What's new

Pakistan Air Force | News & Discussions.

Pakistan Air Force

Alongside these procurement efforts, another international alliance sees Turkey's Tusas Aerospace Industries undertaking a mid-life upgrade of 42 F-16 aircraft which will result in the Block 15 aircraft being upgraded to Block 40 standard.

JDW

Isn't the 42 older F-16s being upgraded to block 50 standards?

Actually the number 42 is close to correct because it includes the original PAF F-16s and those received via EDA.

why we are getting caught up in the 'what block' the a/c is - block numbering only donates the type of engine and the types of weapons employed.

do we know that the 8 PAF pilots trained on blk-25's for operating blk-52's!!!

the 'base' a/c is the same except for PP and weapons employed.

blk 40 can probably do everything a blk 52 can do except employ the HARM AGM.

why we are getting caught up in the 'what block' the a/c is - block numbering only donates the type of engine and the types of weapons employed.

do we know that the 8 PAF pilots trained on blk-25's for operating blk-52's!!!

the 'base' a/c is the same except for PP and weapons employed.

blk 40 can probably do everything a blk 52 can do except employ the HARM AGM.

I'd disagree, Minor changes in internal wiring, plumbing in 52-plus( for the CFT's) is, block 40's also contain the wide angle HUD optimized for night strike with NVG's which has been discontinued in the CJ series. The Block 40 can also employ the HARM AGM however is unable to use the Harm targeting system. and so must fire using target cueing from other supporting aircraft.
The base aircraft however is the same if the layout of the cockpit is in question. However, considering the changes that will be brought around by an MLU of the existing F-16 A/B's their cockpit will also look exactly like a C/D.

F-16 C/D block 30 cockpit( fairly similar)
th_f16c_b30.jpg

F-16 C/D block 40 cockpit
th_f16c_b40.jpg

F-16 C/D block 50/52
th_f16c_b50.jpg

F-16 A/B MLU
th_f16a_mlu.jpg

Eventually the layout of all F-16's will be the same, so eventually some of the A/B squadron pilots will have to go conversion at home on the Shahbaz F-16's or at a friendly country with MLU jets.

I'd disagree, Minor changes in internal wiring, plumbing in 52-plus( for the CFT's) is, block 40's also contain the wide angle HUD optimized for night strike with NVG's which has been discontinued in the CJ series. The Block 40 can also employ the HARM AGM however is unable to use the Harm targeting system. and so must fire using target cueing from other supporting aircraft.
The base aircraft however is the same if the layout of the cockpit is in question. However, considering the changes that will be brought around by an MLU of the existing F-16 A/B's their cockpit will also look exactly like a C/D.

F-16 C/D block 30 cockpit( fairly similar)
th_f16c_b30.jpg

F-16 C/D block 40 cockpit
th_f16c_b40.jpg

F-16 C/D block 50/52
th_f16c_b50.jpg

F-16 A/B MLU
th_f16a_mlu.jpg

Eventually the layout of all F-16's will be the same, so eventually some of the A/B squadron pilots will have to go conversion at home on the Shahbaz F-16's or at a friendly country with MLU jets.

i was quoting a USAF Instructor pilot who is training the PAF pilots and referring to the 'flying capabilities' of the two types!!! - in other words if u can fly / operate the 25 and 40 then u can fly / operate the 52!!!

do u think pilots really care what type of 'plumbing' his a/c has - leave that for the ground crew!!!

PM me your e-mail address and i will send you the pdf file of the reference article - if u want to that is.:coffee:

i was quoting a USAF Instructor pilot who is training the PAF pilots and referring to the 'flying capabilities' of the two types!!! - in other words if u can fly / operate the 25 and 40 then u can fly / operate the 52!!!

do u think pilots really care what type of 'plumbing' his a/c has - leave that for the ground crew!!!

PM me your e-mail address and i will send you the pdf file of the reference article - if u want to that is.:coffee:

Know exactly what you are talking about, But cockpit orientation will still matter. In any case though; the cockpit and flight systems on the 25 are closer to the block 52 compared to the A/B models.
And I was unaware you meant ONLY the pilots. And uh, flying capabilities do differ slightly, depending on the engine and airframe weight. Block 30's are slightly better at acceleration then 52's. But then its all academic. You were referring to pilot orientation and that is fulfilled by the training.

A two-seat light trainer aircraft, the Pilatus PC-7 turbo was built by Pilatus Aircraft Ltd in Switzerland. The PC-7 can perform various functions including aerobatics and tactical and night flying. The PC-7 can accommodate a crew of two members (a student and trainer) and has six underwing hardpoints.

The PC-7 has been selected by 20 air forces to train military pilots. The aircraft is fully operational in civil and military pilot training bases across the world. It is equipped with a single Pratt and Whitney PT6A-25A turboprop engine. The first series of PC-7 aircraft was delivered to Myanmar Air Force in 1979.

The PC-7 received Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and Federal Office of Civil Aviation (FOCA) certifications to support European and US regulations.

Orders and deliveries

About 450 PC-7 aircraft have been sold to 21 countries. Mexico procured 88 PC-7s, deliveries of which began in 1980. About 52 PC-7s were bought by Iraq and deliveries began in 1980. The Iraqi PC-7 fleet was completely eliminated during the US invasion in 2003. Malaysia acquired 44 PC-7s, deliveries of which began in 1983.

Other Pilatus PC-7 customers include the Swiss Air Force (40), Angola (27), Austria (16), Bolivia (24), Bophuthatswana (three), Botswana (seven), Chile (ten), France (five), Guatemala (12), Iran (35), Myanmar (19), Netherlands (13), UAE / Abu Dhabi (31) and Uruguay (six).

Deliveries to Angola began in 1982 and those to the Swiss Air Force began in 1986. Deliveries to Austria, Bolivia, Bophuthatswana, Botswana, Chile, France, Guatemala, Iran, Myanmar, Netherlands, UAE / Abu Dhabi and Uruguay began in 1984, 1979, 1989, 1990, 1980, 1991, 1980, 1983, 1979, 1989, 1982 and 1992 respectively.

Development

The PC-7 was derived from the Pilatus P-3 training aircraft, which was launched in the early 1950s.

"The PC-7 can perform various functions including aerobatics and tactical and night flying."The modified P-3 prototype first flew on 12 April 1966. The PC-7 development programme was, however, held back when the prototype crashed due to forced landing.

In 1973 the programme resumed using a modified engine and the new aircraft was named PC-7. The PC-7 prototype completed its maiden flight on 12 May 1975. The PC-7 aircraft also features a new one-piece wing with integral fuel tanks, an altered tailfin and a bubble canopy. The first produced PC-7 made its maiden flight on 19 August 1978.

Variants

The PC-7 has two variants: PC-7 MkII and NCPC-7. The PC-7 MkII variant is also known as the Astra. South Africa's requirement for an advanced version of the PC-7 aircraft led to the development of PC-7MkII. The variant was derived from the PC-9 M aircraft, the M denoting the aircraft's modular features. The PC-9 M aircraft is powered by a Pratt and Whitney PT6A-62 turboprop engine that provides 863kW of output power.

The variant is equipped with advanced avionics and on-board oxygen generation system (OBOGS). The PC-7 MkII aircraft comprises only two underwing hardpoints, unlike the PC-7's six underwing hard points.

The first PC-7 MkII aircraft took its maiden flight in August 1994. The first delivery of the variant was made to the SAAF in November 1994. About 60 PC-7 MkII aircraft were delivered to SAAF by 1996.

The NCPC-7 was developed by upgrading the standard PC-7. New features included a glass cockpit, GPS, autopilot and a second VHF radio. The NCPC-7 was developed for the Swiss Air Force for training pilots. About 18 PC-7 aircraft were upgraded to NCPC-7 and a contract for upgrading ten more was signed in February 2008.

Cockpit and avionics

The PC-7 MkII features a dual glass cockpit. It is equipped with primary flight display (PFD), secondary flight display (SFD), an engine and secondary instruments display panel (ESDP), an audio radio management system (ARMS), very high frequency communication (VHF COM) 1, VHF COM 2, ultra high frequency communication UHF COM, VHF NAV 1, VHF NAV 2, distance measuring equipment (DME) and automatic direction finders (ADF).

A mode S transponder, global positioning system (GPS), radar altimeter, attitude heading reference system (AHRS), emergency locator beacon (ELT) and air data computer avionics are also installed in the PC-7 MkII cockpit.

Performance

The PC-7 can climb at a rate of 865m/min. The aircraft has a cruise speed of 415km/h and can fly at 460km/h. The range and service ceiling of the aircraft are 1,950km and 9,150m respectively. The maximum take-off weight is 2,700kg. The take-off and landing distances are 590m and 625m respectively, while the maximum g-load capacity is -3/+6.

Engine

"The PC-7 features a new one-piece wing with integral fuel tanks, an altered tailfin and a bubble canopy."The Pilatus PC-7 is powered by a single Pratt a Whitney PT6A-25A turboprop engine and a three-blade Hartzell HC-B3TN-2 propeller. It can generate 485kW of output power.

The PT6A-25A is a two-shaft engine with a multi-stage compressor driven by a single-stage compressor turbine. It has another independent shaft coupling the power turbine and propeller through an epicyclic concentric reduction gearbox. The PC-7 MkII is powered by a single 522.2kW Pratt and Whitney PT6A-25C turboprop engine, which offers a lower engine operating cost than the PC-7's engine.

The principal difference between the engines used in the PC-7 and the MkII variant is the output capacities. The NCPC-7 has a single Pratt and Whitney PT6A-25A turboprop engine, similar to the engine used in the standard PC-7 aircraft.

The highest number of hours on PC-7 is by an ex-PAF pilot, he has over 5,000 hours on it. Also the first 3 Hawks 100(same type as India, Canada, UAE) pilots to pass through 1,000 hours : 1 Canadian, and 2 Pakistanis, all from UAE Air Force on civilian contracts. And the Hawk 63s in Al Ain PAF guys have reached 2,000 hours or more.

Junes AFM is a good one it has an interview with ACM Suleman and some excellent pictures of PAF including the first ever air to air photo of JF17!

I have two things I wanted to find out more about.

First's the likelihood of the Chinese inducting the JF-17/FC-1 in the context of their having cleared the aircraft in "design appraisal", and then their conducting successful taxi trials of the aircraft using the WS-13 engine recently. Why would the Chinese be conducting these tests and spending time on the aircraft if they weren't seriously thinking about it.

One can imagine that a major concern for the Chinese would be that the aircraft have a native engine if they were to induct it. So anyone have any info on the Chinese inducting it, and what the status of the WS-13 project is?

And secondly I wanted to ask about JF-17's twin seat variant. Last I heard Pakistan had decided to foot the bill to develop the variant, any updates on that?

Thanks!

Design Appraisal: http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90001/90776/90786/6850260.html
Taxi Trials: http://china-defense.blogspot.com/2010/05/fc-1-equipped-with-ws-13-completed.html

Last edited:
July Issue of AFM

Bell 412EP Export Orders
Bell was awarded a $23.2 mill US Army contract on April 23 for two Bell 412EP destined for the Pakistan Army. This is in addition to the two examples delivered to the Pakistan Army on May 18.

Pakistan Army King Air Arrives in UK for Upgrade
VIP configured Pakistan Army/13 Sqdn King Air 200 927 (c/n 88-927) arrived in the UK at Cranfield Airfield, Bedfordshire, on May 7 for installation of a glass cockpit and an engine overhaul by IAE.

All Four Pakistan AF Phenoms Now in Service
ALL FOUR of the Embraer EMB-500 Phenom 100 executive jets that were ordered by the Pakistan AF (PAF) are now in full operational service. The aircraft are all flown by 41 Sqdn, based at PAF Base Chaklala, Islamabad, for various roles, including VIP transport, liaison and communications.

Serial........c/n..........previous id..........delivery date..........
V-4101....5000017..PT-ZYE...............April 14, 2009.......
V-4102....5000014..PT-ZYB..............June 22, 2009.......
V-4103....5000047..PT-TFW.............September 26, 2009
V-4104....5000113..PT-TIR...............December 29,2009

hi im a little rare in posts but a keen visitor....

seniors i need some scans from the november, 2008 issue of airforces monthly, i.e. black panthers fantans at night article.....kindly post the scans if anyone has...
thanks

hi im a little rare in posts but a keen visitor....

seniors i need some scans from the november, 2008 issue of airforces monthly, i.e. black panthers fantans at night article.....kindly post the scans if anyone has...
thanks

send me your e-mail address and i will send u the pdf file!:cheers:

Back
Top Bottom