What's new

Pakistan Army Aviation Corps - Updated

There are Cobra at Peshawar. They aren't permanently based there but used as a base for attacks in particular radius. This picture should be from Quetta. The runway at Peshawar has green trees and plants around it and Quetta has mountains visible.

I am 99% sure it isn't Peshawar. The scene is from Quetta, Cobras do go to Quetta & are many times stationed there, and many times they come from Quetta to SWA for operational deployment for 10-15 day time periods.

Its the A310's that bugged me.. but apparently they do operate out of Quetta..
Moreover, if it was Peshawar.. it would not be this devoid of man made scenery... along wth the fact that I remember clearly that Peshawar's runaway has more greenery ..so yeah.. Quetta it is.

Look at the picture again, the holding area (where the cobra is parked) is of asphalt and dark while the runway threshold area is of cement and lighter in color. Right after the holding area there is only dirt and no more concrete run off area or anything.

Now look at Google earth and you would find that the runway 17 of Peshawar fits the bill perfectly...the runway threshold and holding area arrangement of Quetta from either runway does not match this picture.

But the lack of greenery is a question... maybe the pic was taken during dry season or something.

Peshawar is used as a base camp for FATA ops. Refueling and small maintenance, a transit between Multan and FATA.

Look at GE, you can see around 2-3 Cobras stationed there.

Nops, just refueling is done as there is no dedicated Sqd or personnel of Cobra here at Psh. And Cobras from Multan directly use the route to go to SW/NA. Dedicated Cobra Sqd detachment is stationed at Ghazi Base, they go to FATA areas of bajaur, mohmand, khyber, orakzai, swa, nwa from Ghazi base, its their full time base. psh is just a stop over in case they are low on fuel.

what you see over peshawar come and go from ghazi base. its just a 10 min drive for them.

Look at the picture again, the holding area (where the cobra is parked) is of asphalt and dark while the runway threshold area is of cement and lighter in color. Right after the holding area there is only dirt and no more concrete run off area or anything.

Now look at Google earth and you would find that the runway 17 of Peshawar fits the bill perfectly...the runway threshold and holding area arrangement of Quetta from either runway does not match this picture.

But the lack of greenery is a question... maybe the pic was taken during dry season or something.

Those mountains in the back are nothing to match with what Peshawar has, and the emptiness/background clarity/vastness of the base/airport is something which either Quetta has or its some place else.

Nops, just refueling is done as there is no dedicated Sqd or personnel of Cobra here at Psh. And Cobras from Multan directly use the route to go to SW/NA. Dedicated Cobra Sqd detachment is stationed at Ghazi Base, they go to FATA areas of bajaur, mohmand, khyber, orakzai, swa, nwa from Ghazi base, its their full time base. psh is just a stop over in case they are low on fuel.

what you see over peshawar come and go from ghazi base. its just a 10 min drive for them.

Hmm...a couple of years back, a few folks of the EME unit for Cobras were often kept at Peshawar...maybe they shifted them to Tarbela.

I think PA, PN as well as PAF should give their helicopter requirements to PAC and see that will PAC do JV with China on some Rotarty Aircrafts

1012671_620690374609786_978346830_n.jpg

that my friends is an MI-8

No my friend.

The simplest way to distinguish b/w a Mi-17 and Mi-8 is the tail rotor. Mi-17 has tail rotor on left hand side from a pilot's perspective (as seen here) while a Mi-8 has it on the right hand side.

The other way is to look at the engine intakes, but here they are covered by the filters.

Due to filters, engine produce less noise?

An air filter can decrease or increase noise depending on how much air is pulled in and how that air is funneled, but regardless I Doubt that there would be any noticeable difference since rotor blades noise would negate most everything.

One of the most effective ways to reduce a helicopters noise is by designing the rotors to be quieter, or using a coaxial.

Hey @Oscar why doesn't the PAF or the Army enter into joint-ventures with different foreign & local companies to at least increase the manufacturing of some of the more basic (or supporting) equipment that our Armed Forces would need ? Perhaps some of the on-board sensors for the Cobras or an indigenous avionics suite for the K-8s - Something more in the realm of 'automation' & 'technology' as opposed to concentrating solely, for the time being, on the relatively crude developments like MBTs or APCs etc. Which is not to belittle how much technical know-how it takes & I'm sure my utter lack of eloquence can't really get across what I mean but what I was thinking was developing some of the supporting industry to, maybe, in 10-15 years time come up with our own GENESIS type system or ECM suite for some of our low-end platforms....maybe even an indigenous capability to do a ROSE I & II styled upgrades on helicopters we could acquire the way we did with the Mirages ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom