What's new

North Korea US Tension - News & Discussion

Cute trump

Ha ha. To be a major subject to every joke. That's why he is so cute. Bragging on "unmanned" Tomahawk missiles. Unpresidented.

Hope they did not lost the AC.

upload_2017-4-20_9-21-52.png

1031966041.jpg

US Navy Claims USS Carl Vinson Heading Toward North Korea, Again

22:05 19.04.2017(updated 03:26 20.04.2017)

After a potent mix of bad communication and general confusion concerning the whereabouts of the US Navy’s USS Carl Vinson, the commander of the group said via Facebook that the carrier will indeed extend its deployment to “provide a persistent presence” off the Korean Peninsula.

Last time the Pentagon said that, it was later discovered that the Vinson was near Indonesia, 3,500 miles away from its announced destination. Defense officials now tell US Naval Institute (USNI) News that the strike group may arrive in East Asia “sometime next week,” the outlet reported.

"We are sending an armada" to the Korean Peninsula, US President Donald Trump had said in an April 11 interview with Fox News Business. Trump did not detail the assets involved in this "armada," aside from US Navy submarines – presumably nuclear-armed Ohio-class subs – which he claimed are "far more powerful than the aircraft carrier."

Defense Secretary James Mattis echoed Trump the same day, saying that the Vinson was “on her way up there” to the Korean Peninsula, but four days later the aircraft carrier was photographed at the Sunda Strait between Malaysia and Indonesia.

While Trump talked up his saber-rattling tactics of sending the Vinson toward the Korean Peninsula to stare down Pyongyang, the carrier and its accompanying battleships were actually training with the Royal Australian Navy "off the northwest coast of Australia," US Pacific Command spokesman David Benham later told USNI.

The commander of Carrier Strike Group One, Rear Adm. Jim Kilby, said late Tuesday night that he had been authorized to provide information to sailors’ families and loved ones pertaining to the Vinson’s mission and whereabouts. :lol:

The deployment of the strike group has been extended another 30 days for a number of purposes; namely, to provide "flexible deterrent options, all domain access, and a visible forward presence," Kilby wrote.

Last Tuesday, White House spokesman claimed the Vinson would serve as a "huge" deterrence in the Korean Peninsula. On Wednesday, White House spokesman Sean Spicer struggled to patch together an explanation of the miscommunication error between the White House and the US Navy. A reporter pointed out that the aircraft carrier is currently en route to the Korean Peninsula, to which Spicer responded, "that’s not what we said. We said it was heading there. It was heading there. It is heading there."

The White House press corps did not follow up with further inquiries about miscommunications between the Pentagon and the White House.

@Jlaw , @terranMarine

u.s can only attack weak nations.They are not adaptive to go in war with strong nations direcly.They are actually not ready to face death due to lack of faith in oneness of ALLAH ALMIGHTY and due to their misdeeds.Faith is equally as necessary as weapons to fight any war.

Carl Vinson Carrier Strike Group Deployment Extended for Korea Presence Operations
By: Sam LaGrone
April 19, 2017 1:00 AM • Updated: April 19, 2017 7:02 AM

USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) transits the Indian Ocean on April 15, 2017. US Navy Photo

The deployment of Carl Vinson Carrier Strike Group has been extended by a month so the CSG can conduct presence operations off the coast of Korea, the commander of the strike group said late Tuesday in a message to his crew.

“Our deployment has been extended 30 days to provide a persistent presence in the waters off the Korean Peninsula,” wrote Rear Adm. Jim Kilby on the wall of the USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) Facebook page.
“Our mission is to reassure allies and our partners of our steadfast commitment to the Indo-Asia-Pacific region. We will continue to be the centerpiece of visible maritime deterrence, providing our national command authority with flexible deterrent options, all domain access, and a visible forward presence.”

A defense official told USNI News on Tuesday the strike group could be off of Korea by sometime next week.

Navy Times first reported Kilby’s notice on the extension late Tuesday.

The CSG completed an abbreviated exercise schedule off the coast of Western Australia ahead of an anticipated transit through the South China Sea earlier this week.

“The Strike Group was able to complete a curtailed period of previously scheduled training with Australia in international waters off the northwest coast of Australia,” U.S. Pacific Command spokesman Cmdr. David Benham told USNI News on Tuesday.
“The Carl Vinson Strike Group is heading north to the Western Pacific as a prudent measure.”

On April 8, PACOM commander Adm. Harry Harris ordered the strike group to skip a previously planned port call in Fremantle, Australia and accelerate at sea training with the Royal Australian Navy off of the western coast of the country to get the strike group to the vicinity of Korea faster.

A brief press statement issued as the ship left Singapore announced the cancellation of the port visit but did not include mention of the training with the RAN. The notice sparked press stories the CSG was steaming without delay to Korea assuming the move was to deter an anticipated North Korean missile or nuclear weapons test.

Pentagon leaders denied that was the case last week.

USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70) transits the South China Sea on April 8, 2017. US Navy Photo

“There’s not a specific demand signal or specific reason we’re sending her up there. She’s stationed in the Western Pacific for a reason,” Secretary of Defense James Mattis told reporters on April 11 in an attempt to clarify previous statements.
“She operates freely up and down the Pacific and she’s on her way up there because that’s where we thought it was most prudent to have her at this time.”

However, Mattis misspoke and said the training component of the CSG’s exercise with the RAN was canceled, which Pentagon officials corrected in a statement to USNI News shortly after Mattis’ remarks.

Additional unclear statements from the White House compounded the misconception the Vinson CSG was headed directly to the peninsula.

In an interview with Fox Business Network on April 12, President Donald Trump said the U.S. was, “sending an armada [to Korea]. Very powerful. We have submarines, very powerful, far more powerful than the aircraft carrier, that I can tell you.”

While the move of Vinson north has prompted additional attention, U.S. carriers off of Korea are not rare during a Western Pacific deployment.

The strike group has already operated off the Korean peninsula last month as part of the U.S.-South Korean Operation Foal Eagle 2017 exercise.

The Vinson Strike Group deployment is being overseen by U.S. Third Fleet based in San Diego, Calif. as a test of the Navy’s ability to command and control forces in the Western Pacific, reported USNI News earlier this year.

A member seeing red?

Mighty US Fleet Sent to Vanquish North Korea Sailed for Days in the Opposite Direction

Panic over North Korea was a massive, transparent hoax. Turn off your television and go for a walk

Riley Waggaman

We called it.

We knew that the panic over North Korea was a bunch of baloney. But we had no idea it was so transparently fraudulent.

It seems that our low expectations for Washington and the US media are not nearly low enough.

As AFP reports:

An aircraft carrier the US Navy said was steaming toward the Korean Peninsula amid rising tensions has not yet departed, a US defense official acknowledged Tuesday.

The Navy on April 8 said it was directing a naval strike group headed by the USS Carl Vinson supercarrier to "sail north," as a "prudent measure" to deter North Korea.

Pentagon chief Jim Mattis on April 11 said the Vinson was "on her way up" to the peninsula.

President Donald Trump the next day said: "We are sending an armada. Very powerful."

But a defense official told AFP Tuesday that the ships were still off the northwest coast of Australia. A Navy photograph showed the Vinson off Java over the weekend.

[...]

At the time of the strike group's deployment, many media outlets said the ships were steaming toward North Korea, when in fact they had temporarily headed in the opposite direction.

And the New York Times agrees:

bluff-lol.png

Your favorite website (Russia Insider, of course) called BS on this North Korea hysteria on Saturday. For those who doubted us, we will accept your apology in the form of a generous 10 ruble donation (0.0001 USD).

Here is what we wrote on Saturday:

Holy guacamole. Have you seen Twitter lately? We can't even find the latest drug-induced Louise Mensch outbursts in our "feed" — they've all been buried by a never-ending avalanche of 140-character hyperventilations about impending war with North Korea.

I have good news and bad news. Breaking from tradition: The good news first.

We're not going to war with North Korea. I say "we" because it doesn't matter what your nationality is — American, German, Eskimo — whatever invented power structure that makes you pay taxes is not going to "strike" North Korea.

And some more good news: North Korea is not going to "strike" anyone, preemptively or otherwise.

I hate to generalize so forgive me in advance, but during my short time on Earth I've noticed a familiar pattern: People ignore the real, everyday miseries that make life unbearable, like America's 20% child poverty rate, while delighting in every opportunity to stroke-out about abstractions and conjectures. Maybe it's a coping mechanism? Or maybe it's just more exciting to get swept away by visions of nuclear holocaust, as opposed to doing something with tangible benefits, such as reading a book or pruning your azaleas.

Yes, we've seen the "reports". China says war can come at any moment! Japan's Anime army is on high alert! A navy fleet is on its way (has already arrived?) to take up position off the coast of the Korean Peninsula.

And most concerning of all: Trump has already launched a salvo of provocative tweets. At least they're cheaper and more effective than anything Raytheon produces, right?

But allow me to repeat myself: We're not going to war with North Korea. And if you think we are, you're being played like a harp.

Now for the bad news: Governments, media, and other useless cartels of human scum are trying to whip you into a frenzy. Probably because it's good for television ratings and keeps many millions of people in a perpetual state of fear and anxiety. It's way easier to explain to the wage slaves why their children are malnourished if they're too afraid to care or make a fuss about it.

I'm not supposed to do this, but I'll let you in on a little industry secret: The media loves to scare the shit out of people. We love it! It's what we do best. It doesn't help anyone or anything, it often times creates a bogus sense of inevitability and doom, and it's great for ad revenue.

Don't fall for it. Turn off your iPhone 666 and go for a walk.

When was the last time you took your poor, diabetic dog for a walk? Put a leash on Fluffy and treat him to an ice cream cone. And make sure to get one for yourself, too — you've been awfully hard on yourself lately.

The internet is a powerful tool. But like any powerful tool, it can empower you, or make your life miserable.

You should of course read Russia Insider as often as humanly possible, and click on all of our annoying ads, but does anyone need to spend hours every day in a urine-stained corner, tweeting frantically about the End Times? Only if you're Louise Mensch or a member of her Al Nusra Twitter Front.

We are all human and we are all incredibly vulnerable and easy to manipulate. But as the great Kenneth Clark once said: Have confidence.

As Ken puts it:

At this point I reveal myself in my true colours, as a stick-in-the-mud. I hold a number of beliefs that have been repudiated by the liveliest intellects of our time. I believe that order is better than chaos, creation better than destruction. I prefer gentleness to violence, forgiveness to vendetta.

On the whole I think that knowledge is preferable to ignorance, and I am sure that human sympathy is more valuable than ideology. I believe that in spite of the recent triumphs of science, men haven't changed much in the last two thousand years; and in consequence we must still try to learn from history. History is ourselves.

I also hold one or two beliefs that are more difficult to put shortly. For example, I believe in courtesy, the ritual by which we avoid hurting other people's feelings by satisfying our own egos. And I think we should remember that we are part of a great whole. Which, for convenience, we call nature.

All living things are our brothers and sisters. Above all, I believe in the God-given genius of certain individuals, and I value a society that makes their existence possible.

Western civilization has been a series of rebirths. Surely this should give us confidence in ourselves. It's lack of confidence, more than anything else, that kills a civilization. We can destroy ourselves by cynicism and disillusion just as effectively as by bombs.

Have a peaceful, relaxing weekend. And don't forget to walk Fluffy.

Fake US Escalation With North Korea Blamed on 'Miscommunication'
It's all a distraction. Throw your television out the nearest window.

RI Editorial Board
6 hours ago | 1292 Comments

Sure.

We're still shocked by the level of laziness and cynicism that the media has shown over the last week as it attempts to scare the pants (trousers, for the crumpet-eaters) off every human with an electronic device.

We're still not going to war with North Korea, especially because the mighty US flotilla that everyone said was anchored off the coast of North Korea is actually 3,500 miles away.

It wasn't a navigational error. It was a hoax to keep you distracted, hopeless and glued to your television. Sorry?

As CNN reports:

As the White House was talking about sending a naval "armada" to the Korean Peninsula, the very ships in question were on their way to participate in military exercises in the Indian Ocean, some 3,500 miles in the opposite direction.

A senior administration official blamed a miscommunication between the Pentagon and the White House over reports that the aircraft carrier has not made its way to the Sea of Japan, also known as the East Sea, as an expected show of force to North Korea.

The official blamed the mixup on a lack of follow-up with commanders overseeing the movements of the USS Carl Vinson aircraft carrier.

Stop. Just stop. It's an aircraft carrier, not a dentist appointment. There's no way to "miscommunicate" where it will be, or when it will be there.

war.png

We've said it before and we'll say it again: We're being played. The North Korea "threat" is an extremely expensive, theatrical distraction.

Look, they even gave Mike Pence one of those dumb Members Only leather jackets to wear while he threatened North Korea on a boat near Indonesia:

pence.jpg

Enough already.

donald-trump-xi-jinping-reuters_650x400_71491527141_0-jpg.391700

@Jlaw , @terranMarine , @AndrewJin , @Chinese-Dragon , @Dungeness

RI Editorial Board

Sure.

We're still shocked by the level of laziness and cynicism that the media has shown over the last week as it attempts to scare the pants (trousers, for the crumpet-eaters) off every human with an electronic device.

We're still not going to war with North Korea, especially because the mighty US flotilla that everyone said was anchored off the coast of North Korea is actually 3,500 miles away.

It wasn't a navigational error. It was a hoax to keep you distracted, hopeless and glued to your television. Sorry?

As CNN reports:

As the White House was talking about sending a naval "armada" to the Korean Peninsula, the very ships in question were on their way to participate in military exercises in the Indian Ocean, some 3,500 miles in the opposite direction.

A senior administration official blamed a miscommunication between the Pentagon and the White House over reports that the aircraft carrier has not made its way to the Sea of Japan, also known as the East Sea, as an expected show of force to North Korea.

The official blamed the mixup on a lack of follow-up with commanders overseeing the movements of the USS Carl Vinson aircraft carrier.

Stop. Just stop. It's an aircraft carrier, not a dentist appointment. There's no way to "miscommunicate" where it will be, or when it will be there.

war.png

We've said it before and we'll say it again: We're being played. The North Korea "threat" is an extremely expensive, theatrical distraction.

Look, they even gave Mike Pence one of those dumb Members Only leather jackets to wear while he threatened North Korea on a boat near Indonesia:

pence.jpg

Enough already.

Is it a "miscommunication" or a "strategic deception"? One way or the other, NK's A-Bomb was defused, and now every party involved can breath a little easier, until next time.

I don't like Kim III, but I do have the high respect to this tiny country. Hey, at least their strategic missiles display was impressive, which made India's ICBM on Republic Day parade look like DIY project.

US tells North Korea: We don't want a fight, don't start one

EDITH M. LEDERER
Associated PressApril 20, 2017
e303aaab61c2478c9c6c811e736eabe9.jpg

FILE - In this Friday, April 7, 2017 file photo, United States ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley listens as Syria's Deputy U.N. Ambassador Mounzer Mounzer speaks during a Security Council meeting on the situation in Syria at United Nations headquarters. On Wednesday, April 19, 2017, Haley had a message for North Korea: "We're not trying to pick a fight so don't try and give us one." (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)
UNITED NATIONS (AP) — The U.S. ambassador to the United Nations had a message for North Korea on Wednesday: "We're not trying to pick a fight so don't try and give us one."

"The ball is in their court," Ambassador Nikki Haley told reporters. "They shouldn't try and play at this point."

Learn moreSyria And North KoreaNorth Korea U.S.Trump North KoreaPence North KoreaNorth Korea Threatens U.S. With Nuclear War
Haley's comments followed President Donald Trump's recent statement that the U.S. wants peace — and that how much North Korean ruler Kim Jong Un also wants peace will be a deciding factor in easing tensions between the two countries.

Trump has been pressuring China, North Korea's main benefactor, to help defuse the situation over North Korea's development of atomic weapons and long-range missiles but he has also warned that the U.S. will settle the issue alone if other countries won't help.

U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres told reporters the United Nations fully backs efforts of all states trying to ensure "that North Korea doesn't acquire the capacities that would become a threat, not only for the region but in a wider area of the world."

Tensions have escalated over North Korean moves to accelerate its arms programs, including developing an intercontinental ballistic missile that could reach the United States.

The North conducted two nuclear bomb tests and 24 ballistic missile tests last year, defying six Security Council sanctions resolutions banning any testing, and it has conducted additional missile tests this year, including one on Saturday that failed. Developing a hydrogen bomb is also a declared priority of North Korea, officially the Democratic People's Republic of Korea or DPRK.

Guterres singled out the countries "in the front line" of contacts with North Korea — the U.S., China, South Korea, Russia and Japan — and said everybody involved should "make sure that everything is done for the threat represented by the development in relation to missiles and in relation to the potential for nuclear capability not to become a threat to the international community."

North Korea, however, withdrew from the six-party talks aimed at the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula in 2009 and has shown no interest in returning.

Haley, the current president of the U.N. Security Council, said members were working on a statement condemning the latest failed missile launch.

Diplomats said the U.S.-drafted statement would strongly condemn the launch and express the council's "utmost concern" at North Korea's "highly destabilizing behavior and flagrant and provocative defiance" of council resolutions. It would also demand an immediate end to the North's nuclear and missile tests, threaten to take "further significant measures" — U.N. code for new sanctions — and state that North Korea's illegal activities "are greatly increasing tension in the region and beyond."

The diplomats, who agreed to discuss the statement only on condition of anonymity because consultations have been private, said China had signed off on it. But they said Russia objected because a sentence in the draft expressing the council's commitment "to a peaceful, diplomatic and political solution to the situation" dropped the words "through dialogue" that had been in previous statements.

Whether agreement can be reached on a statement remains to be seen.

North Korea will definitely be in the U.N. spotlight on April 28 when U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson presides at a Security Council meeting where Guterres will brief members on the North's nuclear program. The U.S. has invited foreign ministers from the 14 other council nations and many are expected to attend.

A concept paper circulated to council members ahead of the meeting states that North Korea's "pursuit of weapons of mass destruction represents one of the gravest threats to international peace and security the Security Council faces."

The paper, obtained by The Associated Press, says the North's latest actions "make clear that further international pressure is required for the DPRK to change its behavior if there is to be any hope for meaningful denuclearization talks to resume."

It says the meeting will give council members an opportunity to discuss ways to maximize the impact of existing U.N. sanctions "and show their resolve to respond to further provocations with significant new measures." Council members can also "recommit to implementing all existing and future sanctions to maximize pressure on the DPRK to return to meaningful negotiations on denuclearization," the paper says.
Its a first, US does not want to pick a fight. This is what deterrence provides. No matter the rhetoric, what matters is what the adversary can do and it seems us knows attacking NK will not be the same as Syria or Afghanistan. So now they are not looking for a fight lol.

Back room deal between Trump & China over North Korea?
Global Village Space |

M. K. Bhadrakumar |

A quarter of the way through TV programmes in the weekend on two leading Malayalam channels, it dawned on me that some woolly-headed local “strategic thinker” must have been spreading a yarn that World War III is in the offing because US President Donald Trump has abandoned his campaign pledges and has embraced the classic US imperialistic policies – and that the missile attack in Syria, the use of the ‘mother of all bombs’ in Afghanistan, and the war clouds over North Korea were all symptomatic of the Armageddon.

The formidable American armada, the Carl Vinson carrier strike force, apparently never really headed for North Korea! It was a charade!

Of course, I tried to reason by detailing empirical evidence that much of what is happening is due largely to the confusion prevailing in Washington under a president who is hopelessly besieged, and that things are in reality far from what meets the eye.

Read more: US Deep State is using “Trump” card to play the game it wants

So, today, I laughed uncontrollably when the American press reports started appearing that, after all, Trump’s show of force in the Far East was a contrived playact. The formidable American armada, the Carl Vinson carrier strike force, apparently never really headed for North Korea! It was a charade!

I had suspected all along that some back-room deal between the US and China was going on and that the pantomime was complex and, perhaps, beyond belief. The first cloud of suspicion arose when the Chinese commentaries began hinting vaguely that if both Pyongyang and Washington showed restraint, it was not coincidental but there would have been a mutual awareness that neither side would push the envelope. Of course, Chinese commentators will never acknowledge whether Beijing acted as a guarantor of sorts to Pyongyang that Trump has no intentions to attack North Korea or decapitate the Kim Jong-un regime.

The US economy is hardly in a position to start an imperial war anywhere on the planet and that Trump knows this better than anyone in America.

The Chinese and I are on the same page here, perhaps, being votaries of dialectical materialism. I too believe that the US economy is hardly in a position to start an imperial war anywhere on the planet and that Trump knows this better than anyone in America. Which only, after all, explains his consistent campaign pledge that much as he’d build up the US military as by far the most powerful war machine that man ever knew and would restore American prestige and influence worldwide, he will not be an interventionist and will use American power most sparingly, only if US interests are threatened – and, most important, that the core of his foreign-policy doctrine is “America First”, as distinct from his predecessor Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton’s.

Read more: China & U.S Alliance to restrain North Korea’s Nuclear ambition?

Now, let me reproduce the extracts from a Chinese commentary that appeared today in the Communist Party daily Global Times:

In the near future, the Trump administration will attach more importance to the economy, employment, and immigration than to diplomacy.

Most observers say that the Korean Peninsula is approaching the most volatile point, but the possibility of a war remains slim. There are signs that the US President Donald Trump would resort to a tougher Pyongyang policy than his predecessor… However, it will not act rashly… Trump will not forget the promise he made during the presidential campaign. Though he vigorously believes American foreign policy comes from its military might, to “make America great again” can in no way rely entirely on military prowess. In the near future, the Trump administration will attach more importance to the economy, employment, and immigration than to diplomacy… The new administration has made it clear that instead of seeking a regime change, it will put “maximum pressure” upon Pyongyang and calls for engagement with the North Korea regime, if and when it changes its behavior.

Read full article:

Back room deal between Trump & China over North Korea?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39628223

Have North Korea's missile tests paid off?
  • 20 April 2017
  • From the section Asia
_95578068_9bbb63e7-b940-426e-bd3d-d9edac51705d.jpg

North Korea displayed a lot of missiles - including big ones - at a bombastic military parade over the weekend. But what do we really know about Pyongyang's missile capabilities? Defence expert Melissa Hanham explains.

Kim Jong-un put on quite a show to mark the 105th anniversary of the birth of his grandfather Kim Il-sung, North Korea's founding leader. More new hardware was on display than ever before, including new inter-continental ballistic missiles (ICBMs).

To its domestic audience, it was a demonstration of technological might and prosperity. To outsiders it was a threat: be you near or far you will eventually be in range.

The Kim Jong-un years have seen increasingly frequent missile tests, all defying UN sanctions, but have they made any difference to the North's capabilities?

_95682751_df05b37c-80c3-4155-8ded-2dd9bf8d596c.jpg

Image copyrightREUTERS
Image captionKim Jong-un has made himself a major presence when monitoring missile launches

The birth of North Korea's missile programme
North Korea's ballistic missile programme grew out of one of the most widely proliferated missiles of all time: the Scud.

In 1979, then Egyptian President Anwar Sadat transferred a small number of the Soviet missiles to North Korea as part of a broader agreement to co-operate on missile technology.

North Korea then reverse-engineered the Scud and began producing and testing their own missiles, called Hwasong-6 and Hwasong-7.

_95456388_missiles.png

In time, they extended the range of the Scud and elongated the body to create a missile called the Nodong.

Eventually, North Korea began clustering those Nodong engines to create a staged space launch vehicle called the Unha-3, a rocket capable of carrying a payload outside the earth's atmosphere.

While the Scud family of missiles is not advanced, the missiles are reliable and relatively cheap to produce. The Nodong is nuclear-capable, and North Korea even exported it to Pakistan and Iran.

But there were other advances to be made.
Making missiles that can easily be hidden
More recently, North Korea reverse-engineered the Soviet R-27 submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) into a road-mobile missile that could hit US forces in Guam.

The missile, known as the Musudan, was displayed on military parades for years, but North Korea only started testing it in 2016.

_95456385_icbm_missiles_ranges_624.png

After six Musudan tests, there has only been one notable success, in June 2016.

But the incremental changes between each test are interesting to note. For example, after one of the failures damaged the transporter erector launcher (TEL) truck badly, North Korea sent out the next TEL with shielding over its wheels and chassis.

And, yes, this missile is probably nuclear-capable.

Nearly all of North Korea's missiles are road mobile. This means North Korea can keep the missiles continuously moving around the country on TELs. These trucks can be hidden in tunnels, warehouses, bunkers and caves. Constantly moving them and hiding them makes them harder to detect.

Missiles that can be launched from water
2016 was also an important year for submarine-launched ballistic missiles. After disastrous failures in 2015, North Korea began to make some progress on a missile known as the Pukguksong.

_95665676_bf40e792-0ead-4cb8-8741-e4f6cd3b6cfa.jpg

Image copyrightAFP
Image captionThe Pukguksong, one of North Korea's submarine-launched ballistic missiles, was displayed in the military parade

Using an underwater platform, North Korean engineers were previously able to achieve successful ejection of the missile but could not get the stage to light or achieve much range. After a test of a solid- (rather than liquid-) fuelled engine in April 2016, North Korea began to have increasingly successful SLBM tests.

These SLBMs are not nearly as worrying as the SLBMs that the US, Russia or China possess. They will remain unreliable unless testing continues. North Korea's submarines are also loud and easy to detect. So in many ways these missiles are more for domestic "prestige" than military use.

That being said, satellite imagery shows that North Korea is investing a lot in overhauling the submarine shipyard at Sinpo. So this is just the beginning of its programme.

The KN-17 (a label assigned by the US) shown in the most recent parade is also being tested near Sinpo. This land-based anti-ship ballistic missile has had two failures so far, but its message is that US, South Korean and Japanese ships should beware.

Missiles that use solid fuel
In February 2017, North Korea tested a land-based version of its solid-fuelled SLBM, called the Pukguksong-2, launching it from a canister on the back of a TEL.

North Korea traditionally relied on the same liquid fuel that Scuds used. This fuel is reliable and cheap, but it is corrosive and cannot be stored in the missile. This means that missile convoys have to travel with fuel and oxidizer trucks, making them larger and easier to spot from satellites. It also means the missile cannot be moved or stored while fuelled, so the launch process takes longer.

_95697941_9df75457-9ee3-49a1-bfad-7a15c4c6f522.jpg

Image copyrightREUTERS
Image captionThis is the land-based version of the SLBM, the Pukguksong-2, tested for the first time in February 2017. The trucks are interesting - they show North Korea is starting to make its own track-based trucks because it can't get wheeled chassis into the country

A truck will pull out of a tunnel, for example, erect the missile, the unit will fuel it and target it, and then launch.

However, solid fuel can generally be stored in the missile, shaving valuable time off a launch in a war scenario.

The parade showed that North Korea is committed to solid fuel by showing off two new possible solid fuel ICBMs in canisters.

The canisters may have been empty (why load a missile if nobody's going to see it?), but it's likely that this is a design concept that will evolve over several parades and component tests.

Developments since the start of 2016 have shown that North Korea is focusing not just on new missile technologies, but also on the actual deployment of the missile in the field.

_95689412_maybeicbm.jpg

Image copyrightREUTERS
Image captionThis is the second canister system. It is probably also a solid fuel ICBM. This truck was illicitly procured from China and made its first appearance in 2012 carrying the KN-08 missile.

In September 2016, North Korea launched a volley of three ballistic missiles. In March 2017, they launched four more. The simultaneous launch of several missiles means tracking and intercepting them is harder, and that also poses a challenge to Thaad, the controversial new ballistic missile defence system being deployed in South Korea.

So does North Korea have a long range missile?
The question that seems to fascinate Americans the most is whether North Korea can deploy a missile to reach US shores.

The main reason to have an ICBM is for a nuclear strike. There is little point in putting a conventional weapon on such a missile.

North Korea has paraded ICBMs since 2012, when they revealed not only a missile known as the KN-08, but an illicitly-procured Chinese truck as a TEL. The missiles were initially criticised as "fakes" but over time, improvements made them credible. The latest parade appeared to show two different solid fuel ICBMs in addition to a dramatically altered KN-08.

Outsiders have dismissed North Korea's ability for decades but should probably pay attention to a few key developments.

In 2015, North Korea responded by introducing an ICBM known as the KN-14. In 2016, its propaganda featured images and video of essentially all the components one would need for an ICBM.

_95294552_icbm_trajectories_624_v2.png

_95294550_icbm_missile_diagram_624_v2.png

First, North Korea released photos of Kim Jong-un standing between a KN-08 ICBM and a purported nuclear warhead that would fit in it. Second, North Korea simulated a heat shield test for a re-entry vehicle the same month - a key stage that distinguishes a space launch vehicle from an ICBM.

An ICBM leaves the Earth's atmosphere like a space launch vehicle but must return a warhead back through the atmosphere intact, so simulation helps make sure it can withstand the heat and pressure of re-entry.

In addition, North Korean engineers tested a remarkable re-engineering of the Soviet R-27 engine in order to double it and indications are that it has jumped to a more "energetic" fuel. That engine test in April 2016 showed a translucent pink-purple flame rather than the yellow flame analysts are used to seeing from Scud-based engines.

_95578065_5b0975a6-9267-4ca6-b9c8-277547ad81b9.jpg
Image copyrightREUTERS
Image captionKim Jong-un was shown apparently inspecting a warhead shield after a simulated re-entry test

If the flame colour does indicate more energetic fuel, then this ICBM puts not just Alaska and Hawaii at risk, but London and Washington DC too - by using a better fuel they can throw more weight farther.

So when will North Korea actually test an ICBM? The answer to that is, when it is good and ready to.

The two new solid fuel ICBMs seen on the parade are years away from testing. But high-level UK embassy defector Thae Yong-ho said Pyongyang aims to complete the development of one ICBM by the end of 2017 or early 2018. Testing and "completing" are two different things.

It seems likely North Korea will test the liquid fuelled KN-08 ICBM in this time frame since it is apparently closest to completion.

But it is also likely that it will fail multiple times before it can be deployed.

Melissa Hanham is a Senior Research Associate in the James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies in Monterey, California, USA.

Is it a "miscommunication" or a "strategic deception"? One way or the other, NK's A-Bomb was defused, and now every party involved can breath a little easier, until next time.

I don't like Kim III, but I do have the high respect to this tiny country. Hey, at least their strategic missiles display was impressive, which made India's ICBM on Republic Day parade look like DIY project.

Same here, not a fun of the power holders in the DPRK, but, I am against extra-regional destructive intervention because I do not see no practical benefits on part of us from the action of a near-mad government which is extra regional and thus has very little to lose.

Let this case be handled by those who have actually lots to lose from a potential escalation of violence in the Korean Peninsula.

Also let this case be handled by countries with much cleaner track record than that of the US. A frequent user of chemical weapons and a user of atomic weapons cannot dictate us how bad it is to acquire nuclear weapons.

Self-professed "mad dog" now appears to be silenced, but, you never know when it will go on attacking again.

RI Editorial Board

Sure.

As CNN reports:

war.png

pence.jpg

Enough already.

Near Korea or north pole we already know there's no war. US have been drawing lines on the sand quite often.

Same here, not a fun of the power holders in the DPRK, but, I am against extra-regional destructive intervention because I do not see no practical benefits on part of us from the action of a near-mad government which is extra regional and thus has very little to lose.

Let this case be handled by those who have actually lots to lose from a potential escalation of violence in the Korean Peninsula.

Also let this case be handled by countries with much cleaner track record than that of the US. A frequent user of chemical weapons and a user of atomic weapons cannot dictate us how bad it is to acquire nuclear weapons.

Self-professed "mad dog" now appears to be silenced, but, you never know when it will go on attacking again.

The alternative would be China annexing NK. Win-win win for all parties.

Will ‘Mother of All Bombs’ scare NK?
Source:Global Times Published: 2017/4/14

The US on Thursday dropped the "Mother of All Bombs" - the most powerful nonnuclear bomb used by the US so far - on an Islamic State cave complex in Afghanistan.

Trump said Thursday that the mission was "very successful" and that he does not know whether the bomb will send a message to North Korea.

In less than three months since Trump's inauguration, the US military has launched at least two strikes that grabbed the world's attention, the first being the airstrike on a Syrian airfield, and the second being the use of "Mother of All Bombs" in Afghanistan. Trump uses military force more aggressively than Barack Obama. He has demonstrated a certain level of obsession and pride toward US military prowess.

Even for George W. Bush, who fought two wars during his presidency, every attack had to go through lengthy procedures, and starts of war had been widely expected. However, the two recent attacks came rather abruptly. With this frequency and speed in use of force, Trump may go down in history as the "war president."

"Mother of All Bombs" is a vicious weapon that consumes a large amount of oxygen during explosion. Because of its devastative capability, the actual probability of hurting the civilians is very high. The US in the past has killed and injured civilians in its attacks in Iraq and Afghanistan. The use of "Mother of All Bombs" showed Washington is turning a blind eye on civilian casualties.

This bombing is clearly aimed at testing the weapon in real combat and provides a new gimmick in US military deterrence. North Korea must have felt the shock wave traveling all the way from Afghanistan. It would be nice if the bomb could frighten Pyongyang but its actual impact may just be the opposite.

Pyongyang's logic in the recent years has been that, without nuclear weapons, what happened to Saddam and Gaddafi would befall its own administration. The "Mother of All Bombs" may once again misguide Pyongyang, leading it to believe that it is crucial to upgrade its explosives.

It's been widely speculated that North Korea is preparing for its sixth nuclear test and its leader Kim Jong-un is weighing his options. The message sent by the US military is not conducive to helping Pyongyang make a reasonable decision.

It has been reported that Russia owns a similar device called the "father of all bombs." Imagine how the US and the West would react if Russia drops that bomb on the Islamic State during its Syrian airstrikes.

The US seems to enjoy a privilege to do whatever it likes. To the world, this could bring more danger than security.

@vostok , @Chinese-Dragon , @Jlaw , @ahojunk

It seems that this bomb has scared the US forces so much they have started heading towards Australia instead of NK.

War with North Korea ‘IS coming and the US should launch a FULL-SCALE ATTACK’, says expert
THE US “must plan to destroy” North Korea in a war within “the next two years”, an International Security expert has claimed.
By Thomas Hunt
PUBLISHED: 02:23, Thu, Apr 20, 2017 | UPDATED: 07:09, Thu, Apr 20, 2017

George H Wittman, founder of the National Institute for Public Policy, believes diplomatic discussions with Kim Jong-un will not work and it is time for a “full-scale offensive”.

He said: “Barring a complete reversal of Mr Kim’s current behaviour, the United States must plan to destroy North Korea’s nuclear and long-range missile sites sometime in the next several years — and perhaps within the next two.

Donald-Trump-Kim-Jong-un-North-Korea-War-missiles-nuclear-Mike-Pence-Paul-Ryan-china-794064.jpg
GETTY

A leading expert has warned that war with North Korea will happen
Related articles
United States must prevent such an event by launching, simultaneously with the initial attack on the North Korean nuclear and ICBM facilities

George H Wittman, Security expert

“It must be expected that the American action would trigger the North Korean military to instinctively launch a full-scale retaliatory strike against the Republic of Korea (ROK).

“With that as a given, the United States must prevent such an event by launching, simultaneously with the initial attack on the North Korean nuclear and ICBM facilities, a full-scale offensive against the North’s positions along the DMZ.

North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un (R) attending a military parade in Pyongyang marking the 105th anniversary of the birth of late North Korean leader Kim Il-Sung

“There can be no delay in this US-ROK offence, for it is essential to preclude North Korea’s own counteroffensive against the South.”

The shocking statement follows weeks of escalating pressure in the region, with the US Vice President Mike Pence recently announcing the slightest attack will be “met with an overwhelming response”.

China test missile guided destroyer in waters near North Korea

The House of Representatives Speaker Paul Ryan declared that “all options are on the table” over the possibility of bombing North Korea.

Mr Wittman dismissed the thought that the despotic leader is only grandstanding to deter any threats to his rule.

Donald-Trump-Kim-Jong-un-North-Korea-War-missiles-nuclear-Mike-Pence-Paul-Ryan-china-906057.jpg
GETTY

Pence recently visited the de-militarised zone between North and South Korea
Writing in a newspaper article, he added: “That reasoning certainly hasn’t been his motivation for executing scores of ranking officers and political personalities who tended to disagree with him, including his uncle-in-law, originally thought of as his mentor.”

China has been a long time ally of despot Kim, but recently called for both Washington and Pyongyang to control the situation.

Donald-Trump-Kim-Jong-un-North-Korea-War-missiles-nuclear-Mike-Pence-Paul-Ryan-china-906058.jpg
GETTY

Ryan has reiterated the White House by saying all options are considered
And the friendship has been put even more at risk after thousands of Chinese troops were recently filmed heading to North Korea’s border.

Now, their navy’s Xining warship - unveiled in January and boasting a huge arsenal of deadly weapons - has launched its missiles for the first time in the Yellow Sea.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world...r-missiles-nuclear-Mike-Pence-Paul-Ryan-china

Trump’s Got a Mega-Bomb Designed to Hit North Korea

The Massive Ordnance Penetrator (MOP) makes a MOAB look like an M-80. Carried in stealth bombers, it’s custom-made to blow up Pyongyang’s very deep underground facilities.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...n-nuke-bomb-designed-just-to-hit-n-korea.html

49753814.cached.jpg

Photo Illustration by The Daily Beast

Forget the U.S. Navy aircraft carrier that President Donald Trump claimed, wrongly, was steaming toward North Korea to punish Kim Jong Un’s regime for apparently testing a nuclear-capable ballistic missile last Saturday.

Forget the U.S. Marine Corps F-35 stealth fighters that practiced bombing runs on the Korean Peninsula in late March. Forget the contingent of U.S. Army soldiers—part of the 29,000-strong American ground force in South Korea—that Vice President Mike Pence visited Sunday, just a day after Pyongyang’s latest missile test failed.

No, if the United States seriously intends to punish North Korea for continuing to develop nuclear warheads and the rockets to deliver them, then the punitive blow will likely come from Missouri.

That is, in the form of stealth bombers carrying America’s biggest non-nuclear bombs.

Not the 11-ton Massive Ordnance Air Blast (MOAB) fuel-air bomb that U.S. forces dropped on suspected ISIS positions in eastern Afghanistan on April 13. Rather, an even bigger munition.

Since the 1990s, the U.S. government has been preparing to attack North Korea’s most heavily protected military facilities, specifically in order to slow or halt Pyongyang’s nuclear program.

The American plan involves long-range, radar-evading stealth bombers hauling gigantic, earth-penetrating bombs. The scheme began in the mid-1990s, as President Bill Clinton and hawkish Republican lawmakers sparred over a nascent nuclear pact with the reclusive North Korean regime.

The plan advanced further in the early 2000s under President George W. Bush’s policy of pre-emptive military strikes—the same policy that mired the United States in Iraq for, so far, 14 years of grinding warfare.

In the early 1990s, North Korea was not yet a nuclear power—but it certainly possessed the potential to become one. The Clinton administration aimed to head off Pyongyang’s atomic ambitions and by some accounts an attack was imminent, at the risk of an enormous casualty count, until former President Jimmy Carter stepped in and offered another remedy by diplomatic means.

In early 1994, the U.S. State Department signed the “Agreed Framework” with North Korea. The deal was simple. Pyongyang would suspend development of weapons-grade nuclear reactors if, in exchange, Washington helped the impoverished country build nuclear reactors that weren’t weapons-grade.

The Bush administration labeled the framework “appeasement” and, by 2004, had abandoned it.

Two years later, North Korea triggered its first nuclear test blast.

Under Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney, the Pentagon hewed to a policy of preemption. In November 2001, just a few weeks after the 9/11 terror attacks, Cheney announced that if there was even a 1 percent chance that a threat was real, “we have to treat it as a certainty in terms of our response.”

Cheney’s 1-percent doctrine drove the United States to war with Iraq over that country’s purported—and to this day unsubstantiated—efforts to field weapons of mass destruction. The doctrine shaped America’s approach to North Korea, as well.

In mid-2002, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld directed the Pentagon to rewrite its plan for war with North Korea—OPLAN 5027—to allow for preemptive air raids on Pyongyang’s nuclear facilities.

But the North Korean regime had been busily burying its most important military sites. Starting in the 1960s, Pyongyang constructed as many as 8,000 underground facilities, Maj. Park Sung-man, a South Korean military officer, told wire service UPI in 2015. Park claimed he got those numbers from a U.S. source.

Under Bush, the U.S. armed forces lacked the means to destroy the deepest facilities. During the 1991 Gulf War, the military had rushed production of 5,000-pound bunker-busting bombs capable of punching through 100 feet of earth or 20 feet or concrete. A few years later, the Pentagon developed 2,000-pound bombs that it concluded were 25 percent more effective against underground sites. More than a decade later, these two munitions remained America’s best weapons for destroying North Korea’s underground military infrastructure.

“Neutralization of an underground facility... is a formidable task,” Air Force Col. Russell Hart wrote in a 2012 paper. To collapse the most “hardened” subterranean facilities, the Defense Department determined that it would need to skip a 10- to 15-ton bomb into a tunnel entrance in order to blow through the door and send a shock wave into the site.

The Bush administration considered fielding a “Robust Nuclear Earth Penetrator”—in essence, a tactical nuclear weapon with a harder-than-usual shell that could burrow deeper into the ground than other atomic bombs. The Union of Concerned Scientists concluded that the RNEP could “produce tremendous radioactive fallout.”

Congress balked at preemptively nuking North Korea’s nukes. Lawmakers wanted a non-nuclear alternative. In 2004, the Pentagon began development of the Massive Ordnance Penetrator, a 15-ton conventional bomb specifically designed to collapse all but the deepest buried facilities in Iran and North Korea.

MOP was ready for combat in 2011. Each of the Air Force’s 20 B-2 stealth bombers based at Whiteman Air Force Base in Missouri can carry two of the 21-foot-long munitions. So, forget carriers, stealth fighters, and ground troops. The B-2s and the massive bombs are, at present, America’s only non-nuclear options for destroying Pyongyang’s best-protected weapons sites.

Also ignore Trump when he threatens to send a naval armada toward Pyongyang. Disregard Pence as he inspects Army formations along the Korean Demilitarized Zone. If you want to know if, and when, the United States intends to attack North Korea, look to Missouri—and stealth bombers hauling massive, ground-penetrating bombs.

Back
Top Bottom