What's new

PAF JF-17 in Farnborough Air Show 2010

4817334243_ecc2490285_b_d.jpg

the-nation-newspaper.jpg

JF-17 Thunder’s debut at Farnborough
By S.m. Hali | Published: July 21, 2010

The pride of Pakistan Air Force (PAF), the JF-17 Thunder multi-role fighter aircraft co-produced with China, has made its debut at the Farnborough International Airshow (FIA), one of the world’s most prestigious aviation global events.
PAF has opted to showcase this amazing modern fighting machine at the FIA, which holds a prominent position within the aerospace calendar in mid July once every two years. The Farnborough International Airshow has its origins in the annual Royal Air Force (RAF) Airshow at Hendon (1920 - 1937) and was established by the Society of British Aircraft Constructors (SBAC), which was founded in 1916. Initially, the SBAC held a small exhibition at Hendon on June 27, 1932, for the British aircraft industry at which 35 aircrafts were exhibited by 16 companies. But later the show recommenced at Radlett in 1946 due to World War II. The show was held there till 1948, until it was moved to Farnborough home of the Royal Aircraft Establishment in Hampshire, approximately 30 miles southwest of central London.
Anyway, the air show organised by Farnborough International Limited is an important event for the aerospace industry because of the announcement of new developments and orders. Demonstration flights and a flying display are held each day of the show. On the last two days, the general public is admitted and some non-commercial items are added to the static and flying displays. Since 1996, the show has its own official radio station operated by the staff and students of the Farnborough College of Technology. The previous air show, FIA 2008, was a record-breaking year for business with $88.7 billion worth of orders announced during the show. This event also featured 165 aircrafts in static displays and spectacular flying displays and the public weekend attracted a staggering 153,000 visitors.
This year FIA commenced on July 19 and will conclude on July 25, 2010, which is expected to be the most exciting to date. With its existing exhibition halls, flying displays and UAV pavilion, FIA 2010 will evolve its business theme to include a number of new networking initiatives such as a conference and seminar programme titled Meet Your Buyer and a day dedicated to International Futures for Youth. Additionally, FIA 2010 will feature a dedicated ‘Space Zone’ and enhanced UAV presence.
The two JF-17 Thunder fighter aircraft, produced at Pakistan Aeronautical Complex Kamra, a co-production with China, are already evoking international interest. Reportedly, Turkey, Zimbabwe, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh and a number of Middle Eastern and African air forces have expressed their interest in the acquisition of JF-17 Thunder for their respective air forces. The recently concluded PAF exercise Highmark and Army Exercise, Azm-e-Nau III, saw the JF-17 Thunder in action, displaying its multi-role characteristics with precision and accuracy at firepower displays much to the awe of the audience comprising foreign defence attachés, defence personnel, media and parliamentarians.

Well, it seems my guess was spot on as the jamming pod is KG-300 G but appears to be an improved version. Good development

Something is bothering me, a few days back Nabil while updating on JF-17 said that the radar on JF-17 is the KLJ-10 and not 7 where as this article says its KLJ-7. Also the integration of SD-10 is going on which will be completed by the year end and not already done as stated before by few members. So if we go by this JF-17 as of yet is not a BVR equipped jet. Can anyone clarify these ever sticking contradicting reports?

The officials will tell you what they have on the plane at the moment.I could be totally wrong, but if we have KLJ7 on board why should one say that we have KLJ10 planned as there is not need.Secondly we have already heard that these planes are slated for A2G role and as such BVRs are not our priority. When the true multi role fighter comes along we will have SD10 and other necessary goodies on it .
Nabil,s assertion was that the issues related to compatibility of KLJ7 with SD10 has been resolved.There may be more work on the subject that needs to be done or we may take it that if KLJ10 replaces KLJ7 integration becomes a formality.
i hope you understand where I am coming from.We are not under any pressure to have BVR on our planes NOW, so lets do things in the order of our priorities.
Regards
Araz

The officials will tell you what they have on the plane at the moment.I could be totally wrong, but if we have KLJ7 on board why should one say that we have KLJ10 planned as there is not need.Secondly we have already heard that these planes are slated for A2G role and as such BVRs are not our priority.

i hope you understand where I am coming from.We are not under any pressure to have BVR on our planes NOW, so lets do things in the order of our priorities.
Regards
Araz

So the news is right that JF-17 is still not BVR capable. No wonder they don't have any video for BVR firing. It clear ups many doubts. I saw in other thrad someone even quoted SRK in maya memsaab movie to prove that JF-17 already having a BVR. lolz

I have visited Farnborough airshow this week and for anyone interested there are a few photos of the JF-17's on display there if you would like to take a look at my website. They are very nice to see in the UK, unfortunately the Chinese 'delegate' at the static display is not too co-operative in letting people look around them at close quarters. There were several pices of weaponary on view with the two aircraft and it is a shame that they did not fly during the airshow

So the news is right that JF-17 is still not BVR capable. No wonder they don't have any video for BVR firing. It clear ups many doubts. I saw in other thrad someone even quoted SRK in maya memsaab movie to prove that JF-17 already having a BVR. lolz

hey whatever makes u happy eh!!!

Something is bothering me, a few days back Nabil while updating on JF-17 said that the radar on JF-17 is the KLJ-10 and not 7 where as this article says its KLJ-7. Also the integration of SD-10 is going on which will be completed by the year end and not already done as stated before by few members. So if we go by this JF-17 as of yet is not a BVR equipped jet. Can anyone clarify these ever sticking contradicting reports?

It was always KLJ-7. The confusion started because one of the articles mentioned KLJ-10. The current radar is KLJ-7.

What you read about the status of SD-10 is correct. Keep in mind that 2009-2010 is the period when initial weapons qualification happens on the aircraft. Aircraft is already qualified for unguided ordnance and WVR AAMs. BVR AAM will happen before the end of the year and I suspect PGMs and AShM qualifications will happen over the coming months.

The general assumption in the minds of many was that since KLJ-7 is compatible with SD-10, this capability would be available from the onset. This is still the case, however it still needs to be qualified by the PAF. SoPs on employment have to be developed and this takes time. I suspect the SMS software has to have some changes even though the wiring to the hardpoints is already in place.

The officials will tell you what they have on the plane at the moment.I could be totally wrong, but if we have KLJ7 on board why should one say that we have KLJ10 planned as there is not need.Secondly we have already heard that these planes are slated for A2G role and as such BVRs are not our priority. When the true multi role fighter comes along we will have SD10 and other necessary goodies on it .
Nabil,s assertion was that the issues related to compatibility of KLJ7 with SD10 has been resolved.There may be more work on the subject that needs to be done or we may take it that if KLJ10 replaces KLJ7 integration becomes a formality.
Regards
Araz

thats a mis-leading statement - the a/c is BVR capable, but the current config for JFT is CAS. 26 and 16 sqdn are dedicated close-support sqdns. as more a/c are inducted in sqdns who are slated for dedicated AD roles, u will find JFT fitted with the BVR missile.

look guys there is not point discussing BR!! its a horrible racist site....i visit it quiet alot just to see the twisted brains they got there!!! however, having said that when a dog barks at you you don't turn around & bark back!! Lets not undermine this FOURM & THREAD BY DISCUSSING BR!! i know a few people on this forum who are members there & trust me 2 faced is a small word to say the least!

I concur! I could care less about what goes on at that bigotfest, but there are quite a few of the very same bigots running around here mouthing off and preaching to Pakistanis the need for tolerance and what not. :rolleyes:

thats a mis-leading statement - the a/c is BVR capable, but the current config for JFT is CAS. 26 and 16 sqdn are dedicated close-support sqdns. as more a/c are inducted in sqdns who are slated for dedicated AD roles, u will find JFT fitted with the BVR missile.

I believe the case is that all JF-17s will be BVR capable. However the BVR has to be qualified for employment on the JF-17 by the PAF. 26 sqn will be a multi-role sqn eventhough it was a TA sqn owing to its older steed (A-5). It makes no sense for PAF to induct an MR platform and then limit it to only specific roles.

In times of war, all PAF sqns are expected to play a part in air defence. Not having a BVR on the JF-17s of some sqns, at least in my opinion, would be a handicap.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom