What's new

Operations in Dir and Buner

It is difficult to have confidence in an army when it goes on the offensive and the result is an enemy advance.

It is also difficult to have a confidence in a military when it goes on an offensive and the result is destabilization of another country.

Well what about countr-'ies'...Somalia is next i suppose.

@ rokhanyousafzai
i suppose u were rit about the SSGs

Now we are talking.:sniper:
SSG should had been deployed in the area sooner to take out high value targets, once taken out the remaining trash can be sweep by the FC and the army.

@ rokhanyousafzai
i suppose u were rit about the SSGs

yea i thought because its aljazeera its mite of been wrong because the pak media would of known better but aljazeera were right with the army and as a result a reporter has been injured however its a very positive development i believe they should of been used earlier but hey as u sed better now than never lets hope its a full scale operation sp its can be cleared :cheers:

yea i thought because its aljazeera its mite of been wrong because the pak media would of known better but aljazeera were right with the army and as a result a reporter has been injured however its a very positive development i believe they should of been used earlier but hey as u sed better now than never lets hope its a full scale operation sp its can be cleared :cheers:

i think pakistani media got scared after army arrested that media person and warned rest of the media on printin specification of the operation

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/30/world/asia/30pstan.html?hp

The Pakistani forces air-dropped commandos into the main town in Buner on Wednesday and quickly retook control of it from Taliban militants who flooded into the area last week, the military said. But the district was far from recaptured and the military may be in for a hard fight.
Villagers who fled the fighting and made it to this village on the plains said the military was bombing in Buner with fighter jets and firing rockets from helicopter gunships as Pakistani troops battled the Taliban on the ground for a second day.

-------------------------

New York times is claiming that Pak Army has hit a roadblock. And being an Indian and all, for the first time I am hoping that they blast right through that road block!

but employment of armour (even obsolete one) is worrying sign. am not sure whether this is an ideal approach. however if PA was to succeed in establishing a superiority immediately, then all is justified.

but employment of armour (even obsolete one) is worrying sign. am not sure whether this is an ideal approach. however if PA was to succeed in establishing a superiority immediately, then all is justified.

APV's are a sensible tool. As far as I know, they are not using Tanks - that would be worrying indeed.
Indian Police used armoured tractors in Punjab in late 80's.

APV's are a sensible tool. As far as I know, they are not using Tanks - that would be worrying indeed.

check the pic on the link posted by Agnostic in post #121

that is a tank if i ever saw any (and I have seen plenty for a lifetime)

We still use BMPs in ROP role (road opening party) at times in valley ......

It is also difficult to have a confidence in a military when it goes on an offensive and the result is destabilization of another country.
Meaning, I suppose, that the military in question may have succeeded in conquering territory but failed to destroy the enemy, allowing it to escape elsewhere. The answer, I suppose, is for the military to expand its theater of operations and concentrate more on killing the enemy - even if that means killing their human shields as well. [/QUOTE]

Meaning, I suppose, that the military in question may have succeeded in conquering territory but failed to destroy the enemy, allowing it to escape elsewhere. The answer, I suppose, is for the military to expand its theater of operations and concentrate more on killing the enemy - even if that means killing their human shields as well.
[/QUOTE]

sorry were not israelis we cant just drop bombs from thousands of feet and fly back and tell the whole world that were under grave danger from rockets that barely scorch the tarmac of israeli roads, civilians are the reason action was prolonged for so long and because of that the taliban stayed in these areas which is why there is more suppourt for action after people were given a taste of life under the taliban

tanks are also being used. they were used in FATA as well. its gud to have movin artillery:guns:

Pakistan retakes key town, kills over 50 Taliban militants

29 April 2009 2355 hrs

PESHAWAR: Pakistan said on Wednesday that its troops have seized control of the main town in the northwest region of Buner after fierce fighting with Taliban in which over 50 militants were killed.

The fighting came after the military on Tuesday launched a ground and air offensive in Buner, near the troubled Swat valley, to flush out militants from the area.

Troops also recovered 18 of around 70 police and paramilitaries abducted by militants in the area Tuesday, chief military spokesman Major General Athar Abbas told a news briefing.

"We have received reports of more than 50 casualties since yesterday," he said, adding that troops also destroyed two explosives dumps.

Up to 500 Taliban militants entered Buner earlier this month and imposed sharia law in what the Pakistani military called a "violation" of an agreement struck earlier in the year with Islamists to bring peace to the region.

The operation to flush out the rebels and prevent them gaining ground in the troubled country had the full backing of Washington, which has put Pakistan at the heart of the battle against terrorists and Al-Qaeda militants.

Abbas said troops had "successfully secured Dagar," the main town in Buner district, and established links with police and paramilitary soldiers there, but militants were occupying three police stations in nearby villages.

One security officer had died in "fierce fighting" with the militants and three others have been wounded, he added.

"We are restrained by the fact that militants have made the people of Buner hostages," he said.

Abbas said an Arab correspondent of Al-Jazeera TV, Abdul Rehman Matar, was wounded after his vehicle was caught up in crossfire in Dagar.

"This is very unfortunate incident. He was given medical treatment and he is stable now," the general said adding that Matar's other colleagues were safe.

The United States had branded the Taliban's advance "an existential threat" to Pakistan, and US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton warned that the government was "basically abdicating to the Taliban and to the extremists."

The latest Pakistani military operation launched Tuesday comes after a similar offensive mounted in nearby Lower Dir over the weekend that swelled the number of people displaced by fighting in northwest Pakistan.

Washington earlier hailed the military operations as "exactly the appropriate response" to halt the Taliban's advance in nuclear-armed Pakistan, Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell said.

"We are very much encouraging of those efforts," Morrell said. "We hope they can sustain these operations."

The threat of Taliban militants making further inroads into Pakistan could deepen the reservations shared by the White House and its Western allies about the peace deal in nearby Swat valley.

Islamabad in February agreed that Islamic sharia law could be enforced in Swat and its surrounding districts in a deal aimed at ending two years of a bloody rebellion led by radical cleric Maulana Fazlullah.

As well as encouraging military moves to stop the spread of the Taliban, the US also hopes to help stabilise Pakistan with non-military assistance.

However, on Tuesday hopes faded for an emergency package of US aid after some US lawmakers doubted whether the proposed funds would have the intended effect in Pakistan.

Meanwhile, there were continuing fears for civilians made homeless by military operations in the region, with witnesses Wednesday saying the Pakistani military were using helicopters to shell suspected hideouts.

The offensive mounted in Lower Dir, in which around 70 militants and 10 security personnel died, has now been completed, Abbas said.

The Taliban reacted bitterly to the government operation in Buner saying that the militants were resisting and "reserve the right to retaliate."

They said the Swat deal remained intact until abrogated by the elderly cleric Sufi Mohammad, who had negotiated it.

"We are still abiding by the agreement. But if it is revoked by Sufi Mohammad, we will resume our jihad (holy war) against the government, like in the past," said Muslim Khan, a local Taliban spokesman. - AFP/de

channelnewsasia.com

Different areas involve different strategies. I don't understand why you are seeing a worrying sign here?

Buner operation continues successfully: Athar Abbas
Updated at: 1805 PST, Thursday, April 30, 2009
ISLAMABAD: Director-General Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR) Major General Athar Abbas has said that a new operation against militants has been lauched in Buner.

Addressing a press briefing here on Thursday, Maj. Gen. Athar Abbas said the army has taken control of Malandari pass from militants and Buner operation continues successfully. He said a security checkpost was ambushed triggering a crossfire in which four militants were killed while one security force official was hurt.

Athar said that Swat peace agreement still remains intact but militants are violating the agreement. The ISPR chief said that the security forces destroyed four vehicles of militants in Qamber bazaar, Lal Qila and Lower Dir.

He said that security forces were facing stiff resistance in Ambella; a stronghold of militants and a police station was also torched by Taliban militants in Pir Baba last night. To a question, Maj. Gen. Athar Abbas said the FC headquarters has been established in Daggar adding that the military operation could reach a logical conclusion in next seven days.
Buner operation continues successfully: Athar Abbas - GEO.tv

Back
Top Bottom