What's new

NO NEGATIVE NEWS- China blocks use of unverified web news

Last month some guy posted in his blog that J-10B prototype crashed and that the pilot was killed. The rumour spread like a wild fire and even some Western media picked up on it. Of course it turned out to be fake in the end, and the guy that originally posted the rumour on his blog was fired from his job at a military magazine.

In another example, after a bombing in central China, a guy posted on blog claiming responsibility. He stated that the Jasmine Revolution in China had begun, and more bombings will occur. The police tracked him to his home and arrested him. It turned out he wasn't the bomber, just some loser looking for attention. His defence was that he was protected by freedom of speech. He was jailed for 6 months.

I fully believe the right to freedom of expression and free media. If you have read my previous posts, I am one of the biggest anti-communist Chinese member here. I dislike many practices of Chinese government on personal freedom. However, you do not have the right to maliciously cause public panic and fear through fake news. You also do not have the right to push rumours in order to smear an organization or person, which is why even the West have laws against slander. In the end, you are resonsible for what you say and consequences of your words.

Of course, some Indians will try to spin it like Hitler just revived. Looks like it's the usual suspects too.

India teach its people to hate Pakistan because Pakistan is a terrorist state, Pakistan is an aggressive nation, Pakistan will invade India one day, Kashmir is India territory occupied by thuggish Pakistani etc...

Vietnam teach its people to hate China because China is an aggressive nation, China favor to invade Vietnam for thousand years, China is dirty and a fascism nation, China communist party is different with Vietnam communist party, Vietnam has more freedom and human right than China, the world hates China but Vietnam, China eats human meat, China poisons foods and export to Vietnam, China is an evil country, China don't have soul, South China Sea is a Vietnam territory 4 thousand years, China robbed Vietnamese territories, China is a thug, Vietnam is the toughest country in world that could destroy China to protect the human peace! everybody support beautiful Vietnam against evil communist China etc....

USA teach the world to hate China because China affect western hegemony!

Russia teach it people to hate China because China is a Chink nation which going to over take Russia superpower symbol day after day!

Japan hates China because China is going faster to over take Japan in everything.

South Korean hates China because China is a communist nation and USA brother say so!

Philippines hates China because China is invading Pinoy territories, China is going richer and Philippines is stand still and tend to going down day after day, China has more lighten skin people then Philippines!

....and what else? I am tired of typing! :lol:

Last month some guy posted in his blog that J-10B prototype crashed and that the pilot was killed. The rumour spread like a wild fire and even some Western media picked up on it. Of course it turned out to be fake in the end, and the guy that originally posted the rumour on his blog was fired from his job at a military magazine.

In another example, after a bombing in central China, a guy posted on blog claiming responsibility. He stated that the Jasmine Revolution in China had begun, and more bombings will occur. The police tracked him to his home and arrested him. It turned out he wasn't the bomber, just some loser looking for attention. His defence was that he was protected by freedom of speech. He was jailed for 6 months.

I fully believe the right to freedom of expression and free media. If you have read my previous posts, I am one of the biggest anti-communist Chinese member here. I dislike many practices of Chinese government on personal freedom. However, you do not have the right to maliciously cause public panic and fear through fake news. You also do not have the right to push rumours in order to smear an organization or person, which is why even the West have laws against slander. In the end, you are resonsible for what you say and consequences of your words.

Of course, some Indians will try to spin it like Hitler just revived. Looks like it's the usual suspects too.

Then I guess solution is total press freedom so people can verify veracity of a claim. Not the other way around. I guess most Chinese queer way of thinking.

Again government will decide what people should read and what people should listen. Chinese government seems have not so much faith in common man;s maturity level.

Then I guess solution is total press freedom so people can verify veracity of a claim. Not the other way around. I guess most Chinese queer way of thinking.

The solution is basic professional conduct. There is a reason why first year students in universities are told to cite real sources, not blog entries or Wikipedia. Try telling a lecturer proper sources are not needed as long as there's academic freedom, and see what's the reaction.

You only hear what your ears want to hear
How can life be what you want it to be
You're frozen
When your heart's not open

You're so consumed with how much you get
You waste your time with hate and regret
You're broken
When your heart's not open

Words Courtesy: Madonna , frozen.

You mean requiring media outlets to verify their stories first instead of posting every rumour on blogs. There's something called standard of journalism. There is also laws against slander/defamation and spreading fear in any Western democracy.

If say that you're a retarded monkey on my blog, should media outlets report it as it is? If you report a story and you cannot verify it, you should be required to label it as unverified.

Back
Top Bottom