What's new

Pakistan Air Force | News & Discussions.

#PakistanAirForce JF-17 Thunder to take part in the "#ShaheenVI" joint training exercises in China.

https://t.co/oFRAzr4XLO https://t.co/hoDkDg2a3d
IMG_20170909_182601.jpeg

Russian timelines are not dependable. Plus I feel that the geopolitically aggressive stance of Russian government would likely run counter to our interests sometime in not-too-distant future. We would do well to insulate ourselves by hedging proactively. Wooing Russia is good, but only where we can maintain choices and not be depending upon them for anything critical.

Its not as simple as that. The deal is with China, not Pakistan. In order to with-hold these planes, we have to get China on board. Chinese do not interfere in other countries' internal affairs and are not likely to with-hold the jets. When we said that jet was sanctions-free, this is what it meant. Moral stances have a price. I would willingly pay it, but I am not sure about others. Burmese are murderers alright. But do Chinese agree? That is the question.

There is no comparison between Rd-93 which has flown 30k hours with paf plus 100000 more in form of Rd series
Chinese engine needs to show same quality plus 10000 hours of operations , wS-13 is for exports plus plaaf/plaan if they decide in future to replace some of j-7, a-5 and even f8

Paf has already invested too much in Rd with rebuild in country plus training both mi-171 and Rd 93 rebuild started last year or few year ago in country and paf is designated as oem certified facility

There is no comparison between Rd-93 which has flown 30k hours with paf plus 100000 more in form of Rd series
Chinese engine needs to show same quality plus 10000 hours of operations , wS-13 is for exports plus plaaf/plaan if they decide in future to replace some of j-7, a-5 and even f8

Paf has already invested too much in Rd with rebuild in country plus training both mi-171 and Rd 93 rebuild started last year or few year ago in country and paf is designated as oem certified facility

WOW. I missed that announcement! (If it was ever announced).

http://thediplomat.com/2015/11/pakistan-to-stick-with-russian-engine-for-jf-17-fighter-jet/
Old article reposted
“When we designed the JF-17 we evaluated a number of design alternatives and we determined that the RD-93 in this single-engine installation is absolutely right for this application,” another PAC representative said. “We worked extensively with the people from Klimov bureau in St Petersburg [Russia] and this engine turned out to be an ideal solution.”

Thank you for your posts. I think it is only inevitable that the Chinese engine technology matures with the amount of money and R&D they have poured into it. PAF on the other hand has decided at the moment to steer away from the Chinese Ws13 series and stay the course with the RD series. I remain unsure on those grounds of what the level of maturity of the Chinese engines is. Perhaps the forays made are in particular engines only and the technology has not trickled down into other projects. Or perhaps the mass priduction cycles are still not reliable. This is understandable as these things take time.
The next juncture in JFT history is the block 3. Do we change tack or stay the course? From PAF and Pak perspective that would be the litmus test of our faith in Chinese engines. Or perhaps the next purchase that we make.
A
Fortune favors the brave......

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom