What's new

Newly built LPC for Bangladesh Navy launched in China

^^^^^^^^^

I guess its free... ;-)

Dont think so, its not second hand, its newly built. Only the second hand stuff we buy from the chinese are free(but we have to pay refitting costs)

Not exactly. But yes they are very similar ships.

The most noticeable distinction is the Bulbous Bow. The BN LPCs have the Bulbous Bow which the PNS Azmat Class lacks.

A bulbous bow is a protruding bulb at the bow (or front) of a ship just below the waterline. The bulb modifies the way the water flows around the hull, reducing drag and thus increasing speed, range, fuel efficiency, and stability. Bulbous bows are used in vessels when:

The length is longer than about 15 metres (49 ft)
The vessel will operate in coastal and deep sea
The vessel will operate most of the time at or near its maximum speed.

Correction friends. After analyzing the facts and figures I have come to the conclusion that BN LPC-M or the Dhaka Class LPC-M and the PNS Azmat class are not of same class of ships. In fact, Dhaka class is far superior to the PNS Azmat class.

The most noticeable Design differences are as follows:

1. Displacement:
Dhaka class: 648 tonne
PNS Azmat Class: 560 tonne

2. Leangth:
Dhaka class: 64 meter
PNS Azmat Class: 60 meter

3. Armament:
Dhaka class: 1x 76.2mm naval gun, 2x Oerlikon 20mm cannon, 8x C-802A AShM, 4x QW-2, 2x Type 730 CIWS, 2 x 6-tube EDS-25A 250mm ASW rocket launcher (18 rockets), Decoy Louncher
PNS Azmat Class: 1x Type 87 twin 25mm gun, 2x 12.7mm machine guns, 8x C-802A AShM, 1x Type 730 CIWS, Decoy launcher

4. Electronics:
Dhaka Class: Type 360 Surface search radar, Type 352 surface search and SSM control radar for C-802A, MR-123-02/76 Fire Control Radar for 76.2mm gun, Type 347G (Rice Bowl) fire control radar for 20mm cannon, LR66 radar for CIWS, ASW fire control system
PNS Azmat class: Type 360 Surface search radar, Type 352 surface search and SSM control radar for C-802A, LR66 radar for CIWS

5. Deck Design:
Dhaka Class: Elevated foreword enhanced for better surface view
PNS Azmat class: Elevated backward sloped

6. Bow Design:
Dhaka Class: Bulbous Bow. The BN LPCs has the Bulbous Bow which the PNS Azmat Class lacks. A bulbous bow is a protruding bulb at the bow (or front) of a ship just below the waterline. The bulb modifies the way the water flows around the hull, reducing drag and thus increasing speed, range, fuel efficiency, and stability. Bulbous bows are used in vessels when:

The length is longer than about 15 metres (49 ft)
The vessel will operate in coastal and deep sea
The vessel will operate most of the time at or near its maximum speed.
PNS Azmat Class: Lacks the Bulbous Bow expressing they are for petroling coastal water lines.

In conclusion, I would say, the Dhaka class LPC-M is much superior to the PNS Azmat class and if BD budgetary allocation allows, then BN should acquire or build more of these Dhaka Class LPC-M to defent the maritime territory.

Some new pictures for this patrol craft, taken on 15 Sept 2012

210840gsh6jgaj1ms1j3xd.jpg

213012q4eh7f5uuau35eh4.jpg

Correction friends. After analyzing the facts and figures I have come to the conclusion that BN LPC-M or the Dhaka Class LPC-M and the PNS Azmat class are not of same class of ships. In fact, Dhaka class is far superior to the PNS Azmat class.

The most noticeable Design differences are as follows:

3. Armament:
Dhaka class: 1x 76.2mm naval gun, 2x Oerlikon 20mm cannon, 8x C-802A AShM, 4x QW-2, 2x Type 730 CIWS, 2 x 6-tube EDS-25A 250mm ASW rocket launcher (18 rockets), Decoy Louncher
PNS Azmat Class: 1x Type 87 twin 25mm gun, 2x 12.7mm machine guns, 8x C-802A AShM, 1x Type 730 CIWS, Decoy launcher

None of them are having Type 730 CIWS installed. Type 730 CIWS are expensive and heavy and requires deck penetration! and only installed on large and newer vessels with 4000 tonnes+ displayment in Chinese fleet. Even the 1400-tonnes 056 class corvettes don't have them.

Azmat has 1x AK-630 CIWS at rear. On Dhaka class, whether those are 20mm cannons we shall see after the covers get unveiled in the future.

Looking at the pictures, 648 tons/64m versus 560 tons/60m aren't much of a difference. Looking at the size of the anti-ship missiles at rear, compared to the size of the boat; they look more like 4x C-705 AshM on Dhaka class. Because C-802 missile are huge; look at the size they occupy the back of Azmat class. Besides, Dhaka class boat is only a patrol craft, whereas Azmat is a fast attach craft which needs stronger punches.

Regards

None of them are having Type 730 CIWS installed. Type 730 CIWS are expensive and heavy and requires deck penetration! and only installed on large and newer vessels with 4000 tonnes+ displayment in Chinese fleet. Even the 1400-tonnes 056 class corvettes don't have them.

Azmat has 1x AK-630 CIWS at rear. On Dhaka class, whether those are 20mm cannons we shall see after the covers get unveiled in the future.

Looking at the pictures, 648 tons/64m versus 560 tons/60m aren't much of a difference. Looking at the size of the anti-ship missiles at rear, compared to the size of the boat; they look more like 4x C-705 AshM on Dhaka class. Because C-802 missile are huge; look at the size they occupy the back of Azmat class. Besides, Dhaka class boat is only a patrol craft, whereas Azmat is a fast attach craft which needs stronger punches.

Regards

Thanks, for pointing that.. it was a typing mistake.. it is AK-630 CIWS.

Yes you are right.. Its C-705 that BN is getting on these ships (source confirmed). However, the quantity is not 4x its 8xC-705 (single stage).

Large petrol crafts do not carry anti-ship missiles, and i think u know that.

The main gun has been confirmed to be 76.2mm AK-176M.

Yes you are right.. Its C-705 that BN is getting on these ships (source confirmed). However, the quantity is not 4x its 8xC-705 (single stage).

considering that ^ Azmat class have better ASM C-801A but Dhaka has more Anti aircraft weapons .

Guys i thin we should stop comparing PNS Azmat with our LPC. They are each tailored for different needs.

Our LPC will be patrolling the bay, thus it needs more weapons to counter the different threats that may suddenly pop up.

PNS Azmat is a FAC and will mostly be used for quick but heavy assault. Thus less weapons are loaded onto it but the weapons will do more damage

Guys i thin we should stop comparing PNS Azmat with our LPC. They are each tailored for different needs.

Our LPC will be patrolling the bay, thus it needs more weapons to counter the different threats that may suddenly pop up.

PNS Azmat is a FAC and will mostly be used for quick but heavy assault. Thus less weapons are loaded onto it but the weapons will do more damage

Can't agree to that! PNS Azmat has 1x Type 87 twin 25mm AAA gun pretending to be the main gun which just can't do much damage.

The Dhaka class on the other hand has a 76.2mm AK-176M main gun with a 152 rounds of 12.4kg shell ready to fire at a distance of up to 16km and 2x Oerlikon 20mm auto-cannons. I think Dhaka class can do more damage in this section.

Dhaka class also has better punch in Anti Aircraft section as armed with 4xQW-2 and 2xType-630 CIWS.

Dhaka class also has better punch in ASW role with its 2 x 6-tube EDS-25A 250mm ASW rocket launcher, Decoy launcher.

However, the Azmat class has better punch in Anti Ship Missile section. It is armed with 8x C-802A (not C-801A) where as Dhaka class has 8x C-705.

Can't agree to that! PNS Azmat has 1x Type 87 twin 25mm AAA gun pretending to be the main gun which just can't do much damage.

The Dhaka class on the other hand has a 76.2mm AK-176M main gun with a 152 rounds of 12.4kg shell ready to fire at a distance of up to 16km and 2x Oerlikon 20mm auto-cannons. I think Dhaka class can do more damage in this section.

Dhaka class also has better punch in Anti Aircraft section as armed with 4xQW-2 and 2xType-630 CIWS.

Dhaka class also has better punch in ASW role with its 2 x 6-tube EDS-25A 250mm ASW rocket launcher, Decoy launcher.

However, the Azmat class has better punch in Anti Ship Missile section. It is armed with 8x C-802A (not C-801A) where as Dhaka class has 8x C-705.

I was only refering to the missile part as PNS Azmat main role, in case of war, is to travel to the indian ports or travel to the indian ships near the shore, fire missile at them and then retreat back. Thus their missiles need to be more powerful than ours.

C-705 is an anti-ship missile.

C-705 is an anti-ship missile.

Of-course it is. Specifications are as follows:

Warhead: 110 kg
Range: 75 km (Single stage rocket) and extended range of 170 km can be achieved with an 2nd stage rocket (BD decided to go for single stage).
Engine: solid rocket
Seeker: radar, TV, IR. For mid-course guidance, GPS or GLONASS are used
Cruise altitude: 12.15 meter (lowest)
Target size: ships up to 2,500 tons
Launching platform: aircraft, surface vessels, and land vehicles
Kill probability: > 95.7%

Back
Top Bottom