What's new

No aircraft engines to Pak, please

Status
Not open for further replies.
just a small qustion I would like to know, we are taking about mach2, mach3, supersonic booms. Please can any one tell me how does a plane reach mach speed and how do you creat a sonic boom?

If Israel can say that those foreign Mig25 were hostile and shoot them down then why should Indians be allowed (even their Ghandi that was murdered by his own people flew over Islamabad). Great way to show respect... Stupid. What if we flew over Dilli and gave some sonic boooms... Then it would be terrorism...

huh????????????????

huh????????????????

No I am not joking. 90% we discuss Aviation so I just wanted to ask, Every one is talking all these terms and moves so I am just curious.

If Israel can say that those foreign Mig25 were hostile and shoot them down then why should Indians be allowed (even their Ghandi that was murdered by his own people flew over Islamabad). Great way to show respect... Stupid. What if we flew over Dilli and gave some sonic boooms... Then it would be terrorism...

Munir,

which aircraft in pakistani aresnal is capable of that, flying 70,000-90,000 feet, excess of mach 2.5.
Or any other aircraft with differnt specs which can avoid indian SAM capabilities, all the way to delhi

Well this should help...It doesn't go through all the math behind it but is detailed enough. (wiki sources)

Mach number (Ma) (pronounced: [mæk], [mɑːk]) is a measure of relative speed. It is defined as the speed of an object relative to a fluid medium, divided by the speed of sound in that medium:

vo/vs

where

vo is the speed of the object relative to the medium and
vs is the speed of sound in the medium

In other words, Mach number is the number of times the speed of sound an object, a duct or the fluid medium itself moves.

The Mach number is named after Austrian physicist and philosopher Ernst Mach.

High speed flight can be classified in five categories:

* sonic: Ma=1
* Subsonic: Ma < 1
* Transonic: 0.8 < Ma < 1.2
* Supersonic: 1.2 < Ma < 5
* Hypersonic: Ma > 5

A sonic boom is the audible component of a shock wave in air. The term is commonly used to refer to the air shocks caused by the supersonic flight of military aircraft or passenger transports such as Concorde (Mach 2.03, no longer in service) and the Space Shuttle (up to Mach 27). Sonic booms generate enormous amounts of sound energy, sounding much like an explosion; typically the shock front may approach 167 megawatts per square meter, and may exceed 200 decibels.

When an aircraft is near the sound barrier, an unusual cloud sometimes forms in its wake. A Prandtl-Glauert Singularity results from a drop in pressure, because of shock wave formation. This pressure change causes a sharp drop in temperature, which in humid conditions leads the water vapor in the air to condense into droplets and form the cloud.

Munir,

which aircraft in pakistani aresnal is capable of that, flying 70,000-90,000 feet, excess of mach 2.5.
Or any other aircraft with differnt specs which can avoid indian SAM capabilities, all the way to delhi

I think you took my question the wrong way. I am not trying to get into a debate. my question was in view of INFO .

I think you took my question the wrong way. I am not trying to get into a debate. my question was in view of INFO .

Murad,

I was replying to Munir, I am not a technical person therefore couldnt answer your question. I have answered your question in Agni 3, LCA thread.

Adu

PA claims both IAF aircraft were shot down by MANPADs and included the Mig-21 and 27. I am sure the Indian side has its own story but what matters is what hit the ground and where it hit it. Pakistani side sticks to its story about the use of MANPADs against both aircraft. A heli was also downed with the MANPAD system.
The Mig-21 (Sqn Ajay Ahuja) was hit by a Cortale SAM system and not by a MANPAD.

The Mi-17 and Canberra were hit by Stingers, destroying the Mi-17 and damaged the Canberra that made it back.

As for the Mig-27, it flamed out or was hit by a MANPAD, take your pick, the facts may be known to the chaps on ground.

just a small qustion I would like to know, we are taking about mach2, mach3, supersonic booms. Please can any one tell me how does a plane reach mach speed and how do you creat a sonic boom?

Since part of my research was in fluid dynamics , may be I can answer this question. I will try to say it in the simplest possible words without using any technical terms.

Air craft flies because the velocity of air stream on top of the wing is higher than the air velocity passing below the wing thus creating "Lift". Mach one
describes situation when the air spead on top of the wings equals speed of sound. Sound barrier is the name given to the air wave pressure built up at the Mach one, when aircraft speed exceeds Mach 1, it is like piercing a wall and the sonic boom is actually a collapse of the air wave pressure wall. Mach 2 is simply twice the speed of sound. Once you pass Mach one, there is no more sonic boom, wave pressure wall is behind the aircraft instead of at the front. At these speeds main problem is the heat generated by the air resistance; at Mach 4 plus heat would melt Aluminium and one would need aircraft made of Titanium alloys.

The Mach numbers represent air speed and not ground speed, at sea level both will be the same but at 30,000 feet, ground speed is significantly less.

Pilots/aeronautics engineers, please forgive me if I am only partially correct; my research was way back in 1967 and the memory gets foggy with time.

Since part of my research was in fluid dynamics , may be I can answer this question. I will try to say it in the simplest possible words without using any technical terms.

Air craft flies because the velocity of air stream on top of the wing is higher than the air velocity passing below the wing thus creating "Lift". Mach one
describes situation when the air spead on top of the wings equals speed of sound. Sound barrier is the name given to the air wave pressure built up at the Mach one, when aircraft speed exceeds Mach 1, it is like piercing a wall and the sonic boom is actually a collapse of the air wave pressure wall. Mach 2 is simply twice the speed of sound. Once you pass Mach one, there is no more sonic boom, wave pressure wall is behind the aircraft instead of at the front. At these speeds main problem is the heat generated by the air resistance; at Mach 4 plus heat would melt Aluminium and one would need aircraft made of Titanium alloys.

The Mach numbers represent air speed and not ground speed, at sea level both will be the same but at 30,000 feet, ground speed is significantly less.

Pilots/aeronautics engineers, please forgive me if I am only partially correct; my research was way back in 1967 and the memory gets foggy with time.

impressive

Sound barrier is the name given to the air wave pressure built up at the Mach one, when aircraft speed exceeds Mach 1, it is like piercing a wall and the sonic boom is actually a collapse of the air wave pressure wall. Mach 2 is simply twice the speed of sound. Once you pass Mach one, there is no more sonic boom, wave pressure wall is behind the aircraft instead of at the front.

So that means that every aircraft in PAF inventory, that have an excess speed of more than Mach 1 can create sonic boom and can buzzer the ears.:confused:, then how do you hide this sonic boom thing everytime?

Then also Mig-25 which flew over Pakistan was below Mach 1 before he created the sonic boom that time, and why PAF could'nt able to intercept that jet. plus its not easy to attain the altitude on which he was flying at Mach 1 or less than mach 1.

Its all confusing to me:confused:

So that means that every aircraft in PAF inventory, that have an excess speed of more than Mach 1 can create sonic boom and can buzzer the ears.:confused:, then how do you hide this sonic boom thing everytime?

Then also Mig-25 which flew over Pakistan was below Mach 1 before he created the sonic boom that time, and why PAF could'nt able to intercept that jet. plus its not easy to attain the altitude on which he was flying at Mach 1 or less than mach 1.

Its all confusing to me:confused:

Mach 1 is the speed at which you attain the speed of sound, that is creating a sonic boom on breaking it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom