What's new

NYPD officer arrested in India 'as revenge' for 'Nannygate' diplomatic scandal

More than tourism its all about the current elections

That may be one of causes, but such rhetoric used for short-term internal consumption will have longer term detrimental consequences to India's image abroad.

That may be one of causes, but such rhetoric used for short-term internal consumption will have longer term detrimental consequences to India's image abroad.

How would you respond, if a person landed up at JFK, with the name Khan as his surname, carrying 3 live bullets in his pocket? He would have been treated much worse.

He made a mistake, now he pays for it. Let the law take its course.

How would you respond, if a person landed up at JFK, with the name Khan as his surname, carrying 3 live bullets in his pocket? He would have been treated much worse.

He made a mistake, now he pays for it. Let the law take its course.

The bullets were not in his pocket. They were in a jacket in his checked bags, and had traveled all the way from USA to India, around on his vacation trip and on their way back - all by mistake.

Prosecuting a police officer for such a lapse will only make India look bad unnecessarily. Cutting off one's nose to spite one's face comes to mind in this case.

The bullets were not in his pocket. They were in a jacket in his checked bags, and had traveled all the way from USA to India, around on his vacation trip and on their way back - all by mistake.

Prosecuting a police officer for such a lapse will only make India look bad unnecessarily. Cutting off one's nose to spite one's face comes to mind in this case.

And I am not interested in how it makes India look. In fact, if you realise our response in the past few months, we really do not care what the US or Italy or anybody thinks.

You did not answer my question. Lets say bullets are found in his baggage. Will the US police services accept that its a mistake and let him out on bail? Or would it have taken him aside and given him the treatment?

Your actions lead people to conclude this.
Whole point of quoting that post was that criticizing a state or country is one thing and insulying is another, you can carry on with the rant but atleast havesome respect for thecountry ....that is all.

There is no connection with "nannygate". He broke a law of the country and will be dealt accordingly, just how it should be!

Why are you trying to defend him. Don't you generally argue that law should take its due course? A certain person - whatever his job in his country is, found with ammunitions in an international airport, trying to board a flight. Wherever he found those bullets, whatever his intentions were, how do you support letting him go without a trial? Not like he was jailed, or being treated harshly. He has just been asked to not leave the country and stay till the case is sorted.

The finding violated India's Arms Act of 1959, and though the 49-year-old—who was visiting his wife—has been granted bail, he must stay in India until this legal mess is sorted out.

How would the law know it was an innocent mistake and not intentional, should court just take the word of the accused? No inquiry should be done?

Why are you trying to defend him. Don't you generally argue that law should take its due course? A certain person - whatever his job in his country is, found with ammunitions in an international airport, trying to board a flight. Wherever he found those bullets, whatever his intentions were, how do you support letting him go without a trial? Not like he was jailed, or being treated harshly. He has just been asked to not leave the country and stay till the case is sorted.

How would the law know it was an innocent mistake and not intentional, should court just take the word of the accused? No inquiry should be done?

Of course I would due process of law here too. Knowing the way things are in India, I would fully expect him to be let go, given the facts and the overall situation. In fact, I am sure that the Indian authorities will look at the bigger picture very wisely.

Of course I would due process of law here too. Knowing the way things are in India, I would fully expect him to be let go, given the facts and the overall situation. In fact, I am sure that the Indian authorities will look at the bigger picture very wisely.

So you are insinuating that upholding law of the land, which is the same in US and India for this case (carrying ammunition in a prohibited area) would make India look bad in the eyes of Americans. True.

So you are insinuating that upholding law of the land, which is the same in US and India for this case (carrying ammunition in a prohibited area) would make India look bad in the eyes of Americans. True.

No. I am saying that the Indians will apply the law as it applies to this case wisely. As they should.

No. I am saying that the Indians will apply the law as it applies to this case wisely. As they should.

I am sure they would. But your posts, and posts of many other indicate that if he is jailed which is lawful, it would be bad for India's reputation. So only valid option which would let India retain its 'nose' is to let the man go!

I am sure he would be released, but not because of international pressure. This was not an isolated case and Indian police deals with it a lot:

Tourist held at airport for carrying ammunition - The Times of India

Police on Saturday arrested a man from Thiruvananthapuram International Airport under Arms Act for allegedly carrying ammunition. The accused has been identified as Vinod Agarwal (43), a tourist from Punjab.

Most accused get away with it, won't be strange for this guy either. Strange is the belief that only logical, right choice is to let him be free. Ideally they should all be punished.

The same people (Americans) say the laws are equal, even for a diplomat. But if some other country uses the law, they would find excuses for that country to be wrong!

I am sure they would. But your posts, and posts of many other indicate that if he is jailed which is lawful, it would be bad for India's reputation. So only valid option which would let India retain its 'nose' is to let the man go!

Not at all. I only said that India will apply the law wisely after taking into account all factors, as they should.

Not at all. I only said that India will apply the law wisely after taking into account all factors, as they should.

If he is prosecuted, which is lawful, India would look bad. So only choice India has to let him go scot free, lest they want to look bad.

Back
Top Bottom