What's new

Pakistan Air Force Transport

CN-295s are not even close to the capability of Hercules. We need more Herc's for strategic lift capabilities such as moving military air cargo, SAR missions, PAC requires a herc round the clock for JF-17 sustainment and supply chain needs.

CN-295 is a good asset for troop movement (not many though), passenger flights and small scale deployment of assets.

C-130J/A400 is what we need. C-130H is what we will get soon Inshallah.

One thing people forget is that thanks for CPEC Pak motorway and rail system improved a lot recently. For heavy transport duties we have an excellent network, also Pak has minimum commitments globally (supporting international military exercises where required, disaster relief and maybe supporting troops in Saudi, but even here RSAF helps). Need for mass transport fleet is just not there. 16-20 C-130s find. I would argue we need more CN-235s. These can act as MEDVAC, Paradrop, personnel transport, PAF Base support and much cheaper to maintain.

One thing people forget is that thanks for CPEC Pak motorway and rail system improved a lot recently. For heavy transport duties we have an excellent network, also Pak has minimum commitments globally (supporting international military exercises where required, disaster relief and maybe supporting troops in Saudi, but even here RSAF helps). Need for mass transport fleet is just not there. 16-20 C-130s find. I would argue we need more CN-235s. These can act as MEDVAC, Paradrop, personnel transport, PAF Base support and much cheaper to maintain.

I expect you say that because you simply have no idea about the military cargo C-130s usually carry. And none of that is fit for transport on a 22 wheeler on these fancy motorways you talked about. Ever saw a bunch of AMRAAMs on a 22 wheeler? Or do you expect delivery of JF-17's front fuselage via these roads?

Even in war time, there are many assets of Army (such as attack heli's, tanks) which have to be mobilized by air since there is never enough time. And you will never find tanks or heli's stuffed inside a CN-235.

I wouldn't want to push this topic further because i fear to spill (or someone else spilling) PAF's logistical shortfalls which can become an asset for the enemy.

But know this, we have additional 8 C-130's in our design for the future. And for a very good reason.

Im all for more Hercs if PAF can get them. One of the great strategic advantages of US is the ability to mobilize large volumes of troops and cargo/equipment quickly. The air transport like C-17 and C-130 are at the heart of it. That being said, if they cant get more Hercs or they are too expensive, they could also consider the Y-9 which is roughly on par with the C-130.

I expect you say that because you simply have no idea about the military cargo C-130s usually carry. And none of that is fit for transport on a 22 wheeler on these fancy motorways you talked about. Ever saw a bunch of AMRAAMs on a 22 wheeler? Or do you expect delivery of JF-17's front fuselage via these roads?

Even in war time, there are many assets of Army (such as attack heli's, tanks) which have to be mobilized by air since there is never enough time. And you will never find tanks or heli's stuffed inside a CN-235.

I wouldn't want to push this topic further because i fear to spill (or someone else spilling) PAF's logistical shortfalls which can become an asset for the enemy.

But know this, we have additional 8 C-130's in our design for the future. And for a very good reason.
When those additional C-130s will come to fruition though is the question. The argument for more CN-295 class aircraft is to fill a gap where we are stretching the C-130 fleet thin due to heavy use. It is better to utilize other assets for certain duties, such as paradrops, medevac supplies or logistics that can fit within the smaller airframe. For the Thunder fuselages even the C-130 won't fit the bill but that's where the Il-78s come into play.
Basically if C-130 is the F-16 of transport aircraft, we need a JF-17 to compliment it, hence the CN-295 suggestion.
Ideally a used C-130 will remain the cheapest option, but at some point we will need to invest in new aircraft as most countries fly their C-130s for decades. All options for medium sized will be expensive but that's the price we will have to pay

Is LM (or its agent) promoting the LM-100J? There's apparently a government/military version of it, basically serving as a baseline new military Herc (without a lot of the stuff in the C-130J).

I think we discussed earlier about Belgiums C130 up for sale we can have them H version

Last time paf got 6 c-130 after refurbished for $75M and it was not sure but paid by ?!

Where u going to find such offer even simple chines one will be more costlier

C-235 from Indonesia costed 54M for 4 of course new planes

Recently all wing boxes were being replaced on older c-130s at paf

https://www.planecheck.com/index.asp?ent=da&id=14314&cor=y

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/list/manufacturer/lockheed

https://www.globalplanesearch.com/lockheed/hercules.htm

State dept approval will be required and mostly likely when Middle Eastern country replace their older with J model than perhaps

Last edited:
So PAF has 18 C-130 and 4 CN-235. Frankly that is woefully undersized transport fleet for a military the size of Pakistan's. It needs to be at least double that size. Additionally PAA operates 48 Mi-17 and 45 Aerospatiale Pumas for medium lift. These numbers need to be augmented with some heavy lift choppers and more medium lift choppers.

For the aircraft, getting used Hercs would be the cheapest just getting them refurbished but im not sure how many or where they are on the market. That being said to look at a comprable force size, Turkey operates 19 Hercs, 59 CN-235 and 20 C-160s. So to that end, getting more Hercs and CN-235 or Y-8/Y-9 would be very beneficial for PAF/PA/PN. This can be especially true given how the reaction time of the military in Feb was quite poor. These were tiny skirmishes. In times of war, PAF and PA will rely significantly on the ability to deploy and redeploy. Fast movements will be key.

So PAF has 18 C-130 and 4 CN-235. Frankly that is woefully undersized transport fleet for a military the size of Pakistan's. It needs to be at least double that size. Additionally PAA operates 48 Mi-17 and 45 Aerospatiale Pumas for medium lift. These numbers need to be augmented with some heavy lift choppers and more medium lift choppers.

For the aircraft, getting used Hercs would be the cheapest just getting them refurbished but im not sure how many or where they are on the market. That being said to look at a comprable force size, Turkey operates 19 Hercs, 59 CN-235 and 20 C-160s. So to that end, getting more Hercs and CN-235 or Y-8/Y-9 would be very beneficial for PAF/PA/PN. This can be especially true given how the reaction time of the military in Feb was quite poor. These were tiny skirmishes. In times of war, PAF and PA will rely significantly on the ability to deploy and redeploy. Fast movements will be key.
Now compare that to the transport aircraft and Helo fleet of Indian military, ours is woefully inadequate

Back
Top Bottom