What's new

Only 25 pc in India claim Hindi is their mother tongue

Hmm, interesting.

My ancestors were once not considered Han, even though our subgroup (Hakka) originated from the North China plains itself.

But the Han identity is all about assimilation. Those who adopted the Han language (Chinese) and Han culture and customs became Han.

Though of course, nowadays Chinese nationality is more important.

Well, assimilation kinda works in India as well. But it definitely takes a longer duration than European countries and perhaps in China.

I also think that people are more mindful of their migration and ancestry only from the time when someone has bothered to keep any records about it. And we Indians haven't done that well enough, at least not in the way classical Greeks or Romans or even the Arabs and Persians have done so.

Sir you have not seen Brahui people. They are very tall and strong people, nothing like Indians. If they can settle and live in Balochistan then India is piece of cake for them. And as i said genetic tests has also made this theory redundant.

Bhai mere, they barely number 2.5 million today. Think how how small a community they would have been at the time of their migration. They were probably no match in sheer numbers to the other Indian communities. Also, the Brahui have thoroughly interbred with the Baloch and Sindhis. They are not an endogamous community. They just happen to retain their original language in bits and pieces.

Bhai mere, they barely number 2.5 million today. Think how how small a community they would have been at the time of their migration. They were probably no match in sheer numbers to the other Indian communities. Also, the Brahui have thoroughly interbred with the Baloch and Sindhis. They are not an endogamous community. They just happen to retain their original language in bits and pieces.

The Barahui are Baloch ! :o:

They are the same people; the Baluch Nation speaks 3 languages - Balochi, Barahui & Suleimanki Saraiki !

They are the same people; the Baluch Nation speaks 3 languages - Balochi, Barahui & Suleimanki Saraiki ![/quote]

Exactly my point! That they aren't South Indians/Dravidians in any sense of ethnicity, but merely speak a North Dravidian language. They're culturally and genetically Baloch for all practical purposes. Shan bhai here thinks otherwise.:-)

Exactly my point! That they aren't South Indians/Dravidians in any sense of ethnicity, but merely speak a North Dravidian language. They're culturally and genetically Baloch for all practical purposes. Shan bhai here thinks otherwise.:-)

Our Barahui People aren't your South Indian fellas...they don't do the same Vodo type things you guys do ! :angry:

Can you imagine @levina even prepared a vodo doll of me & she used to prick it with a needle everyday; too bad for her my hide is far too thick ! :sarcastic:

kidding.png
Our Barahui People aren't your South Indian fellas...they don't do the same Vodo type things you guys do ! :angry:

Can you imagine @levina even prepared a vodo doll of me & she used to prick it with a needle everyday; too bad for her my hide is far too thick ! :sarcastic:

You mean we're Voodoo practitioners like them Haitians? We only practice Tantric magic and Vashikaran.:p: But I've to agree with you. @levina does look like a Voodoo priestess in her Dil-shaped sunglasses. :partay:

Last edited:
Nope. It's an ethno-cultural thingy. One can live like a Tamilian, but he/she won't be accepted as a Tamil just because they chose to live like one. An ancestry traceable to somewhere/anywhere south of the River Kaveri on mainland India is just as important.:)
Well, I have lived in Coimbatore. A large number of Kannadigas live there and they cannot be distinguished from Tamilians, they assimilated with mainstream Tamil population without much effort. most of them identify as Tamils. in the rural villages of northern Tamilnadu, the language is a mix of Kannada-Tamil. many Telgu speakers are spread all over Tamilnadu. you may be knowing actors like Nagesh etc are Kannadiga. But, the question of Kongu-naad(CBE-ERODE-SALEM) whether to be considered be part of Tamilnadu or not is the question.:undecided: central govt. may split TN to form Kongunadu. Coimbatore city was slow in development owing to the negligence of state government which is all concerned about Madras only. all development activities in TN are concentrated in Madras.

central govt. may split TN to form Kongunadu. Coimbatore city was slow in development owing to the negligence of state government which is all concerned about Madras only. all development activities in TN are concentrated in Madras.

eh? Source? I have never heard of this.

There was one crackpot politician who tried to create an issue out of this, but people laughed at him and moved on.

Well, I have lived in Coimbatore. A large number of Kannadigas live there and they cannot be distinguished from Tamilians, they assimilated with mainstream Tamil population without much effort. most of them identify as Tamils. in the rural villages of northern Tamilnadu, the language is a mix of Kannada-Tamil. many Telgu speakers are spread all over Tamilnadu. you may be knowing actors like Nagesh etc are Kannadiga. But, the question of Kongu-naad(CBE-ERODE-SALEM) whether to be considered be part of Tamilnadu or not is the question.:undecided: central govt. may split TN to form Kongunadu. Coimbatore city was slow in development owing to the negligence of state government which is all concerned about Madras only. all development activities in TN are concentrated in Madras.

Well, you do know that they were Kannadiga once, right? That's exactly what I am talking about. :) They may have assimilated superbly well, but the knowledge that they weren't 'originally' from Tamil Nadu lingers on somewhat.

How do you convert someones linguistic identity? :confused:

Many non tamils (ancestry wise) are now Tamil icons

Rajinikanth (Shivaji rao gaekwad), Jayalalithaa (Kannadiga) and so on.
rajnikanth is a marathi,not kannadigaru..
jayalalitha is a Tamil iyengar from melekote,near mysore..there are many Tamil iyengar families settled in and around Bangalore,mandya and mysore...older generation still speaks Tamil in home..though younger now mostly in Kannada that too heavy Tamilized accent....
Tamil actors like nagesh,arjun,prabhudeva are kannadigas and prakash raj is a tulu..

eh? Source? I have never heard of this.

There was one crackpot politician who tried to create an issue out of this, but people laughed at him and moved on.
just go to nilgiri district of Tamilnadu...Kannadigas form morn than half of the population...
or go to hosur,darmapuri...

Last edited:
Well, you do know that they were Kannadiga once, right? That's exactly what I am talking about. :) They may have assimilated superbly well, but the knowledge that they weren't 'originally' from Tamil Nadu lingers on somewhat.
Illa saar. they are simply indistinguishable native settlers most of them. fyi, many villages speak a hybrid language. externally, all identify as Tamil, but what I hear when they speak among themselves is varying percentage of Tamil-Kannada-Telgu. it is like this in northern Tamilnadu.

Time for central government to make Kongu-nad state and crush Tamil nationalism. Bhajapa Wale, kuch sunaayi de rahe ho?

Nope. It's an ethno-cultural thingy. One can live like a Tamilian, but he/she won't be accepted as a Tamil just because they chose to live like one. An ancestry traceable to somewhere/anywhere south of the River Kaveri on mainland India is just as important.:)

I am not sure Indee....Rajnikant, Simran ,Nagma or Jyothika none of them were tamilians but were accepted well in Tamilnadu.

I dont know about Barahui ppl but some Mappilas (muslims, also called malabaris) from kerala had left India to settle in Pakistan after the Mappila revolt in 1921.I have no idea as to what this community is called in Pakistan.

Armstrong said:
There are times when I really wished I knew some Voodoo doll thingy....then it would be like having the remote control of your life in my hands. :devil::devil:
View attachment 36288

You mean we're Voodoo practitioners like them Haitians? We only practice Tantric magic and Vashikaran.:p: But I've to agree with you. @levina does look like a Voodoo priestess in her Dil-shaped sunglasses. :partay:
Those were not "dil" shaped. :pissed:
Those were round blinking party glasses...get your eyes checked Indee. :coffee:

(The pic looks as if it was edited by Mr.Indischer, the dil shaped glasses are so big that it covers her forehead too, time to join some art classes Indee:haha::haha: :lol::lol: )

rajnikanth is a marathi,not kannadigaru..
jayalalitha is a Tamil iyengar from melekote,near mysore..there are many Tamil iyengar families settled in and around Bangalore,mandya and mysore...older generation still speaks Tamil in home..though younger now mostly in Kannada that too heavy Tamilized accent....
Tamil actors like nagesh,arjun,prabhudeva are kannadigas and prakash raj is a tulu..
I never said he was kannadiga. I just put his name in brackets.

WRT to Jaya, I've a heard many people and newspapers claim she is a Kannadiga, while some claim she is a Tamil. She herself doesnt say much about her origins.
I guess her community there is similar to Vijayakanths here then, they are originally telugu, but settled in Madurai for a while and speak telugu/telugu tamil mix at home.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom