What's new

Olympics 2008 Results & Discussions

lol!!!!

The man was quoting the boxing results from South Asian Federation games (where only the aspiring Indian athletes participate) to prove his martial race theory & now proclaiming that boxers winning medals in Olympics are amateurs.

I already accepted you have 1/6th the brain power of myself (martial brain theory), and therefore accepted you to not know that all the boxers in the olympics are amateurs.

Mohammed Ali - Won Gold Medal in Olympica and went on to be the best boxer.
Mike Tyson - Failed to qualify for the 1984 Olympics loosing in the Olympic trials and was the first boxer to win all 3 heavy weight titles of different associations.

I could go on but RR will not change his views on his 1;9 theory or on my alleged nationality.

Regards

Ali won gold. Tyson could not qualify. It just goes to show how meaningless olympic boxing results can be. The only real test for boxers comes when they step up from the amateur level. This is what your facts suggest (Ali vs Tyson).

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

35 Pak Olympic spectators held as terror suspects

20 August 2008

KARACHI: The Chinese government detained 35 Pakistanis visiting China that they suspect of planning to attack proceedings of the Olympic Games, Daily Times learnt on Tuesday. China has asked the Pakistani government for details of the arrested in a letter that alleged 35 suspected Pakistani militants had arrived in China to attack proceedings at the Games. Colonel Anjum Sheikh Saeed of the Foreign Security Department wrote to the Interior Ministry on August 18, ordering the authorities concerned to collect details of those detained. The Chinese government has not released the names of those being held, but has given the names and passport numbers of 13 which include Anwar Afridi, Dildar Khan, Darwaish, Sultan, Akbar Shah, Muhammad Amin, Qadir, Asad Masood, Afzal, Saadat and Dolat Yousaf. faraz khan

I must say if UK or USA had done this some of the members here would have strongly criticised us and told us that we hated Islam but if the Chinese do the same there is a studied silence.

Regards.

AN

I am all for China arresting suspects. They haven't been proved to be guilty of anything. But no harm done if they're innocent. Hope they get a refund.

Since you love may name let me prick your bubble as well as the stupid theory you float very flexibly.

Firstly your absurd theorem was based on how Pakistani boxers were superior to Indian Boxers which led you to conclude one pakistani soldier = 9 indian soldiers.

That was never the basis. The ratio is deduced from other factors, not from the quality of the boxers.

Your theorem never mentioned that you meant north indians were superior to east indian or south indian boxers.

Actually, that's exactly what martial race theory says. The Northwest Indians (those bordering Pakistan) are more martial than the central, East, and South Indians. So, your boxing results are kind of proving this, right?

Unfortunately for you, the result however shows atleast some Indians have excelled in both boxing as well as wrestling both physical sports whereas the marital races which you feel are superior ie Pakistan and Pashtuns have drawn blanks.

The Indian boxers that have excelled at Olympic level (and this is an amateur boxing level which is highly unrepresentative of the higher levels of boxing), have all been from Northwest India. Haryana, or Uttar Pradesh.

Pakistan may well have not scored a medal. This is irrelevant. Has Latvia picked up a medal? Or Sweden? The factors that go into deciding Olympic medals are cultural, economic, and social. If Pakistan does not have an Olympic medallist in the boxing, neither does Latvia, this does not mean either has less boxing ability than the Indian that picked up a medal. One can only compare those countries where the factors meet each other.

Anyway I frankly don't think even Indians have achieved much having a population of nearly 1 billion and just 3 medals.

Maybe its time they took lessons from us as well as China, two different systems but both have emerged in the top three when they were never so dominant in the last Olympics.

Regards

India will improve I suspect.

Last edited:
Even the International media is now reporting on the achievements of Indian boxers.

3 boxers mirror India's Olympic hopes, heartache
NBC Olympics
Tuesday, August 19, 2008 5:42 AM ET

BEIJING (AP) -- Even at his lowest sporting moment, Akhil Kumar was buoyed by love for his unrelated brothers.

The bantamweight had just botched an opportunity to clinch India's first Olympic boxing medal, losing in an upset to a young, inexperienced Moldovan opponent. Yet Akhil knew his reaction would affect his two teammates who still must fight - two longtime friends from the same hometown with the same dreams of rewriting India's dismal Olympic history.

JACQUES DEMARTHON/Getty Images
India's Akhil Kumar (L) fell to Moldova's Veaceslav Gojan, 10-3.

So for Vijender Kumar and Jitender Kumar, Akhil kept his shaved head high.

"I cannot be unhappy, because I feel so strongly that my teammates will do what I couldn't," Akhil said.

The trio aren't related, but their bond is something thicker than blood. They're all from Bhiwani, a quiet city of about 130,000 in northern India with an unusual cluster of boxing clubs in a nation obsessed with cricket and fairly uninterested in any Olympic sport.

"I hate cricket," said Vijender, the 22-year-old middleweight with a head of wavy Bollywood-star hair. "I don't like the traditional Indian sports. I hope our boxing here will make more people like it instead of cricket."

India took notice when Akhil beat world champion bantamweight Sergey Vodopyanov of Russia last week - on India's independence day, no less. Vijender and Jitender followed up with preliminary-round victories that were remarkable for a team with such limited experience and low expectations.

Although Akhil failed in his chance to make history for a country with 1.1 billion people and just 16 total Olympic medals, 11 of them in hockey, India's five-man boxing team is breaking ground with every punch.

"They are all lions," said their coach, Gurbakhsh Sandhu. "I am very proud of these boxers. Every victory has been an amazing thing."

The 30-year-old Akhil, with his extra experience and a fearless, sometimes foolhardy fighting style, seems to be the classic alpha-male athlete. Wide-eyed Jitender, who relies heavily on Akhil's advice and inspiration, is also a bit technically imprecise, while Vijender might be the most talented of the three.

The trio's success in such an aggressively macho sport long dominated by hulking Eastern Europeans and impossibly smooth Cubans seems to give an extra thrill to the Indian fans who wave flags, and the reporters who cheer wildly with each successful combination.

Though Indian journalists and sports officials bemoan their nation's lack of corporate sponsorship and governmental investment in Olympic sports, the boxers realize the best way to get attention is to win.

India's interest in the Olympics was piqued last week when Abhinav Bindra, a 25-year-old maker of computer game controllers and a friend of the boxers, won the 10-meter air rifle competition to earn India's first gold medal in an individual sport.

Bindra was hailed throughout his nation, welcomed home as a hero and nominated by his mother as India's most eligible bachelor. One of his first blog posts was titled, "Monkey off my back!!!!!!!!"

Bindra also wrote in support of India's fighters, and another blog entry expressed most Indian athletes' thoughts about the nation's lack of Olympic commitment.

"It is important for India to do better at Olympic sport as these are the true measure of a nation's sporting depth," Bindra wrote. "The joy that the nation feels at my win is humbling. I just wish that this is repeated more and more often. With our depth of talent and expanse of people, I firmly believe India can be a world-class sporting power."

Bindra called for better corporate backing and governmental commitment to Olympic sports, a desire echoed by Akhil while he was still recovering from his loss.

"We should start thinking about the 2012 Olympics right now," Akhil said. "We are thinking about the 2010 Commonwealth Games, but we never think about the Olympics. It is when India failed to qualify in hockey that we came to (realize) there is something called Olympics. Why is China coming up so fast in sports? Because they prepare well ahead."

Akhil took a step back, rubbed his head and smiled.

"Now I am getting aggressive," he said. "I better go."

He'll be back at Workers' Gymnasium on Wednesday when Jitender takes on Russian flyweight Georgy Balakshin, likely the gold medal favorite in their weight class. Vijender will fight 90 minutes later in the last bout of the quarterfinals in a much more favorable matchup against Ecuador's Carlos Gongora.

Perhaps both will lose, Akhil realizes, and India will wait four more years for a boxing medal. But his younger brothers don't think so.

"This time I will certainly win, to settle old scores," Jitender said. "And when I win the medal, it will be for Akhil."

^^Does the Afghanistan bronze medalist Taekwondo competitor also compare with the same? These are all surprises. If the international media picks up on it, it's because it's so surprising, which isn't a good sign necessarily.

Sport Feed Article | Sport | guardian.co.uk

This does not mean much, as these tend to be amateurs (though I'm not sure about taekwondo).

I already accepted you have 1/6th the brain power of myself (martial brain theory), and therefore accepted you to not know that all the boxers in the olympics are amateurs.

This is what happens when bizzare logic meets stupidity. You get a scatological cr@p that only you would want to smell time & again. Anyway, good luck with your martial brain & amateur boxer theory. Professional Pakistani boxers would give their hand & leg for a medal in amateur olympics.

Last edited:
hey indian mates, by now there are 4 Chinese into boxing 1/2 finals on 48kg, 69kg,81kg and +91kg, do we have chance to meet?

I think i'l die just because of laughing.

First it was only 'Pakistan', that could produce these super-men, then after a while, in case someone from India made it, it was 'just Punjab'. And as we all know, Punjab is not in Indian by culture, its basically Pakistani. Right RR?

Then when a dude from Haryana qualified, it moved on to 'Haryana because it USED to be a part of Punjab and thus is the same thing'.

Now the logic has covered the entire Northwestern India! I see the geographic span of the 'martial race' in India increasing slowly slowly, from its humble beginnings in Pakistan!:lol:

I swear if the next guy who qualifies, is a guy from Bihar, in the future, im gonna be laughing my a$$ off! Then it would basically cover the entire Northern India. But ofcourse-that is ONLY and ONLY because of the entire Northern India's 'proximity' to Pakistan!

Whoaa. Wait up there. When did I say that the nameless theory suggested that the "supermen" suddenly stopped at the Indo-Pak border? Certainly not. That would be misinterpreting the nameless theory. Those states like Haryana which are in Northwest India that border Pakistan, have a small degree of similarity with the Eastern Pakistanis. Punjab was all one country once for example. So Northwest Indian boxers doing well, is a support of the nameless theory

This is what happens when bizzare logic meets stupidity. You get a scatalogical cr@p that only you would want to smell time & again. Anyway, good luck with your martial brain & amateur boxer theory. Professional Pakistani boxers would give their hand & leg for a medal in amateur olympics.

I take from this outburst, that you just realized Olympic boxers are all amateurs? :cool:

Afghanistan win first ever Olympic medal!

Do we have any member from Afghanitan?

AFP - August 20, 2008, 10:13 pm

Rohulla Nikpai gave Afghanistan its first ever Olympic Games medal when he won the taekwondo men's -58kg bronze medal here Wednesday.

He beat world champion Juan Antonio Ramos of Spain 4-1 in a play-off.

Afghanistan's previous best Olympic finish was a fifth place in wrestling in 1964.

Olympics: Afghanistan win first ever Olympic medal 2008 Beijing Olympic Games - News - Yahoo!7 Sport

Ali won gold. Tyson could not qualify. It just goes to show how meaningless olympic boxing results can be. The only real test for boxers comes when they step up from the amateur level. This is what your facts suggest (Ali vs Tyson).

How did you come to this Nobel Award winning theory ?

Name me one great boxing great who did not win / try out for the Olympics who became a successfull pro ?

I hope you are aware that only if they succeed in the Olympics like the men below

Joe Frasier - Olympic Gold Medal
Mohammed Ali - Olympic Gold Medal
Lennox Lewis - Olympic Gold Medal ( He was placed 5 in the 1984 olympics and no one offered to make him a professional so he waited another 4 years and won the gold medal and then turned professional. He went on to win the heavy weight 3 times.)
Amir Khan - Olympic Silver Medal
Rocky Marciano - could not particpate in the Olympics due to WW II.

The bottom line is that no promoter will offer you a professional contract unless you prove yourself in the Olympics.

BTW while you feel amateur boxing is crap and care to tell me how many Pakistani Professional boxers exist ? I have never heard of anyone yet.

Also while at it Sweden and Latvia don't claim to be martial races but as per you Pakistanis and Pushtuns are so how come inspite of being better than your puny neighbors none of them qualified for the Olympics ?

Regards

Last edited:
AN,

Pakistani professional boxers participate only in South Asian Federation games. Olympics is only for amateurs like Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer.

Cheers:cheers:

How did you come to this Nobel Award winning theory ?

This theory was started by the British, When Ranjit Singh of the Sikhs beat the crap out of the afghans. The british needed distubances for the sikhs on the western border when they were attacking the sikhs on to the east. So they floated this theory to keep the morale on the western side up.

Also they wanted to use the sikhs against the marathas. So the sikhs were joined to this theory. The britishers found this to be good for adminstration for divide and rule and when they required urgent requirements during the world wars recruited disproportionately in these "martial areas".

when after 1857 revolt the majority of British India was dearmed, this north west part wasnt dearmed because they were trying to settle down in the wealthier parts of India. Who cared about when beyond what the sikhs ruled, it was all deserts.

They also wanted to keep a buffer between Russia and India, so the british did not want to dearm these guyz like the rest of India. So the theory got a life of its own.
Regarding the buffer zones, if any one is interested, Lord Curzon doing the late 19th century wrote this. This buffer concept is the exact opposite of strategic depth pursued by Pakistan against India.
Frontiers - Wikisource

Wiki has a semi-decent one on martial races.
Martial Race - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When Pakistan was created, they used these "martial tribes" in Kashmir and they had to keep their morale up. You can find this in Pakistan popular army image. Straight from the mouth of a Pakistani major in a pakistani journal

The Pakistan Army From 1965 to 1971
The Pakistani nation had been fed on propaganda about martial superiority of their army! Brigadier A.R Siddiqi who served in the army’s propaganda/media management wing known as the ISPR (Inter Services Public Relations Directorate) states that "the 1965 war had exalted the military image to mythical heights”.

which was punctured during the 1971 war, but then there is a phenomenon called cognitive dissonance which takes different forms.

Okay, that was OT.

congrats, the best ever performance by India at olympics, 3 medals, wouldnt have dreamt it at the start.

OK!!! Lets give a rest to all the theories that are being discussed for the last 40 posts or so. We will all live to discuss it someother day on some other thread. This thread is for Olympics discussion & lets keep it that way.

Congratulations to China on reaching the finals of Women's hockey. They are now a force in a sport which is supposed to be our national game.

Another Brons for India! :yahoo:

Boxing Men's Middle (75kg) KUMAR Vijender - B
Shooting Men's 10m Air Rifle BINDRA Abhinav - G
Wrestling Men's Freestyle 66 kg KUMAR Sushil - B

pity. i was hoping vijender could get into the finals.

but anyway, atleast india's performance this olympics has been better than last year's.

Back
Top Bottom