What's new

NRO no more! SC gives its verdict! All cases revived!

Cabinet approves major austerity measures

ISLAMABAD: The federal cabinet approved on Wednesday a number of austerity measures, including a 40 per cent reduction in foreign visits by the president and the prime minister, reducing utilities expenses of the Presidency and the Prime Minister’s House by 25 per cent and capping them for three years and curtailment of the number of ministries and divisions.

A meeting of the cabinet, presided over by Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, discussed only austerity measures did not take up a proposal for a five-day-work week. The number of ministries will be reduced to 30 from 42 and that of divisions to 37 from 52. The cabinet approved phased privatisation of public sector organisations, including Wapda, Pepco, Railways, PIA and Pakistan Steel Mills, after their restructuring. The government is providing Rs252 billion as subsidy per year to these organisations.

Finance Minister Shaukat Tarin, who heads the Austerity Committee, and Information Minister Qamar Zaman Kaira told reporters that the prime minister would soon set up a committee to formulate short-, medium- and long-term strategies to ensure effective implementation of the austerity measures.

The finance minister said that net savings would be worked out after implementing the measures.

The Pay and Pension Commission, he said, had been asked to come up with proposals for improving the salary structure and monetisation of all perks and privileges of government employees. Expenditures on foreign tours by ministers have been cut by 30 per cent and entertainment by 30 per cent. Only one dish will be served at government lunches and dinners.

The number of planes in use of VVIPs will be reduced and eventually handed over to a charter company which may operate them on a semi-commercial basis.

The practice of performing Haj at government expense will be stopped.

The Pay and Pension Committee will look into details of a proposal for a ceiling on official telephone connections.

There will be no VIP lounges and wards in government hospitals.

Entourage of the president and the prime minister will be restricted to seven vehicles and that of governors and chief ministers to six.

Federal ministers will use cars of up to 1800cc and provincial ministers of up to 1600cc. Locally-manufactured cars and armoured vehicles will be used for official purposes.

Video-conferencing will be promoted as substitute for visits. Pakistani diplomatic missions abroad will represent the country at meetings, seminars and conferences.

Solar and wind power and coal will be introduced as alternative energy sources.

Ministries, divisions and institutions will have to seek quarterly approval of their supplementary grants, instead of putting them at the end of a financial year in order to enhance parliamentary oversight on expenditures.

Opposition hails decision on NRO

LAHORE: Opposition leaders have welcomed the Supreme Court decision on striking down the National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO) and demand resignation of all public offices holders who benefited from the ordinance.

Pakistan People’s Party leaders say they will discuss the issue in its central executive committee meeting scheduled for Saturday (Dec 19) in Islamabad.

Pakistan Muslim League-N’s (PML-N) Khwaja Asif says the verdict has put at stake credibility of the politicians who benefited from the NRO as well as of the government.

He said that in his personal opinion, President Asif Zardari and others should resign from their offices. He said these people must not take cover of immunity under various laws and should dissociate themselves from the power corridors.

Their sacrifice, he said, would improve credibility of politicians. He said the PPP leadership must not hesitate in taking the bold decision as their party was in power and they could stage a comeback after getting a clean bill of health from courts of law.

Tehrik-i-Insaaf Chairman Imran Khan says as President Zardari has lost moral grounds to rule the country, he should vacate Presidency.

He said Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani should take charge of all the affairs and seek resignations from his cabinet members who had benefited from the NRO. He sought mid-term polls to allow the masses give their verdict on the performance of the ruling parties.

“The party believes in institutions and will not react emotionally to the court verdict and its resultant consequences,” PPP Punjab Chief Rana Aftab Ahmad Khan said, adding that the party’s CEC would meet on Saturday to discuss the scenario.

He said the party leadership had earlier faced these “politically-motivated” cases for a whole decade and was ready to face them again.

He said President Zardari had been elected with two-thirds majority and enjoyed support of the masses and therefore there was no reason for demanding his resignation.

Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif has hailed the decision of the Supreme Court regarding the National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO), says a handout.

He said as a result of this decision, supremacy of law would be strengthened and the process of accountability would be effective and transparent.

what a day guys what a day....
ppls movement of restoration of judiciary is finally payin off. this deal whose architectures are those in US UK and top elite of PPP can now see their weakness in front of public power of Pakistan

Restoration of judiciary will completly pay off when the justice is delivered to all equally.

Do you believe that NS and Fazlo didnt do any corruption?

I hope that their cases are also open with the delivery of justice.

Restoration of judiciary will completly pay off when the justice is delivered to all equally.

yeah...
same with Saint Mushi

yeah...
same with Saint Mushi

sure if there is a case of personal corruption against him :lol:

FYI - There is no case against Gen Musharraf for personal corruption so lets get back to my original comment:

What do you think Saad about my original comment?

Mr. Ace,
I appreciate your patriotism and hats off for your suggestions, but you need to think over your word free Judiciary is it really free or someone else is running the show? If they are free i wonder how this free judiciary failed to decrease the price of sugar Rs.15/KG ???????
Any good answer ......
Sir, it is your right to complain about the shortcomings of the judicial system. The judiciary is much more "free" than it has ever been before. Tell me, is it the job of the Courts to set the price of sugar? Should they also be running the mills? or should we, instead, criticise the politicians and businessmen responsible for the issues?

Nawaz Sharif's name was not on the NRO. That doesn't mean he is innocent or guilty, it simply means that he was not afforded the unfair advantages accorded to the other thousands at the hands of the retired General. If you have a case against Nawaz Sharif, or anybody, and if you can provide sufficient evidence, then please, by all means, challenge him in the courts.

I don't expect everyone on the list to be found guilty. I also don't expect everyone who is guilty to be exposed. But, at least, we will have inquiry. The affect of this will not just be punishment for past crimes, but the fact that from now on, the politicians will not have as much lee-way.

Nawaz Sharif's name was not on the NRO. That doesn't mean he is innocent or guilty, it simply means that he was not afforded the unfair advantages accorded to the other thousands at the hands of the retired General. If you have a case against Nawaz Sharif, or anybody, and if you can provide sufficient evidence, then please, by all means, challenge him in the courts.

Qibla,

App ki khidmat mey baad salam key ye arz hai key nechey satoor ko apna qeemti waqt bhaksyee

ISLAMABAD: The Musharraf government prepared a money laundering reference against PML-N leaders Mian Nawaz Sharif and Mian Shahbaz Sharif in 2000 on the basis of a statement recorded by one of their trusted lieutenants, Senator Ishaq Dar, according to a court document seen by Dawn here on Thursday.

Senator Dar’s handwritten statement, given before a magistrate back on April 25, 2000, had alleged that Sharif brothers used the Hudaibya Paper Mills as cover for money laundering during the late 1990s.

The reference was prepared on the orders of then president Pervez Musharraf, but it was shelved after the Sharif brothers went into exile in December of the same year.

The Musharraf government tried to reopen the reference in 2007 after Nawaz Sharif announced his return to the country.

The confessional statement of Senator Ishaq Dar was recorded before a district magistrate in Lahore. He was brought to the court from a jail by Basharat Shahzad, who was then serving as assistant director in the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA).

According to legal experts, the senator’s deposition was an `irrevocable statement’ as had been recorded under section 164 of the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC).

Senator Ishaq Dar has always been regarded as one of the closest aides of the Sharif family, and is now also a relative as his son is married to Nawaz Sharif’s younger daughter.

However, the NAB record clearly shows that back in 2000 he had agreed to give a written statement against the Sharifs about their alleged involvement in money laundering.

The top PML-N leaders had hit a rough patch by then as some of their lieutenants were busy developing a new political system for Gen Pervez Musharraf after his Oct 1999 military coup.

In the statement, Ishaq Dar accused Nawaz and Shahbaz Sharif of money laundering in the Hudaibiya Paper Mills case.

At one point in the 43-page statement, Mr Dar said that on the instructions of Mian Nawaz Sharif and Shahbaz Sharif, ‘I opened two foreign currency accounts in the name of Sikandara Masood Qazi and Talat Masood Qazi with the foreign currency funds provided by the Sharif family in the Bank of America by signing as Sikandara Masood Qazi and Talat Masood Qazi’.

He said that all instructions to the bank in the name of these two persons were signed by him under the orders of ‘original depositors’, namely Mian Nawaz Sharif and Mian Shahbaz Sharif.

‘The foreign currency accounts of Nuzhat Gohar and Kashif Masood Qazi were opened in Bank of America by Naeem Mehmood under my instructions (based on instructions of Sharifs) by signing the same as Nuzhat Gohar and Kashif Masood Qazi.’

The document shows Dar stated that besides these foreign currency accounts, a previously opened foreign currency account of Saeed Ahmed, a former director of First Hajvari Modaraba Co and close friend of Dar, and of Mussa Ghani, the nephew of Dar’s wife, were also used to deposit huge foreign currency funds provided by ‘the Sharif family’ to offer them as collateral to obtain different direct and indirect credit lines.

Senator Dar had disclosed that the Bank of America, Citibank, Atlas Investment Bank, Al Barka Bank and Al Towfeeq Investment Bank were used under the instructions of the Sharif family.

Interestingly enough, Ishaq Dar also implicated himself by confessing in court that he — along with his friends Kamal Qureshi and Naeem Mehmood — had opened fake foreign currency accounts in different international banks.

Mr Dar said an amount of $3.725 million in Emirates Bank, $ 8.539 million in Al Faysal Bank and $2.622 million were later transferred in the accounts of the accounts Hudaibya Paper Mills.

He said that the entire amount in these banks finally landed in the accounts of the paper mills.

The Hudaibiya Paper Mills case is still pending in the National Accountability Bureau.

If it is opened again, the Sharif brothers may be in for a rude shock: a confidant is to blame for the albatross around their necks.

In this regard Dawn made repeated efforts to contact Senator Dar on telephone, but without luck as his mobile number was switched off and he did not reply to text messages.

However, a PML-N spokesman Siddiq ul Farooq alleged that the signed statement was extracted from Mr Ishaq Dar under duress.

DAWN.COM | Pakistan | ?Sharifs used paper mill to whiten money?

sure if there is a case of personal corruption against him :lol:

FYI - There is no case against Gen Musharraf for personal corruption so lets get back to my original comment:

What do you think Saad about my original comment?

YEAH
I agree NS, fazlo, Altaf Bhai :rofl: and Zardari
All should have a trial...

hey SSG wait for few months...
Pakistan will eat Mushi as a Sushi...
sorry I will hurt your feelings..
Saint Sushi

:pakistan:

I dont think I will ever understand the maze of Pakistani politics so could someone sum up whatever is happening in a couple of sentences?

'No more Zardari' would be nice :D

YEAH
I agree NS, fazlo, Altaf Bhai :rofl: and Zardari
All should have a trial...

hey SSG wait for few months...
Pakistan will eat Mushi as a Sushi...
sorry I will hurt your feelings..
Saint Sushi

Thanks for agreeing with me and I completly agree to add AH's name to the list.

No problem about sushi comment it just shows your Japanese background :lol:

SSG I told you zillions of times if not billions..
that I do not support current political leadership...
your dialogue shows that you still think I support political leadership..
You play blame game with me
I accuse Saint Mushi and you accuse Zardari..
why do you always forget I DO NOT support Zardari or any other current main stream leaders..
I hope you know the difference between leaders and "main stream" leaders..

Thanks for agreeing with me and I completly agree to add AH's name to the list.

No problem about sushi comment it just shows your Japanese background :lol:

I aint Japanese!
and I HATE when mods delete the posts...
lol
so better stay on the topic...
otherwise our posts will be marked troll...

SSG I told you zillions of times if not billions..
that I do not support current political leadership...
your dialogue shows that you still think I support political leadership..
You play blame game with me
I accuse Saint Mushi and you accuse Zardari..
why do you always forget I DO NOT support Zardari or any other current main stream leaders..
I hope you know the difference between leaders and "main stream" leaders..

buddy boy there is only leader and that is Gen. Musharraf the rest are all politicians. :coffee:

I want you to be a part of the system and support someone because this is how a country can chosose its true leaders.

If educated people like yourself don't vote then there will be no change.

buddy boy there is only leader and that is Gen. Musharraf the rest are all politicians. :coffee:

I want you to be a part of the system and support someone because this is how a country can chosose its true leaders.

If educated people like yourself don't vote then there will be no change.

Musharaf >>> leader
wow
:smitten:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom