What's new

PAF JF-17 in Farnborough Air Show 2010

I believe the case is that all JF-17s will be BVR capable. However the BVR has to be qualified for employment on the JF-17 by the PAF. 26 sqn will be a multi-role sqn eventhough it was a CAS sqn owing to its older steed (A-5). It makes no sense for PAF to induct an MR platform and then limit it to only specific roles.

In times of war, all PAF sqns are expected to play a part in air defence. Not having a BVR on the JF-17s of some sqns, at least in my opinion, would be a handicap.

i understand completely - i was trying to clarify 'indirectly' to a indian poster who believes that JFT is not BVR capable.

all CAS sqdns carry a2a missiles.

main ne poory thread miss ker di tum logo ki waga yaar sadddddddddddd

33 pages need 3 days to read damn that time Farnborough people even forget there was a show

I will be at the show on Saturday
if anyone is planning to come on 24th then PM me so that we can exchange numbers & have some pictures in front of the JF-17 thunder

take care and see you there

As per my understanding, the interface issue was nothing more than a software glitch and it was resolved a little while ago. Now, the issue that CAS aircrafts are not equipped with BVRs does not make sense as JFT is designed as a multirole aircraft from the beginning. Yes, we have not seen it with BVR but then we have also not seen it with LGBs or have we? In terms of radar, whether it is KLJ-7 or 10, both are fully multimode pulse doppler radars that have emerged after stiff competition from Russian, Israeli and other Chinese domestic firms which include Wuxi (the makers of JL-10A radar of JH-7A). What i heard is that both radars have same amount of functions and very low sidelobe signals while active. KLJ-7 also has a marvelous anti jamming capability that has exceeded any radar in PAF which includes Grifo M series and has impressed PAF to such an extent that they are now seriously considering block 2 radar from NRIET as well. This development is a major factor why Pakistan wants another avionics package that consist both indigenous as well as Chinese components because the price/performance parameters they offer are un-matched by any other contender.

can anyone please post the pics of the airshow all pics not just the pic of JF 17 but of all fighter and non fighter aircraft so we can put them on our coputer wallpaper

I believe the case is that all JF-17s will be BVR capable. However the BVR has to be qualified for employment on the JF-17 by the PAF. 26 sqn will be a multi-role sqn eventhough it was a CAS sqn owing to its older steed (A-5). It makes no sense for PAF to induct an MR platform and then limit it to only specific roles.

In times of war, all PAF sqns are expected to play a part in air defence. Not having a BVR on the JF-17s of some sqns, at least in my opinion, would be a handicap.

Its seems PAF is for now inducting the first 50 for ground support role, but once a more capable radar is chosen, Chinese or Western with BVR missile complement, then these 2 initial Sqds would also be changed from just ground role to multi-role by changing the radars to more capable ones.

For now JF-17s need to get inducted, as we need to have a good lot of trained fighter pilots, so that once we start to get more capable versions, we don't lack pilots for them.

But by then, PAF will have these 50 for ground role, but once the SD-10 things is solved, which by latest reports has been integrated with even KLJ-7 radar, SD-10s can be used if need arises by these ground support JF-17s also.

As per my understanding, the interface issue was nothing more than a software glitch and it was resolved a little while ago. Now, the issue that CAS aircrafts are not equipped with BVRs does not make sense as JFT is designed as a multirole aircraft from the beginning. Yes, we have not seen it with BVR but then we have also not seen it with LGBs or have we? In terms of radar, whether it is KLJ-7 or 10, both are fully multimode pulse doppler radars that have emerged after stiff competition from Russian, Israeli and other Chinese domestic firms which include Wuxi (the makers of JL-10A radar of JH-7A). What i heard is that both radars have same amount of functions and very low sidelobe signals while active. KLJ-7 also has a marvelous anti jamming capability that has exceeded any radar in PAF which includes Grifo M series and has impressed PAF to such an extent that they are now seriously considering block 2 radar from NRIET as well. This development is a major factor why Pakistan wants another avionics package that consist both indigenous as well as Chinese components because the price/performance parameters they offer are un-matched by any other contender.

Exactly, Chinese radar industry has greatly benefited from the Russians as well Israelis & their own research work and Chinese have come up with pretty impressive thing and things for the JF-17 and their own latest new fighters.

The have tried to mix the best out of the west and from Russians, JF-17 has some pretty impressive radar specifications as well as functions and the Chinese are coming up with something more advanced also.

But PAF may keep Chinese and Western combo, as it will help it in having the best from both and for bench marking also between Chinese and Western products and not completely relying on just one.

Nabil is right, the Chinese radar went head to head with other radars including the Grifo series and impressed a lot, thus it was finally chosen.

thats a mis-leading statement - the a/c is BVR capable, but the current config for JFT is CAS. 26 and 16 sqdn are dedicated close-support sqdns. as more a/c are inducted in sqdns who are slated for dedicated AD roles, u will find JFT fitted with the BVR missile.

Sir Fatman
I stand corrected.
Thank you
Kindest regards
Araz

A squadron may change roles throughout its tenure, and has happened many a times in the PAF, so it is quite probable that 26 sq may be now known as 26(MR) squadron and the designation will change appropriately when the time comes.
Even Wikipedia has a good history on this.
No. 26 Squadron Black Spiders 1967 Jet Role
1967—1980 F-86 Sabre air Superiority
1980—1984 Shenyang F-6 Air superiority
1984—2010 A-5C Tactical Attack
2010— JF-17 Multirole

1745309.jpg

thats a mis-leading statement - the a/c is BVR capable, but the current config for JFT is CAS. 26 and 16 sqdn are dedicated close-support sqdns. as more a/c are inducted in sqdns who are slated for dedicated AD roles, u will find JFT fitted with the BVR missile.

I am writting to support Santro's reply. I have written about this over a year ago in reply to the same reasoning as above. ... ... The PAF will soon have 3 x multirole fighters, these being the JF-17, the F-16 and the F-20 (J-10). Therefore all squadrons will be multi-role. As technologies advances, certain roles get redifined, some disappear and other get created. ... ... Remember when large plane used to have Flight Engineers?

Back
Top Bottom