What's new

Pakistan Air Force | News & Discussions.

Why now specially when the JFT B is available. Can the pilots not train on it?
A

Already posted by Fatman17 and rebutted by Windjammer. Apparently we completed 100k hrs on 16s much earlier.
A
More likely for CAS / COIN role.

Aren't Yak 130 better then these and what will happen to those k 8's?
K8s will continue with their training role as it's potential for CAS was limited, and the L15 is a good option. YAK130 could be a option but not sure if the Russian s would sell at this stage in our relationship.

Wrong information, PAF in fact achieved this milestone over a decade earlier.

F-16 Fighting Falcon News
Pakistani F-16s reach 100,000 accident free flight hours

October 4, 2005 (by Asif Shamim) -
A three-member delegation of Pratt & Whitney called on Air Chief Marshal Kaleem Saadat, Chief of the Air Staff Pakistan Air Force at Air Headquarters to present a plaque to the Chief of the Air Staff in recognition of flying the F-16, for over 100,000 accident-free flight hours.

Lloyd W. "Fig" Newton, executive vice president, presented a plaque to the Chief of the Air Staff in recognition of flying the F-16, for over 100,000 accident-free flight hours.

They also commended the maintenance, quality control and flight safety standards of the PAF, which made this achievement possible.

Retired Gen. Lloyd Newton, along with Gen. (R) William J Begert, Vice President and Warren Boley, Vice President, remained with Air Chief Marshal Kaleem Sadaat, Chief of Air Staff for some time and discussed matters pertaining to mutual and professional interest.

http://www.f-16.net/f-16-news-article1468.html

I was thinking about that but just wasn't sure

I agree with you, JH-7 will be very useful for PAF and the benefit to cost ratio is very favorable as well. But despite it's extensive use for maritime don't know why China hasn't revealed any new variants or developments. I do remember when FBC-1 was trialed by PAF their complaint was it was under powered and availability was a problem because back then production rate was low, 6 per year. It was also pitched to Iran but don't know their reasons. Since then they came out with the improved JH-7A but we didnt get any PAF updates after that.

Got a new update from a Chinese source on the J-31, there was lack of new developments on this platform suggesting it was put on the back burner as confusion on intended customers but got the reason. The third prototype will be larger and it's being delayed because of engine availability. They are waiting for the WS-13E/RD-93MA to be available which would happen somewhere in 2019. So this project is till in development and not being shelved.
any idea on rd 93ma specs and will it be license manufacturing or off the shelf
difference between rd 93 ma and ws 13 e

any idea on rd 93ma specs and will it be license manufacturing or off the shelf
difference between rd 93 ma and ws 13 e

From a Chinese source. Both engines are very similar if not identical, Russia and China assisting each other for the WS-13E and RD-93MA/RD-33MA with two way flow of expertise, Chinese have made some head ways or gotten access to technology the Russians lacked before. Engine stuff is not my expertise so didn't understood or can recall the components and the jargons. Its supposed to have a major improvement in extended service life and and interval between overhauls comparable with western equivalents. These engines will also have significant weight reductions from the previous versions.

According to google searches thrust should be between 93-100kn. Pakistan can directly buy from Russia or China. So far no official specs of JF-17 blk-3 out but speculations are for RD-93MA from Russia.

Chinese are also developing IR low observable saw tooth exhaust nozzles similar to the ones on the F-35. WS-13E will likely have this modification since it's going on the J-31.

Russia will use the RD-33MA on their latest Mig-35s, it's going to be amongst their most high end products so a intelligent guess that they should definitely incorporate the IR reduction technology.

5cbbb28a563bf51d0ed41a8b2801c07f.jpg

images

Last edited:
K8s will continue with their training role as it's potential for CAS was limited, and the L15 is a good option. YAK130 could be a option but not sure if the Russian s would sell at this stage in our relationship.
Maybe K8 takes place of T 37 in academy and 1 FCU gets and AJT sqn gets L 15 ?

Maybe K8 takes place of T 37 in academy and 1 FCU gets and AJT sqn gets L 15 ?
I cant help but feel that the PAF Top brass never went in for K8 wholeheartedly. Look at the number of years vs the number of units procured. It ppints to issues which have not been discussed. I wonder why?
Any ideas @ Oscar, @Bilal Khan (Quwa) or @TaimiKhan.
A

I cant help but feel that the PAF Top brass never went in for K8 wholeheartedly. Look at the number of years vs the number of units procured. It ppints to issues which have not been discussed. I wonder why?
A
Same here , I feel something is missing here but the thing which comes in my mind , why arent T 37 getting retirement ? K 8 was supposed to be its replacement , Wasnt that the case ?

More likely for CAS / COIN role.

Or maybe its a money making scheme that will help certain people have mansions in Europe and Swiss bank accounts. Or a "gift" from a retiring senior officer.

Any ideas @ Oscar, @Bilal Khan (Quwa) or @TaimiKhan.
A

Maybe no money to be made so no need for K-8. One needs the right equipment to get the right bribe.

Same here , I feel something is missing here but the thing which comes in my mind , why arent T 37 getting retirement ? K 8 was supposed to be its replacement , Wasnt that the case ?
Exactly the point, there are too many mixtures of platforms on the training side; 2 engine vs 1 engine. T-37s are long gone and serve no purpose; when K8 is there, why have 2 plus the headaches of spare parts on two fronts.

The news of L-15 is what I was talking about
@New World @Darth Vader @araz @wanglaokan
Frankly i see no reason for this purchase. Instead it would have been better spent getting a dedicate replacement for Mirage for deep strike. There is no rationale if we think of it given that there will be jf-17b for training purpose which can easily be used as well or worse case jl9 which has a lot of commonality with 7pgs. L15 have no track record behind them as well.
Anyway, just a very confusing story from a road map prespective.

Exactly the point, there are too many mixtures of platforms on the training side; 2 engine vs 1 engine. T-37s are long gone and serve no purpose; when K8 is there, why have 2 plus the headaches of spare parts on two fronts.

Frankly i see no reason for this purchase. Instead it would have been better spent getting a dedicate replacement for Mirage for deep strike. There is no rationale if we think of it given that there will be jf-17b for training purpose which can easily be used as well or worse case jl9 which has a lot of commonality with 7pgs. L15 have no track record behind them as well.
Anyway, just a very confusing story from a road map prespective.
To be frank Paf is hiding something from us .

Back
Top Bottom