What's new

no invention from India in 60 years: n. r. narayana murthy

indian system
  • 2-5 years of rigorous training to get into IIT, just because salary after the course is exceptional. Life settled.
  • Mediocre brains work 4 years not even knowing what they want to study at Engineering
  • If you follow Commerce, Arts, Music or anything out-of-line one is considered a grave mistake.
  • Doctor is another respected education stream.
  • Admitting the hard-working not the deserving and interested.
  • If one is not pursuing JEE, it's because he's dumb! (General Concept)
  • You study so that you get a job, and sustainable income.
  • Quality of education different in different institutions.
  • Marks are important not knowledge. Cram and you will defeat the system bring it on its knee
  • Academic excellence has given more importance then extra corricular activities.
  • Reservation system plays big role in Indian education system

College is serious work in the USA. There is a lot of structural freedom, but GPA is very important, and colleges have very high quality of education at the university level. They take pride in attracting the best students and teachers, and constantly strive to keep syllabus updates to real world requirements. Most college graduates are eminently employable, unlike their counterparts in India, exceptions like the IITs apart.

At the Masters and Ph.D. level, it takes a great deal of effort in the USA, but life is relatively easier in India. If someone holds a masters degree from a university in the USA, it really means that person knows something in that subject. In India, this is debatable. A lot of Ph.D.s coming out of India are also dubious. infact students do PhD to get a simple job. no actual research work happens

moreover,The budget for implementation of the RTE Act throughout the country is just half of the amount spent on the 2010 Commonwealth Games, so funds are scarcely the problem.

This kind of attitude is a grim reminder of times before Independence when foreign rulers and the upper class discouraged the idea that poor Indian children should be empowered with education.

In 1891, a proposal in the Imperial Legislative Assembly for free and compulsory education for all was opposed by the upper class and the ruling British. Maharaja Darbhanga went one step further and gathered 11,000 signatures from the influential creamy layer to oppose the move. The argument was: if everyone was to go to school, who would tend to their agricultural land?
It is clearly not lack of funds that is a hindrance in implementation of the RTE Act but lack of intent and political will.

indian system
  • 2-5 years of rigorous training to get into IIT, just because salary after the course is exceptional. Life settled.
  • Mediocre brains work 4 years not even knowing what they want to study at Engineering
  • If you follow Commerce, Arts, Music or anything out-of-line one is considered a grave mistake.
  • Marks are important not knowledge. Cram and you will defeat the system bring it on its knee
  • Academic excellence has given more importance then extra corricular activities.

College is serious work in the USA. There is a lot of structural freedom, but GPA is very important, and colleges have very high quality of education at the university level. They take pride in attracting the best students and teachers, and constantly strive to keep syllabus updates to real world requirements. Most college graduates are eminently employable, unlike their counterparts in India, exceptions like the IITs apart.

At the Masters and Ph.D. level, it takes a great deal of effort in the USA, but life is relatively easier in India. If someone holds a masters degree from a university in the USA, it really means that person knows something in that subject. In India, this is debatable. A lot of Ph.D.s coming out of India are also dubious. infact students do PhD to get a simple job. no actual research work happens

moreover,The budget for implementation of the RTE Act throughout the country is just half of the amount spent on the 2010 Commonwealth Games, so funds are scarcely the problem.

This kind of attitude is a grim reminder of times before Independence when foreign rulers and the upper class discouraged the idea that poor Indian children should be empowered with education.

In 1891, a proposal in the Imperial Legislative Assembly for free and compulsory education for all was opposed by the upper class and the ruling British. Maharaja Darbhanga went one step further and gathered 11,000 signatures from the influential creamy layer to oppose the move. The argument was: if everyone was to go to school, who would tend to their agricultural land?
It is clearly not lack of funds that is a hindrance in implementation of the RTE Act but lack of intent and political will.

10 years old are committing suicide over how many marks they got, this alone says how fcuked up our education system is. We are producing robots.

I have many points where I disagree with @jamahir but one thing I agree with him is that we don't need this kind of institutionalized education. I say fcuk this system.

indian system

excellent summary. :tup:

there was one member some months ago who was obsessed about him writing jee exam... he was glowing about it and talking of it over and over, and asking me my jee marks, until he was shut up by other members. :lol:

At the Masters and Ph.D. level, it takes a great deal of effort in the USA, but life is relatively easier in India. If someone holds a masters degree from a university in the USA, it really means that person knows something in that subject.

but usa has one admirable thing, which i posted in a previous page, that one can simply drop out of college if one has confidence in his idea and in his ability to take risk... he will find no family pressure ( i imagine ) and one has the unemployment benefits to sustain him if worst comes to worst.

from bill gates to steve jobs to elon musk...

A lot of Ph.D.s coming out of India are also dubious. infact students do PhD to get a simple job. no actual research work happens

true.

indeed.

i didn't know that... thanks.

You expect the next triple Nobel Laureate in the making and Pakistan's Churchill, Lee Kuan Yee, Mandela and De Gaulle - all rolled into one - to leave the Motherland ? :o:

No....never ! :disagree:

how are you a mandela??

de gaulle agreed to the algerian fight for independence... any parallels??

:azn:

Last edited:
but usa has one admirable thing, which i posted in a previous page, that one can simply drop out of college if one has confidence in his idea and in his ability to take risk... he will find no family pressure ( i imagine ) and one has the unemployment benefits to sustain him if worst comes to worst.

well they have the independence of choosing career from teenage..... no one interferes.... in india, "padosi kya kahenge??", "relatives kya kahenge"..etc etc goes on.... and damm it... i wont even get good girl for marraige if i am not a doc...!!!:cray::cray::cray:

Hello @Spectre

Permit me to say this: Rural Development.

India's potential lies in her vast human resource pool, this pool lay not in the cities, but in the rural communities throughout the States; Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Arunachal Pradesh, Sikkim, Nagaland, West Bengal, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Punjab, Andhra Pradesh, Telegana, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu et cetera.

wow... you know more of india's provinces than i know of japan's... is it to do with your once-desired lady friend from kerala, was this in japan?? :D

to your point about rural development, what do you think of this post of mine ( no invention from India in 60 years: n. r. narayana murthy | Page 4 )??

you need just a fpga board costing only 125,000 rupees to simulate your own microprocessor... but you need to have your own design, which will take one brilliant mind or five brilliant minds... there lies the problem.

the best operating system in the world is the qnx os... it's first version was developed in 1982 by two canadians who resigned from their jobs to pursue their idea of a microkernel-based architecture os which they thought no one was pursuing for outside-of-academic-world purposes ( and true )... they started a office above a shop and one of those two was sustained by the salary of wife... and now, qnx os version 6xx is such a great os.

to create a prototype doesn't require a huge amount of money... all it requires is self-confidence and people who believe in india... these two things are lacking for the most part in india.

the reason is we ( the south asians ) are users and never think of creating.

often on pdf, members have asked me "why reinvent the wheel??"... if that is the mentality, we won't ever innovate.
Well, get off PDF, and do something then. ;)

People in India might treat an Aids patient with love and care, but not a college drop out.

janaab, it is easier for a male to be gay in india than to be a college drop out. :lol:

India one day will be the biggest innovator of the world. It is just a natural progression. During independence India was barealy 10% literate. Today we up to 80%.

India is not yet ready for Innovation boom. It is at a very nascent stage right now when it comes to innovation and New idea culture. But it is getting there slowly.

janaab, it is easier for a male to be gay in india than to be a college drop out. :lol:
You have to blame Adarsh Liberals for that. Education qualification or command over english is one of the very first point they bring up in a debate to discredit their opponent. Beside the usual silly name calling.

India one day will be the biggest innovator of the world. It is just a natural progression. During independence India was barealy 10% literate. Today we up to 80%.

India is not yet ready for Innovation boom. It is at a very nascent stage right now when it comes to innovation and New idea culture. But it is getting there slowly.

No offence to you bro, but we can't expect much innovation from the lot whose only aim is to score high marks. Did you see how every media house cheered the top scorers when UPSC result came out? Bureaucracy is one of the most diseased branch of our system, yet we cheer and praise them every year. And still we don't get to hear about people who with their limited resources make a machine to simplify farming or help poor farmers.

You have to blame Adarsh Liberals for that. Education qualification or command over english is one of the very first point they bring up in a debate to discredit their opponent. Beside the usual silly name calling.

how about professor yash pal??

Since all knowlegedge technically comes from India, this is not true. The whites are just using Vedic knowledge and labeling it their own. But by 2020, India will be a super power and show the world the true civilization.

Since all knowlegedge technically comes from India, this is not true. The whites are just using Vedic knowledge and labeling it their own. But by 2020, India will be a super power and show the world the true civilization.

Tere muh me ghee shakar.

Back
Top Bottom