What's new

Operation Rah-e-Nijat (South Waziristan)

"Mr. Dostum and Ahmed Wali Karzai are minting money, while opium is making its way en-masse to Pakistan Iran and even Russia."

I'm certain that you wouldn't be so foolish as to suggest how the taliban's hands are pure as the driven snow when it comes to opium.

You do understand how world records were cultivated under their watch as rulers of Afghanistan and how now the growth of opium in Helmand ties VERY closely to their own insurgency.

If you don't I'll be happy to provide you the data.

The pashtun taliban themselves are dope dealers of the first order and always have been. Only apologists for them would suggest otherwise.

"you gave aid to Afghanistan than realized ohh talibans are bad.."

STILL gave aid to Afghanistan's people.

"I love American Media.."

Doesn't explain your child-like ignorance about communism and its benefits to mankind.

Think before you speak…
Excuse me Sir…
Lol
I never supported communism nor I support capitalism….
Why are you calling me a child?
I just said take your own country…. why to talk about Russia when your own country is involved in the same thing…
You guys are giving aid to whom? May I know? What did your aid do? Can you tell me the living conditions of Afghanis after American aid…
Enlighten me uncle S 2…
:usflag:

:pakistan:

Last edited:
"You guys are giving aid to whom? May I know? What did your aid do? Can you tell me the living conditions of Afghanis after American aid…
Enlighten me uncle S 2…"

Google is your friend.

Enlighten yourself if you REALLY wish to learn about foreign aid, who gives it, who receives it, what it does and what it can't do.

"You guys are giving aid to whom? May I know? What did your aid do? Can you tell me the living conditions of Afghanis after American aid…
Enlighten me uncle S 2…"

Google is your friend.

Enlighten yourself if you REALLY wish to learn about foreign aid, who gives it, who receives it, what it does and what it can't do.

Yeah..
google will give the best source i.e. CNN...
:usflag:

As for Pak-Afghan border, we need to do more to ensure that the border and sovereignty are respected and rules are followed. But its easier said than done, as it is a rugged region.

that should be one of our top priorities - secure the border and impose the writ of the state on territories within.

Airstrikes kill 18 Taliban in Orakzai Agency

* Taliban with Rs 10 million head money arrested in South Waziristan
* ISPR says head money paid to informer

By Saboor Khan

HANGU: At least 18 Taliban were killed and 14 injured when fighter jets and helicopter gunships targeted Taliban positions in Orakzai Agency on Thursday, sources told Daily Times.

At seven Taliban hideouts were also destroyed in the raids.

Eight Taliban were killed when fighter jets and helicopter gunships bombed the Chapri Ferozkhel area of Lower Orakzai, while 10 Taliban were killed in airstrikes that targeted Dabori, Alf Khel and Toorsimt areas of Upper Orakzai. The sources said security forces had gained full control of Shahukhel, defusing eight mines and arresting four Taliban.

Wanted Taliban: Meanwhile in South Waziristan, security forces said they had arrested a wanted Taliban – identified as Abdullah Shah Mehsud, who had a head money of Rs 10 million.

“Troops arrested a wanted terrorist, Abdullah Shah Mehsud … from Tank … the head money has been paid to the informer,” said the ISPR. In Jandola, the forces cleared Bangiwal, Janata, Kunj Mela, Zawar Killi, Gund and Umar Raghzai, arresting four suspects from Shahu and defusing 10 improvised explosive devices.

Troops also cleared Spinkot, Sharkai Sar near Kot Langarkhel and Narakai, establishing links in Khuni Mor and Sarwekai and defusing 15 improvised explosive devices. Forces also consolidated their positions in Behram Shah village near Laki Ghund, while troops cleared 15 compounds in Pash Ziarat and 20 compounds at Salarai Shag near Kandai Sar. Security forces also discovered a training centre in Tauda China Khula.

Security forces also conducted a search operation in Gashkor village and Kalam in Swat, and apprehended two Taliban, while eight others surrendered in Shangwatai, Qambar and Kabal.

Paramilitary and army soldiers are pursuing a major offensive against TTP strongholds in South Waziristan, part of a tribal belt where US officials say Al Qaeda terrorists are plotting attacks on the West.

Leaflets announce reward for TTP leaders’ capture

MIRANSHAH: Security forces on Thursday used planes to drop leaflets over North Waziristan Agency to announce rewards on the capture of leaders and commanders of the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP). The leaflets carried photographs and announced head money of eight of the TTP’s 19 main leaders. The leaflets only gave the names and the head money for the rest. The leaflets also carried telephone numbers and asked people to contact authorities if they had any information on the TTP members. The TTP leaders and commanders mentioned in the leaflets include Hakeemullah Mehsud with a Rs 50 million head money, Qari Hussain (Rs 50 million), Waliur Rehman (Rs 50 million), Gurguray (Rs 20 million), Mazloom Yar (Rs 20 million), TTP spokesman Azam Tariq (Rs 20 million), Noor Hameed (Rs 20 million), Maulvi Shamim (Rs 20 million), Muhammad Ismail (Rs 20 million), Jalil Mehsud (Rs 20 million), Sher Azam (Rs 20 million), Shah Faisal Mehsud (Rs 20 million), Nisaruddin (Rs 20 million), Azmatullah Bermand (Rs 20 million), Anwar Kulachi (Rs 10 million), Khan Saeed Duatoi (Rs 10 million), Asmatullah (Rs 10 million), Abdul Wahab (Rs 10 million) and Abdullah Shah (Rs 10 million).

staff report

s-2 I always laugh after watching Rambo-III - in the end the director inserts a dedication to the brave and rugged mujahideen of Afghanistan - the very people you are fighting now!

Don't think that Americans give aid for the benefit of other peoples - their aid is always to increase their influence over foreign countries. Even aid given to Pak is
subject to riders.

Are Americans good allies - NO. Pak knows that. India is making a mistake in allying with your country. Has the US helped India in it's fight against terror - NO. Has Us helped Pak in fighting against terrorists - NO. US wants to prevent attacks on US, Israel and Europe maybe Japan to an extent. Poor Asian countries like India and Pak are no-entities for you.

Regarding Communism - it is you who shold read the history books. Communism saved Russia from the cruelty of the czars. Stalin was a madman - YES but so was Hitler and he wasn't communist. Killing unarmed civvies is the sworn right of Americans since a long time. Remember Hiroshima and Nagasaki ? Japan never bombed civilian centres purposely - except in China maybe and that was a slugfest to the death. US killed millions of civilians just to end the war quickly. BTW Japan was a friend of India and Pak - we were rooting for the Japs to throw the British out of India

FC displays weapons seized in border raid

LANDI KOTAL: The security forces on Thursday displayed a huge quantity of weapons and ammunition seized during a raid near the Pak-Afghan border

The display, for the media, was held the Landi Kotal Fort. Frontier Constabulary personnel said the seized weapons included missiles, rocket launchers, heavy and light machine guns, anti-aircraft guns and ammunition.

Briefing journalists, Khyber Rifles Commandant Col Masood Aslam said the security forces had thwarted potential terrorist acts by impounded two trucks loaded with prohibited heavy and light weaponry, which were being smuggled to Peshawar. However, no arrest could be made. He said the anti-state elements were trying to create unrest in society by plotting terror attacks. He said the security forces had been rendering great sacrifices for the country.

Landi Kotal Assistant Political Agent Azam Khan said Landi Kotal was peaceful and tribesmen had been extending full support to the government against terrorists. He ruled out the possibility of a military operation in Landi Kotal.

app

INTERVIEW
Date Posted: 26-Nov-2009

Jane's Defence Weekly

Interview: Lieutenant General Jim Dutton, Deputy Commander of NATO's International Security Assistance Force

Georg Mader Correspondent - Vienna

The biggest threat to strategic success in Afghanistan is the loss of political will by the West, according to the deputy commander of NATO's International Security Assistance Force (ISAF).

As the UK's top general in Afghanistan, Lieutenant General Jim Dutton backs ISAF commander General Stanley McChrystal's recent call for more NATO troops to fight increasingly stiff Taliban resistance.

Speaking to Jane's in Vienna during an Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) Forum for Security Co-operation, Gen Dutton stressed the coalition's determination to defeat the Afghan insurgency by involving Afghans rather than solely focusing on the insurgents. "When General McChrystal was mentioning more troops, it was within a security-situation assessment. And this was not generally a negative one," Gen Dutton said.

The outgoing ISAF deputy commander said that, while the situation in Afghanistan was serious and "could go either way", the command believed it was "possible to be successful together with the Afghan people and that it is our understanding that we absolutely can succeed. That's the basis [McChrystal] and rest of us are working on".

However, Gen Dutton admitted that there had been a deteriorating security situation throughout 2009 in the troubled southern and eastern provinces of the country. "It was worse than we had hoped it would be, especially as we continue to take the fight to the insurgents. ... The numbers [of militants killed as well as casualties] speak for themselves," Gen Dutton said.

He argued that many important steps of nation-building, such as healthcare provision and access to education, had been achieved since 2001. However, the general said: "While governors can now collect taxes and business in the bazaars is running, there's still an insurgency going on. It has been able to regenerate itself despite the successes we have had against it. Therefore we need a new approach - with the Afghans - to be able to resolve that. We need to bring in as many experts into the review - academic, political and military - as possible."

Asked about the continuing political debate in the US on whether NATO should follow a strategy with a different footprint of troops and whether ISAF should adopt the counter-insurgency strategy developed by General David Petraeus as laid out in Field Manual (FM) 3-24 in 2006, Gen Dutton responded: "I've already said it: you can't defeat an insurgency with airpower alone.

"[If] we continue the policy of counter-insurgency which we [have been] pursuing in Afghanistan for some years, there has to be more than just airpower. Let's keep out of certain numbers [of troops] as this is highly political, but to my view FM 3-24 'Counter Insurgency', with its 20 troops per 1,000 inhabitants, also has to be tempered by the circumstances of the country or the particular region."

Questioned on what should happen next in Afghanistan, Gen Dutton underlined his view that the biggest threat to strategic success is a loss of political will by the West. "We are now focused on protecting the population. The McChrystal recommendation for the way in which ISAF operates has to be seen in this light - to defeat the insurgency rather than just killing the insurgents. It's a mindset change; you have to concentrate your forces on where the majority of the population needs [them]."

In terms of the differences between Afghanistan and Iraq (where Gen Dutton was based with the UK's 3 Commando Brigade), the general said ISAF had learnt not to build the Afghan army too quickly. "This army has been grown more slowly; the result is higher quality," the general said. "Not just the individual infantryman; the institutional set-up we're also training. We are aiming here for a self-sustaining, self-generating, self-training army for the future."

The training is based around an academy that is sponsored by West Point: the US military academy. However, Gen Dutton said more needed to be done in terms of training fully loyal police forces.

Security is also a concern for ISAF's supply routes through Pakistan. Gen Dutton said that, while he did not want to belittle the attacks against supply vehicles, the routes have never been cut.

"The attacks have made no material difference to the supplies coming into Afghanistan and we don't see them being likely to do so. Of course we always want to open new lines and so we thank OSCE members [such as] Russia and the central Asian states. They are hugely useful but are never going to replace the routes from Karachi through Pakistan. If you choose to operate in a landlocked country, this will always be a challenge."

Regarding recent changes in the UK's aviation assets and the perceived shortage of helicopters that has been played out in the UK media, Gen Dutton said: "The fixed-wing replacement by Tornados was necessary because the Harriers really needed a time out. But the platform is not the point; the impact on the ground needs to be assured, which it is.

"And while I would like to have five times as many helicopters, extra platforms like Merlins will now go in."

Gen Dutton also points to the US combat aviation brigades that were deployed into the south from mid-2000, providing 130 additional US helicopters. "That's for Regional Command South, so we are making use of these. I spend most of my time travelling in them; that's fine in a coalition."

No 504/2009-ISPR Dated: November 27, 2009
Rawalpindi - November 27, 2009:

1. South Waziristan - Operation Rah-e-Nijat. Details of operation of last 24 hours are as follows:-

a. Jandola Sector

(1) Security forces cleared village Bangi Wal near Ahmed Wam, village Kunj Mela, Raghazai and cleared 30 houses in village Haidri Kuch and 50 houses at Kot Raghazai.

(2) Security forces recovered huge cache of arms and ammunition during sanitization of Zhawar Killi.

(3)Clearance operation at Chagh Malai and Tor Mandao is under process.

b. Shakai Sector

(1) Security forces cleared Narakai after stiff resistances during encounter 15 terrorists were killed and 1 soldier was injured.

(2)Security forces cleared road Sarwekai-Siplatoi and defused 10 IEDs planted astride the road.

c. Razmak Sector

(1)Security forces conducted clearance operation around Pash Ziarat, Wachuba and Kot Band Khel and defused 9 IEDs.

(2)Security forces cleared 30 compounds at Mad Amir Killi and recovered cache of arms and ammunition during encounter 1 soldier was injured.

(3)Clearance operation at village Shaktu Taba is under process.

2. Swat – Malakand – Operation Rah-e-Rast

a. 2 terrorists voluntarily surrendered to security forces at Miandam.

b. Security forces carried out search operation in Qamber and apprehended 3 suspects

3. Relief Activities.15,577 Cash Cards have been issued to displaced families of Waziristan.

STILL gave aid to Afghanistan's people.

There's a very thin line between the Afghani people and terrorists (living in Afghanistan) buddy!

Last edited:
Tackling ‘Terry’ in South Waziristan
Usman Ansari

So, it seems the military has finally moved into Terry’s (the Taliban’s) lair :rofl:, in South Waziristan, and after a few weeks it all seems good news. The army have secured the heights around the battlefield, Terry is running everywhere he is encountered, and the boys will be home in time for Christmas. Well, not quite. Not least because I suspect Christmas doesn’t mean much at all to an awful lot of people taking part in the fighting in South Waziristan bar the odd Christian Pakistani soldier.

The Pakistani military knows from bitter experience that this is the easy part. In fact it knows that Terry may already have largely fled leaving only cannon fodder behind. That is the standard operational procedure for Terry after all, when they’re faced with someone who can fight back. Hakimullah Mehsud, the new leader of the TTP (after the ‘tragic’ and ‘untimely’ demise of killer, liar, and general low life brigand - it seems this is all the Mehsud tribe have ever been since time immemorial; a bane on their neighbours and everyone else - Baituallah Mehsud at the hands of drone fired missile whilst he was getting a rooftop leg massage from his latest wife), has done a ‘Scarlet Pimpernel’, and is nowhere to be found, yet, (we live in hope). So have much of the rest of Terry’s leadership. The big fish seem to have disappeared. They could equally have slipped into North Waziristan or have made across the virtually unguarded frontier into Afghanistan.

There are a number of reasons why this is entirely feasible. There was plenty of time taken in the build-up to the operation to allow them to do so, and even now the Pakistan Army is woefully under-equipped in terms of helicopters. Helicopters, as we know, allow for the rapid transport of men and material to and around the battlefield enabling any escape routes to be cut off. Though the army seized heights and passes in the area of operations I suspect it may not have been done quickly enough for this very reason, lack of helicopters.

The mainstay of the Pakistani battlefield transport effort is the Mi-17 ‘Hip’, which is a fairly powerful and highly versatile machine. People who claim Russian/Soviet products are not up to scratch or inferior to Western equipment really need to get acquainted with it. It may not be as sophisticated, but it is rugged and reliable. It’s what’s required under the circumstances. In fact more of them are required. A few have come from rather unusual sources. The Americans have provided a few, and the latest have come from the Czech Republic.

They’re not the only helicopters available to the army, but they are the only ones in the class available in numbers. The overall status of the fleet of IAR-330L Puma helicopters, which are nowhere near as capable as the Mi-17s, but would still be useful nonetheless, is rather uncertain. They were supposed to be being returned to operational status with the help of Eurocopter, but that hasn’t happened yet. Instead it still looks like the ones flying are in the air due to the cannibalization of the rest of the fleet. If money was no object then it would do the army well to enter into an agreement with the South Africans to upgrade them Oryx standard, but that’s simply not the case. If money were no object I rather fancy the Pakistanis would be buying more Mi-17s. The Pumas have served for decades and have had a hard life.

The present reality is that Pakistan is trying to get the Americans to provide more helicopters through military aid, and would like Chinooks, Blackhawks, and Apaches. I guess Pakistan is not the only one with this ‘wish list’, because helicopters of all types, especially medium/heavy transports, are in a shortage worldwide, (well, for those who actually want to use them that is; plenty of countries - even those which are supposed to be part of the Western effort in Afghanistan - are sitting on sizable fleets but are busy malingering, shirking, and generally falling over themselves to avoid combat of any kind whatsoever, whilst still making up the numbers on paper, but cowardice and malingering are just national character traits which simply won’t ever change for some cheese eating surrender monkeys).

Pakistan will have to make do therefore with its small numbers of Mi-17s and Bell 412s, and even smaller number of hard-pressed AH-1F Cobras for rotary wing close air support.

Those of you with eyes like hawks will also have noticed that surface transport around the battlefield is a rather more mixed picture. Sadly, the mainstay here seems to be the Mitsubishi Triton/L200 pick-up/ute. It moves men and material, but with the favourite weapon of Terry, the one that causes the most casualties in Afghanistan, being the ‘humble’ mine, or the much feared IED, it’s dreadfully inadequate and offers no protection at all. A lot of effort has been expended in giving Western troops a vehicle better equipped to survive an IED explosion than a ‘Snatch’ Land Rover Defender. Mine resistant vehicles cost a pretty penny though, and seeing Pakistan has no money, it won’t be getting any unless they’re ‘donated’. As mine resistant vehicles are in desperate shortage and are required for Western troops though, no one should hold their breath.

Arguably however, if there were more helicopters available in Afghanistan, if those nations with large numbers sat doing nothing in Europe realised there was a war on in which everyone must play their part, not so many mine resistant vehicles would be required in the first place. I guess the same goes for Pakistan, but South Waziristan is part of Pakistan, and as of yet, the picture isn’t as bad as Afghanistan, so there would still have to be a fair degree of movement by road anyway.

Other less expensive options could be considered. I wrote a while ago about Pakistan requiring some 8x8 or even 10x10 vehicles which would suffice admirably here. It transpires, there has been such a requirement since the early 1980s, but nothing has been done about it. Had there been I guess we wouldn’t be seeing so many Tritons rumbling about. So they’re going to be in use for the duration of the operation I fear.

I can’t really say how long this operation will last. I don’t think anyone can. Terry may simply be drawing the army into fighting a costly guerrilla type conflict which the army isn’t best equipped to handle. If the ground captured is to be kept free of Terry however, the army will have to stay, and if the army stays and it wants to deny South Waziristan to Terry in the long run, then there will have to be a massive development programme to ensure jobs and opportunities are provided to the locals to wean them away from Terry’s malign influence. They have to be given a stake in the system.

That should have happened a long time ago, but successive governments just put it in the ‘too hard’ basket, and left a lot of the Frontier area to its own devices. That was a mistake, as we now know. Basic education, infrastructure, health, women’s rights, small and medium enterprise support, plus a whole lot more needs to be addressed in the entire Tribal Areas. For this there would have to be rule of law, and the tribes will have to accept the supremacy of national law over their tribal laws. This won’t be easy as some would stand to lose pretty much everything not to mention their iron grip over their underlings. It’s much the same in Balochistan, but if they want development, (which they sorely need), then they’ll have to accept the power and authority of the state.

The first step to all of this is the army’s operation to weed Terry out, and that will take time to do properly. Therefore, I think we should get used to the army being in South Waziristan for a long time yet.

Usman Ansari

Iam especially iterested to know about the performance of Cobra copters in CI ops in Waziristan. Are the numbers too small to make a difference ? Soviet Hinds were very successful in Afghanistan till Stingers made an appearance. Are Cobras fighting well ?
Regarding copters - why doesn't Pak approach Russia for Mi-17s ? I don't think Indian pressure on Russia will work these days. Mi-17 can help you to evac prisoners and casualties.
Why don't you look at Casspir - India has been using it for CI ops in Kashmir esp useful against IEDs. I've seen them in Kashmir recentlyand they are mighty impressive vehicles ! South African produced - they have seen Combat use by their forces. Casspir - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Mr. Dostum and Ahmed Wali Karzai are minting money, while opium is making its way en-masse to Pakistan Iran and even Russia."

I'm certain that you wouldn't be so foolish as to suggest how the taliban's hands are pure as the driven snow when it comes to opium.

You do understand how world records were cultivated under their watch as rulers of Afghanistan and how now the growth of opium in Helmand ties VERY closely to their own insurgency.

If you don't I'll be happy to provide you the data.

The pashtun taliban themselves are dope dealers of the first order and always have been. Only apologists for them would suggest otherwise.

This "might" help you understand things.

In 2000 Mullah Mohammed Omar, the Taliban's supreme leader, banned poppy growing before the November planting season and augmented it with a religious edict making it contrary to the tenets of Islam.

The Taliban, which had imposed a strict brand of Islam in the 95 percent of Afghanistan it controlled, had set fire to heroin laboratories and jailed farmers until they agreed to destroy their poppy crops.

The U.N. surveyors, who completed their search in Feb 2001, crisscrossed Helmand, Kandahar, Urzgan and Nangarhar provinces and parts of two others areas responsible for 86 percent of the opium produced in Afghanistan, Frahi said in an interview. They covered 80 percent of the land in those provinces that last year had been awash in poppies.

This year they found poppies growing on barely an acre here and there, Frahi said. The rest about 175,000 acres was clean.

The Annual Production of opium came down to 185 Metric Tons in 2001 from last years 3,276 Metric tons.Since the presence of NATO forces we have seen a substantial increase in opium production.According to UNODC - World Drug Report 2009 - Afghanistan produced 7,700 Metric Tons of opium in 2008.
The Annual Afghan Drug trade is estimated at near $ 3.4 billion.:usflag:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom