What's new

NYPD officer arrested in India 'as revenge' for 'Nannygate' diplomatic scandal

If he is prosecuted, which is lawful, India would look bad. So only choice India has to let him go scot free, lest they want to look bad.

He should be prosecuted, no doubt. But his sentencing should take into account the mitigating factors.

He should be prosecuted, no doubt. But his sentencing should take into account the mitigating factors.

I do know that he would go scot free. I have given you an example, many such people are caught every now and then, and get away with it. And I agree with you that India would look bad if the guy gets prosecuted. It is a ground reality. But this is hypocrisy.

I do know that he would go scot free. I have given you an example, many such people are caught every now and then, and get away with it. And I agree with you that India would look bad if the guy gets prosecuted. It is a ground reality. But this is hypocrisy.

No, he should be prosecuted for his lapse and sentenced accordingly keeping in mind the wider implications. There is no hypocrisy in that.

No, he should be prosecuted for his lapse and sentenced accordingly keeping in mind the wider implications. There is no hypocrisy in that.

Should law take its course considering wider implications? That is, should criminals be prosecuted based on the watching eyes?

Should law take its course considering wider implications? That is, should criminals be prosecuted based on the watching eyes?

Of course, the law should take its course in two steps: Prosecution and Sentencing. He can be found guilty over the three bullets and punish by expelling him with a ban on his return, according to the law as it applies to his case.

Of course, the law should take its course in two steps: Prosecution and Sentencing. He can be found guilty over the three bullets and punish by expelling him with a ban on his return, according to the law as it applies to his case.

sentenced accordingly keeping in mind the wider implications

Of course. That is precisely why judges are given the leeway prescribed in the law to take into account the implications when they determine what the sentence should be after a person is found guilty.

I know about the G11 and the 4.73mm caseless round, you realize these aren't the rounds involved, and do you realize how rare it is someone has a 4.73 or even be able to purchase because that particular caliber and round is relatively rare. The fact is those "rounds" were in his suitcase in his jacket pocket, no gun either in his suit case or his person to even fire those rounds, and if those few rounds really were caseless then those aren't live rounds, no potential to fire, no situational potential to fire, nothing period.

The truth is India is simply looking for opportunity for revenge against a US citizen happening to be a NYPD officer after US marshals had their way with an Indian diplomat in NYC, it's not about those few round parts he had in a checked suitcase.

I think you have serious comprehension issues, no where did i mention that the rounds were case less,
And you are too stubborn to understand the meaning of Live ammunition. So I am not going to argue anymore... You can think whatever you wan't, as far as his treatment is concerned, law will take i's course.

And being a TTA better language is expected of you...It would have been nice if you could have edited your earlier post.

Of course. That is precisely why judges are given the leeway prescribed in the law to take into account the implications when they determine what the sentence should be after a person is found guilty.

Ideally the leeway is to take into account the circumstances, age etc, all related to the accused and the crime. None about the 'wider picture'.

Ideally the leeway is to take into account the circumstances, age etc, all related to the accused and the crime. None about the 'wider picture'.

Yes, you are correct, which means taking into account a police officer from a friendly nation visiting as a tourist who made a mistake. Pretty wide picture even at that, don't you agree?

Just wait until the tourist dollars dry up. Then India will reconsider. :D
Next time, try carrying 3 live rounds in your carry on luggage, see how TSA treats you... Why is a simple issue being blown out of proportion?

Next time, try carrying 3 live rounds in your carry on luggage, see how TSA treats you... Why is a simple issue being blown out of proportion?

If it is in the checked bag, the TSA knows what to do. It is indeed a simple issue, as we shall soon see how it is resolved with wisdom by the appropriate Indian authorities.

Yes, you are correct, which means taking into account a police officer from a friendly nation visiting as a tourist who made a mistake. Pretty wide picture even at that, don't you agree?
Well, You are a pakistani national, which is a US ally, partner in WoT, lets see what happens if a pakistani on tourist visa, makes a mistake of carrying 3 rounds in US, how will that play out?

If it is in the checked bag, the TSA knows what to do. It is indeed a simple issue, as we shall soon see how it is resolved with wisdom by the appropriate Indian authorities.
Is it so? I'll pay for your trip come down to denver with 3 rounds in you bag without declaring them... all expense paid trip!!!

True, but anyone would infer from
wider implications
that you meant
will only make India look bad unnecessarily. Cutting off one's nose to spite one's face comes to mind in this case.

Well, what are we arguing for, I agree with you on all counts. It is just that hypocrisy of big nation is hard to swallow.

Well, You area pakistani national, which is a US ally, partner in WoT, lets see what happens if a pakistani on tourist visa, makes a mistake of carrying 3 rounds in US, how will that play out?

I am sure it will be resolved amicably and appropriately, taking into account all the factors similar to the case in question.

It is just that hypocrisy of big nation is hard to swallow.

Well, sometimes there is no other choice. :D

Back
Top Bottom