What's new

PAF Air Chief in Russia discusses joint exercises

If this is true. Then we might end up exercises with 3 biggest airforces of the world.

1 China(shaheen V)
2 America (Red flag)
3 Russia (This proposed exercise)

Not bad for a country that is "isolated" as per experts on this forum.

Many countries are wishing to be "isolated" like this...my burnol wishes with them!

Pak-Russia-01-692x360.png

Jul 24, 2016 by Bilal Khan
PAKISTAN’S AIR CHIEF VISITED RUSSIA IN BID TO STRENGTHEN TIES
Air Chief Marshal (ACM) Sohail Aman, the Chief of Air Staff (CAS) of the Pakistan Air Force (PAF), recently made anofficial visit to Russia on the invitation of Colonel General Viktor Bondarev, the Commander-in-Chief of the Voyenno-Vozdushnye Sily Rossii (VVS – i.e. Russian Air Force).

While in Moscow, ACM Aman met with Colonel General Bondarev and discussed a range of matters of mutual interest. Aman also met with top representatives of Russia’s aviation industry, and had sought to explore areas of collaboration between it and its Pakistani counterpart.

According to Pakistan’s Daily Times, the two sides “agreed to increase mutual cooperation in particular and boosting the aviation technology jointly.” ACM Aman also stressed the need for the PAF and VVS to engage in training and air exercise schemes in the near future.

Comment and Analysis

Russia and Pakistan have gradually been thawing their defence ties over the past several years. Granted, Russia’s longstanding – and lucrative – relationship with India has placed a dampener on expectations for big-ticket sales between Moscow and Islamabad (at least for the short-term), but this official visit by Air Chief Marshal (ACM) Sohail Aman (on an invitation from Russia) is a clear indication that tangible efforts are being made by both sides. Specific details were not given, but there are a number of ‘stand-out’ issues that are likely of interest for both sides.

At present, the Pakistan Air Force (PAF)’s core aims consist of improving the JF-17 Thunder, and in laying the groundwork for its next-generation fighter platform. In terms of the former, the PAF depends on the RD-93 turbofan, a minor derivative of the early model Klimov RD-33, an engine line that powers the MiG-29. Given the antiquated nature of the RD-93 (and the inefficiencies it causes in terms of maintenance and use), the PAF could potentially be pushing for a current version of the turbofan, such as the RD-33MK (which PAF officials noted as apossible RD-93 replacement in April).

The RD-33MK has a thrust output of 9.4 tons (92kN), full authority digital engine control (FADEC), and a lifespan of 4000 hours, which is substantially higher than the RD-93’s life of 1200 hours. The RD-33MK also has a time between overhaul (TBO) of 1000 hours, in contrast to the RD-93’s 600 hours. With the RD-33MK, the JF-17 will improve in terms of its maintenance and operational costs.

In terms of long-term prospects, the inclusion of the Russian aviation industry in assisting with the next-generation fighter in some shape or form would be interesting. While this idea is purely speculation, it is worth noting that RSK MiG (formerly known as Mikoyan) did assist in the development of the JF-17 (albeit through China). There is genuine expertise and support to be had from Russia, if not in direct relation to the fighter, then perhaps in terms of fighter development in general (e.g. capacity building in terms of infrastructure and skilled human capital).

The Pakistani government had claimed that it would consider Russian fighters in lieu of new-built F-16s from the U.S., it is unclear if this is something on the PAF’s roadmap, at least at this time. In fact, in late 2015 there were numerous reports of Pakistan expressing interest in the Sukhoi Su-35 (IHS Jane’s). Although India is working to source a larger proportion of its weapons from the West, its defence ties with Russia are still quite lucrative for Moscow. This is not something Russia will tamper with for the sake of a smaller set of sales with Pakistan, not unless India’s value in the equation drops substantially.

That said, it seems Moscow’s intentions, at least in the areas it feels are viable, are genuine. It is likely that work in areas such as helicopters (and setting up MRO facilities for them in Pakistan), armoured vehicles, general technology support and training programs will proceed. Big-ticket acquisitions, especially in areas that could pose a direct threat to India (e.g. fighter aircraft), are unlikely to happen, at least in the short or medium-term.
Source: http://quwa.org/2016/07/24/pakistans-air-chief-visited-russia-bid-strengthen-ties/

No Su-35 is coming. PAF wants to establish JF-17's engine servicing facilities in Pakistan, wants direct import from Russia and rights to export JF-17 to third countries with Russian engine. PAF may be looking for some SAM systems in short and medium range category. No S-300 or higher is coming. At max BUK systems.

If I allow my imagination to run very wild, then it may be Russian consultancy on future development projects of PAF. This could be for future versions of JFT, indigenous weapons or sensors and avionics. That's maximum a wild imagination could fetch.
I'm agree wd ur last paragraph ... jft engine will not Rd/93 or so but the upgraded or better engine for block 3
Block 3 will be gen 4++ so u can imagine which engine it could be ? Ma b su or much more stuff we may see in block 3 of Russian version

If Su-35s are expensive then Pakistan can go for Su-30SM/M2 which Russian air force uses and they should be cheaper then Su-35s. Russia will not have issue in selling those although they are willing to sell Su-35s too.
In my source pakistan offer russia of 6 su 35 in 550 million 6 mig 35 in 600 million it is india show if india buy america f 18 or f16 russia also give her su 35 and mig 35 not money problem herw

I'm agree wd ur last paragraph ... jft engine will not Rd/93 or so but the upgraded or better engine for block 3
Block 3 will be gen 4++ so u can imagine which engine it could be ? Ma b su or much more stuff we may see in block 3 of Russian version
yes you are right pakistan also seeing RD 33 but also watch

In my source pakistan offer russia of 6 su 35 in 550 million 6 mig 35 in 600 million it is india show if india buy america f 18 or f16 russia also give her su 35 and mig 35 not money problem herw

@waz still su-35 is in race.. and confirmed by his personal sources..

Are you saying India don't have influence in Russia? im amazed whenever you bring the word "strategic". lol..

@waz im facing some problem. unable to post different message after my first post... first post keep repeating regardless of what im typing..

Last edited:
W
Why .... just Why ....... ????
Windjammer has serious hatred for Russian birds

Would be an ideal replacement of older Mirages with more cap[abilities and also increase in strength, but as i said it's a rumour, lets wait and see.
Sir how many mirages we replace around 50 how many. Qatar offer 9

Isn't your airforce said JF 17 will replace all A 5 F 7 and mirages than why you people make U turns

Windjammer has serious hatred for Russian birds
Hate is the wrong word, firstly in their history, no Russian fighter has ever made a mark, current generations of Russian jets are massive in size, do you know even our JF-17 had repeatedly scored against the likes of SU-27.
Sir how many mirages we replace around 50 how many. Qatar offer 9

Isn't your airforce said JF 17 will replace all A 5 F 7 and mirages than why you people make U turns

The JF-17 has replaced the A-5 and some F-7 and Mirage units and the process is well underway.
As i said if we get the Qatari Mirages, it will just add extra punch, a dozen aircraft armed with R'HAD ALCM, will represent a deadly strike element.

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom