What's new

Open Debate | How to conduct a 'reasonable debate' between Pakistanis and Indians on PDF?

Great imperator rarely am I on pdf these days..no gossip...btw ran across a guy who is adamant that the JF-17s are superior to your vipers coz of divertless supersonic inlets...that's the sort of stuff that hacks me off!

Superboy. . .:sarcastic:

Hello. I just wanted to collect ideas on how defence.pk can better conduct a reasonable debate between Pakistanis and Indians?

From our experience there are a few problems that hinder our efforts to engineer debates towards a fruitful ending.

• Members have issues with the other nationality commenting on their nation's issues.
  • Members presume it to be an infringement of their 'internal matters'.
  • Members look at threads as a means of 'triumph' or 'defeat' to the other nationality, which is absurd.
  • Members have personal grudges against other members from another nationality
  • Trolling
  • Mine is bigger than yours
Now we want to solve this issue, so i thought that its better to put it out there for an honest session of debate on how we can improve the situation.

Please give your opinion.

Aeronaut

Laudable effort but easier said than done. Don't have time to get into details

Hello. I just wanted to collect ideas on how defence.pk can better conduct a reasonable debate between Pakistanis and Indians?

From our experience there are a few problems that hinder our efforts to engineer debates towards a fruitful ending.

• Members have issues with the other nationality commenting on their nation's issues.
  • Members presume it to be an infringement of their 'internal matters'.
  • Members look at threads as a means of 'triumph' or 'defeat' to the other nationality, which is absurd.
  • Members have personal grudges against other members from another nationality
  • Trolling
  • Mine is bigger than yours

Now we want to solve this issue, so i thought that its better to put it out there for an honest session of debate on how we can improve the situation.

Please give your opinion.

Aeronaut

Nothing drastic can be done about the first four points . Any attempt to make any rule preventing usage of these points in the debate constitute an infringement of the "freedom of speech " . That's basically going against the spirit of any forum - Open and free discussion by all.

As far as the last two points are concerned , they hardly matter to serious posters . Any one indulging in them is labelled a troll by the forum community in a split second.

A way to controlling debates so that they are reasonable and CLEAN --which btw is basically the real problem . Members mudslinging or taking potshots at each other --- There is a way out.

We can use the @ sign before a few senior and tolerant member's names from both sides and INVITE them to share their views .

An intellectual and reasonable discussion then begins , and the one-liners and troll posts are automatically ignored.

And as backup -- we can ensure that all threads related to the same topic are either merged or the redundant threads deleted.

This way the reasonable members don't have to get bored being called again and again to a similar thread.

If i was a webpage designer and in charge of this forums page development , I would create a system whereby any thread posted by any member was monitored by a filter checking a large number of Keywords in the title or the first few paragraphs for comparison with similar threads posted before and then if found similar then restraining the user from posting that thread --with a cautionary message and a redirection to the pre created thread. My Ideas. :)

No HUGSY with an ENEMY LEMUR ! :mad:

But we do indeed have one of the most stellar records of rational and enlightened debating...don't you agree that the rest should emulate us..Oscar sahib was rather noncommittal in his reply.

But we do indeed have one of the most stellar records of rational and enlightened debating...don't you agree that the rest should emulate us..Oscar sahib was rather noncommittal in his reply.

If we were dealing & debating this in real-life I bet we could get Indo-Pak Issues resolved in a fortnight ! :)

Indians and Pakistanis get along ok more or less, except for the usual suspects who keep getting banned(not gonna name any names). If we avoid disrespect towards each others religion,Indians and Pakistanis can hold a proper debate. Its the other sub forums which needs quality control though.

Firstly weed out the false flaggers, webmaster is already doing a pretty decent job there, but still lot of shady characters lurking around.

Buckle down on racist posts. The level of racism that goes on in the Far East and Middle East forums is ridiculous. And it spills over to the rest of the forum and vitiates the environment. For example calling Vietnamese "forest monkeys" is very distasteful. Me being a neutral party I have reported such racial abuses many a times, but I don't think anything was done. Same with the name calling like "wahabi" "safavids" "self lasher" "sand nigger" :cheesy:

Bottom line, avoid insulting each others religion, and avoid the racist jibes, and we can all get along ok.

If we were dealing & debating this in real-life I bet we could get Indo-Pak Issues resolved in a fortnight ! :)
the people who are dealing with indo pak issues are way cleverer than you and dilli.. may be its not in our interest to solve them? :)

Great imperator rarely am I on pdf these days..no gossip...btw ran across a guy who is adamant that the JF-17s are superior to your vipers coz of divertless supersonic inlets...that's the sort of stuff that hacks me off!

I have heard similar arguments by the said member on how the JF-17 has artificial TVC. And that somehow the direct interviews on the JF-17 are lies and its all gotten "fantastic"(imagine if said by Hritik Roshan) with full FBW and other cosmic gadgetry.

I have heard similar arguments by the said member on how the JF-17 has artificial TVC. And that somehow the direct interviews on the JF-17 are lies and its all gotten "fantastic"(imagine if said by Hritik Roshan) with full FBW and other cosmic gadgetry.

No more different than certain folks this side of the line proclaiming that the Tejas = Rafale.

How goes life? Apologies for ditching you folks but the boss and the doctor called upon me.

the people who are dealing with indo pak issues are way cleverer than you and dilli.. may be its not in our interest to solve them? :)
Cleverer than me..than us? @Armstrong SIT ON HIM!:angry:

No more different than certain folks this side of the line proclaiming that the Tejas = Rafale.

How goes life? Apologies for ditching you folks but the boss and the doctor called upon me.

Life be dull and busy at the same time. Business plans have slowed, so focusing on health.... which includes a Yoga class with an Indian import for "stress and anger management" . At no point was the fact that a lot of high society babes between 20-30 attend the thing involved at any part in that decision.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom