Pak seeks DMRC MD’s advice on Metro

Flintlock

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Pak seeks DMRC MD’s advice on Metro
Vibha Sharma
Tribune News Service

New Delhi, March 16
Faced with similar problems of rising population, absence of a proper public transport system and ever rising number of vehicles, Pakistan has taken a cue from Delhi and is now planning to build a mass transit rail system (MRTS) in Lahore and Karachi on the lines of the Delhi Metro.

The success of the Delhi Metro in effectively dealing with noise pollution and traffic bottlenecks in the Capital also prompted the Pakistan Government to seek the advise of DMRC Managing Director E. Sreedharan in de-congesting its two major cities.

DMRC officials say that following an invitation from Pakistan to advise it on its plans to build a MRTS in Lahore, Sreedharan visited Pakistan on March 5 and gave a presentation on the viability of the MRTS in cities with over 1 million population.

The invite came from Chairman Planning and Development of Pakistan’s Punjab Suleman Ghani and during his four-day visit to Lahore, Sreedharan held discussions on existing plans on building the MRTS for the city. He also took part in meetings with local officials and visited the sites earmarked for the transit system. Delegations from Pakistan have also been visiting the Delhi Metro to understand its working.

Though the planning for a Metro in Lahore is still quite in initial stages, officials say that considering the similarities between the cities of India and Pakistan, the latter will most likely also approach the DMRC to provide expertise and consultancy for the project. An MRTS had also been planned in Karachi to meet increasing rush of the urban transportation there, the official said, adding that depending on success of the mass transit system in Lahore and Karachi, Pakistan also plans to set up similar systems in other cities of the country.

Excellent news but politicians in Pakistan have the habit of talking about it planning it announcing it take pictures at the site and fall a sleep.:pakistan:

This is the kind of positive thinking that will bring both countries close together.

India and Pakistan can both learn from each other's expertise, and help improve the lives on either side of the border.

This is the kind of positive thinking that will bring both countries close together.

India and Pakistan can both learn from each other's expertise, and help improve the lives on either side of the border.

I agree SA! Cooperate in areas that are mutually beneficial to both, and carry on talking about the contentious issues on the side. Indian experience in dealing with mass transit issues in Mumbai and ND would be valuable for a city like Karachi at least.

I wish the GoP had started looking at this 20 years ago...but as always, we react a few years too later...although now is better than never.

What's ur point???????

What u wanna say???

Metro is not happening in pakistan for next 5-7 for sure that we all know that, why post this single image link?

and zakir bhai is prophising that?, dude this is not fortune teller forum, go else where :lol:

[:::~Spartacus~:::];3178104 said:
and zakir bhai is prophising that?, dude this is not fortune teller forum, go else where :lol:

Its not fortune telling its called engineering knowledge and common sense.

Let me explain:

1. It takes 6 month to a year in preparing project fesibility report and inititial project report.

2. Then it takes 1 year in preparing DPR (detailed project report)

3. Then it will take 1 year in govt. approvals, environment clearance, land acquisitions and financial closure.

4. Finally it takes another 5-6 years to build a Metro line.

I am saying this because I have seen this all from my eyes and my city have Metro for last 10 years.

And we are adding another 150 kms to our existing Delhi Metro network.

Just do the maths don't blame me.

Man Delhi metro Rocks...Hope Pakistan also get it soon..most effective way of travelling around in the major city..beats the woe of traffic and congestion..:enjoy:

Its not fortune telling its called engineering knowledge and common sense.

Let me explain:

1. It takes 6 month to a year in preparing project fesibility report and inititial project report.

2. Then it takes 1 year in preparing DPR (detailed project report)

3. Then it will take 1 year in govt. approvals, environment clearance, land acquisitions and financial closure.

4. Finally it takes another 5-6 years to build a Metro line.

I am saying this because I have seen this all from my eyes and my city have Metro for last 10 years.

And we are adding another 150 kms to our existing Delhi Metro network.

Just do the maths don't blame me.
All that info is right dude, but you needn't have taken such a harsh tone, when you know that differences and spats can arise so easily on any thread very easily..............
Explaining it a bit gently and optimistically wouldn't hurt anybody you know..........:)

All that info is right dude, but you needn't have taken such a harsh tone, when you know that differences and spats can arise so easily on any thread very easily..............
Explaining it a bit gently and optimistically wouldn't hurt anybody you know..........:)

Dosnt matter what his reports say. metro launching in Lahore hopefully by August 14th this year.

What?? I should definitely fire some of my friends from Lahore..

thats your and your lahoris liars problem

331278d1271486553tmumba.jpg

Mumbai Metro Updates - SkyscraperCity

Back
Top Bottom