What's new

no invention from India in 60 years: n. r. narayana murthy

Prima Facie I agree with the points Mr. Murty and Jamahir are making. There has been plenty of Jugaad as we say in India but no true invention which has world changing effects. The capability is there but something is lacking.

There were plenty of countries which were at the same state or even worse than that of India like China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea etc so this argument of we starting from scratch holds no water with me. We can analyze where we went wrong, have corrected our mistakes as of yet, if not what corrective actions should be taken

Hello @Spectre

Permit me to say this: Rural Development.

India's potential lies in her vast human resource pool, this pool lay not in the cities, but in the rural communities throughout the States; Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Arunachal Pradesh, Sikkim, Nagaland, West Bengal, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Punjab, Andhra Pradesh, Telegana, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu et cetera.

@jamahir @Spectre
I really don't get the idea of asking non-Indians what's wrong with innovation in India. They may be observers but we have first hand experience.

We all have done our schooling, graduation, post-graduation etc.No disrespect to them, but from our experience, we should be able to tell what's wrong.

the whole of south asia is in the same boats... that was my intention of tagging pakistanis and bangladeshis too... and spectre did nothing wrong in tagging a japanese. :)

It takes two to tango. It's the kind of revolt which requires both young gen. and your gen. too to act together as your gen. got monopoly and most of the bunch aren't willing to change anything.

true... it takes the fiery inspired from every generation to revolt, and my gen. and the gen. before has done much to keep society stagnating.

It needs full belly to think that calmly

well, that is a dilemma... get limited salary to be belly-full and contribute nothing, or revolt despite a not much in the belly but arrive upon a future better. :-)

Yeah right!!!
No new invention from India in last 60years but we managed to reach Mars and find water on moon.

yaar, not that again. !! :-)

for the moon thing... since 2008, there are private groups building moon-rovers for participation in the "google lunar x prize" where final-round rovers are supposed to be taken by spacex rocket... as for the "water discovery", no water was discovered and besides that, it was a american instrument... even china's moon mission is nothing special.

remember the space thread i tagged you in yesterday?? sunita williams is among four people selected as the first private western space travelers who will travel to the international space station by mid-2017 using spaceship of either spacex or boing... spacex is the favorite of many.

where is spacex and where is isro?? spacex will take humans to mars by 2025 or so, and as i have said on page 1, spacex operates on a lot lot less budget than isro.

isro uses systems built or designed by others, whether rocket engines or computers.

There's a saying
"One is known by what he does in his present and not his past"...

right.

Ahem I changed something. :angel:

:what:

Hello @Spectre

Permit me to say this: Rural Development.

India's potential lies in her vast human resource pool, this pool lay not in the cities, but in the rural communities throughout the States; Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Arunachal Pradesh, Sikkim, Nagaland, West Bengal, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Punjab, Andhra Pradesh, Telegana, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu et cetera.

Human resources can be a double edges sword, as of today it's pulling India back as its not harnessed and thus a burden.

Let's say we educate our billions of young men and women - This would create a huge pool of educated but essentially unemployed population which is far more dangerous than uneducated people who would be content with subsistence based agriculture. These educate people will no longer be content with farming, low wage labor jobs etc. Education will lead to higher wages and thus India would loose it's competitive edge of cheap labor.

Industry has to lead education my friend, jobs should be there for these people. How to create more Jobs is the question foremost in our Govt's mind.

Some people deride "Make in India" as a slogan w/o understanding that if rapid industrialization does not happen then millions of educated youths would become a millstone around India's neck.

Your point about Medium and small scale industries is extremely prophetic and pertinent in this regard but they can't happen in rural India due to lack of infrastructure. India also does not have funds for rural development at the scale you suggest which would foster industries. That's why we are first going for development of our tier 2 cities and then smaller towns.

@jamahir your views?

Last edited:
where is spacex and where is isro??
Did you forget India is a third world country??? Did you forget that Mangalyaan had a shoe string budget???
Hollywood makes movies more expensive than that.

I hope you got the drift of it...
And yes let me reinforce your belief that India could not achieve anything in last 60yrs, ppl should move to other countries (like me) to make more money. Lolzz

Did you forget India is a third world country??? Did you forget that Mangalyaan had a shoe string budget???

Then there is the problem of brain drain as well ! :(

Though in all fairness when you left for UAE there was in fact an alleviation of pressure on India's brain and the national IQ rose by a little ! :whistle:

Then there is the problem of brain drain as well ! :(

Though in all fairness when you left for UAE there was in fact an alleviation of pressure on India's brain and the national IQ rose by a little ! :whistle:
I will suggest you to try the same, I'm sure that 'll help Pakistan. :P

Hi,

In Japan (as well as in the United States), prerequisite for assistant professors getting tenure is a healthy and active curriculum vitae that demonstrates active scientific research publications as well as authorship in either journal bodies or in actual textbooks. The process is actually quite rigid , in Japan, and if an assistant professor does not satisfy at least a minimum of 5 publications a year , then he or she will be outright rejected for tenure. Even when the professor is accepted for tenure he or she hast to at least publish 2 articles per year as base minimum in order to maintain tenure. In fact what is actively seen is the recruitment of undergraduate students or graduate students to partake in the research ; this builds and cultivates a culture of collegiate research.

that is indeed generally a fine system, sir. :tup: as you said, it builds a environment for voluntarily partaking in research... thanks for explaining in detail.

also, in usa, one can simply drop out of college and start a organization in any field of interest, whether in biology or computing or automobiles or indeed space... and i imagine, that organization need not have much difficulty in engaging the established academic people or institutes.

i find that a most admirable system.

I will suggest you to try the same, I'm sure that 'll help Pakistan. :P

You expect the next triple Nobel Laureate in the making and Pakistan's Churchill, Lee Kuan Yee, Mandela and De Gaulle - all rolled into one - to leave the Motherland ? :o:

No....never ! :disagree:

I would say, when India reaches the stage when its government is capable of providing funds to an unemployed citizen just like US, more people will be able to take risk for research and innovation.

exactly... one needs not to be in a job to spend time in designing or discovering... if one spends most of the day in earning wages to survive till the next month, how can one have time for anything else??

and this is a question not only of government financial capability but also of willingness.

India's potential lies in her vast human resource pool, this pool lay not in the cities, but in the rural communities throughout the States

India's rural is over-populated, mired in povert, tension with caste divisions and has small farm holdings. The mechanization of agriculture and larger farm sizes are needed to increase food production. There will double or even triple number of cities in India over 5 million population when excess rural migrates to the cities.

the whole of south asia is in the same boats... that was my intention of tagging pakistanis and bangladeshis too... and spectre did nothing wrong in tagging a japanese

The Western countries also protect and fund their bleeding edge R&D. We only have corruption, assembly, copy and paste culture.

India's rural is over-populated, mired in povert, tension with caste divisions and has small farm holdings. The mechanization of agriculture and larger farm sizes are needed to increase food production. There will double or even triple number of cities in India over 5 million population when excess rural migrates to the cities.

Small Farm Holdings - Govt Can't do anything. Public opinion is against land reform of any kind.

Caste System - On life support, kept alive by media and politicians

Poverty - Working on it.

Over Population - Education and Family Planning is the answer. Certain communities take any hint of family planning law as a attack on their religion which leads to a similar response by another community.

Human resources can be a double edges sword, as of today it's pulling India back as its not harnessed and thus a burden.

Let's say we educate our billions of young men and women - This would create a huge pool of educated but essentially unemployed population which is far more dangerous than uneducated people who would be content with subsistence based agriculture. These educate people will no longer be content with farming, low wage labor jobs etc. Education will lead to higher wages and thus India would loose it's competitive edge of cheap labor.

we need not see agriculture to remain a lower-skill rural-based occupation... the need of the hour for india's agriculture crisis ( multi-dimension ) is to turn to "urban farming" and "vertical farming"... these are modern innovations and simply refer to growing food crops within cities... "vertical farming" particularly means creating a multi-storey building in which agriculture crop can be grown... there are different designs, from the typical capitalist american vision of 30-storey farms to the more sensible three or four storey ones in different configurations...

vertical-farms.jpg

"urban farming" is already a developed technique in cuba and is being developed in venezuela on country-wide scale, along with restructuring of its political system.

here, the farmers will need to be not the traditional ones but sensible, scientific-minded, educated ones... agriculture this way can absorb a lot of the youth work force... besides, these new farms will be automated, either by nature itself ( plants grow by themselves ), and by computer-controlled water/ nutrient delivery and environment control.

we can easily visualize gathering current indian villagers and making them live in new totally urban cities built in the places where once stood villages... this would help build better society in so many ways.

Industry has to lead education my friend, jobs should be there for these people. How to create more Jobs is the question foremost in our Govt's mind.

the point is how to make the society to innovate.

"urban farming" can be a main duty of a citizen and farms can be built in every locality and the political system should transform into a collection of decentralized self-governing blocks.

the educated work-force can spend some hours in mostly automated "urban farms" and "vertical farms" and because of the automation, have time enough to give to their creativity in the field of their desire.

Some people deride "Make in India" as a slogan w/o understanding that if rapid industrialization does not happen then millions of educated youths would become a millstone around India's neck.

but then again, narayanmurthy's lament is about non-existence of "made in india".

Your point about Medium and small scale industries is extremely prophetic and pertinent in this regard but they can't happen in rural India due to lack of infrastructure.

the concept of "3d printing" based manufacturing, which is taking-off in a big way now, was a concept about societies where manufacturing can be done at neighborhood level for most things needed in life.

What can you expect from a country who has produced literates who love of nibble on Nehru and Gandhi clan's neither region. Ours is a fcuked up country, Period.

The only thing I can think of that we invented in last 60+ years is a perverted definition of "Secularism" And people shamelessly wear it like a badge of honor.

Back
Top Bottom