What's new

O Level (and A Level) education system to be eliminated from Pakistan: Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lincoln

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ISLAMABAD - Minister for Federal Education and Professional Training, Shafqat Mahmood, on Wednesday, announced plans to eliminate O-level (Ordinary level) and A-Level (Advanced level) education from the schools countrywide to implement a uniform curriculum in the system.

He said this during his remarks to the National Assembly Standing Committee on education with regard to his ministry’s functions and future plans while asserting it would, however, be abolished at the next stage as they were coping with more pressing challenges at present.

“As current education system has many other flaws, those direly needed to be mended due to which said the plan would be practised on next level but it will be done ultimately,” he added.

Mahmood lamented that presently, three different kinds of education were being tendered in the country.

“Providing education in our public sector institutions, in elite private schools and in madrassas, three are totally different from each other,” he recalled.

The minister said a technical committee had been formulated to look into this matter, which would consult all stakeholders to make a comprehensive and final decision. He maintained a compatible curriculum would soon be introduced as the ministry was working on it.

Highlighting the other overwhelming challenges in the education system , Minister Mehmood said that figures compiled by international agencies point to over 24 million out-of-school children in Pakistan. Bringing all of them into schools was the biggest task, he added.

The minister recalled, “For this purpose, we launched prime minster vision from here in Islamabad under which 11000 children out of school children are identified so far.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/timesofislamabad.com/21-Mar-2019/olevel-education-system-to-be-eliminated-from-pakistan-report?version=amp

===================

Logic of Pakistan, if you can't compete, eliminate.
Issue with a system providing quality education where fair scoring, ultimate accountability are appreciated, and a system which is clean. Amazing.
This is new Pakistan, this is social development of PTI, very sad idea. While other countries welcome diversification of educational systems to improve job and career opportunities for their students around the world, these people are restricting it.

No issues with Madrassa's, No issue with corruption and unfair scoring in Inter and metric, with the rote learning of every single syllable; but issue with quality educational system. Naya Pakistan!

Excellent decision. There should be only one education system.

Why? Care to elaborate? The same education system which has cheated students, forced rote learning pointless stuff, demanded their text books definitions be used, full of corruption and lack of transparency?

No thank you. And even if it is improved, suddenly, to the level of Cambridge system (lets be real, it ain't happening for another decade in corruption culture of Pakistan), still why do you want to remove competition or narrow all education to one educational system allowing for Political bias and political manipulation to easily reach and influence masses, and to remove competition and so hence the need to improve. Lack of diversification will also narrow prospects for students around the world. Germany for example has issues with Inter and metric system, they bring greater demands on students from the system than with Cambridge.

ISLAMABAD - Minister for Federal Education and Professional Training, Shafqat Mahmood, on Wednesday, announced plans to eliminate O-level (Ordinary level) and A-Level (Advanced level) education from the schools countrywide to implement a uniform curriculum in the system.

He said this during his remarks to the National Assembly Standing Committee on education with regard to his ministry’s functions and future plans while asserting it would, however, be abolished at the next stage as they were coping with more pressing challenges at present.

“As current education system has many other flaws, those direly needed to be mended due to which said the plan would be practised on next level but it will be done ultimately,” he added.

Mahmood lamented that presently, three different kinds of education were being tendered in the country.

“Providing education in our public sector institutions, in elite private schools and in madrassas, three are totally different from each other,” he recalled.

The minister said a technical committee had been formulated to look into this matter, which would consult all stakeholders to make a comprehensive and final decision. He maintained a compatible curriculum would soon be introduced as the ministry was working on it.

Highlighting the other overwhelming challenges in the education system , Minister Mehmood said that figures compiled by international agencies point to over 24 million out-of-school children in Pakistan. Bringing all of them into schools was the biggest task, he added.

The minister recalled, “For this purpose, we launched prime minster vision from here in Islamabad under which 11000 children out of school children are identified so far.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/timesofislamabad.com/21-Mar-2019/olevel-education-system-to-be-eliminated-from-pakistan-report?version=amp

===================

Logic of Pakistan, if you can't compete, eliminate.
Issue with a system providing quality education where fair scoring, ultimate accountability are appreciated, and a system which is clean. Amazing.
This is new Pakistan, this is social development of PTI, very sad idea. While other countries welcome diversification of educational systems to improve job and career opportunities for their students around the world, these people are restricting it.

No issues with Madrassa's, No issue with corruption and unfair scoring in Inter and metric, with the rote learning of every single syllable; but issue with quality educational system. Naya Pakistan!
The doings of one who doesnt know how to fix things ....

Nothing to do with Naya Pakistan...it is a culture of every other Pakistani...

Quantity over quality has always been the scenario in Pakistan!

Excellent decision, high time we took education of our children in our own hands, these foriegn sponsored schools like Roots and Beconhouse have done enough damage.

And damage done by our own educational system, which FORCED parents priviledged to send their students to caCambrid systems, is excusable? Refer to my answer above.

And damage done by our own educational system, which FORCED parents priviledged to send their students to caCambrid systems, is excusable? Refer to my answer above.
Why? Care to elaborate? The same education system which has cheated students, forced rote learning pointless stuff, demanded their text books definitions be used, full of corruption and lack of transparency?

No thank you. And even if it is improved, suddenly, to the level of Cambridge system (lets be real, it ain't happening for another decade in corruption culture of Pakistan), still why do you want to remove competition or narrow all education to one educational system allowing for Political bias and political manipulation to easily reach and influence masses, and to remove competition and so hence the need to improve. Lack of diversification will also narrow prospects for students around the world. Germany for example has issues with Inter and metric system, they bring greater demands on students from the system than with Cambridge.

Dear, when did I say that the present education system other than A/O Levels is good??? Both have many many flaws.
Pakistan's education system needs a complete overhaul. And there should be only 1 education system from which the children of elites and the children of poor both study.

So, its time someone is taking responsibility and focusing on this sector, dont tell me whats what mate, i did Alevels as well from Roots and i knw these instittuions are cancer for our societies. Ofcourse the authorities will now introduce a new uniform syllabus,a new one. People will work on this now and i never doubt the capabilities of Pakistanis to come up with something better than olevels. What was abscent before was will and initiative, now it seems things are progressing. A levels is not some rare gem, it only differs from our current curriculum in one way and that is they negate ratta and focus on concepts, it is not too difficult to come up with something local like this.

Posters are clearly missing the part where it says O and A levels will be abolished in the long term. There are no short term plans. They first need to fix the education system before they abolish the foreign one.

Minister for Federal Education and Professional Training, Shafqat Mahmood, on Wednesday, announced plans to eliminate O-level (Ordinary level) and A-Level (Advanced level) education from the schools countrywide to implement a uniform curriculum in the system.

Does the Minister have any idea of the cost, time and effort required to bring in 24 million children into school and provide all the new and old students with a quality education? His plan would only bring every school down to the lowest quality rather than improving everyone to O- and A-level standards.

Dear, when did I say that the present education system other than A/O Levels is good??? Both have many many flaws.
Pakistan's education system needs a complete overhaul. And there should be only 1 education system from which the children of elites and the children of poor both study.

Why should there be one educational system only though? Let me outlight the cons of such a mess up:

- Elimination of competition; no need to improve on your system as there is no competition to force that.

- It will allow the system to become a political tool, a way seen by more authoritarian Governments as a way to influence masses without being challenged about content.

- It will severely reduce prospects of students around the world, as an example, Germany has many issues with Metric system in Pakistan and demands a foundation year among other requirements.

Excellent decision, high time we took education of our children in our own hands, these foriegn sponsored schools like Roots and Beconhouse have done enough damage.
If you had done either of the a or o levels, you would have been able to spell right.
These are the only institutes which provide education rather than matroc educastion.
SSC and HSSC can't be brought to the same level as to that of CIE and Edexcel boards.
garmant schools and punjab callege type instatues have done more damage than any one of us can honestly assess.
Stop with this closure bullshit.
Bring matroc and fsc to the same level as that of edexcel than we'll talk.
As some of you might know that students of fsc when they apply abroad for undergrad have to go through 1 or 1/2 year of extra college just to get admission in that program whereas a and o level students don't that is the difference.

I know how GCE curriculum is smartly used to form pro west and anti Pakistan narrative. Even the exams ask questions that shape foriegn narrative. Roots for instance takes foriegn donations and then promotes there agenda, i still remeber how Malalas potrait was hanged right in the lobby and the potrait of Quaid in the basement. I remeber one instance where the coordinator removed mohammad from all names in records and when students protested she was all like, dont debate religion with me, i know more than u etc etc.

So, its time someone is taking responsibility and focusing on this sector, dont tell me whats what mate, i did Alevels as well from Roots and i knw these instittuions are cancer for our societies. Ofcourse the authorities will now introduce a new uniform syllabus,a new one. People will work on this now and i never doubt the capabilities of Pakistanis to come up with something better than olevels. What was abscent before was will and initiative, now it seems things are progressing. A levels is not some rare gem, it only differs from our current curriculum in one way and that is they negate ratta and focus on concepts, it is not too difficult to come up with something local like this.

I also did A Levels and so did my friends, I say they are not cancerous to society. There, your argument summed up in my words.

Refer to my answer above for cons, in the case even if the national system is brought on par.

I know how GCE curriculum is smartly used to form pro west and anti Pakistan narrative. Even the exams ask questions that shape foriegn narrative. Roots for instsnce takes foriegn donations and then promotes thete agenda,i still remeber how Malalas potrait was hanged right in lobby and the potrait of Quaid in the basement.
I know. They are poisoning our next generation. Brainwashing them just like what those TTP terrorists do to children in madrassas. They are even more dangerous than suicide bombers because these people then take higher posts in the government.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom