What's new

Oliver Hazard Class Frigate Acquisition by Pakistan

By the way Nabil is their any news about inducting more OHP class frigates?

As of now, only what we have heard will arrive until PN sees a higher requirement for them.

We have yet to see what would the final weapons and sensor suit on these babies.

The overhauls mentioned in the post are not comprehensive as a refit. Which goes down to basically tearing up the ship down to removing all its superstructure, machinery, engine, and extensive De-scaling of the hull, both inside and out, and than refitting everything back on after extensive overhaul, replacement (where needed).

Hi,

Do they do that to the ships like they do it to the aircraft----I doubt it very much---but then I can be corrected.

By the way Nabil is their any news about inducting more OHP class frigates?

PN forwarded a request for a total of 6 OHP ships.

1 being delivered and 5 waiting in line to be approved for FMS program. PN can easily get them with renewed pressure on the US via diplomatic sources.

Seems like OHP will fit in for 6 older Type 21s currently in service.

Yes, they will replace Amazon class and will become the mainstay of PN surface combatants. Extensively overhauled, upgraded, and equipped with state of the art weapons, radar, sonar etc. This has pushed the induction date from August to February. SM-1MR or SM-2 is likely to be the air defense missile, Plalanx 1b CIWS, block 2 Harpoons etc....

i personally see no reservation or hurdles in getting those frigates, they are already retired from US fleet

Our navy is "House for olders"?

Life after retirement :coffee:

"In the last couple of years USS McInerney has been mainly involved in successful counter-drug operations. Pakistan plans to raise a squadron of eight Perry Class Frigates. The frigate is being transferred under the Foreign Assistance ACT and the Arms Export Control Act in which Pakistan is considered a major non NATO Ally and is able to receive older unneeded US military equipment"

Pakistan buys 32-year-old warship | Views to News, Articles, Funny Videos, Technology and News

:rolleyes:

"In the last couple of years USS McInerney has been mainly involved in successful counter-drug operations. Pakistan plans to raise a squadron of eight Perry Class Frigates. The frigate is being transferred under the Foreign Assistance ACT and the Arms Export Control Act in which Pakistan is considered a major non NATO Ally and is able to receive older unneeded US military equipment"

Pakistan buys 32-year-old warship | Views to News, Articles, Funny Videos, Technology and News

Not quite,

Agosta 90b=new

F-22p=new

MRTP-15, 33=new

Z-9 EC=new

Hovercrafts=new

BN-2T=new

Missile boats, jalalat, quwwat, Larkana, hashmat, etc, new

more boats inducted from China recently=new

not all is bleak my friend, against the odds, when DO stretch our limits. :pakistan:

my friend it will take longer time for the pak navy to become HOUSE OF FRASER from HOUSE OF OLDER....but i think its not in such a poor shape as u described..but not HD too....one more thing so say, sometimes u needed to be realistic too...PN cant go under a massive modernization programme at this stage

Hi,

Do they do that to the ships like they do it to the aircraft----I doubt it very much---but then I can be corrected.

Yes they do. I am speaking from personal experience; my fathers' company was at one time was manufacturing Self Locking Staging System for the Daphne Class submarines and I was doing my internship there after my inter exams. We used to spend a lot of time maintaining the equipment at PN dockyard - this before DefLog came into being.

During this time I have seen destroyers (We had Gearings at that time) being leterally torn apart and and rebuilt. The whole bridge and aft superstructures used to by sitting on dock side and the hull in the drydock. One could literally see into the innards of the ship - the machine spaces etc.

The same goes for the submarines. They actually remove the skin for testing, descalling, or replacing sections of the outer skin and the pressure hull. It than basically put back together again.

I spent many a weeks marvelling at the activity going on the boats during two summers and in between classes.

Penguin can shed more light on this.

Amir,

Thanks for your post---great information---One thing I should have made clear---. Do the americans go for all out refurbishing of their older ships---that should have been my question.---because that is what we were talking about.

But it is good to know about pak navy.

Yes they do. I am speaking from personal experience; my fathers' company was at one time was manufacturing Self Locking Staging System for the Daphne Class submarines and I was doing my internship there after my inter exams. We used to spend a lot of time maintaining the equipment at PN dockyard - this before DefLog came into being.

During this time I have seen destroyers (We had Gearings at that time) being leterally torn apart and and rebuilt. The whole bridge and aft superstructures used to by sitting on dock side and the hull in the drydock. One could literally see into the innards of the ship - the machine spaces etc.

The same goes for the submarines. They actually remove the skin for testing, descalling, or replacing sections of the outer skin and the pressure hull. It than basically put back together again.

I spent many a weeks marvelling at the activity going on the boats during two summers and in between classes.

Penguin can shed more light on this.

But with those experience we haven't seen any pakistani frigate or submarine untill now . though we have seen pakistan have manufacture augusta class sub with french assistance .you just have started building frigate and may be in future a chinese design submarine.

i personally see no reservation or hurdles in getting those frigates, they are already retired from US fleet

Incorrect. Some 29 remain in active service. There are none in ready reserve. There are 2 that have been in long term storage, declined by Turkey for reason of high cost of such a 'cold transfer'

how many ships do pakistan gte we only ot one is their room for other ships to be given to pakistan navy or just only one

PN has expressed interest in 6. But since ships only become available as they retire from USN service, it may take some time before another OHP becomes available, since there are other takers as well (e.g. Taiwan has expressed interest in some OHPs to replace even older ex-US Knox class frigates). Late 2010 1 OHP retired and will be used as spares hull. Two more will retire in 2011 (IIRC). Question is if these will go to Pakistan or Taiwan (or other interested countries, since there are more countries still operating old Knox class ships, and they may be looking for replacement, like Taiwan.)

What uplifting BAE systems doing in this ship ?

BAE Systems Southeast Shipyards, formerly known as Atlantic Marine Florida LLC, has nearly doubled its work force to 1,100 in the past six months.

Dan Welch, vice president and general manager of BAE Systems Southeast, said the growth is largely due to an upswing in U.S. Navy work. The company recently secured five one-year consecutive contracts totaling $340 million to repair cruisers and destroyers at Mayport Naval Station.

BAE Systems is also completing postdelivery work on the USS McInerney, a decommissioned frigate, before it is delivered to the Pakistan Navy. The company is also doing postdelivery work on a littoral combat ship, one of the U.S. Navy’s newest combat ships.

Welch said Mayport Naval Station, which will be the East Coast home port for the littoral combat ships, could begin receiving vessels earlier than 2016 if the U.S. Navy decides to send some of the first ships in the first order here instead of just to San Diego.

An earlier arrival of some of the 32 littoral combat ships slated to arrive in Mayport would help reduce the shortage of repair work expected when the base’s fleet of 13 guided-missile frigates is decommissioned entirely by late 2016. About $40 million worth of annual repair contracts will be lost when the base loses more than half its ships through decommissioning.

The base is expected to receive 17 littoral combat ships by 2020 and the remaining 15 will arrive after that date, according to Rep. Ander Crenshaw’s (R-Jacksonville) office.

Welch said international defense contractor BAE’s connections and financial stability have spurred more requests for proposal to build commercial vessels. The company last built a ship in 2009, when it finished the last of six vessels for Hornbeck Offshore Services.

The proposal requests have been to build offshore vessels for the energy industry and dredging vessels. The vessels are for domestic use and are required by federal law to be built by a U.S. shipbuilder, giving BAE Systems Southeast an edge.

BAE Systems finalized its purchase of Atlantic Marine Holding Co., the parent company of Atlantic Marine Florida LLC, for $352 million in cash in July. The acquisition of Atlantic Marine’s shipyards in Northeast Florida; Moss Point, Miss.; and Mobile, Ala., gave it a presence near almost all of the U.S. Navy’s major domestic bases.

BAE, a multinational conglomerate based in the U.K., has ship repair facilities in Norfolk, Va.; San Diego and San Francisco; and Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.

Read more: BAE Shipyards nearly doubles work force | Jacksonville Business Journal

Re-commissioning as PNS Alamgir; What went into that overhaul and transfer?
Further reports indicate that McInerney’s refurbishments are aimed at mechanical remediation and improving its anti-submarine capability only
USN Capt. Edward Lundquist (Ret.) describes the overhaul process for Pakistan’s Alamgir, which has to be conducted in the USA as part of the deal. VSE Corporation is the prime contractor, with work performed at BAE Systems Southeast Division (formerly Atlantic Marine Florida) in Jacksonville, FL, and US Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA) in Washington, DC as the executing agency.

Most of the work was mechanical. All 4 diesels were removed and overhauled, along with air conditioning units and refrigeration. Fuel oil tanks and voids were cleaned, inspected, repaired and painted, all shafting was removed and renovated, and the controllable pitch propeller system was overhauled. Likewise, sea valves were removed and either repaired or replaced, and almost every pump was opened and inspected, resulting in an 80% overhaul rate there. Ventilators and fans went through a similar process, with a 50% overhaul rate. Breakers, the NR3 switchboard, the windlass and boat davit all got inspections and overhauls. Completely new equipment includes a new navigation suite and bridge, the composite dome over the fully overhauled SQS-56 sonar, and a VIP cabin.

Meanwhile, VSE’s Ship Transfer Assistance Team (STAT) provides training that’s capped by a light off assessment, and at sea exercises modeled after those employed by the US Navy’s Afloat Training Group. The crew of PNS Alamgir moved aboard in December 2010, and are being qualified in firefighting and damage control, PMS and 3-M, and trained to U.S. Navy PQS standards. Sea trials are expected in mid-late January 2011, with a goal of sailing PNS Alamgir away on Feb 11/10.

Perrys for Pakistan: USS McInerney & the Alamgir Class
Maritime Propulsion | Overhaul prepares Pakistani frigate for sea
http://www.silobreaker.com/overhaul-prepares-pakistani-frigate-for-sea-5_2264275522982772736
... just some "minor" uplifting ...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom