What's new

No Pakistani selected at IPL auction!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As SHAHRUKHKHAN, PREETY ZINTA, AMBANI, LALIT MODI, and company purely looser and im sure noone of them going to win the trophy for sure it will be again a team who has nothing to loose

The new concept is unlikely to find favour with many of the franchises © Associated Press

Related Links
News : Franchises fine-tune plans before auction
News : 66 overseas players in final IPL auction list

Series/Tournaments: Indian Premier League

An important question ahead of Tuesday's IPL auction is: If there are equal bids for a player, how do you break the deadlock? After weeks of uncertainty, the league has finally devised a 'silent tiebreaker bid' that, according to the organisers, would end the impasse. The proposal, though, has met with objections from various franchises.

The method may be used in a scenario where a player has attracted the maximum bid - each franchise has a cap of US$750,000 in total to spend at the auction - from more than one franchise. The franchises would then have to put in a separate, additional bid - to which there will be no cap - to break the tie. Whoever submits the higher additional bid will get the player. However, the controversial part is that the additional amount would go to the IPL and not the player.

To simplify the new rule: take an example where two teams are bidding for a player at $750,000. Both would then be asked to submit a fresh bid. In case one of the two submits a new bid of $800,000, the player still receives $750,000 and the additional $50,000 goes to the IPL.

Understandably, the franchises are reluctant to shell out more money, especially when they know the investment would last only till the end of the year. The proposal was suggested to the franchises on Saturday but most of them objected because they strictly do not want to spend more than the $750,000 purse available to them for the auction on January 19.

"Most of the franchises are not at all happy with it and objected to the proposal on the basic principle that the sanctity of the purse must be protected," a franchise official told Cricinfo.

His suggestion, echoed by few other franchises, to resolve the issue was there should be a lucky draw. "If there are equal competing bids, then you draw lots".

However, Lalit Modi, on his Twitter page made it clear that the tie-breaker rule "will be enforced". "It's part of the 2010 IPL auction rules, so anyone not agreeing is a non-issue."
Nagraj Gollapudi is an assistant editor at Cricinfo

Feeds: Nagraj Gollapudi Comments: 18 Email

ShareThisShare Email Feedback Print

+ Add comments Login/Register to post comments | Read all 18 comments

Posted by Murtaza83 on (January 19 2010, 08:46 AM GMT)
Quite ridiculous here, Modi is on a crazy power trip. Everyone can see whats happening here and modi knows theres nothing we can do about it. Really, someone needs to take a stand here. I've been following the auction too, no Pakistani players picked. I cant take that to be a coincidence. You cant tell me that no one wants to pick either of the two best bowlers (gul and afridi) in the short history of this format but are ready to shell out $610,000 for wayne parnell.

Posted by Edassery on (January 19 2010, 08:42 AM GMT)
That additional bid money must be going to Modi himself... As per the latest advanced tax paid list, he is the highest individual tax payer in India - thanks to IPL.

Posted by dibbu on (January 19 2010, 06:44 AM GMT)
players need to unionize, asap.

Posted by sahil_cricrazy on (January 18 2010, 19:06 PM GMT)
BCCI is a shameless body which can to ny extent for the sake of money and uses it's power and clout in an unaccountable manner.I remember once over a broadcasting dispute BCCI put across the argument that it's the BCCI for whom the players are playing not for INDIA....utterly shameless and greedy vultures.The treatment it meted out to the great Kapil who while receiving ' Indian Cricketer of the Century' award said that he's played for INDIA not for the BCCI gives a slap on BCCI's face.But ofcourse they are taking as much advantage they can take us of our passion for cricket as they can and filling their coffers.Instead of cricketers politicians are running the game because they are attracted by immnense money in the game and making a hey while the sun is shining....

Posted by anObserver on (January 18 2010, 19:01 PM GMT)
It is the right of the player to get the extra money being spent by franchise on his buy out in the auction process. The rules like this to make the money higher than the maximum level to go to IPL's sponserers is a dirty trick to earn more money by modi and company and should be stopped at once.

Posted by CricketisMyPassion on (January 18 2010, 18:53 PM GMT)
If they insist on the bid to break the deadlock which in itself is fair and at teh same time not let the highest price to the player (inexplicable!) let the extra money go to the Indian non-Test players! Someone has suggested tl let teh player himself decide - thats a good suggestion - but I dont see how any player wd want to make such a choice and spoil his PR image!

Posted by justincredible29 on (January 18 2010, 11:33 AM GMT)
Only in India can an organisation holding millions of "auction" money be termed a charitable organisation.And all charitable organisations must have their earnings/ expenses in the public domain. I have been told that in India 85 pct of the income earned by these charitable organisations have to be spent in the same year on the aims & objects of the organisation and the balance 15 pct within 5 years. If the bids are over 750k then the player together with a representative of the franchisee should be the ones deciding how this extra money should be spent- see how Steve Waugh has started a Trust in Kolkutta and other players have also done so- Mr Modi & Co must not have anything to do with this extra money. 50K USD will go a long way to help the poor n the suffering in India where the poor are becoming poorer which the rich are becoming richer. Is this not a suggestion worth considering by the Franchisees.

Posted by segarmv on (January 18 2010, 11:02 AM GMT)
this is rubbish,lalit modi is making a mockery out of the game,the stars and now the franchises,who would be happy to give that bid amount to modi for free,just for his own benefits modi is starting to dictate terms now...

Posted by fbd11 on (January 18 2010, 10:45 AM GMT)
What next? Will this lead to Modi taking a cut from all the players salaries? Modi is a businessman who has to keep expanding his business model to include more income streams. He is compulsive about it. The IPL players should form a union straightaway.

Posted by Xtermin8 on (January 18 2010, 07:05 AM GMT)
This is the strangest thing I have ever heard, but after all this is India and it is the IPL. It almost sounds like a legal "bribe to the IPL" might as well call it a "silent bribe" :) Lets face it, if the bids are locked at 750k, and a tie breaker bid to end the dead lock, would sound a little rational, almost like negotiating blindly where the franchises final bid, really prices the player based on how much they really want them. But as soon as you ask for the higher bid to go into the administrators (IPL) pockets, that sounds like some sort of a black market dealing for the player, and gives the sentiments the player is not what is valued any more, if they ever were valued that is, given the fact they are auctions like some piece meat in the first place. Such great marketing potential is this great game of cricket, sad it is not being treated the same way.

Enough of this nonsense, height of mismanagement. Why can't they apply for visa first and then bid. It's time that we do take some positive to create better atmosphere between two countries, I am fed up of this hatred.

IPL's not to blame its the government, IPL's only concerned with printing money and whats the point of investing money on players that might not be able to play due to visa issues.

and i must thank to IPL that it makes pakistan more powerfull team in T 20 IPL reorginize pakistani players and make rusty indian players as in worldcup dhoni said that IPL is responsible for downfall of india and it will happen again

bud, we do not care .. you are talkin abt an event whose viewership is next only to the football worldcup and may be olympics . no wonder t20 world cup in england was such a drab event . anyways , when the IPL is on, the buzz here is irresistable . i frankly dont care about the worldcup anymore... for me iplt20 is THE the numero uno event .the vibrancy in the air and the whole razmataz brings out the best in all the evenly matched competing teams.

hahahah u dont care worldcup what a nonesence statement but it your on decision but world cup is something which never comes easily as ur ipl comes every year

I'd not blame the PCB as much as I would blame the players for their interest in IPL. All things said and done, IPL means big money for the players as well. That's why Peitersen and Flintoff were whining after the first edition that they weren't allowed a longer stint in IPL due to their national commitments. So in all probability its the Pakistani players that might be pressurizing PCB to allow them to play in IPL.

I agree, but some matters precede monetary gains and hence the responsibility of PCB as a governing authority to pre-empt such situations.

STRANGE BLACK OUT AT Indian Premier League 2010

The biggest surprise was the fact that not a single Pakistan player was signed up by any of the franchises.

Most of Pakistan's World Twenty20-winning team was up for auction - including Shahid Afridi, the captain, Mohammad Aamer, Umar Gul and Umar Akmal -
but they failed to fetch bids.
The blackout was strange given that the names had been placed on the auction list by franchises expressing an interest in the players.

Pakistani still think that India is good........................................... :sniper:

http://www.cricinfo.com/ipl2010/content/cu...ory/445020.html

A one liner answer:

Having Pakistani Players in IPL teams did not make business sense to franchises.....

My assessment is that a special deal will be worked out to allow some of the pakistani players to participate..Its a hunch and I am going out on a limb to put it here..

A one liner answer:

Having Pakistani Players in IPL teams did not make business sense to franchises.....

If that was true they would not have he names in the firs place??

nyways theres another thread on this, so mods plz merge the threads.

If that was true they would not have he names in the firs place??

nyways theres another thread on this, so mods plz merge the threads.

If it was true?....

This is the only reason...who would like to block money on a player ...who may not play for the Team...for any reason...remember Shoaib Akthar.....did not play even in half of matches ...and franchisee paid huge amount for him.....what if there are more issues ..this time and Pakistani players can not play...its franchisees loss....

Being on sale does not mean you would be bought....its a buyers choice ...itf he wants you or not.

hahahah u dont care worldcup what a nonesence statement but it your on decision but world cup is something which never comes easily as ur ipl comes every year

who says the worldcup doesn't come every year.. it is not even a year since you guys won the cup and it is scheduled to be held again in not so distant future. so mate get your facts right.. and it speaks volume for an event ,which comes every year, to have that kinda viewership.. cmon give it where its due.

My assessment is that a special deal will be worked out to allow some of the pakistani players to participate..Its a hunch and I am going out on a limb to put it here..

I highly doubt that. All the teams have fixed no. of spots and all the spots are filled now. Only 13 out of 67 players were taken today, so a large no of players did not get a contract, it's not that only Pakistanis did not get. So I don't think there will be any special deal.

As for today's auction I am disappointed to see no Pakistani players being selected and at-least 3 of them deserved a contract. But then we have to realize that for the franchises IPL is pure business. We all know that there was no bias what so ever in the first season and then happened Mumbai and tension between the countries increased. Then in the second season it was actually Pakistani Govt. that barred the players from playing in IPL.

Pakistan blocks its players from IPL | Cricket News | Indian Premier League 2009 | Cricinfo.com

The teams having Pakistani players suffered in the second season, I think KKR being the most affected team. So why would anyone go for a player which has an uncertainty of playing with the relations between India and Pakistan still being volatile. It was unfortunate for the Pakistani players as they missed their share of $$$, but we can't really blame the team owners for this. It is the situation that to be blamed.

IPL are politicising the sport ... its a loss for them ...... ! This act will hurt IPL's repo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom