/Panjab plains/hills of Kashmir), but as you correctly pointed to, our terrain is diverse, and should cover for our significant mountainous terrain as well, the key point i would like to stress is that we need to fill this void quickly(i.e. Hurry up Turkey! we need attack choppers fast!)

We will eventually need to establish a local helicopter facility and manufacturing base, for a wide array of helicopter types (attack and equally if not more important transport types). Pakistan's size, her population, geography, regional environment and topography dictate that we take positive steps in this regard.

Any estimates as to when will the T-129 ATAK helicopter be operational?

The T-129 will be available in 2015-16.

To convert a single engine cobra into a twin engine cobra is possible, the first super cobra prototypes where converts but the costs involved for such is not justifyable as it is nearing the cost of a new atack helicopter.

I meant its firepower... with this twin engines, it will have no problem wit carrying hellfire missiles or Turkish equivalent UMTAS missiles... I mean its body may be light but its armament is HEAVY :)

M230 doesnt meet our needs, our troops are sometimes getting very close of enemy, M230 is not accurate and has area effect explosive projectiles, it has high risk of damaging our own troops

So, M197 20 mm gatling will do the job :)

Still not correct, the firepower is also only light and comparable to Tiger, not to Apache!

The T129 will carry 8 anti tank missiles and a 20 mm gun with 500 rounds, while Apache carries 16 ATGM and a 30mm gun with 1200 rounds.

Check the T129 brochure and you will see it:

http://www.tai.com.tr/ds_Resource/image/content/T129 ATAK-Brochure.pdf

Light combat helicopters:

AW129 / T129
AH 1 Cobra (Viper can carry 16 ATGMs too, but still is mainly a LCH)
WZ 10
HAL LCH
AH-2 Rooivalk (same as mentioned for the Viper)

Heavy combat helicopters:

AH 64 Apache
Mi 28
Ka 52

Contrary to A-129, One side wing of T-129 Atak will be able to carry 300kg weight.

300*2= 600kg for both wing...

4 UMTAS missiles + Launcher weight <210kg X2 < 420 kg for both wing...

600kg-420kg (8 missile +2 launcher) = 180kg remained...

180/ 37.5kg (Weight of 1 Umtas Missile) = More than 4.8 UMTAS missiles can be mounted on T-129 wings additional to 8 UMTAS.

8+4.8 = More than 12.8 UMTAS Missiles ranked kick-arse High Fire Power for an Light Attack helicopter which has a take off weight around 5000 kg...

Last edited:
In additions, In prospect of latest development in Turkish defence industry, New generation intelligent MFD's which was developed by Aselsan new, will be integrated on T-129 Atak's...

Up 3 MFD is new...

asel4-1.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom