What's new

New U.S. Stealth Jet Can’t Hide From Russian Radar

You mean you did not know before ?

I would love too see J-31s going up against F-35s in the middle-east as soon as possible and shooting them out of the sky like swotting flies, and then the world will see the reality of the complete turkey that the F-35 is.

I would love too see J-31s going up against F-35s in the middle-east as soon as possible and shooting them out of the sky like swotting flies, and then the world will see the reality of the complete turkey that the F-35 is.
Am sure there is a video game for that fantasy. And fantasy is as far as the PLAAF is going to get.

Supposedly Pierre Sprey today conceded to only passive sensors on the F-16. No radars. Use a large fleet of prop jobbers to find enemy fighters and to guide guns-only F-16 to the WVR fights. Find me a squadron that supports this.

As much as I love the F-16, and I was on it for 6 yrs and I know what 9 gs felt like, we are reaching the physical limits on what we can do to this airframe. Am not talking about straining it. The basic airframe itself is good for at least another 20 yrs, in my opinion. What I mean is that unless we have a revolutionary technological breakthrough in electronics that will allow equally revolutionary leaps in avionics, there is only so much incremental changes we can impose upon the F-16 until it will be even worse than the F-35's problems. The F-16 and F-117 were designed with the same technology -- slide ruler. And probably with a few computers that are barely as powerful as today's smartphones. Time to move on.
True enough, but I have to wonder if moving on with the F-35 is a good idea. Surely the F-35 isn't the only solution?

Have you heard about Perdue and Stillion's war simulation?

J-31' airframe is rip of F-35:

00111144d5a5121811ee20copy.1400215531.jpg

But there are differences:
J-31 airframe is slightly larger and this heavier.
J-31 uses two RD-33 engines (2x8,300 kg = 16,600 kg thrust).
F-35 uses one F-135 engine (18,144 kg thrust).

So F-35 is lighter and has more thrust.

00111144d5a5121811ee20copy.1400215531.jpg

We can only afford those, when the time comes :(

The Americans are kings when comes to engines.

Dude come on please, listen to what you're saying.

if anything its looks closer to a mini raptor

the engine part is true(the US has monstrous engines), but the weight may not necessarily be so. especially the B version which has to haul around a heavy lift fan

1. J-31 may look like F-35 but it is smoother and does not have the bumps that the F-35 has. Since 80% of stealth is shaping we can be sure that the J-31 has a lower RCS.

2. The J-31 is not likely to enter production till at least 2018. By then, at the very least, the WS-13B engine with 10,000kg of thrust will be ready. That will give the J-31 20,000kg of thrust in total. There is also a strong probability that a dedicated 5th generation engine with 11-12,000 kg of thrust is also in development but that is unlikely to be ready till the middle of the next decade to be installed on production aircraft.

The J-31 will be stealthier, have a higher top-speed which will be useful to allow it to give extra kinetic energy to it's medium range air-to-air missiles, and also be more more manoeuvrable in close in dogfighting. In short, F-35 pilots will always fear for their lives when coming up against J-31s.

Dude come on please, listen to what you're saying.

See my recent answer above.

1. J-31 may look like F-35 but it is smoother and does not have the bumps that the F-35 has. Since 80% of stealth is shaping we can be sure that the J-31 has a lower RCS.
What matters is lack of right angles and round surfaces. F-35 lacks them. Also Americans have 40 years experience in stealth coating and radar absorbing materials.
2. The J-31 is not likely to enter production till at least 2018. By then, at the very least, the WS-13B engine with 10,000kg of thrust will be ready. That will give the J-31 20,000kg of thrust in total. There is also a strong probability that a dedicated 5th generation engine with 11-12,000 kg of thrust is also in development but that is unlikely to be ready till the middle of the next decade to be installed on production aircraft.
There is not even WS-13 functional but u talk about imaginary WS-13B. F-135 also can be upgraded in the future.
The J-31 will be stealthier, have a higher top-speed which will be useful to allow it to give extra kinetic energy to it's medium range air-to-air missiles, and also be more more manoeuvrable in close in dogfighting. In short, F-35 pilots will always fear for their lives when coming up against J-31s.
1) F-35 has more thrust/weight ratio (F-135 is more powerful and lighter than 2 RD-33).
2) F-35 has better aerodynamics.
3) F-35 has better radars, EW, avionics.
4) F-35 has more fuel.
5) F-35 has integral E/O system, which J-31 lacks.

There is not even WS-13 functional but u talk about imaginary WS-13B. F-135 also can be upgraded in the future.

Keep believing that China somehow cannot eventually make decent engines if it makes you feel better.

Remember that foreign customers won't be getting their F-35s till around 2020. China is investing 10s of billions of dollars on solving their engine bottleneck and they will by the end of this decade be able to make engines for a wide range of aircraft. It is inevitable due to the current base they have, already have both WZ-9 and WS-10A in mass production, and the resources that they are pouring in.

The F-35 is a complete turkey. To get a high T/W ratio, you MUST use 2 engines and not one. That is why all the best fighters like F-22, Rafale and Eurofighter have two engines

Just think why the US is willing to sell F-35 and the reason it has banned it's closest allies from purchasing F-22s.

No offense to anyone but the J-31 looks more promising because it has no lift fan :enjoy:

You can believe your own propaganda all you want. If it makes you feel better. But saying Sprey isn't an expert but some anonymous PDF troll named " gambit " is is quite laughable. Okay, he's a hack and you're an expert? Ahahahaha. You're not to be taken seriously at this point. You must own stock in lockhead. There no other reason you're riding their sack so hard, expert. :D

Lol
Relax dude he is a professional ex USAAF pilot or technician please be respectful to others even if u disagree.

Keep believing that China somehow cannot eventually make decent engines if it makes you feel better.
You are comparing some imaginary future engine with something is already installed on F-35.

Remember that foreign customers won't be getting their F-35s till around 2020.
No the will get it before.

The F-35 is a complete turkey. To get a high T/W ratio, you MUST use 2 engines and not one. That is why all the best fighters like F-22, Rafale and Eurofighter have two engines
1) F-135 has more thrust than 2 M-88 Rafale engines or two RD-33, and weights less in same time.
2) F-16 has excellent T/W ratio with one engine, better than 2 engine F-18 for example.

No offense to anyone but the J-31 looks more promising because it has no lift fan :enjoy:
F-35A and F-35C don't have any lift fans.

You are comparing some imaginary future engine with something is already installed on F-35.

Not, it is not an imaginary future engine.

The WS-13 has been flying on a FC-1 prototype since 2010. The WS-13B is only an upgrade to it and not a completely new engine. 2 times WS-13Bs will give the J-31 20,000kg of thrust.

No the will get it before.

2018 or 2020 is not much difference

1) F-135 has more thrust than 2 M-88 Rafale engines or two RD-33, and weights less in same time.
2) F-16 has excellent T/W ratio with one engine, better than 2 engine F-18 for example.

Rafale first came into service in 2001 and F-35 is not even in service now. If the French wanted to, the M-88 could easily have been delivering 10,000kg of thrust each now.

Anyway, this conversation is going round in circles and here are actual facts about F-35:

1. Unable to super-cruise - this will mean it will be handicapped as the F-35 will need to use afterburners to move through space quickly and it this would mean that it would become a big infra-red magnet for heat-seeking missiles.

2. Not very manoeuvrable - again will give it a disadvantage in close in dog-fighting. I know we have all-aspect missiles but there will be some situations where a more manoeuvrable fighter will have an advantage.

3. Compromised stealth. The US made a deliberate decision here for both operational and strategic reasons. Since it was all all-in fighter it could not be shaped as stealthily as F-22, and also they did not want any other country to get access to a fighter as stealthy as any they had.

Only area where F-35 is likely to be better than J-31 is in radar and electronics. Is this enough to make up for all the deficiencies that I have listed above? China now has great experience in making radars on platforms such as SAMs, ships and fighters. It will only close the gap as time progresses.

Ive personally never seen his credentials have you? Im the king of france btw. Anyway, i dont really care who he purports to be. He has an obvious agenda. And hes been calling anyone in this thread who disagrees with him , trolls. So where you get off criticizing me and giving him a pass is beyond me. He was also very disrespecful to an an acredited fighter jet designer Sprey, he didnt sems to have qualms about being disrespectfl of him or his legacy. Again, all in order to project his agenda.

We are all the sme here and we should all be held to these standards. It shouldnt be arbitrary. But thanks for making your point in a repectful way.

Relax dude he is a professional ex USAAF pilot or technician please be respectful to others even if u disagree.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom