What's new

North Korea Defence Forum

You are right. Its double standards by me. But the situation is different. I want my nation safe and i belieev supporting Kim will bring china in danger. He is crazy. The chinese government knows this. Supporting this crazy psycho is dangerous

I think China views the situation differently. From a broader geopolitical vantage point.

A volatile situation can be managed to one's advantage.

He is crazy by whose standards? In my opinion, Obama's extrajudicial drone assassinations in Pakistan, Yemen Somalia etc. renders him a crazier person than Kim.

At least, DPRK has yet to invade a country in its entire history.

What is crazy? Again, it is all relative, not moral.

Does china have any plans what to do when this thing collapses? I guess millions will try to cross into china then?

I am not sure what China plans to do. I can only speculate as a researcher. In my opinion, the "on-the-brink-of-nuclear-capability" is less preferable and less stable than "has achieved nuclear capability" situation.

At least, now, we can rule out certain factors such as a US led strike, because then, DPRK would simply retaliate against all US interests it has in its reach.

Just as Japan, perhaps involuntarily, helped drive off colonialism in East Asia when it was engaged in its own colonization, maybe, DPRK's engagement with the US will have a similar positive externality.

They are working on a better background music

Since this flick was made in 1970 you can imagine what advance stuff they must be doing now in 2016

By the way out of curiosity , since North Korea is a sovereign state , why should anyone care about their own defensive weapons

I thought Obama had a deal with North Korea did Obama back out of that deal as well ?
These guys are very tough, both mentally and physically, but mostly ideologically.. some of their best martial artists masters have died in special operations inside SKR, these guys fight to the death literally,, they do not surrender..
you'll be very surprised of the strength of NKR armed forces, they are the most dugged-in army with underground bases and tunnels crisscrossing the whole country and very well armed..

Thanks to Pakistan for making it possible that poor nation can also build nuclear bomb

Whereas in reality:
1. The US presence in ROK is to deter DPRK. The status quo will be held until DPRK is sufficiently sensible as to eliminate any US rationale for staying there.
2. A ROK-DPRK treaty in the short run is out of the question.
3. The Chinese will very much wish to interfere with whatever government is situated south of their border.

Are you a secondary account of Gambit?

I despise the Fat Kims, however even at their worst they never used nuclear weapons on anyone, and they haven't been invading countries left and right like your beloved USA.

Just comparing the two, is in fact an insult to the Fat Kims, as bad as they are.

Gosh another n-test by NK.
Fatty Kim the Third is even more fanatical than his dad and grandpa. He is showing the middle finger to all world powers. Sanctions seem to have no effect on his regime.
He is just 32. The world will have to bear his rhetoric for decades to come.

China firmly opposes DPRK nuclear test
2016-09-09 13:27 | Xinhua | Editor: Xu Shanshan

China's foreign ministry issued a statement on Friday, expressing firm opposition to the nuclear test by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK).

"Today the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, regardless of universal opposition from the international community, conducted another nuclear test, to which the Chinese government is firmly opposed," said the statement.

The DPRK state-run television reported earlier Friday that the country has conducted a nuclear warhead explosion test. It is Pyongyang's fifth nuclear test, and comes eight months after the last one.

"We strongly urge the DPRK side to honor the commitment to denuclearization, abide by the relevant UN security council resolutions and halt any moves that could aggravate the situations," according to the statement.

North Korea hails 'successful' nuclear test

Pyongyang says it carried out "nuclear warhead explosion", in latest test roundly condemned by its opponents.

• The USGS said the explosion was detected at 9:30am local time at the surface. Its epicentre was 18km northeast of Sungjibaegam, the USGS said.

Tariq Rauf, head of the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute's disarmament programme, told Al Jazeera: "North Korea is the only country carrying out nuclear tests in the 21st century. That in and of itself is a problem issue.

"On the other hand, there are also provocations from North Korea's point of view. US and South Korean military exercises are becoming larger and more aggressive."

'Fanatic recklessness'
    South Korean President Park Geun-hye called the test an act of "fanatic recklessness" in clear violation of UN Security Council resolutions.

US President Barack Obama and Park spoke by telephone about the event, South Korea's presidential office said. The 15-minute conversation took place as the US leader was on Air Force One returning to the US from a regional summit in Laos, according to the South Korean presidential office.

Obama said any provocative actions by North Korea would have "serious consequences", reiterating a US commitment to the security of its allies in Asia and around the world.

Japan's chief government spokesman said that Tokyo would consider further unilateral sanctions against North Korea.

READ MORE: North Korea says US sanctions are 'an act of war'

"North Korea's nuclear development is a grave threat to Japan's safety," Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga told a news conference.

China "firmly opposes" the test, the foreign ministry of Pyongyang's main diplomatic ally said.

"Today, the DPRK again conducted a nuclear test despite widespread international opposition - the Chinese government firmly opposes this," the ministry in Beijing said in a statement on its website, using the North's official name.

Al Jazeera's Adrian Brown, reporting from Beijing, said: "[The test is] a reminder of Beijing's impotence to try and bring North Korea to heel. Nothing China has so far said has had any effect on the North."

There was no indication that North Korea's nuclear test resulted in higher radiation levels in Russia's Far East, Russian news agencies cited Anna Popova, the head of Russia's consumer safety watchdog Rospotrebnadzor, as saying on Friday.

Russia's foreign ministry warned all sides against any escalation. Germany said it would likely summon the North Korean ambassador to Berlin.

Analysis from Al Jazeera's Harry Fawcett, reporting from Seoul.

"In the wake of this test, there have been very strong words from South Korea but those kinds of strong words from the South or the UN Security Council or anyone else have so far done nothing to slow down what has been going on under the leadership of Kim Jong-un.

Here in Seoul, we've heard from defence sources who say this was likely to have been a 10 kiloton-test.

But two tests in the same year tells us this is an accelerated programme under the leadership of Kim Jong-un. He has written into the constitution of the country this dual-pronged economic development and the pursuit of a viable nuclear deterrent - that is clearly what he wants to do.

There has been a great deal of long-range rocket and missile testing - just this year we have seen the Musudan missile tested for the first time. At the end of August, we saw a submarine-launched ballistic missile.

Kim is getting to the point where he has what he wants, which is a diversified means of carrying a nuclear warhead.

That would be a major deterrent, in the North Korean leadership's view, of any kind of forced regime change upon them. Obviously, the North Koreans think this is critical to the survival of the regime, and they have upped the stakes and increased the pace of their nuclear development."
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/09/north-korea-earthquake-nuclear-test-160909031720481.html

It is funny how much less attention North Korean nuke tests get...
Any idea about the yield?

I'm impressed by the fact that america is so afraid of North Korea. Anyway it's amazing to see that North Korea remains defiant even with the amount of sanctions designed to hinder it's growth, congratulations to my North Korean brothers for their successfull nuclear test!

Are you a secondary account of Gambit?

I despise the Fat Kims, however even at their worst they never used nuclear weapons on anyone, and they haven't been invading countries left and right like your beloved USA.

Just comparing the two, is in fact an insult to the Fat Kims, as bad as they are.

Trump himself (the likely president of the US) said that Obama and Hillary founded the abomination called the ISIS.

I do not think the DPRK can do as much disservice to the world as the US government has done over the past five years -- post-Arab Spring (If we disregard the near past prior to 2011).

Also, like you say, the US used two atomic bombs on a country on the brink of surrender just because they attacked and killed some soldiers on the US island of Hawaii.

The DPRK did not show any abject belligerence against anybody while facing the worst possible threats and pressures.

That tells a lot about the nature of the two countries.

Just because one side has a sophisticated media arm of the regime to propagate and shape opinions does not make them any more righteous or ethical when it is subject to historical scrutiny.

DPRK government might be (and is) a totalitarian system, but, nonetheless, it is not an aggressive one. Building weapons for defense is no belligerance.

Last edited:
Time for THAAD in SK

Which will make SK a more legitimate target for China or Russia in an unlikely case of a major crisis with the US.

Actually, the development will make SK to think twice because no defence can assure 100% protection. Besides, the purported location of the THAAD does not even provide coverage for Seoul.

The SK government can now pack up and move to the US East Coast, which is safer.

Back
Top Bottom