What's new

Pakistan Air Force | News & Discussions.

PAFPasni.jpg
notice the extension of runway and new dispersals on the left of the picture.

U-2s were replaced by Global Hawks, unless i am missing something.

pic is from 2008.

Heard in some topics that F-15s will be in PAF inventory. For this I think its 100% impossible rather what is possible is 50 AC-130s along with some used Block-15s can easily come.

thanks for information sharing I found this valuable, effort appreciated (Y)

Heard in some topics that F-15s will be in PAF inventory. For this I think its 100% impossible rather what is possible is 50 AC-130s along with some used Block-15s can easily come.

i have my doubts

Pakistani Fighter Likely To Have Long Service Life Despite Crash

Oct. 2, 2014 - 05:44PM | By USMAN ANSARI |

338d4deba96c9b8e56f05f9de6eb8a8a._.jpg

A Pakistani F-7 aircraft conducts a training mission during a multinational exercise in Southwest Asia. Although an F-7PG recently crashed, the aircraft is expected to remain in service for a long period. (SSgt. Michael B. Keller/AFCENT Combat Camera Team)

ISLAMABAD — Analysts say the crash of a Pakistani fighter jet Wednesday outside the city of Quetta will not affect the likely service life of the aircraft type, although it may be relegated to the role of lead-in fighter trainer.
Air Force spokesman Air Commodore Tariq Mehmood said the aircraft was on an “operational training mission” when it came down due to a “fault,” but that the pilot had safely ejected.
The accident is being investigated.

He did not confirm the type of aircraft in question when asked by Defense News, but Samungli Air Base in Quetta is home to two Chengdu F-7PG squadrons, No. 17 Tigers and No. 23 Talons. The aircraft has since been identified as belonging to No. 23 Squadron.

A third F-7PG squadron, No. 20 Eagles, is stationed at Rafiqui Air Base in Punjab province.

Analyst and retired Air Commodore Kaiser Tufail, who was one of two pilots that tested the baseline J-7MG in China before it was selected in modified form for Pakistani service, says the loss can be absorbed.

“We have lost PGs before, so this is not the first one. It falls within the acceptable category, and the loss isn’t as bad as it would have been were it an F-16 or a JF-17. And the pilot is safe, which is no small mercy,” he said.

The F-7PG is a Pakistan-specific variant of what was ultimately a Chinese version of the venerable MiG-21 Fishbed. Pakistan also operated a larger number of an earlier F-7P variant.

Despite the vintage of the basic F-7 design, analyst Usman Shabbir of the Pakistan Military Consortium think tank says “the F-7s actually have a very acceptable crash rate. I can’t recall the exact attrition rate but I am pretty sure it is low.”

The F-7Ps are now considered obsolete, however, and are being replaced by F-16s and JF-17s as a priority.
The F-7PG, with its distinctive double-delta wing, is considered a potent dogfighter and having served just over a decade has plenty of service life remaining.

Whether it can remain a frontline fighter is uncertain. It is only armed with visual-range AIM-9L sidewinder missiles and a 30mm cannon, unlike the Indian MiG-21 Bison upgrade of the Fishbed, which can be armed with beyond-visual-range air-to-air missiles.

But with nearly 60 F-7PGs and twin-seat FT-7PGs acquired, and with considerable investment made in spares, support and infrastructure, Pakistan cannot easily cast them aside.

Tufail says “So far there is no indication of a failure that could lead to a review of the F-7PG inventory.” They still have some worth as a “cheap operational fighter,” he said.

He has previously suggested the F-7PG could be used in lead-in fighter trainer (LIFT) role as more advanced F-16s and JF-17s were acquired.

“The F-7PG is an ideal LIFT aircraft. It is simple, viceless and cheap. I think it will easily go beyond 2020, and is likely to complete at least two decades of service [2024], if not more,” he said.

Author, analyst, and former Australian defense attache to Pakistan, Brian Cloughley, says the F-7PGs may already be serving in such a training role but would not survive in the South Asian air environment.

“They are not just second-line, they’re third line. Very good aircraft in their day, but their day is long gone,” he said. ■
Email: uansari@defensenews.com.

To my knowledge this would be the 5th F-7PG/FT-7PG crash since induction to service in 2001'02.
So ... 5 crashes in 13 years including 2 lost in mid air collision on 10th dec'02.

It is not like they are falling like birds?

Also these have very decent maneuverability and radar and can prove lethal as interceptors in the hands of the right pilot who can take advantage of its decent instantaneous turn rate along with excellent pitch authority at high AOA at speeds below 100kts.

I really don't think they should be bandied with the F-7P, when the type is criticized.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
PIXECT-20141005114129.jpg
PIXECT-20141005114104.jpg
PIXECT-20141005114104.jpg PIXECT-20141005114129.jpg

Back
Top Bottom