What's new

No Hindi in Tamil Nadu, learn Agra cops the hard way

My native tongue is photohari which is different to Punjabi. I learned pashto when i was living in KPK and i still even use some words when i meet any pashtuns. Well i am living with pashtuns and i am the only guy who is punjabi in there. When i meet to punjabi people then i talk to them in punjabi rather than photohari. My wife cannot speak Punjabi so i talk to her in Urdu . My point was that i dont like those desi who prefer to talk in english just to prove that they are educated and modern and consider their own lanaguges as inferior. Rest i love having conservation in english with those who are native speaker of this language
not sure about pakistani languages but most northern Indian languages shared quite a bit of vocab with hindi, hence they can easily pick up hindi. South Indians will find it much harder.
Most north Indians, even non-hindi speaking population cant even understand this simple fact. 'Oh I learnt hindi just watching bollywood, why cant you?'
well try learning chinese or tamil just watching movies, lets see how that works.

I am not saying its wrong to make an effort to learn a new language, I would say learning a new language can never be bad. It opens your mind to new ideas.

And yes, I am among those people who start in English here(with stranger), and move to other language once I know where the guy is from. Its just much less offensive, I dont want to presume somebody's ethicity/language based on outward appearance.

I never said you did..I just agreed with you that knowing one common language...either Hindi or English would help in employment opportunities within the whole of India. Thats all...There is no need to replace or relegate any language....Nothing should be forced..Just like higher education is not forced..it just is an option for you to move up the ladder or attract more opportunities for you thats all....If you want to be part of the global work force..English is a must..If you want to work in other parts of India, then knowing Hindi will help..Dont you think so?...Now how is Sanskrit going to help, in that?

It was implied I did, but thanks for the clarification.

Hindi is a more practical language to learn since it is used by the majority in India and it is also an international language since it is spoke and understood in pakistan and Bangladesh too. Not to mention the middle east (as urdu)

But the problem is that native hindi speakers have no incentive to learn south Indian languages and this gives rise to a supremacist thinking and a counter as regional language chauvinism.

Making people learn Sanskrit will build a stronger bond since almost all India languages have Sanskrit in it including Tamil. All cultural and social customs and identity has their roots in sanskrit scriptures and teachings.

There is work and then there is art. English is the language of work, sanskrit is the language of art (culture) and hindi sits somewhere in between.

And yes, I am among those people who start in English here(with stranger), and move to other language once I know where the guy is from. Its just much less offensive, I dont want to presume somebody's ethicity/language based on outward appearance.
Good manners is often taken as offense .....

Hindi is a more practical language to learn since it is used by the majority in India and it is also an international language since it is spoke and understood in pakistan and Bangladesh too. Not to mention the middle east (as urdu)
Nein, Y should I learn a language which is spoken in Pakistan and Bangladesh.
Middle east speaks Arabic if Am not mistaken...... Whatever comes to your mind huh?
Making people learn Sanskrit will build a stronger bond since almost all India languages have Sanskrit in it including Tamil. All cultural and social customs and identity has their roots in sanskrit scriptures and teachings.
Again nein, Sanskrit will not create bond but a barrier for a common folk in rural areas. Again language was never a barrier but to some.....

It was implied I did, but thanks for the clarification.

But the problem is that native hindi speakers have no incentive to learn south Indian languages and this gives rise to a supremacist thinking and a counter as regional language chauvinism.

There is work and then there is art. English is the language of work, sanskrit is the language of art (culture) and hindi sits somewhere in between.
ME does not speak urdu, apart from people working there.
sanskrit is a dead language, not of art or culture... people with special interest can always learn it. Sanskrit will have hard time getting new ideas/words, and will probably jealously guarded by brahmins, which means it will be dead again, even if you revive it.

Nein, Y should I learn a language which is spoken in Pakistan and Bangladesh.
Middle east speaks Arabic if Am not mistaken...... Whatever comes to your mind huh?

Again nein, Sanskrit will not create bond but a barrier for a common folk in rural areas. Again language was never a barrier but to some.....

Urdu/Hindi is very much part of Middle east culture. If you ever visit Dubai you can get away with knowing ONLY Hindi.

Common folks will continue to speak in their local lingo. Why would sanskrit affect that any more than english affect that :lol: .... do the common folks now speak English ? :cheesy:

ME does not speak urdu, apart from people working there.
sanskrit is a dead language, not of art or culture... people with special interest can always learn it. Sanskrit will have hard time getting new ideas/words, and will probably jealously guarded by brahmins, which means it will be dead again, even if you revive it.

Sasnkrit is dead only in your perverted dark desire.

Sanskrit is very much alive and kicking and is used regularly in almost ALL Hindu functions :lol: ...... from Birth, to marriage to death.

Sanskrit continues to live in our National Antham.

It lives in our everyday languages and customs and beliefs and thought. Today there are more White European and American scholars in sanskrit than "brahmins" scholars :lol:

It will continue to live as long as India lives. Learn to deal with it.

Urdu/Hindi is very much part of Middle east culture. If you ever visit Dubai you can get away with knowing ONLY Hindi.

Common folks will continue to speak in their local lingo. Why would sanskrit affect that any more than english affect that :lol: .... do the common folks now speak English ? :cheesy:

Sasnkrit is dead only in your perverted dark desire.

Sanskrit is very much alive and kicking and is used regularly in almost ALL Hindu functions :lol: ...... from Birth, to marriage to death.

Sanskrit continues to live in our National Antham.

It lives in our everyday languages and customs and beliefs and thought. Today there are more White European and American scholars in sanskrit than "brahmins" scholars :lol:

It will continue to live as long as India lives. Learn to deal with it.
lolz.... I am telling the truth... everybody knows here, even you know it...
I know some sanskirt btw, nothing magical about it.. infact learning sanskirt can cut half of brahminical bs.
The mantras you think are magic because vibration in air can do things and sort, well once you know a bit of sanskirt hand have some interest.. you will realize all he says is '' here is ghee for indra, praise indira.. i kneel before thee indra, salute to indra' etc. :chilli:

I know some sanskirt btw, nothing magical about it.. infact learning sanskirt can cut half of brahminical bs.
The mantras you think are magic because vibration in air can do things and sort, well once you know a bit of sanskirt hand have some interest.. you will realize all he says is '' here is ghee for indra, praise indira.. i kneel before thee indra, salute to indra' etc. :chilli:

LOL....... I am convinced you know Sanskrit :lol:

You should stick to reading your Green Book, kneeling in mosques and raising your @ss towards heaven to show your faith.

LOL....... I am convinced you know Sanskrit :lol:

You should stick to reading your Green Book, kneeling in mosques and raising your @ss towards heaven to show your faith.
you are just jealous that I know a bit of sanskrit.. and gave nearly accurate translation of most mantras they sing during marriage. They have to go through other gods and may be change the offering from ghee to other stuff but thats about it. :p:

not sure about pakistani languages but most northern Indian languages shared quite a bit of vocab with hindi, hence they can easily pick up hindi. South Indians will find it much harder.
Most north Indians, even non-hindi speaking population cant even understand this simple fact. 'Oh I learnt hindi just watching bollywood, why cant you?'
well try learning chinese or tamil just watching movies, lets see how that works.

I am not saying its wrong to make an effort to learn a new language, I would say learning a new language can never be bad. It opens your mind to new ideas.

:-)

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
:rofl:

Last edited:
you are just jealous that I know a bit of sanskrit.. and gave nearly accurate translation of most mantras they sing during marriage. They have to go through other gods and may be change the offering from ghee to other stuff but thats about it. :p:

You are speaking only of a single ceremony called Saptapadi.

These are the seven vows taken by the bride and groom for marriage, oath made to Maha Vishnu with Agni as witness.

First Step

Bridegroom Says : "Om esha ekapadi bhava iti prathaman"
"My beloved, our love becomes firm by your walking one step with me. You will offer my food and be helpful in every way. I will cherish you and provide for your welfare and happiness and that of your children.

Bride Says : "Dhanam dhanyam pade vadet"
"I humbly submit to you, my lord. Kindly give me the responsibility of the home, food and finance. I promise you that I shall fulfil all responsibilities towards the welfare of the family and the children.

Second Step

Bridegroom Says : "Om oorje jara dastayaha"
"My beloved, now you have walked the second step with me. Fill my heart with strength and courage and together we shall protect the household and the children."

Bride Says : "Kutumburn rakshayishyammi sa aravindharam"
"My lord, in your grief, I shall fill your heart with courage and strength. In your happiness, I shall rejoice, I promise you that I will please you always with sweet words and take care of the family and children. And you shall love me and me alone as your wife.

Third Step

Bridegroom says : "Om rayas Santu joradastayaha"
"My beloved, now you have walked three steps with me. By virtue of this, our wealth and prosperity are going to grow. I shall look upon all other woman as my sisters. Together, we will educate our children and may they live long"

Bride Says : "Tava bhakti as vadedvachacha"
"My love, I will love you with single minded devotion as my husband. I will treat all other men as my brothers. My devotion to you is that of a chaste wife and you are my joy. This is my commitment and my pledge to you."

Fourth Step

Bridegroom Says : "Om mayo bhavyas jaradastaya ha"
"My beloved, it is a great blessing that you have walked four steps with me. You have brought auspiciousness and sacredness into my life. May we be blessed with obedient and noble children. May they live long."

Bride Says : "Lalayami cha pade vadet."
"My lord, I will adorn myself from head to toe with flowers, garlands and ornaments, and anoint myself with sandalwood paste and fragrance for your sake. I will serve you and please you in every way I can."

Fifth Step

Bridegroom Says : "Om prajabhyaha Santu jaradastayaha"
"My beloved, now that you have walked five steps with me, you have enriched my life. May God bless you. May our loved ones live long and share in our prosperity."

Bride Says : "Arte arba sapade vadet"
"My Lord, I will share your joys and sorrows. Your love will make me trust and honour you. I will carry out all your wishes."

Sixth Step

Bridegroom Says : "My beloved, you have filled my heart with happiness walking six steps with me. May you fill my heart with joy and peace at all times and seasons."

Bride Says : "Yajne home shashthe vacho vadet."
"My Lord, in all acts of righteousness, in material prosperity in all enjoyment and divine acts, I promise you I will participate and I shall always be with you."

Seventh Step

Bridegroom says : "Om sakhi jaradastayahga."
"My beloved, as you walked the seven steps with me, our love and friendship became eternal. We experienced spiritual union in God. Now you have become completely mine and I offer my life to you. Our marriage will be forever.

Bride Says : "Attramshe sakshino vadet pade."
"My Lord, as per the law of God and the holy scriptures, I have become your spouse with the taking of the seventh step. Whatever promises we gave, we did so with a pure mind. We will be truthful to each other in all matters. We will love each other forever."

Nowdays these mantras are recited by the pandits for the bride and bridgroom, but there are still marriages where the bride and groom say the mantras.

Anything else you would like to "teach" us about Hinduism ?

So how some Afghan understand Urdu when their languages are either tajik, dari/persian or Pashto? Sanskritized shudhh Hindi should not be hard to learn for those who speak any dravidian languages because of its sanskrit contents but well its just limited to some news in state own tv and formal speeches .

Do you think that when they do visit & know no Hindi or English, people from the North oblige by speaking Tamil? Yet you seem to think that idea is somehow mandatory when a Hindi speaker visits TN

Is tamil taught all over India or Hindi?

Personally I don't support imposition of Hindi as a national language but fact is Hindi is taught all India. But the coconut sellers of chennai take it personally if anybody tries speaking Hindi. They will not only pretend not to understand Hindi but they will be rude in their behaviour. People who converse in english are also made to feel unwelcome. Except for LTTE terrorists all are unwelcome in poor and backward chennai.

So? What is your point?

Point is you people are supporters of a terrorist group. LTTE killed Indian soldiers and you worship LTTE.

That is your stupid assertion not the opinion of South India.

Any "outsider" who has visited south India especially chennai will agree with what I say. The southies are a very racist and arrogant bunch.

Is tamil taught all over India or Hindi?

Personally I don't support imposition of Hindi as a national language but fact is Hindi is taught all India. But the coconut sellers of chennai take it personally if anybody tries speaking Hindi. They will not only pretend not to understand Hindi but they will be rude in their behaviour. People who converse in english are also made to feel unwelcome. Except for LTTE terrorists all are unwelcome in poor and backward chennai.

Not in Tamil Nadu. No compulsory Hindi is taught. Unlike other states.

My point was to you drawing a parallel to somebody who knows no English coming to TN. They would face exactly the same problem as someone who knows no Hindi who happens to visit N.India. Not an ideal situation but it is how it is.

You are speaking only of a single ceremony called Saptapadi.

These are the seven vows taken by the bride and groom for marriage, oath made to Maha Vishnu with Agni as witness.

First Step

Bridegroom Says : "Om esha ekapadi bhava iti prathaman"
"My beloved, our love becomes firm by your walking one step with me. You will offer my food and be helpful in every way. I will cherish you and provide for your welfare and happiness and that of your children.

Bride Says : "Dhanam dhanyam pade vadet"
"I humbly submit to you, my lord. Kindly give me the responsibility of the home, food and finance. I promise you that I shall fulfil all responsibilities towards the welfare of the family and the children.

Second Step

Bridegroom Says : "Om oorje jara dastayaha"
"My beloved, now you have walked the second step with me. Fill my heart with strength and courage and together we shall protect the household and the children."

Bride Says : "Kutumburn rakshayishyammi sa aravindharam"
"My lord, in your grief, I shall fill your heart with courage and strength. In your happiness, I shall rejoice, I promise you that I will please you always with sweet words and take care of the family and children. And you shall love me and me alone as your wife.

Third Step

Bridegroom says : "Om rayas Santu joradastayaha"
"My beloved, now you have walked three steps with me. By virtue of this, our wealth and prosperity are going to grow. I shall look upon all other woman as my sisters. Together, we will educate our children and may they live long"

Bride Says : "Tava bhakti as vadedvachacha"
"My love, I will love you with single minded devotion as my husband. I will treat all other men as my brothers. My devotion to you is that of a chaste wife and you are my joy. This is my commitment and my pledge to you."

Fourth Step

Bridegroom Says : "Om mayo bhavyas jaradastaya ha"
"My beloved, it is a great blessing that you have walked four steps with me. You have brought auspiciousness and sacredness into my life. May we be blessed with obedient and noble children. May they live long."

Bride Says : "Lalayami cha pade vadet."
"My lord, I will adorn myself from head to toe with flowers, garlands and ornaments, and anoint myself with sandalwood paste and fragrance for your sake. I will serve you and please you in every way I can."

Fifth Step

Bridegroom Says : "Om prajabhyaha Santu jaradastayaha"
"My beloved, now that you have walked five steps with me, you have enriched my life. May God bless you. May our loved ones live long and share in our prosperity."

Bride Says : "Arte arba sapade vadet"
"My Lord, I will share your joys and sorrows. Your love will make me trust and honour you. I will carry out all your wishes."

Sixth Step

Bridegroom Says : "My beloved, you have filled my heart with happiness walking six steps with me. May you fill my heart with joy and peace at all times and seasons."

Bride Says : "Yajne home shashthe vacho vadet."
"My Lord, in all acts of righteousness, in material prosperity in all enjoyment and divine acts, I promise you I will participate and I shall always be with you."

Seventh Step

Bridegroom says : "Om sakhi jaradastayahga."
"My beloved, as you walked the seven steps with me, our love and friendship became eternal. We experienced spiritual union in God. Now you have become completely mine and I offer my life to you. Our marriage will be forever.

Bride Says : "Attramshe sakshino vadet pade."
"My Lord, as per the law of God and the holy scriptures, I have become your spouse with the taking of the seventh step. Whatever promises we gave, we did so with a pure mind. We will be truthful to each other in all matters. We will love each other forever."

Nowdays these mantras are recited by the pandits for the bride and bridgroom, but there are still marriages where the bride and groom say the mantras.

Anything else you would like to "teach" us about Hinduism ?

Hi he means for fun only, don't take seriously .

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom