What's new

Only 25 pc in India claim Hindi is their mother tongue

@levina
I am not sure Indee....Rajnikant, Simran ,Nagma or Jyothika none of them were tamilians but were accepted well in Tamilnadu.

What I meant was not in terms of social or societal acceptance, but one of ethnic acceptance. The fact that they 'aren't Tamilian' hasn't been forgotten yet, nor will it be forgotten any time soon.

I dont know about Barahui ppl but some Mappilas (muslims also called malabaris) from kerala had left India to settle in Pakistan after the Mappila revolt in 1921.I have no idea as what this community is called in Pakistan.

The Brahui aren't South Indians. Never were. I think the Mappila identity have been subsumed by the broader Muhajir tag.

Those were not "dil" shaped. :pissed:
Those were round blinking party glasses...get your eyes checked Indee. :coffee:

(The pic looks as if it was edited by Mr.Indischer, the dil shaped glasses are so big that it covers her forehead too, time to join some art classes Indee:haha::haha: :lol::lol: )
Why do I remember them to be dil-shaped?:undecided: Maybe because I remember you as a Darya-dil insaan.:lol:
And those glasses look so Avant Garde on her. 8-)But my MS-paint skills are very poor though.:ashamed:

I never said he was kannadiga. I just put his name in brackets.

WRT to Jaya, but a heard and read a lot of people and many papers claim is Kannadiga, while some claim she is a Tamil .
I guess it her community there is similar to Vijayakanths here then, they are originally telugu, but settled in Madurai for a while and speak telugu/telugu tamil mix at home.
yeah..actually a good part of the south Karnataka has fair amount of ethnic Tamils like in kolar district,bangaluru rural and chamrajnagar district...majority of them are now identify as Kannadigas(kaveri piratchinai/kalavaram ellaam inge thaan mukiyama nadanthittu irukirathu..inge vandhu Tamilnu sollittena sangu aruthiduvaanga..)

I never said he was kannadiga. I just put his name in brackets.

WRT to Jaya, I've a heard many people and newspapers claim she is a Kannadiga, while some claim she is a Tamil.
I guess it her community there is similar to Vijayakanths here then, they are originally telugu, but settled in Madurai for a while and speak telugu/telugu tamil mix at home. She herself doesnt speak about herself also.

Vijaykanth is a Nayakkar/naidu,they are telugu speaking people.

Jaya is an Iyengar and not a Hebbar,Tamil Iyengars are tamils wherever they live.

Well, I have lived in Coimbatore. A large number of Kannadigas live there and they cannot be distinguished from Tamilians, they assimilated with mainstream Tamil population without much effort. most of them identify as Tamils. in the rural villages of northern Tamilnadu, the language is a mix of Kannada-Tamil. many Telgu speakers are spread all over Tamilnadu. you may be knowing actors like Nagesh etc are Kannadiga. But, the question of Kongu-naad(CBE-ERODE-SALEM) whether to be considered be part of Tamilnadu or not is the question.:undecided: central govt. may split TN to form Kongunadu. Coimbatore city was slow in development owing to the negligence of state government which is all concerned about Madras only. all development activities in TN are concentrated in Madras.

Kongunadu should happen.

@levina

What I meant was not in terms of social or societal acceptance, but one of ethnic acceptance. The fact that they 'aren't Tamilian' hasn't been forgotten yet, nor will it be forgotten any time soon.
I am still doubtful about it.Non tamilians rose to the stature of gods and goddess in Tamilnadu,that should be proof enough.

Indischer said:
The Brahui aren't South Indians. Never were. I think the Mappila identity have been subsumed by the broader Muhajir tag.
You're right...Thats what I found when I tried searching about those mappilas. Ostensibly they were labelled mujahirs and were snubbed by the Pakistani community.Interestingly it was mostly men (not their family) who had migrated to Pakistan.
Now brace up Indee...this one is going to be the the shocker, theres a village called "kerala" at the Pak-Afghan border.And the brutal massacre at "Kerala" was one reason for strong tribal & Afghanistan’s anti Soviet sentiment.
Tell me you are shocked..:lol:..atleast I was.

Indischer said:
Why do I remember them to be dil-shaped?:undecided: Maybe because I remember you as a Darya-dil insaan
And those glasses look so Avant Garde on her. 8-)But my MS-paint skills are very poor though.:ashamed:
Next time try the rayban wayfarer....i would prefer those over your "dil" shaped glares. :P

So you mean to say that Pakistanis today have no claim on IVC?....And those Tamils who identify themselves as Hindu are confused folks? Splendid!

btw, how do you identify yourself as? Given that there isn't anything out there that can be called 'Tamil Country', I can see why you've found it quite difficult to adopt any flag.:lol:

This cultural /historic link is between the people of Pakistan and the Tamil Indian need to keep off.

Hindu is an identity given by Persian /Arabs , later adopted by the British, Dravidian Tamils religion is different and not Baniya's Hinduism

This is another issue to be taken up in Tamil nationhood

Last edited:
Hmm, interesting.

My ancestors were once not considered Han, even though our subgroup (Hakka) originated from the North China plains itself.

But the Han identity is all about assimilation. Those who adopted the Han language (Chinese) and Han culture and customs became Han.

Though of course, nowadays Chinese nationality is more important.

don't let the Indians bluff you , Tamil identity was never based on birth, that's the Hindu caste system , Tamils had close culture links with China -- 3000 yr ago, Bogar's guru the father of Tamil religion was a Chinese - not sure if he was Han , Hainanese or Hakka ..
Bogar's guru, Kālāngi Nāthar, is believed to be a Chinese who attained siddhi in South India and thus became included among the Eighteen Siddhars.

Last edited:
This cultural /historic link is between the people of Pakistan and the Tamil Indian need to keep off.

Hindu is an identity given by Persian /Arabs , later adopted by the British, Dravidian Tamils religion is different and not Baniya's Hinduism

says a Srilankan muslim....
if thats your logic..then,your Muslim identity was given by Arabic travelers and preachers and converted yours then Hindu/Buddhist ancestors to islam...

The State run boards should have the following,

Type I - General English
1. English
2. Secondary compulsory - State language
3. Choose any 1 - Hindi or advanced state language

Type II - General English (Minority run)
1. English
2. Secondary compulsory - State language
3. Choose any 2 - Hindi or advanced state language or minority language

Type III - State language
1. State language
2. Basic Hindi
3. Basic English
In later classes, the student can select the 3 subject as an advanced level and drop one basic.

Let people choose what they want. Hindi can be restricted to those who want to study it.

Well, you do know that they were Kannadiga once, right? That's exactly what I am talking about. :) They may have assimilated superbly well, but the knowledge that they weren't 'originally' from Tamil Nadu lingers on somewhat.
well,don't know about Kannadigas in Coimbatore...but they are lot of ethnic Kannadigas in darmapuri,erode,Krishnagiri districts of Tamilnadu..even many village/town names are of Kannada orgin like hosur,shoolagiri,hoganekkal and lot of names ending with halli,bele,giri..etc....
apart from that..padagai tribes of neelagiri spoke badage,a dialect of Kannada forms more than 50% of the district and also toda,kota,kurumba like adivasi tribes too spoke toda,kota,kurumba languages(all variants of halegannada)..

And what stake does a Sri Lankan have in all this? This is between Indian folks. Island hoppers need to back off.

well,don't know about Kannadigas in Coimbatore...but they are lot of ethnic Kannadigas in darmapuri,erode,Krishnagiri districts of Tamilnadu..even many village/town names are of Kannada orgin like hosur,shoolagiri,hoganekkal and lot of names ending with halli,bele,giri..etc....
apart from that..padagai tribes of neelagiri spoke badage,a dialect of Kannada forms more than 50% of the district and also toda,kota,kurumba like adivasi tribes too spoke toda,kota,kurumba languages(all variants of halegannada)..

Yup! And they all still retain 'non-tamil' identity. Moreover, I specifically pointed out that for people to be accepted as Tamil, their ancestry had to lie south of the Kaveri. I think the Tamilized Kannadiga groups that you mentioned also probably fulfill that criteria.

Last edited:
@levina
I am still doubtful about it.Non tamilians rose to the stature of gods and goddess in Tamilnadu,that should be proof enough.

You refering to the likes of Thalaiva? Just to clear my position on this, I did mention that an ancestry south of the Kaveri was necessary to be accepted as an ethnic Tamilian. Not to be misread as gaining acceptance in Tamil society. I think it's common knowledge in TN that Rajnikanth is a Marathi.

You're right...Thats what I found when I tried searching about those mappilas. Ostensibly they were labelled mujahirs and were snubbed by the Pakistani community.Interestingly it was mostly men (not their family) who had migrated to Pakistan.
Now brace up Indee...this one is going to be the the shocker, theres a village called "kerala" at the Pak-Afghan border.And the brutal massacre at "Kerala" was one reason for strong tribal & Afghanistan’s anti Soviet sentiment.
Tell me you are shocked..:lol:..atleast I was.

There's a Kerala inside Pakistan?:wacko: When did this massacre take place there? And was the village populated by Mappilas or was the name sheer coincidence?

Next time try the rayban wayfarer....i would prefer those over your "dil" shaped glares. :P

Aye aye Kapitan. Next time, it will be acheap knockoff of the wayfarer that will adorn your visage.:D

And what stake does a Sri Lankan have in all this? This is between Indian folks. Island hoppers need to back off.

We dont.. So stop dragging the country name in unnecessarily to respond to a troll with an identity crisis.. What makes you think he /she is Lankan ??

We Lankans arnt interested in internal politics of India as long as it doesn't effect us or our sovereignty.. You dont see us making 101 threads about toilet habits or poverty of others, Unlike some of you people giving two cents of opinion on Sri Lanka at any given chance

well having flags means your allegiance is found out sooner. So less effectiveness in trolling because people know your intentions.

good to see you gibbsy.

Tks mate.. Sorry to butt in on the thread

We dont.. So stop dragging the country name in unnecessarily to respond to a troll with an identity crisis.. What makes you think he /she is Lankan ??

We Lankans arnt interested in internal politics of India as long as it doesn't effect us or our sovereignty.. You dont see us making 101 threads about toilet habits or poverty of others, Unlike some of you people

It's meant for that Sri lankan Tamil fella's consumption alone. He isn't Indian for sure, and was interested in Sri Lankan Tamils for a long time, drawing me to believe he was your countryman.

It's meant for that Sri lankan Tamil fella's consumption alone. He isn't Indian for sure, and was interested in Sri Lankan Tamils for a long time, drawing me to believe he was your countryman.

he has no flags.

Him being a false flagger is high.

Or he is one of those who trolls for the sake of trolling.

No need to feed trolls mate.. You can see how they make alternate threads to attract attention.. From anti Lankan to anti Indian, Most times with claims without any verification or solid sources

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom