What's new

North Waziristan operation under serious consideration: Malik

North Waziristan operation under serious consideration: Malik | DAWN.COM

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s Interior Minister Rehman Malik on Friday said that the government is seriously considering a military operation in the tribal badlands of North Waziristan, DawnNews reported.

Speaking to reporters upon his arrival at the Karachi Airport, the interior minister said that the tribal region of North Waziristan agency is the hub of terrorists. Malik said that the entire nation was united against the “Zaliman”, an Urdu term meaning “oppressors” which he used to describe Taliban militants.

Rehman Malik said that the terrorists had not just attacked 14-year-old schoolgirl Malala Yousufzai, but had attacked the entire nation. He added that the government and military leadership will decide whether there is a need for an operation in North Waziristan.

The interior minister’s comments come in the shadow of the assassination attempt on Tuesday by Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) militants on the life of young schoolgirl Malala Yousufzai, who belongs to Swat. Two other girls were also injured in the shooting while Yousufzai, who was shot in the head, is currently on a ventilator.

Doctors say the next 48 hours will be critical for the young girl’s health. The shooting has drawn condemnation from world leaders and many Pakistanis.

He just want to cool down Uncle Sam to get support in upcoming elections...nothing more...Military will never do operation in Wazirstan.....coz they know that this is America's master plan to put Paksitan's army in trouble before they leave from Afghanistan and put all blames about their failures to Pakistan.

[:::~Spartacus~:::];3495858 said:
hahahahaha, i knew somebody wanted malala card to be played, i dont know in what world Pakistanis live, they must be the dumbest creates on the planet, one can clearly see whats happening here, they say zardari Dog when they don't get electricity and at the same time like zardari when he starts a military operation to kill other Pakistanis

it means solve my problem, i don't care about rest of the country even it goes to ****

this nation is good for nothing

First and here is the Most Important Part Taliban's have admitted they carried out this Heinous Act .I think whats scaring Taliban lovers as for the first Time whole nation has condemned this attack so they are desperately trying to put a spin on it and distance themselves from this Act. And now starting to call it a conspiracy against The angles Apple of their Eye Taliban.

Still waiting for that Mysterious Raw or Mossad agent to be blamed as long as cover can be Given to Animals. i guess i cant call these Taliban Animals as Animals only kill when they are threatened or to Hungry.

Taliban lovers worse Nightmare is coming alive Whole Nation is calling for their pets to be taken down and pressure on Army and Government has grown hope fully now Generals can act on it as they have the support of the nation and once for all Destroy them and hang their lovers through out pakistan.

Here you go ;)

Some pakistanis have a habit to blaming their misdeeds on others... Pakistani military shot this girl and them some fanboys here come out blaming it on the drone attacks ... Pathetic...

Pakistans victims of war struggle to move on | Latest news, Breaking news, Pakistan News, World news, business, sport and multimedia | DAWN.COM

then why indians are supporting that there should be military action in waziristan against taliban, and drone attacks....

[:::~Spartacus~:::];3495858 said:
hahahahaha, i knew somebody wanted malala card to be played, i dont know in what world pakistanis live, they must be the dumbest creates on the planet, one can clearly see whats happening here, they say zardari kuttah when they dont get electricity and at the same time like zardari when he starts a military operation to kill other pakistanis

it means solve my problem, i dont care about rest of the country even it goes to shitt

this nation is good for nothing

Terrorists don't count as Pakistanis, the fact they have they shamelessness to go against PA means they deserve to be killed.
A true patriot would fight FOR the PA, not against - anyone who does otherwise doesn't deserve any sympathy that you, and the Pakistanis you critisize for doing the same so far, are giving.

Here you go ;)

Some pakistanis have a habit to blaming their misdeeds on others... Pakistani military shot this girl and them some fanboys here come out blaming it on the drone attacks ... Pathetic...

Pakistans victims of war struggle to move on | Latest news, Breaking news, Pakistan News, World news, business, sport and multimedia | DAWN.COM

Not unexpected, typical Indian brainfart. If there's any army that does shooting of civilians, it's IA. A true contemporary of Wehrmacht. You're in a glass house, plus it doesn't have any toilets.

That SOB fazlullah is hiding in afghansitan's kunar province , if there is any place that needs to attacked by PA its that area.

It is TIME that Pakistani Army used the public opinion that's changed drastically due to the shooting of Malala, a 14 year old girl, a child who almost got killed in the name of Taliban's Islam when Islam itself PROHIBITS killing and terrorizing anyone!!!

This is now a defining moment in Pakistan's history. The people of Pakistan and the Army need to support each other and stand united and CRUSH these evil terrorist who care for no religion, including their own, who care not for human life, including their own people and who used twisted logic and put a black mark on over 1.2 billion muslims who don't follow their version of Islam.

If Pakistan seizes this opportunity, it's people are with its Army, the US and the world is with you and rooting out these crazy maniac Talibans will be the FIRST HUGE STEP towards modernization and growth of Pakistan. A SAFE and HEALTHY, FEAR FREE environment is needed for Pakistan's next generation to grow, get educated, take the country in the right direction and expand the economy, change the meaning of life by adding prosperity and create a system that provides a better lifestyle for all. Where Christians, Muslims, Hindus and Jews can come and go without threats and scares. Foreign investment comes in and Pakistan becomes the only Muslim and a RESPONSIBLE nuclear power, becoming a roll model for others. We all pray for Malala's life, health and everyone's safety. The US is with you during this time. Your resolve will defeat these barbaric Talibans who've lost the definition of humanity from their own religion.

I'm not sure Z. would get that far out of the palace, but I don't doubt you are right. Without the power to remove recalcitrant commanders (theoretically yes but almost certainly bargained away in exchange for survival) the prez & pm are powerless.

Unless they can mobilize "people power", perhaps.

The thing is that was my point but you have to also take into consideration that the President has never really tried anyway, they have all been too scared to try and dictate the terms to the military.

[:::~Spartacus~:::];3498823 said:
then why indians are supporting that there should be military action in waziristan against taliban, and drone attacks....

because this way Kashmir movement and other movements (in chechnia etc) will remain dead....I think in our region no one in heart one want peace (in terms of imposed war on us), so as to serve their benefits...

Simple, take all the children and old out, and find the honest men and women, and napalm the rest. No need to waste money.

what about your family ??? should we put them there as well??? taking out kidds and women

First and here is the Most Important Part Taliban's have admitted they carried out this Heinous Act .I think whats scaring Taliban lovers as for the first Time whole nation has condemned this attack so they are desperately trying to put a spin on it and distance themselves from this Act. And now starting to call it a conspiracy against The angles Apple of their Eye Taliban.

Still waiting for that Mysterious Raw or Mossad agent to be blamed as long as cover can be Given to Animals. i guess i cant call these Taliban Animals as Animals only kill when they are threatened or to Hungry.

Taliban lovers worse Nightmare is coming alive Whole Nation is calling for their pets to be taken down and pressure on Army and Government has grown hope fully now Generals can act on it as they have the support of the nation and once for all Destroy them and hang their lovers through out pakistan.
you take it seriously when taliban accept any thing?? com'on you are not a child

Announce and then do operation giving a chance to all bad guys for an escape..good going Malik..I will not be surprised to find some of the daily friday chanda making it into Malik swiss account.

We need to go their ASAP and liberate the tribals from the grip of these Taliban. Writ of the state needs to be implemented asap. WTF is this if it was India wouldnt Pakistan have waged a war ??? These super A$$h0I3$ are killing our people , our army , they attack and kill incoent unarmed civilians , they challenge our ideology , they have no regard and condemn our constitution. The list goes on and on , The appologists will keep coming up with excuses upon excuses.

DAWN

SIGNS of panic are evident in Pakistani Taliban ranks following the attack on Malala Yousufzai. They are clearly trying to recover from their biggest defeat on the propaganda front after the attack on the 14-year-old in Swat.

The damage was done by the initial claiming and justifying of the attack on Malala by the Taliban spokesperson. Subsequent mud-slinging by the Taliban has also seriously backfired. It may lead to fissures among the Taliban over their propaganda strategy, which had been proceeding largely smoothly, despite defeats on the military front. In the Malala case, there is a likelihood that the militants may launch indiscriminate attacks in frustration.

In recent years, the real strength of the militants belonging to most groups has been their ability to sell their cause; and through their propaganda strategies they have tried to counterbalance differences between the capabilities of the security forces and the militants. Their utmost weakness also lies in their strength — that they cannot tolerate any voice that challenges their cause or ideology. This is a common characteristic of major militant movements the world over.

The militants had carefully crafted a propaganda strategy, built around the cause of struggle against oppressive forces in Afghanistan and gradually expanded into the realm of the state system, the socio-cultural way of life and, most dangerously, in the sectarian domain.

The short-term goal of the Pakistani Taliban was to liberate Afghanistan from the US-led forces through ‘jihad’ and a secondary objective was to enforce a new social, political and economic order based on their ideology or interpretation of Islam. The long-term objective was to drive out the ‘infidel’ forces from all Muslim lands. The Taliban associate their identity with various Islamic and Islamist movements across the world and scoff at geographical boundaries of states.

An average Muslim may not disagree with this cause, and when the objectives include anti-imperialism people consider it a revolutionary movement. The Taliban have tactically manipulated their agenda. Religious political parties that are part of the mainstream electoral process and moderate Islamic scholars have struggled to counter the Taliban on the ideological front.

Apart from their well-defined ideological inspiration, the Taliban have got logistic support from international terrorist groups and used terrorism to achieve objectives which can be summarised as follows:

1. To destabilise the state’s security apparatus so that people look towards the Taliban for protection.

2. To force the government not to interfere in Taliban-controlled areas so that they can continue their activities unhindered.

3. To force the government to bring structural changes in laws or the constitution, or to bring a new system according to the Taliban agenda.

Some Taliban groups have sectarian agendas, especially against Shias and followers of Sufism. They are also well connected with global terrorist groups, such as Al Qaeda, which have even more dangerous agendas of destabilising or toppling the government and capturing territory.

Until 2004, the main focus of the Pakistani Taliban was on protecting foreign militants, recruiting for the war in Afghanistan, training the recruits, and securing their position against security operations. Their main strategic victory that made them a major player in the area, however, came after a tactical change in their operations: they began kidnapping security and other government officials in 2004.

Although suicide attacks on security forces that started in 2006 targeted the morale of the security forces, it was the kidnapping strategy that elevated the Taliban to a position where they could negotiate with the government on their terms and bargain for the release of captured militants as well.

The Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) has provided shelter to smaller groups working under the command of Mehsud militant commanders. Baitullah Mehsud had tried to unite all these groups under the banner of Mullah Omar, the Afghan Taliban’s supreme leader. Every group that wished to join the TTP had to

take an oath of allegiance to Omar and proclaim its commitment to the enforcement of Sharia.

Contrary to common perceptions, the Afghan and Pakistani Taliban groups are bound by ideological, ethnic and socio-political ties. The Pakistani Taliban are an imitation of the Afghan Taliban and their raison d’être is linked to their Afghan counterparts. If they detach themselves from the Afghan Taliban, they lose their justification to exist. In this context, the formation of the TTP in Pakistan was an important development which brought together scattered tribal Taliban groups and also other Pakistani militant groups, such as Lashkar-i-Jhangvi, and splinters of Kashmir-based groups.

The Taliban have remained resolute in pursuing their strategy of propaganda and ideological propagation. They are trying to appeal to the people in the name of religion and ethnicity, using a combination of temptations and threats to keep them from siding with the ‘enemy’. They are extremely intolerant of their ‘ideological enemies’, who can be classified into two broad categories: those people following and supporting practices the Taliban deem un-Islamic, and ‘infidels and their friends’.

In the current context, it would be difficult for the Taliban to modify the cause and propaganda strategies as they have marked clear ‘us-versus-them’ boundaries. It is now time for them to revise their arguments, which still appeal to fragmented segments of society. But they will not be able to reverse the narrative against them. Not only religious-political parties but also the new far right, the Difaa-i-Pakistan Council, seem to be on the defensive. These are the actors who transmit the Taliban’s narratives and serve as connections between the masses and the militants.

Obviously, the mainstream media is a new front for the Taliban, where they are fast losing sympathies. It is not the media’s war but a media war, where opinion leaders need to be well equipped with arguments. The dilemma with the electronic media is that political parties’ representatives have taken over the job of opinion leaders, and they lack clarity on the issue and perceive every issue through the prism of their political parties’ interest. They need to realise that in this new phase of insurgency arguments have more value than bullets.

DAWN

SIGNS of panic are evident in Pakistani Taliban ranks following the attack on Malala Yousufzai. They are clearly trying to recover from their biggest defeat on the propaganda front after the attack on the 14-year-old in Swat.

The damage was done by the initial claiming and justifying of the attack on Malala by the Taliban spokesperson. Subsequent mud-slinging by the Taliban has also seriously backfired. It may lead to fissures among the Taliban over their propaganda strategy, which had been proceeding largely smoothly, despite defeats on the military front. In the Malala case, there is a likelihood that the militants may launch indiscriminate attacks in frustration.

In recent years, the real strength of the militants belonging to most groups has been their ability to sell their cause; and through their propaganda strategies they have tried to counterbalance differences between the capabilities of the security forces and the militants. Their utmost weakness also lies in their strength — that they cannot tolerate any voice that challenges their cause or ideology. This is a common characteristic of major militant movements the world over.

The militants had carefully crafted a propaganda strategy, built around the cause of struggle against oppressive forces in Afghanistan and gradually expanded into the realm of the state system, the socio-cultural way of life and, most dangerously, in the sectarian domain.

The short-term goal of the Pakistani Taliban was to liberate Afghanistan from the US-led forces through ‘jihad’ and a secondary objective was to enforce a new social, political and economic order based on their ideology or interpretation of Islam. The long-term objective was to drive out the ‘infidel’ forces from all Muslim lands. The Taliban associate their identity with various Islamic and Islamist movements across the world and scoff at geographical boundaries of states.

An average Muslim may not disagree with this cause, and when the objectives include anti-imperialism people consider it a revolutionary movement. The Taliban have tactically manipulated their agenda. Religious political parties that are part of the mainstream electoral process and moderate Islamic scholars have struggled to counter the Taliban on the ideological front.

Apart from their well-defined ideological inspiration, the Taliban have got logistic support from international terrorist groups and used terrorism to achieve objectives which can be summarised as follows:

1. To destabilise the state’s security apparatus so that people look towards the Taliban for protection.

2. To force the government not to interfere in Taliban-controlled areas so that they can continue their activities unhindered.

3. To force the government to bring structural changes in laws or the constitution, or to bring a new system according to the Taliban agenda.

Some Taliban groups have sectarian agendas, especially against Shias and followers of Sufism. They are also well connected with global terrorist groups, such as Al Qaeda, which have even more dangerous agendas of destabilising or toppling the government and capturing territory.

Until 2004, the main focus of the Pakistani Taliban was on protecting foreign militants, recruiting for the war in Afghanistan, training the recruits, and securing their position against security operations. Their main strategic victory that made them a major player in the area, however, came after a tactical change in their operations: they began kidnapping security and other government officials in 2004.

Although suicide attacks on security forces that started in 2006 targeted the morale of the security forces, it was the kidnapping strategy that elevated the Taliban to a position where they could negotiate with the government on their terms and bargain for the release of captured militants as well.

The Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) has provided shelter to smaller groups working under the command of Mehsud militant commanders. Baitullah Mehsud had tried to unite all these groups under the banner of Mullah Omar, the Afghan Taliban’s supreme leader. Every group that wished to join the TTP had to

take an oath of allegiance to Omar and proclaim its commitment to the enforcement of Sharia.

Contrary to common perceptions, the Afghan and Pakistani Taliban groups are bound by ideological, ethnic and socio-political ties. The Pakistani Taliban are an imitation of the Afghan Taliban and their raison d’être is linked to their Afghan counterparts. If they detach themselves from the Afghan Taliban, they lose their justification to exist. In this context, the formation of the TTP in Pakistan was an important development which brought together scattered tribal Taliban groups and also other Pakistani militant groups, such as Lashkar-i-Jhangvi, and splinters of Kashmir-based groups.

The Taliban have remained resolute in pursuing their strategy of propaganda and ideological propagation. They are trying to appeal to the people in the name of religion and ethnicity, using a combination of temptations and threats to keep them from siding with the ‘enemy’. They are extremely intolerant of their ‘ideological enemies’, who can be classified into two broad categories: those people following and supporting practices the Taliban deem un-Islamic, and ‘infidels and their friends’.

In the current context, it would be difficult for the Taliban to modify the cause and propaganda strategies as they have marked clear ‘us-versus-them’ boundaries. It is now time for them to revise their arguments, which still appeal to fragmented segments of society. But they will not be able to reverse the narrative against them. Not only religious-political parties but also the new far right, the Difaa-i-Pakistan Council, seem to be on the defensive. These are the actors who transmit the Taliban’s narratives and serve as connections between the masses and the militants.

Obviously, the mainstream media is a new front for the Taliban, where they are fast losing sympathies. It is not the media’s war but a media war, where opinion leaders need to be well equipped with arguments. The dilemma with the electronic media is that political parties’ representatives have taken over the job of opinion leaders, and they lack clarity on the issue and perceive every issue through the prism of their political parties’ interest. They need to realise that in this new phase of insurgency arguments have more value than bullets.

Wait I thought they were a bunch of Hindus trained by Israel and USA in safe areas in Afghanistan to fight Pakistan?

What about the evidence of their penis being uncircumcised? Isn't that total proof that they are not Muslim?

Pakistan should do this. You guys have a strong military and the political will to break the islamic militants backs. The gloves have to come off these guys are killing your people and need to be dealt a lesson.

Back
Top Bottom